AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inAnime TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Anime EmptyAnime EmptyAnime Empty 
gin (20877)
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

Anime

Go down 
+4
Falco
crisanja
frogge
vonnegut
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Anime   Anime EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 5:12 am

We had....HAD....a small but devoted group of anime fans at our last home. In the hope that some of them make it over I am going to start a thread here.

It's about 2/3 through the Winter Anime Season in Japan, do not think I have ever had a season where i dropped so many shows half way in on the basis of failure to fulfill expectations. I will do a post mortem on the season at the end of the month, list the shows I liked and some of the ones I dropped...
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin
desi

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 2:49 pm

My boyfriend recently got me into some anime, I have been watching Titans and One Piece
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 3:42 pm

FMA:B ruined anime for me, because nothing else will be as good.

Has anyone else seen the live-action movie FMA on Netflix? It's such a treat. The casting is insane.
Back to top Go down
frogge

frogge

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 6:03 pm

No, but it's in our queue. Generally, the live action movies aren't as good.

desi wrote:
My boyfriend recently got me into some anime, I have been watching Titans and One Piece
Wow, One Piece is a huge commitment! I hope in the least you have gone online to find an episode/arc guide, so you can avoid the filler arcs and stick to the cannon. Titans had us yelling at the TV at a certain point in the first season.

I agree, TBC, this season has had a lot of shows worth stopping. Darling in the FRANXX: Um, Japan... and here I thought you had maxed out being perverted, but wow.

I have been enjoying A Place Further Than the Universe, a nice slice-of-life story about four girls going on a journey to Antarctica. Also Laid Back Camp; it makes camping look so fun! Plus the new season of Ancient Magus's Bride is amazing.
Back to top Go down
crisanja

crisanja

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm getting ready to watch Violet Evergarden.

The live action FMA was great, and like vonne said, the casting is insane. I swear they used some sort of alchemy to just lift the characters directly from the anime.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 6:28 pm

frogge wrote:

It was a bit strange-- it mostly covered just the first 15 episodes or so, with some notable absences, and one death in particular that was WAY early (comparatively).
And it wouldn't be good for someone who hadn't seen the anime.

But it was ABSURDLY fun to watch. You should check it out ASAP.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyMon Mar 05, 2018 8:33 am

*Ignores Kelly's blind obsession with a mediocre shonen magic adventure title*

frogge wrote:

desi wrote:
Wow, One Piece is a huge commitment! I hope in the least you have gone online to find an episode/arc guide, so you can avoid the filler arcs and stick to the cannon. Titans had us yelling at the TV at a certain point in the first season.

I agree, TBC, this season has had a lot of shows worth stopping. Darling in the FRANXX: Um, Japan... and here I thought you had maxed out being perverted, but wow.

I have been enjoying A Place Further Than the Universe, a nice slice-of-life story about four girls going on a journey to Antarctica. Also Laid Back Camp; it makes camping look so fun! Plus the new season of Ancient Magus's Bride is amazing.

I got bored with waiting after the most recent series of Titans aired, started reading the manga on-line. Not going to give anything away, but if they ever get around to animating it you will be yelling a lot more.

A Place Further Than The Universe (Sora yori mo Tooi Basho) is one of the gems of this season. It's almost a shoe-in at this point to win my award for Best New Anime. Death March is interesting, but I had read the manga (curse me for having a manga reader) and the anime is the Reader's Digest version. Seriously. This plot-compression makes me thinks they are going to run the story up to a point which has already been shown in the manga and then end there with no resolution. Hakata Tonkastu Ramens is a seinen action title about contract killers in Fukuoka that is enjoyable if you overlook the show's intrinsic implausibility. Toji no Miko is another action title, teenaged shrine maidens with katanas battling demons. That's about the list of new shows that I haven't dropped.

Violet Evergarden, someone mentioned that, is one of the shows that I have dropped. It started out with an intersecting premise and abandoned semblance of character or plot development about episode four.

The Ancient Magus's Bride, Overlord, Garo: Vanishing Line, and March Comes In Like a Lion are all continuing their runs well and I am still hooked.
Back to top Go down
crisanja

crisanja

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyMon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Damn, I had such high hopes for Violet Evergarden.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyTue Mar 06, 2018 2:30 am

crisanja wrote:
Damn, I had such high hopes for Violet Evergarden.

