AFTER LOST

a place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost..

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Derek

PostSubject: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 am

Major League Baseball informed teams Tuesday that it has approved a padded protective cap designed to provide more head protection for pitchers struck by line drives.

Dan Halem, MLB executive vice president for labor relations, said the league’s testing of numerous prototypes from different vendors for padded caps and approval of a cap came after consultation with the players’ association.

“We’re excited to have a product that meets our safety criteria,” Halem told Outside the Lines, adding that baseball will continue its efforts to come up with more options. “MLB is committed to working with manufacturers to develop products that offer maximum protection to our players, and we’re not stopping at all.”
The padded caps will be available for spring training and their use will be optional.

The MLB initiative comes 17 months after then-A’s pitcher Brandon McCarthy required surgery on life-threatening brain injuries after being struck in the head by a line drive. Outside the Lines research reports 12 MLB pitchers have been hit in the head by line drives in the last six seasons, including five pitchers during a five-month stretch of action in 2012 and 2013. McCarthy was critical of previous protective products available at the time that Blue Jays pitcher J.A. Happ was struck in May.

CORCORAN: Five ex-All Stars attempting comebacks

The company says the caps are a little more than a half-inch thicker in the front and an inch thicker on the sides — near the temples — than standard caps, and afford protection for frontal impact locations against line drives of up to 90 mph and for side impact locations at up to 85 mph. The soft padding, isoBlox says, is made of “plastic injection molded polymers combined with a foam substrate” and is designed to diffuse energy upon impact through a combination of dispersion and absorption techniques.
Back to top Go down
http://afterlost.forumotion.com
blondie

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 am

lets see how many wear them
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:03 am

yea ...doubt any do...they'll be "sissified" in the eyes of the others...or they at least think thats what others are thinking of them..
Back to top Go down
blondie

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:42 am

that's exactly what I think

just like wearing short sleeves in a blizzard :|
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:05 pm

yea..id wear one depending on how it looked though..if they look god awful bulky and 'special' i wouldnt..but if you cant tell much a difference id wear it...

had a guy in my softball league that wore a batting helmet when he pitched...with a face mask on it...only one to do it...but i didnt blame him cuz we were hitting rockets right past pitchers faces every game..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:29 am

Forget that noise about being sissy....I'd wear it....a brief baseball career is nothing compared to being carried off in a stretcher sufering from the effects of a concussion the rest of my life. Some batters I swear aim for the pitcher....
Back to top Go down
blondie

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:10 pm

"hit the ball up the middle and good things happen" - The Sarge (Gary Matthews)

He was one of our broadcasters and he'd say this at least once per game. Maybe hitters are just trying to get on base. But it is scary when a pitcher gets hit, especially the ones who aren't in a position to use their glove to try to catch the ball before it gets to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Most of the time their back is turned on the plate anyway, at the time it's coming back to them...
Back to top Go down
Derek

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:16 pm

my pitching form and mechanics were based on how i landed after the pitch because i was scaraed to death of getting a rocket to the mouth....i was basically in fielding position like a short stop after every pitch...in highschool that is...im sure they hit the ball harder in the majors lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Chances are, I'll bet  55 
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:28 pm

meepsrus wrote:
Chances are, I'll bet  55 
unless you are the tigers in the playoffs  cool Evil 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:38 pm

cry 
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:43 pm

meepsrus wrote:
cry 
it was too easy to pass up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats   

Back to top Go down

MLB approves pitchers wearing protective hats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1