AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inMovie Review - Page 3 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyMovie Review - Page 3 EmptyMovie Review - Page 3 Empty 
gin (20877)
Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyMovie Review - Page 3 EmptyMovie Review - Page 3 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

Movie Review

Go down 
+11
Pi-O-My
stuntdog
ExpletiveDeleted
Zaphod
Big John
desi
iwantmycrayons
blondie
Ez
Derek
gin
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Zaphod

Zaphod

Movie Review - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptySun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Paddington: absolutely perfect movie if one is good for british type movies, i can't find any flaws. total funny, feel good, family friendly, fun scenes. I'd put Willy Wonka ahead of it as that finds humor in children getting come comeuppances and that appeals to the evil adult side of me, but beyond that just as good. Maybe better musical songs from the intermittent groups chiming in for Paddington, but absolutely solid.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Unsane - ok, I had to bail on this one. 20 minutes in and I'm already scared pooless. things like this terrify me.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 12:12 pm

The Grey - what a fun way to start the day (NOT). i love Liam Neeson and the rest of the cast did well, but man what a bleak story. Great scenery tho.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 1:38 pm

I liked The Grey a lot. But I definitely needed a drink afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 8:03 pm

absolutely. and i love wolves too, so imagine my internal conflict. beautiful animals in their natural habitat, defending against humans plopped down against their will in a place they do not wish to be. it's a cock up of the highest degree, and nobody's winning anything.

BUT i do hope there's a Grey 2. solid good drama there.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 3:13 pm

trying Unsane again, past the admittance part.  getting interesting, char development is good.

WOAH WOAH Damon is in this. ante upped a lot.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 4:21 pm

I know not of these movies you speak
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Unsane is out now, with Claire Foy. very good but unsettling as hell.

Grey is from 2011 i believe...Liam Neeson vs nature.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Unsane - very good. worth a rental.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 4:47 pm

a rental???
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 5:20 pm

yeah amazon rental, hi?
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Hmm, Liam Neeson vs. nature, not sure which I'd root for.

Anybody seen The Fits? Imagine if Tarkovsky made a movie about a pre-teen girl. Ok, he did, Monkey in Stalker, but she was a small, though crucial, part in it. Instead of those looong Tarkovskian monologues, Fits has stand battles. It's hard to believe that this is Anna Rose Holmer's first feature because it's so self-assured, and she really knows what to do with the camera. (The title refers to a physical fit, like a seizure, but it also refers to trying to fit in, in both a good, team-spirit way and a bad, conformist way.)

Last edited by Pi-O-My on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Pacific Rim Uprising - eh not bad so far. not as good writing as the first one. plus Clint Eastwood's son has a lead part, and when I see his face I see Clint but not the Clint voice coming out, which is taking some getting used to.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Upgrade 9/10. Opening weekend worthy - If you like fun action flicks, this movie is for you. Best action movie I've seen in recent me memory. Very, super awesome.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 1:33 pm

rewatch of The Ritual: really really good horror this. Tension and good writing make a great movie, likely on a shoestring budget. Well done guys.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Unsane Not worthy, 5/10 - Skip this one unless you're a major B-Movie horror fan. Even for that genre alone it's only marginal. Overall, it's pretty bad.

Hereditary Redbox worthy, 6/10 - Not particularly scary but there is some tension throughout. The ending is dumb.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Unsane: good movie if you have psych problems and can account for that mindset. if you can't, you just don't get it. go thru therapy with 3+ therapists and get what you're seeing.

Blood Father: never even heard of this until a podcast mentioned it. Mel Gibson, father who's daughter's gone off rails. very Ransomish in the portrayal, but hey I loved I loved Ransom so no bad points there. 7/10.  maybe a bit more depth on Mel's character, he's interesting but not much history given.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Everything you say is invalid.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 pm

There are plenty of places on the internet to go if one wants a flamewar. Let's not be one of them.

____

Has anybody seen Super Troopers 2 yet? I'm seeing wildly varying reviews with very little middle ground.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 pm

No flame war. Just tryna his goat lol, but you ruined it.

ST2 is on my must see list.

Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Baa
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 pm

baa agreed
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 1:54 pm

rewatch of Contagion: i need to get more scares in my life, so watching this fun flick.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Zaphod wrote:
rewatch of Contagion: i need to get more scares in my life, so watching this fun flick.

Yeah, good movie, though not a good one to watch if you're home in bed with the flu...

Mixed response to In the Fade. (A woman’s husband and young son are killed by a terrorist bomb she suspects was set off by neo-Nazis who hated her mixed – Aryan and Kurdish – family.) It’s divided into three parts, with the middle being a boring trial, which either takes up the majority of the running time or else it just feels like it does. Anyway, Diane Kruger is onscreen pretty much nonstop, and sometimes her character is heart-wrenching and sometimes she’s flat out stupid, but Kruger is consistently fantastic. And the photography in the first and third parts works really well at conveying interior tensions.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Hereditary: alright. disturbing, not on the level of Exorcist disturbing tho. unsettling may be a better term. well done toni c, i liked and disliked her simultaneously as her character.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Marwencol: 10/10. amazing story.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 5:02 pm

Ghost Stories - surprisingly good movie based on a stage play. good creepy atmosphere and while you think you've figured out the story early on, you haven't. 8/10. Martin Freeman being particularly creepy, well worth watching.