You might like it. I don't know your standards but I have certain priorities. First I am all about the characters. If they are well done it goes a long way. If the writer just pulls standard character tropes out of a hat to populate their world then the show is a fail for me no matter how much imagination they have put into that world. I'll take a "real world" show with deep characters over a fantastic setting that turns into a standard harem any day. Well, okay, most days. ;) But the first sighting of a tsundere and I am gone. (Side note: Does 2nd Squad Captain Soi Fan count as a Tsundere? Inquiring minds want to know.) Plot is a secondary consideration, but an important one if there is one. To give an example, I am fond of the statement that The X-Files was two different TV shows airing concurrently. One was a serialized drama about a pair of FBI agents attempting to solve a massive government cover-up, the other was an episodic drama about a pair of FBI agents who ran around trying to solve ineffable mysteries, and the two had nothing in common with one another except that they showed the same two agents played by the same two actors. For all intents and purposes the "MOTW" Mulder and Scully might as well have inhabited a different fictional universe from the "Conspiracy" Mulder and Scully.

Violet Evergarden gets a passing mark on characters. There's genuine depth. It gets a fail mark on plot, in my book. It begins with establishing the characters, the setting, moves forward to placing the eponymous lead character in a position and having her learn the skills for it...and then goes into episodic, telling stories about the lead in her position which might be interesting in themselves but do not advance the overall plot in any way. They could be aired in any order and it would not matter. I have seen this done before and it usually means that the writers failed to envision a show with enough legs to last a 13-episode season and so are tossing out mid-season fillers.
Back to top Go down
crisanja

crisanja

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyTue Mar 06, 2018 12:13 pm

I'm with you on this, I love well written characters but you have to do something with them. It's not plug and play.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 2:57 am

One of the major bummers is that among all the great stuff gone with LTV is the RE: Coke Zero satire post I so carefully crafted a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 2:06 pm

I have watched and still do watch a lot of anime.

I'm currently watching Darling in the FranXX and Citrus episodes as they are released.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Falc0 wrote:
I have watched and still do watch a lot of anime.

I'm currently watching Darling in the FranXX and Citrus episodes as they are released.

I wish you had stuck around and joined our discussion back at LTV. But you are here now so the more the merrier. Very Happy

One I forgot to mention is Kokkoku. It checks all the boxes on premise, characters and action. It centers on a multi-generational family living in a modest home. A slob of a man, his twenty-something NEET son, two daughters who work, one of whom is a a single mother to a boy in elementary school, and his father. She show follows Chekov's Premise, that the action should begin immediately, and it does when the boy and the NEET son are kidnapped and held for an impossible ransom. This forces the old man to reveal the family secret...that they are in possession of a stone which allows them to stop time, freezing the world around them into a single instant in which they are free to move about. However, they soon learn that the kidnapping was a ruse to get them to use the stone, that a madman has a stone which slaves to it and activates it at the same time setting the stage for a confrontation in a frozen moment. I am really not sure how I missed mention this one, because it has me on edge waiting to see what happens next, almost as much as watching Attack on Titan the first season. The characters are very well done, even the bad guy is believable because he has reasonable motives.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am

I can't figure out how to quote on this board. It appears I can't use the quick reply at the bottom to get a quote, but I don't see any normal reply button anywhere.

Sorry, I was disgusted with the last season of Lost and fled the board because going back reminded me how shitty the end was. After a while I kinda forgot all about the board.

I'll have to check out Kokkoku, I just added it to my queue.

Have you watched Konosuba? It probably hits too many tropes for your liking, but I love it anyway. Each character is deeply flawed but somehow the MC is able to direct their best traits into synergy that lets them accomplish things nobody else can. Plus it's funny and keeps me laughing. I've also read all the Light Novels and side stories that are out there for this series.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Falc0 wrote:
I can't figure out how to quote on this board. It appears I can't use the quick reply at the bottom to get a quote, but I don't see any normal reply button anywhere.

I figured it out. The Reply button isn't visible on my PC, along with several other buttons on this forum. When I switched to my tablet I figured out why I was having issues.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 4:40 am

Falc0 wrote:

Sorry, I was disgusted with the last season of Lost and fled the board because going back reminded me how shitty the end was. After a while I kinda forgot all about the board.

