A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Doctor Who

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nessess

PostSubject: Doctor Who   Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Seriously... do none of you watch this?!?!

The show celebrated it's 50th Anniversary over the weekend with a special. I went and saw it in 3D at the movie theater and I have to say I was NOT disappointed.

Going to see it in the theater was reminiscent of going to see Rocky Horror Picture Show in the theaters. Lots of people dressed up, and lots of cheering and rambunctiousness.

There was an audible "AWWWWWWWWWWWW" when Tennant said "I don't want to go"
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:46 pm

I am waiting to watch it with Derek smile

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:49 pm

i watch it still...been watching the marathon quite a bit the past week...
Back to top Go down
http://afterlost.forumotion.com
Goof

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:48 pm

yay I watched it! And there are all sorts of Easter egg goodies through out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:59 pm

I just started to watch this show. I love it! I watched all the episodes with Christopher Eccleston.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 am

OK I've watched a few of the David Tennant episodes. I know he's supposed to be the most popular Dr Who, but I like Eccleston much much better.

Tennant is more goofy and silly, rather than clever and smart.

I had previously watched one or two of the Tennant episodes and never liked them. That's why I thought I wouldn't like Dr Who. But when I watched Eccleston, I really liked them.

Maybe Tennant will grow on me.

Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:13 am

i didnt like tennant at first either...but he grew on me and i ended up liking him the most of all the past three doctors...i think he'll grow on ya too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:37 pm

I like smart and clever more than I like goofy. But, we'll see. I only watched a few of Tennant's episodes. I'm hoping that he develops his Dr Who a bit more.

Eccleston seemed to have a lot more depth.
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:52 pm

he'll have his smart and clever moments....i thought just like you when i began the david tennant phase..really missed number 9 and didnt like david at all...but he turns out to be pretty awesome and has more depth to him as it goes on...im hoping he grows on you like he did on me and des
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:52 am

With each new incarnation of the Doctor, I always immediately hate the new Doctor. Tennant was no different, but as time went on he grew to become my absolute favorite doctor. He gets much more serious and even goes to a very dark place IMO during his tenure as the doctor. And so far he's the only doctor who has completely reduced me to a blubbering mess. I'm not ashamed to admit that I wept like a baby in one of his episodes.

Each doctor has their own distinct personality Colleen, but each one has their own merit and brings something new and special to the character.
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 am

i agree ness...i automatically hated each new doctor after growing attached to the previous one..but as t ime went on i found myself liking tennant more than number 9...he does get more serious and a lil dark at times...and he has some intense emotional episodes....his last episode got to me! a couple of my favorite ones are the library one, the one where he's traveling on that shuttle thing on the diamond planet, the traffic one in the dome where everyone just kept driving in circles, and some others...i should learn the names of the episodes i guess ha...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:00 pm

I have watched one or two more of the Tennant episodes, and he does seem to get less goofy. So, it seems that his character is developed more as the episodes go one.

But does he ever stop doing that thing with his eyes?! Which drives me absolutely nuts! He does that real "wide eyed" look that's so fake and crazy looking.  gah 

I just watched the episode where Mickey decides to leave them and stays on that parallel earth. I cried for Mickey in that one.
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:01 pm

his eyes bothered me at first too...that too grew on me and i didnt notice it anymore..not sure if he cuts down on it or if i jus quit paying attention to it...he drove me crazy at first
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Just wait. She's going to get to 11 and complain about the chin non stop.

It'll be ok Colleen.

Just remember......

Bow ties are cool.
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:55 pm

lol yeah....i couldnt stand matt smith at first either ha...he grew on me as well...not as much as tennant but i did end up liking him too...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Off hand I would say that the little I've seen of # 11- I like him better.

And, Ness - I do like bow ties.  smile 
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:29 am

What about Fez's? judgy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:32 pm

OK So Tennant is growing on me. I like some of the more serious type episodes, like the one where he changed to a human and hid as a professor.

