AFTER LOST

a place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost..

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

who do you got?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Derek

PostSubject: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 am

When it comes to team-building in the long term, football is for the young. Teams drafting well will find success year after year, while teams more interested in spackling their woebegone rosters with overpriced free agents will pay with implosion season after season. That’s not exactly news to anyone in the game not named Dan Snyder … but when looking at the youngest Super Bowl teams of all time, it’s amazing how valuable it is to get things right, right from the start.

If you want to start an NFL dynasty, it’s generally best to do it young. And in this regard, the 2013 Seattle Seahawks are in remarkably good shape — they’re the second-youngest team ever to reach the Super Bowl. According to data compiled by Chase Stuart of Pro Football Reference and Football Perspective, the Seahawks’ roster had an average age of 26.4 years, putting them a few hundredths of an aggregate year younger than the 1971 Miami Dolphins, the youngest Super Bowl team ever. And in looking at all the great dynasties that have spanned the Super Bowl era, youth is the common characteristic. The 1992 Dallas Cowboys, who went on to win three Super Bowls in a four-year stretch, tied for sixth-youngest ever (27 years) with the 1999 St. Louis Rams, who made two Super Bowls in three years and featured one of the greatest offenses of all time.

The 2001 New England Patriots, who helped keep that Rams run from becoming more than a one-time thing, and also won three Super Bowls in four seasons, were one exception to the rule with an average age of 28.5 years, and this appears to be Bill Belichick’s preference — the 2011 Pats who lost to the New York Giants also had an average player age of 28.5.

One thing’s for sure — if you want to see your window close quickly, ignore the age rule. The three oldest Super Bowl teams — the 2002 Oakland Raiders (30.7 average age), 1998 Denver Broncos (30.1 average age) and the 1972 Washington Redskins (29.8 average age) each went through hard times right after their appearances. The Raiders haven’t been back (and aren’t even close), the Redskins took a decade to get back and the Broncos haven’t been back since the 38-year-old John Elway won his second Lombardi Trophy. Until now, of course.

By the way, the Broncos are also set up with youth — their average age of 27.9 puts them in a bottleneck with six other teams (the 1977 Cowboys; the 2007 Giants; the 1990 Giants; the 2004 Philadelphia Eagles; the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers; the 1979 Rams; and the 1983 Washington Redskins). And that number obviously drops if you remove their 37-year-old starting quarterback. Which, of course, the Broncos would prefer that you didn’t.

Here’s the entire list of average ages, minus this year’s teams. And here’s a bit about how the five youngest teams were built.
Back to top Go down
http://afterlost.forumotion.com
iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:36 am

I'm gonna go with the seahawks, even though I can't stand pete carrol, i just think their defense will give manning a hard time.

but it doesn't really matter to me on way or the other.

I just hope it's snowing to beat the band ( whatever that means) on Super Bowl sunday
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 am

you should go with the Broncos..since im a Pey fan... :) work with me here..most my teams suck...
Back to top Go down
blondie

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 am

Can you belive they are actually considering changing the date of the superbowl if its supposed to snow? they could move it to Friday or Saturday instead. Its a winter sport for crying out loud!

Northerners will gladly buy the tickets if people don't want to sit in the cold.
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 am

thats pathetic...
Back to top Go down
blondie

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:29 am

I know

with all the panic I'm guessing that they won't be allowing it to be played up here anymore

that sucks because they were going to put Philly on the list. Not that I'd be going anywhere near the city if that happened but I think it would've been exciting.
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:48 am

Derek wrote:
you should go with the Broncos..since im a Pey fan... :)   work with me here..most my teams suck...
I live in New England, they would kick me out if I rooted for manning  tongue 
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:49 am

blondie wrote:
Can you belive they are actually considering changing the date of the superbowl if its supposed to snow?  they could move it to Friday or Saturday instead.  Its a winter sport for crying out loud!

Northerners will gladly buy the tickets if people don't want to sit in the cold.
the super bowl should be played at all stadiums on a rotating basis
Back to top Go down
Ez

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:46 pm

I got Denver, I think he will short ball them to death then burn over the top, I don't think the Seahawks have enough offense.

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:06 pm

iwantmycrayons wrote:
I'm gonna go with the seahawks, even though I can't stand pete carrol, i just think their defense will give manning a hard time.

I just hope it's snowing to beat the band ( whatever that means)  on Super Bowl sunday

to beat the band

Also, to beat all . To the greatest possible degree. For example, The baby was crying to beat the band , or The wind is blowing to beat the band , or John is dressed up to beat all . This idiom uses beat in the sense of "surpass." The first term may, according to one theory, allude to a desire to arrive before the musicians who led a parade, so as to see the entire event. Another theory holds that it means "make more noise than (and thereby beat) a loud band." [Colloquial; late 1800s]
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:10 pm

blondie wrote:
Can you belive they are actually considering changing the date of the superbowl if its supposed to snow?  they could move it to Friday or Saturday instead.  Its a winter sport for crying out loud!

thats because all the people that can actually afford to buy tickets are mostly wealthy corporate suit types that really all they want is a party in some place warm
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:11 pm

and Seattle for me, just because its geographically close to me
Back to top Go down
blondie

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:12 pm

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
blondie wrote:

thats because all the people that can actually afford to buy tickets are mostly wealthy corporate suit types that really all they want is a party in some place warm

then they don't need to involve football

1/2 of the NFL is used to playing in the cold. The Eagles would've gladly played in the snow for Superbowl.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:20 pm

tickets are way out of reach for joe blue collar sixpack who makes up the biggest part of the fan base
Back to top Go down
blondie

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:26 pm

true, I heard this morning that someone was selling theirs for a million or more

Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 pm

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
iwantmycrayons wrote:

I just hope it's snowing to beat the band ( whatever that means)  on Super Bowl sunday

to beat the band

Also, to beat all .  To the greatest possible degree. For example, The baby was crying to beat the band , or The wind is blowing to beat the band , or John is dressed up to beat all . This idiom uses beat  in the sense of "surpass." The first term may, according to one theory, allude to a desire to arrive before the musicians who led a parade, so as to see the entire event. Another theory holds that it means "make more noise than (and thereby beat) a loud band." [Colloquial; late 1800s]
thank you Delipedia
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:33 pm

speaking of being pansies about weather ...all the schools here are on 2 hour delays tomorrow cuz it's going to be cold...we didnt have that shit when i was in school...americans are such babies...
Back to top Go down
blondie

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:24 am

lol2 I'm starting to agree.

Even with the not driving in snow. Even I think they've been overrreacting lately and I'm the first one to stay home.

It feels like Spring here right now though. It's going up to 40 until after lunch, then the temps plunge again for tonight. And more snow.
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 am

i mean..put on a coat..hat..gloves..stand outside for five minutes waiting on your heated bus..get to school and sit in your heated classroom..
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:52 pm

worst super bowl ever...commercials were terrrible too....missed halftime but i heard that was decent
Back to top Go down
blondie

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:23 am

smilingnerd I concur 

The only two commercials I liked involved dogs:  the Budweiser puppy and that dog with the huge head and tiny body, the compromise one.

I didn't see half time eithrr
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:05 am

Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Finally a Championship team in the Pacific Northwest.
I'm not a big fan of defense, but defense wins championships.I sure enjoyed watching them stymie Manning. That miss cue on the opening play got into his head and he couldn't recover.
What idiot thought it would be a good idea to open the second half by kicking it right to Harvin.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 pm

gotta change my avi, torts suspension is over today
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?    Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:51 pm

they were paid off..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: who do you got?