I'll have to check out Kokkoku, I just added it to my queue.

Have you watched Konosuba? It probably hits too many tropes for your liking, but I love it anyway. Each character is deeply flawed but somehow the MC is able to direct their best traits into synergy that lets them accomplish things nobody else can. Plus it's funny and keeps me laughing. I've also read all the Light Novels and side stories that are out there for this series.

Initial reaction: "Konosuba...konosuba...kono...Oh...that." Hibike! Euphonium had just wrapped when Konosube started so I gave it a flier based on the premise. You suppose correctly. Too many standard tropes.

Hibike! Euphonium is a great series, IMO. It was one of my picks for best in it's run. Slice-of-life, high school, music, about a school band, the sort with instruments you blow into. Funny bit about the show...One of the MC's besties is a girl named Midori. Common name in Japan, it means "green" usually but it can also mean "blue". I think it has to do with the fact that our color names come not from the colors we see but from the pigments we use, which is why Russian has one word for dark blue and another word for light blue and Russians regard those as completely different colors. Anyway, the girl's parents decided to write her name with the kanji for a stone instead of the standard one, so everyone calls her "Sapphire". 55
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 5:02 pm

[quote="TBC"]
Falc0 wrote:

One I forgot to mention is Kokkoku. It checks all the boxes on premise, characters and action. It centers on a multi-generational family living in a modest home. A slob of a man, his twenty-something NEET son, two daughters who work, one of whom is a a single mother to a boy in elementary school, and his father. She show follows Chekov's Premise, that the action should begin immediately, and it does...

I watched a few episodes and it wasn't really for me.

Don't want to give anything away for others who might watch.:

I see people on the reddit anime thread dissing a series as soon as any major trope is used. To me, it's not about that. If a trope is mindlessly used to check a box or provide fan service, that's a problem. If the writer can find a creative way to weave a trope in while still providing character development or advance the story, that's fine with me. The lack of tropes doesn't necessarilly make a manga, light novel, or anime good.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 pm

So I've been thinking of what i consider a good anime without the use of major tropes and Casshern Sins is it. As he wanders the lands we and the MC find out a little more about his past and a little more about the world they live in. The writer has a way of making you invested in each new character he meets along the way even though sometimes they're only around for 1 episode. Plus, each episode has a little bit of philosophy to get you thinking. The first 18 episodes are outstanding but after that it turns into sureal nonsense a la Evangelion, too bad it couldn't finish strong.

If you read japanese light novels, "86" definitely falls into great story w/o overuse of typical tropes.

While Citrus has a few tropes, it really gets into that feeling of first love, plus adds in the difficulty the MCs have to traverse of how society looks upon lesbians and even more difficult, step-sisters. When things get impossibly difficult, there's no deus ex machina to save the day as in a typical anime. Similar to real life, they just have to deal with their feelings and problems. (Although since I've read the Manga, the anime hasn't really got me on the edge of my seat the way it did when I read it.)

Darling on the FranXX is flat out filled with tropes, but instead of being lazy writing or fan service, somehow each "beach episode", "hot springs", "mystery goo that eats female clothes" actually is an integral part of the development of characters and world building. I find it genius. Plus, there are so many hidden pieces of information and easter eggs, it's what we all loved about the first few seasons of lost.

Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 9:56 am

Speaking of Darling in the FranXX, here's some Zero Two artwork

02:
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 10:07 am

I'm very unfamiliar with Anime...I've watched One Punch Man (enjoyed it). and does original Speed Racer qualify as anime? love me some old Speed Racer (or should I say Mach Gogogo).
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 am

Zaphod wrote:
and does original Speed Racer qualify as anime?

Heck yeah!
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 am

ahhhhh...in that case I've been watching anime, oh 40 years at least lol4

hahaha

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 7:34 pm

You should watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 7:39 pm

I hear that is quite good, along with Ghost in the Shell. but these names where do they come from? cowboy bebop?
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Cowboy Bebop was meh, imo.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is about a guy whose military codename is "Fullmetal," partly for his skill in working metal, partly for his metal prosthetic leg and arm. He's an alchemist.
He has a brother.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyMon Mar 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Another excellent Darling in the FranXX episode this week.

If you're not watching it, you should be.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyTue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 pm

Cowboy Bebop as a whole is great, but episode-to-episode it can drag some.