And, OMG! I just realized that he played Barty Crouch Jr in Harry Potter!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 pm

I looked up his wiki page - this was really interesting:

"At the age of three, Tennant told his parents that he wanted to become an actor because he was a fan of Doctor Who, but they tried to encourage him to aim for more conventional work. He watched almost every Doctor Who episode for years, and he spoke to Tom Baker at a book-signing event in Glasgow."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:28 am

TONIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 pm

OMG!!! This show just gets better and better! I'm on to the Matt Smith episodes now. Just watched Vincent and the Doctor.....about Vincent van Gogh. So AWESOME!!!

My husband even watched it with me and was teary eyed at the end. And, if you know my husband, he never gets teary eyed.
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:11 pm

that was one of my fav episodes too...pretty cleverly written and an awesome story...love how they include the tardis in the painting real small.. id like to get one like that to hang one day
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:45 pm

I already don't like Capaldi. Sad

Give me a few months. I'm sure he'll grow on me eventually.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:59 pm

I haven't see it yet, and won't be able to for awhile since I don't have cable, just netflix.

I was wondering what kind of personality they were going to emphasize with Capaldi.

Someone posted a pic that was entitled evolution of a Dr Who fan. I can't find it so, I will just describe it.

1. First is a picture of the Dr Who fan crying because the current Doctor is dying

2. Then the Dr Who fan is sad because they hate the new Doctor.

3. Then the fan likes the new guy.

4. Then the fan is crying again because the Doctor they hated they like now and he is dying.

It's true with me. I didn't like Tennant at all. Now I like him. Matt Smith is good, but I haven't finished watching all his episodes yet.

But, I still like #9 best so far.

But I guess that may be because #9 is My Doctor.

I may start watching the classic episodes.

Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:12 pm

So true.. #10 is my Doctor  Very Happy 

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:16 pm

ladycolleen wrote:
I haven't see it yet, and won't be able to for awhile since I don't have cable, just netflix.

I was wondering what kind of personality they were going to emphasize with Capaldi.

Someone posted a pic that was entitled evolution of a Dr Who fan. I can't find it so, I will just describe it.

1. First is a picture of the Dr Who fan crying because the current Doctor is dying

4. Then the fan is crying again because the Doctor they hated they like now and he is dying.

It's true with me. I didn't like Tennant at all. Now I like him. Matt Smith is good, but I haven't finished watching all his episodes yet.

I like #9 the character. I don't care for #9 the actor. I think perhaps I should wait until after Colleen watches the 50th to detail why I'm so angry with Eccleston.

#10 is my favorite Doctor, but the Ponds (including River) are my favorite companions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 pm

I heard that Eccleston had issues with the production people(?)

I don't know what it was all about, but I love #9!

Here's a picture of the son of one of my friends who was dressed up as #11

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:29 pm

She had it posted on facebook for most of the day, and nobody recognized it until I saw it late in the day!

I said - OMG! Baby Doctor #11

She was waiting for someone to say - Bow ties are cool. lol
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:09 am

@Nessess wrote:
ladycolleen wrote:

I like #9 the character.  I don't care for #9 the actor.  I think perhaps I should wait until after Colleen watches the 50th to detail why I'm so angry with Eccleston.

#10 is my favorite Doctor, but the Ponds (including River) are my favorite companions.

10's my favorite...what happened in the 50th Ness? I dont remember? as far as companions..i love rose and donna noble...liked mickey (hated him at first)....jacks cool...not sure if i like pond..or rory ..
Back to top Go down
Goof

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:55 pm

:x Baby!

I had vague memories of Tom Baker as Dr. Who so I knew there was a history of some sort when I started watching #9 and up.  Through that time I've gotten a better idea of the over all history.  I can't really pic one favorite, I've liked all the new ones.  Capaldi kind of creeps me out so far, but since he wasn't all that creepy in "Fires of Pompeii" maybe he won't be so bad.
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:20 pm

haha this is awesome.. Karen Gillian's Dalek Impression

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:31 pm

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:44 am

"Doctor Who’s lost episode ‘Shada’ – completed with animation – gets BBC America slot July 19"
https://nerdvanamedia.com/television/shada-doctor-who-lost-episode-bbc-america/127717/

According to cable TV listings, a “lost” episode of Doctor Who will air on BBC America July 19.