Last edited by Zaphod on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 5:10 pm

seriously I have never heard of 98% of these films
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Exp - I deliberately try to find the obscure films that came and went without fanfare and many times without success. It's pointless reviewing the blockbusters, everyone hears about them. Finding the unknown/less known gems is the fun challenge.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Welcome To Marwen is coming out this fall starring Steve Carell.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 6:55 pm

JC did you see Supertroopers 2 yet?
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Big John wrote:

yeah, saw the trailer. i can't say I'm a fan - it is like Pixar mashup meets reality. i thought a lot of the greatness of the original is it's related as how the artist sees it (and by extension, the viewer creates his own visualization of what the artists describes, which is brilliant) . not a fan of producers deciding it needs to be animated to bring it to life. BUT I do like Carell, so I'll give it a looksee.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 7:26 pm

His Royal Dorkness wrote:

Nope.  It's one of those rare new releases that hasn't  shown up online yet.

Zaphod wrote:
Big John wrote:

yeah, saw the trailer. i can't say I'm a fan - it is like Pixar mashup meets reality. i thought a lot of the greatness of the original is it's related as how the artist sees it (and by extension, the viewer creates his own visualization of what the artists describes, which is brilliant) . not a fan of producers deciding it needs to be animated to bring it to life. BUT I do like Carell, so I'll give it a looksee.

Okay.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 pm

I would suggest seeing the original before this version of it. I think it'll give more depth to the character, as it's based in fact. JMO. Carell can pretty much sell any movie, he's that likable.

eta: I was an avid modeler as a kid, I loved creating dioramas and stories around the models. So likely I'm way biased in liking model making movies.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Seven Psychopaths: good clever writing by the same writer/director who did 'In Bruges'. More a comedy than anything else, it's an interesting story of 3 main characters. Sam Rockwell is particular effective as one of the 3. 9/10.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Ant Man and the Wasp: not great but pretty good. It has some funny moments, and the few action bits were pretty good. I could've skipped the whole subatomic story part, that did NOTHING for me.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Chef: dumb, sappy, brilliant. Came out of left field and totally punched my cajones emotionally. Favreau while not an amazing up front actor came so thru on this. Well done.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 am

I'm about 30 minutes into it and not a single laugh or even a chuckle. Not sure I'll finish it any time soon. Very disappointed.
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 3:13 am

Did anyone else check out the HBO doc Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind? I really liked it. smile
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Big John wrote:

I'm about 30 minutes into it and not a single laugh or even a chuckle. Not sure I'll finish it any time soon. Very disappointed.

ah man, that's a bummer. had hopes for that one.

starting to watch Tully with Charlize Theron, will report back.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 22, 2018 5:23 pm

Yeah looks like SuperTroopers2 will be disappointing. 88% of google users liked it, BUT it's getting widely panned by critics and by both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. A 41 rating on Metacritic and 31% on RotTom, in spite of generally soft treatment from the general public, don't paint a rosy picture.

I'll be happy if i enjoy it, and i know i'll watch it at some point, but with what i've heard so far, i'm in no rush.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Blindness: I don't even remember this being advertised, but it came out in 2008. Pretty good tense drama, with some nice acting by Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo. In a nutshell, a blindness epidemic breaks out, and JM is one of the few people left who can see. She has to help her hubby MR and their friends survive.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Carnage: OMG so uncomfortable from this movie from 10 minutes in. will report more later.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Tickled, 7/10, Cable TV worthy - This is a documentary about the world of competitive endurance tickling and it's dark underbelly. Yes, you heard me right. Competitive endurance tickling is a thing.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Carnage: oh my. bitter angry delightful in your face emotions. can't recommend more as a repressed adult. 10/10.

Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Overboard 2018, 6/10, Cable worthy - Mostly boring but there several sequences near the end that are rather moving. Not sure they're worth sitting through the entire movie though.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2018 3:04 pm

MI: Fallout. Amazing, he keeps one upping himself in the excitement of these flicks. Roller coaster ride all the way thru. A bit long and some definitely implausible stuff happens, but that is half the fun.

Oh and somebody's been watching Ronin would be my guess :goof:
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 2:28 pm

A Prayer Before Dawng, 6/10, Cable worthy - Decent portrayal of true event surrounding a boxer's imprisonment and redemption in Thailand.

Last edited by Big John on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected Movie Title)
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Extinction, 6/10, Cable worthy - Netflix original about an alien invasion with a twist. Clearly a made for cable movie but enjoyable for enthusiasts of the genre.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 4:32 pm

Wow, Ronin, I’d forgotten all about that movie, and it’s so good! (Did you know that, despite the pseudonym and according to the director, John Frankenheimer, the screenplay they ended up using was written by David Mamet!)

Experimenter (not to be confused with The Experiment, which was ok, or Belko Experiment, which I thought was terrible)– very interesting, and frightening, look at Stanley Milgram’s experiments about people’s willingness to go along with authority. The movie itself feels cold and a bit experimental (actors talking directly to the camera, still photos as backdrops to some “naturalistic” seeming scenes.) After watching it, you feel like the viewer was a lab rat, seeing things one way and then another, which is pretty appropriate. And speaking of character actors, there are moments with John Leguizamo, Anton Yelchin, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Tom Farrell…
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie Review
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next