Loved the original Fullmetal Alchemist, will probably watch Brotherhood at some point.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 11:29 am

Great end of the season episode for Citrus.

Here's some Citrus artwork:

Yuzu:
Back to top Go down
frogge

frogge

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 7:53 pm

Sorry, but I can't say that Darling in the FRANXX (I tried) or Citrus is my kind of thing.

Back to top Go down
frogge

frogge

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Here is a list of anime that I have really enjoyed and strongly recommend:

A Place Further than the Universe
Aldnoah Zero
Ancient Magus’ Bride
Attack on Titan
Baby Steps
Bakuman
Banner of the Stars / Crest of the Stars
Bleach
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Blue Exorcist
Bunny Drop
Charlotte
Chihayafuru
Cowboy Bebop
Cross Game
Death Note
Dimension W
Eccentric Family
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Erased
Fruits Basket
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Gate
Girls’ Monthly Nozaki-kun
Haikyu
Joker Game
Kabaneri of the Flying Fortress
Kado: The Right Answer
Land of the Lustrous
Made in Abyss
Magical Circle Guru Guru  
Master Keaton
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Mushi-shi
My Hero Academia
Nagi no Asukara (A Lull in the Sea)
Naruto / Naruto Shippuden
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Nodame Cantabile
Noragami
Parasyte: The Maxim
Polar Bear Café
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
Showa Genroku Rakugo
Silver Spoon
Snow White with the Red Hair
Space Brothers
SPT Layzner
Sword Art Online
The Vision of Escaflowne
Trigun
Twelve Kingdoms
Ushio and Tora
Welcome to the Ballroom
Yakitate Japan
Your Lie in April
Yuri on Ice
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 8:42 am

frogge wrote:
Here is a list of anime that I have really enjoyed and strongly recommend:

Aldnoah Zero

I really liked this one.

Quote :
Attack on Titan
Bleach
Cowboy Bebop
Naruto / Naruto Shippuden
Sword Art Online
Trigun

Based on these, have you watched Hunter x Hunter?

Quote :
Death Note

Started off awesome. But I wasn't thrilled with it by the end.

Quote :
Mushi-shi

I couldn't get into this one.

Quote :
My Hero Academia

Have you watched Kiznaiver?

ETA: Whoops, I got this confused with Little Witch Academia. Anyway you should check out Kiznaiver, it's got some awesome animation work. But in the case of My Hero Academia, have you watched Assassination Classroom?

How is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann not on this list?
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 12:44 pm

My list, by no means complete, just running through and picking out some of the choice ones.

Bear in mind that I am listing by Japanese title, but I will give the English if it comes readily to mind.

3-gatsu no Lion (March Comes in Like A Lion)
Ajin
Aldnoah.Zero
Alice to Zoroku
Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist)
Black Lagoon
Bleach
Bungou Stray Dogs
CANAAN
Chuunibyou demo Kio ga Shitai (Yes, really. It's on my all time favorites list.)
Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black
Dimension W
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?)
Durarara
Fune wo Amu (The Great Passage)
Ghost in the Shell
Gin no Saji (Silver Spoons)
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar (Grimgar of Fire and Ash) (STILL waiting for that second season, guys.)
Hibike! Euphonium
Highschool of the Dead (Just because)
Hyouka (This is an excellent "real world" mystery series)
Inu-Yasha
Inuyashiki
Just Because!
Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefield)
Last Exile
Log Horizon
Made in Abyss
No Game No Life
Now and Then, Here and There
Occultic Nine
Punch Line
Ranma 1/2 (The first subbed anime I ever watched,)
Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (But the second series was a bit of a drag)
Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia)
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (A Place Further Than The Universe)
Space Brothers (Interesting...the streaming site lists it as that and not "Uchuu Kyoudai")
Suisei no Gargantia
Sword Art Online
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 (Good old "Star Blazers" updated by the original creative team with modern animation and a few nods to current astronomical knowledge...but it's the same story)
Usagi Drop (Bunny Drop)
Utawarerumarono (For Whom The Song Is Sung)
Xam'd: Lost Memories
Zero no Tsukaima (The Familiar of Zero)
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 4:39 pm

TBC wrote:

Bleach

Holy cow! Shonen trope o'rama.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Falc0 wrote:
TBC wrote:

Bleach

Holy cow! Shonen trope o'rama.