Quote :
“Shada,” the latest and youngest lost or incomplete serial from the 1963-89 British sci-fi series to be restored, was written by Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency author Douglas Adams. It tells the story of a retired Time Lord at Cambridge who hides a dangerous artifact that is stolen by an evil alien who seeks to gain access to the secrets of an infamous prison planet called Shada.

Quote :
The original on-location “Shada” footage has been remastered and re-edited with film shot at Cambridge, and combined with all-new color animation using voices of the original cast, including Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor and Lalla Ward as his Time Lady companion, Romana. (Studio footage remains in its original standard definition.)
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Saw the OP and thought it was Ness, then saw the date. smile
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Saw a recent post and thought it was info on next season :sadwalk:

I want this show back.
Back to top Go down
sandi

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:38 am

Quote :
"Doctor Who’s lost episode ‘Shada’ – completed with animation – gets BBC America slot July 19"

Did anyone else watch this?
Back to top Go down
sandi

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:59 am

DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

Returns Sunday, October 7
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:18 pm

@sandi wrote:
DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

Returns Sunday, October 7

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:53 pm

I AM IN LOVE WITH THE NEW DOCTOR.

THAT WAS GOOD.

I AM EXCITED.

AND HAPPY.

AND I WANT THE NEXT EPISODE.

TIM SHAW
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:07 am

@MrBill60 wrote:
Saw the OP and thought it was Ness,  then saw the date. smile

I am the OP on this one lol. I've been posting with these folks off and on since sometime around 2007 or 2008 on one forum or another.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am

Yeah, I assumed it was you, lol.
Back to top Go down
sandi

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 am

@vonnegut wrote:

THAT WAS GOOD.

I AM EXCITED.

AND HAPPY.

TIM SHAW

Well, I don't know if can be "IN LOVE WITH THE NEW DOCTOR", but I'm willing to give her a shot based on the premier. I have to admit, I had reservations about a female doctor. She reminds me of both eccleston and tennant at this point -- I don't know why.

All in all, it was a good first episode. I wonder if she'll pursue the new bad guys when she recovers the tardis? After all, there are people in stasis that they've captured in the past and in need of rescue.

I also wonder what form the tardis will take -- will it be different or the same blue box?
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:10 pm

@sandi wrote:
@vonnegut wrote:

THAT WAS GOOD.

I AM EXCITED.

AND HAPPY.

TIM SHAW

Well, I don't know if can be "IN LOVE WITH THE NEW DOCTOR", but I'm willing to give her a shot based on the premier.  I have to admit, I had reservations about a female doctor.  She reminds me of both eccleston and tennant at this point -- I don't know why.

All in all, it was a good first episode.  I wonder if she'll pursue the new bad guys when she recovers the tardis?  After all, there are people in stasis that they've captured in the past and in need of rescue.

I also wonder what form the tardis will take -- will it be different or the same blue box?  

I see a lot more of Tennant. She has the same energy, but without being too childish (Smith). And definitely more friendly/empathetic like 10 and unlike 12. One thing that stood out to me is how she was instantly connecting to the humans as people, something that 12 seemed to struggle with. I'd prob have to see a transcript to pick it out, but there was a lot of her really looking at them, saying stuff like "I'm sorry you had to see this" when they found the dead brother, etc.
And "I'm calling you Yaz, because we're friends now" 55 That has a Tennant flavor to me.
Just her way of talking, too.

I love all three of the new companions, instantly. Prob Ryan most of all. I like his face. I mean, not just that he's hot, but his facial expressions. And I hope that he falls down a lot because him falling on the bike over and over again was hilarious, even if it wasn't supposed to be.
Yaz has a great name. I'm not getting as much personality out of her yet, other than a generic "want more from life" vibe-- she seemed like she was mostly just reacting. But it's still early on.
The Wilf-imposter is not Wilf. And I keep comparing him to Wilf in my head and finding him lacking. But I still like him. I hope he stays.

As far as the plot of the ep, it was a'ight. It was no "11th Hour." But then, when Moffatt was good... he was very, very good. I don't think that the plot was any more camp/absurd than 10's first ep. It had good lines, it got Whittaker into the role, it intro'd the characters, it was fun. "Tim Shaw" will make me laugh forever.

And they saved the "I am the Doctor" for the perfect moment, and Whittaker sold it, hard.

As far as the Tardis, I'm guessing a makeover. All the other Doctors got one. I hope they don't change it too much, though. I'm completely underwhelmed by the new Sonic (although her making it was a great scene). It looks... weird. Maybe the Tardis will spit out a new one as it sometimes does, and she can pack the one she made away for a rainy day.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:11 pm

As far as "pursuing the new bad guys," that hadn't even really occurred to me. But it would make sense. If it's done right.
I hadn't even thought of an arc for this season, I guess I have it so stuck in my head that "done with Moffatt and his sometimes-brilliant-sometimes-absurd super intricate season arcs" that I haven't considered it too much, what Chibnall will do.
Back to top Go down
sandi

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:56 am

Well, I can't imagine The Doctor not trying to rescue the people, so I do think she'll wind up tracing her new enemy at some point.  Even so -- that might not be the season arc -- there might be more.

vonne wrote:
I love all three of the new companions, instantly. Prob Ryan most of all. I like his face. I mean, not just that he's hot, but his facial expressions. And I hope that he falls down a lot because him falling on the bike over and over again was hilarious, even if it wasn't supposed to be.
Yaz has a great name. I'm not getting as much personality out of her yet, other than a generic "want more from life" vibe-- she seemed like she was mostly just reacting. But it's still early on.
The Wilf-imposter is not Wilf. And I keep comparing him to Wilf in my head and finding him lacking. But I still like him. I hope he stays.
I do like the new companions, but I don't know that I would want all of them around all of the time.  Maybe they're just there until the real new companion can be introduced or maybe just one of them will make it through.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I liked it. I enjoyed the episode story itself. I am not sure it would be an overarching story arc, but the rescue of those in trophy case stasis can certainly make another episode. I'm not even sure a season long story arc is really necessary.

I was okay with Whittaker. Less silly than Smith... more empathetic and caring than Capaldi, so yes she fits into the DT mold more than any other Doctor. That is a wise move in my opinion. Dealing already with
acceptance due to gender change, why not have the character be most like the most beloved previous Doctor...

The story itself as noted was solid in many ways. I Loved how it illustrated right away how The Doctor changes people from ones who run towards aliens instead of away from them. I mean that really is the message of Doctor Who; be accepting, be curious, be courageous, make a difference... even when those traits don't always end up great. It is still the right way to live. 

As far as the companions go, I liked Ryan the most by far. It seems they wanted each character to represent other previous companions or companion traits. We've got a Wilf... we've got a mashup of Donna/Bill (wants more), with Ryan being more of a gender reversed Rose... although the traits are not that clearly defined in each individual, all of those things are represented. I wonder if the idea of an ensemble was chosen because it spreads the attention away a bit from just Jody Whittaker in case she
struggled early in the role. With 4 characters there is more than enough to attract each potential viewer to something they like which may further ease the transition to a controversial choice of Doctor.

Anyway... I ramble.

It was solid.. I'm in.
Back to top Go down
sandi

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Warthawg wrote:
I wonder if the idea of an ensemble was chosen because it spreads the attention away a bit from just Jody Whittaker in case she struggled early in the role. With 4 characters there is more than enough to attract each potential viewer to something they like which may further ease the transition to a controversial choice of Doctor.

It's been ages but I think the first doctor started out with 4 companions as well -- one being his -- granddaughter/daughter? I can't remember. I do agree the right 4 characters would help the transition. In the past though, it seems to me tptb eased the transition doctor to doctor by carrying over the companion(s) and then later, transitioning companions. This one was done all at once. I don't expect all four of them to last though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who   

Back to top Go down

Doctor Who
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-