To a fair extent. But the setting is so complex that it makes up for it. Also it helps that Tite Kubo intentionally kept romantic relationships out of the storyline until the post script set ten years after the final arc of the manga ends...to the ire of all the Rukigo shippers out there.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySun Apr 01, 2018 12:37 pm

Speaking of Bleach:

Here's some more artwork. Ichigo from Bleach with Ichigo from Darling in the FranXX.

Ichigo^2:
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyMon Apr 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Well, have our first loser of the spring season, my opinion. It's a comedy, but the only thing that made me laugh was the title. Get this...Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu. You probably know that the proper name for Star Blazers is Uchuu Senkan Yamato...

The episode was only seven minutes. I was expecting parody, what I got was more physical comedy. That's a harder thing to get right, a lot of people stoop to "toilet humor" here they didn't, kudus to them. Still, the gags just felt flat, sorry folks. Maybe someone else will find it funny, so I am giving the show a mention.
Back to top Go down
frogge

frogge

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyTue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 pm

I agree, it was terrible.

A comedy that I thought did work was Maho Shojo Ore (I am a Magical Girl). At first I was meh, but I found myself laughing more and more. Can't really discuss the premise too much except to say it is a boilerplate magical girl show (like CardCaptor Sakura) but with a twist.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyThu Apr 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Took a look at Mahou Shoujo Ore. There the comedy works, sometimes. As for the "twist", not the sort to really hold my interest when it's the main gag. For me that worked when it was one of the side reels, like in Kore wa Desu ka Zombie.

Just watched a romance comedy which seems to rely on physical comedy quite a bit and it works there. Tada-kun wo Koi wa Shinai (Eng. Tada Doesn't Fall In Love), about an aloof high-schooler who meets a pretty girl from a postage-stamp European country.

Another comedy that so far seems like a home run is Comic Girls. It's about four girls who are aspiring mangakas living in a tiny school dorm which seems about three steps down from Sakarasou.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySat Apr 07, 2018 9:01 pm

Just out: SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online. I read a bit of the manga on this, the lead character is rather tall young woman who has always been insecure about her height. She begins playing GGO, the all-firearms game from the second season of SAO, and creates a diametrically opposite character, 1.5m tall wearing a "cute" pink coverall and floppy short-brimmed hat with bunny ears. She puts all of her points into agility and speed, and discovers that the pink actually serves as good camouflage for the mostly desert settings of the game. She arms herself with a pink FN P90 (familiar as the submachine gun used by Jack O'Neil and everyone else in the Stargate program except Teal'c) she names "P-Chan" (well, it DOES look a little bit like a pig 55 ) and she's a monster in close-quarters combat.

I wonder though if there is a compelling narrative in this. SAO has been a bland franchise ever since it's initial arc ended. The second arc turned Asuna into a damsel in distress and Kirito into the object of a BroCon. The third arc had him going undercover in virtual drag, the fourth was a "smash and grab" raid into the depths of their game world. The fifth, Mother's Rosario, was possibly the best post-Aincrad arc because it allowed Asuna to redeem herself as a strong character. The only other thing animated is the Ordinal Scale movie and that just made no sense...It was about "Overlaid Reality", virtual objects with locations in the real world. Like Pokemon Go, only bigger. The problem with that is if you are running around after things that are not actually there there is a high chance of running into things which ARE actually there. The visual gear turns a park into a temple, Kirito and pals start fighting a fire-breathing dragon and nobody trips over a garbage can???. The Alicization Arc of the manga might be interesting if they were to animate it but it does not look like it will ever get done. Instead we get a new story with new characters in an old setting.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 11:13 pm

I really liked the first SAO series. But sometime into the second (gun series) I gave up. I'll be interested to know if you think this new one is any good.

I'm now convinced that Darling in the FranXX is genius. Trigger and A-1 thrown every trope in the book at you but find a way to write it into meaningful story line and not useless tripe or fan service. Hot springs, mystery goo that disolves girls clothing, coming of age, childhood friend, etc... all important parts of the story that have deeper meaning. The beach episode is probably the most important one with so much either starting there or tying back to it.

There are so many hidden clues and little bits of information that you have to watch each episode several times. When you get to ep. 13, oh boy do a lot of things tie together. And get ready for some emotion.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySat Apr 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Wel,l after declaring DitF genuis, episode 14 was some of the laziest writing ever.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySat Apr 14, 2018 5:20 pm

That's a bummer. I missed 13 because new season and new shows, was about to watch that and 14.

As for SAO A:GGO, two episodes and still "nothing". The first ep was an introductory adventure in the "now", roughly three years after the end of the original SAO arc. It's entertaining. The second starts a flashback, how a too-tall college student, recently arrived in Tokyo from the wilds of Hokkaido and having no friends got into virtual gaming, winding up playing GGO. Not so entertaining as it is expository, but still there's nothing resembling a compelling storyline. Go back to Anton Chekhov, the reader, audience, whatever, should be shown the action immediately. Say "Chekhov" these people must think you are talking about the guy who sat next to George Takei for two years.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySat Apr 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Geeze episode 15 of DitF was lit. It had a little Neon Genesis Evangelion and a little Kill la Kill feel to it. So much happened I was swept up and it seemed to be over before I knew it. Playing kiss of death over the last few minutes was amazing.

Then,
Typical Trigger:
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyTue Apr 24, 2018 9:09 am

Just finished watching Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. It was surprisingly better than I though it would be. Touched on some deep subjects:

-finding peace with the turns your life has taken
-being happy in the place you are
-coexistence instead of an adversarial arrangement with an enemy
-responsibility of how a higher technology civilization should handle contact with one of a much lower level

I'm sure I'm missing some others, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, it's definitely worth watching.

Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptySat Apr 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Falco wrote:
Just finished watching Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. It was surprisingly better than I though it would be. Touched on some deep subjects:

-finding peace with the turns your life has taken
-being happy in the place you are
-coexistence instead of an adversarial arrangement with an enemy
-responsibility of how a higher technology civilization should handle contact with one of a much lower level

I'm sure I'm missing some others, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, it's definitely worth watching.

Loved Gargantia. It was made by Gin "The Butcher" Urobuchi. Read his list of works, the stuff he created himself and also what he collaborated on and it's a lot of violence, so Gargantia was a change-up.
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri May 04, 2018 9:28 am

Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyThu May 17, 2018 2:07 am

Got bored, decided to check out a comedy title from last winter. The good thing is that the episodes are only 12 minutes. And trust me, that it a good thing. Aho-Girl. Trying to figure out if "Aho" is a worse way of saying "Baka", or what the difference is, but whatever, the titular character is dense as depleted uranium and less useful. This is established in the first scene where she gets all zeros on multiple choice "bubble sheet" quizzes.

Besides her idiocy, the comedic action centers around her total love for bananas and the boy next door/childhood friend who has the unenviable task of being her keeper. Other characters get thrown into the mix and each episode is divvied up into three brief segments, probably because the show is based on a 4-koma manga...this keeps the theme of quick gags intact, but most of them seemed weak to me.

It wasn't until the fourth episode that I found something that actually got me to laughing...the girl goes to "educational counselling" with the boy looking on and it's obvious that it is a waste of time when the teacher, a woman in her late 20s gives a quick reading comprehension test. The girl reads a paragraph about a boy and girl in a failed romance, the teacher asks what the girl in the paragraph is feeling, the girl completely misses it because she is fixated on bananas, the teacher gets irate says the girl in the paragraph is feeling lonely. At this point the girl flips everything on the teacher. Starts by asking her if she's ever had a boyfriend. Bad button to push. With the teacher's confidence bubble burst she sends to poor woman into a complete existential crisis with a rant worthy of a Zen master. Scene was great, but bummer, that's one really good laugh in four 12-minute episodes. Wondering if I should bother with the remaining eight...
Back to top Go down
Falco

Falco

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyFri May 18, 2018 8:08 pm

I just watched the first season of Black Lagoon. That was excellent.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime EmptyThu May 31, 2018 1:27 am

It's one of my favorites. One of the people at the old place, maybe it was Mina Kitty, said that she mostly enjoyed it but she couldn't bring herself to like Revi. I responded that I don't think you are supposed to like her. It's not "good guys vs bad guys". It's "bad guys vs worse guys".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anime Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime   Anime Empty

Back to top Go down

Anime
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-
Jump to: