AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost
 
HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Post new topic   Reply to topicShare | 
 

 GoT Rewatch

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:03 pm

As mentioned in What's New, I've started a rewatch of GoT. I thought I'd post things I never noticed or now appreciate more in hindsight.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. I will be referring to plot twists in future episodes, even thought I'm starting at the beginning.

I've just finished S1E3.

One thing that stood out that I mentioned in WN - Bran was in a coma for over a month. No IV fluids to sustain him. I saw no mention of nutrition in the show, but vonne said the book referred to dipping honey and water into his mouth.

Could a comatose person swallow? If he's breathing on his own, maybe it's a reflex? Still, he'd probably be nearing starvation.

What else.

When Dany's servant mentions that she's pregnant, Jorah suddenly decides he has to ride off somewhere. Even having read the books before watching the first time, I never caught that. Off he goes to tell his contacts.

Tyrion peeing off the wall made me very nervous. He's always drunk, and he was standing on the ledge. Bad idea.

Mostly, I miss the characters who I know will be disappearing. The casting is just amazing. Even the ones I hate, like Viserys, I miss.

heart2 Drogo and Dany

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:06 pm

I think you can rub a person's neck to stimulate the swallow reflex.

And I love how very "there" and yet subtle it is, that Jorah is in the process of betraying Dany.
Still breaks my heart.
Back to top Go down
Big John

avatar

Posts : 1366
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 pm

I often have to remind myself about what Jamie did to Bran. Otherwise I find myself rooting for him.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 pm

I root for him anyway. *DGAF*
Back to top Go down
Big John

avatar

Posts : 1366
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:38 pm

That's gonna make Negan awfully jelly.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:42 pm

Negan should be more jealous of the guy in your avatar.
Back to top Go down
Big John

avatar

Posts : 1366
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:47 pm

I don't think Negan'd be jealous of a guy who can't please a woman. He may even encourage the affair lol.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:50 pm

I'm just still shocked that no one has told Ivar that there are plenty of ways of pleasing women that he could do just fine.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

avatar

Posts : 1302
Join date : 2018-03-04
Age : 44
Location : Upstate NY

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Kelly, is that you just love all the Lannisters THAT much? Even though they mostly hate each other? Or is it that you hate all the Starks that much? Or is there a sort of magical synergy there that makes what Jaimie did to Bran okay?

That's gotta be it, right? Magical synergy? GRRM did say it all boils down to magic, right?

Or maybe you find Bran the Broken turning into Bran the Mystical Tree Guy Who Suddenly Knows All The Secret Histories And Can Therefore Explain Everything For The Benefit Of All Characters to be an amazingly creative plot device? tongue
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:26 pm

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:
Kelly, is that you just love all the Lannisters THAT much? Even though they mostly hate each other? Or is it that you hate all the Starks that much? Or is there a sort of magical synergy there that makes what Jaimie did to Bran okay?

That's gotta be it, right? Magical synergy? GRRM did say it all boils down to magic, right?

Or maybe you find Bran the Broken turning into Bran the Mystical Tree Guy Who Suddenly Knows All The Secret Histories And Can Therefore Explain Everything For The Benefit Of All Characters to be an amazingly creative plot device? :p

I just am not a fan of male Starks, as they tend to be really fuckin stupid and boring. Every time I see Bran's name at the top of a chapter, something inside of me dies of tedium.

Was it nice of Jaime to push him out the window? No.

Lots of people do not-nice things in this story.

And yes, Lannisters are 100% more awesome in general, and Jaime is awesome in particular.

It's not like he tried to murder Bran just to be mean. He was trying to save the lives of his children. Robert has NO issue baby-killing and he absolutely would have killed Jaime's kids if the truth had come out.

If the choice was between random 7 year old and your own children (and your own sister, and your own life), what would you do?
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Honestly I root for Jaime now too, although I hated him at the beginning for what he did to Bran, and how I can put that into the background now, I have no idea. I guess either the character growth and/or the actor's portrayal of it all play in, as well as a "recency factor".

Also, Nan? keeps saying "you sweet summer child". Is that where that came from? I'd forgotten.

Bran: "I hate your stories". lolol
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:32 pm

@catnap wrote:

Also, Nan?  keeps saying "you sweet summer child".  Is that where that came from?  I'd forgotten.

lmao, yes
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

avatar

Posts : 1302
Join date : 2018-03-04
Age : 44
Location : Upstate NY

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 pm

It's because he's a fictional character, and so is Bran, and furthermore GRRM used it not only for some shock value but also as a pivotal plot point that might eventually lead to everybody finding out about Jon Snow's true blood legacy, among other things.

I dig Bran, and i love how i accurately predicted he'd gain a "new superpower" after losing his climbing ability, but i don't actually hold what Jaimie did against him; hell i can't think of anything Jaimie's ever done that i didn't find understandable, except Cersei. There's something horrible about that.
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:40 pm

And yet I feel sorry for him in that relationship too - he claims to be and apparently is utterly faithful, while she sleeps with their cousin for kicks. She's the stronger twin and she's warped him.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:52 pm

@vonnegut wrote:
I root for him anyway.  *DGAF*

Yep... I am so over what he did to Bran.

I still ship Jamie and Brienne
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:16 am

Me too.

The weird thing about the incest things is, why is it acceptable for the Targaryans? Just because "they've always done it"? Or because they have magical powers and are different from the rest of the realm?

I think the illegitimacy part of Robert's heirs was the biggest part of why Jaime did what he did. That and her position as Queen.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:17 am

@catnap wrote:


The weird thing about the incest things is, why is it acceptable for the Targaryans?  Just because "they've always done it"?  Or because they have magical powers and are different from the rest of the realm?  


I can't get this stupid multi-quote thing to work. I had like 6 posts highlighted as multi-quote... only got one

Anyway...

It's dragons. When you have dragons you can do whatever you want.

Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:20 am

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:

Or maybe you find Bran the Broken turning into Bran the Mystical Tree Guy Who Suddenly Knows All The Secret Histories And Can Therefore Explain Everything For The Benefit Of All Characters to be an amazingly creative plot device? tongue

Maybe it would be different if mystical tree guy would actually explain everything for the benefit of all characters.

Mr. All-Seeing there seems content to sit on a bunch of knowledge and not share it.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:29 am

@vonnegut wrote:


I just am not a fan of male Starks, as they tend to be really fuckin stupid and boring.  Every time I see Bran's name at the top of a chapter, something inside of me dies of tedium.  

Was it nice of Jaime to push him out the window?  No.

Lots of people do not-nice things in this story.

And yes, Lannisters are 100% more awesome in general, and Jaime is awesome in particular.  

It's not like he tried to murder Bran just to be mean.  He was trying to save the lives of his children.  Robert has NO issue baby-killing and he absolutely would have killed Jaime's kids if the truth had come out.  

If the choice was between random 7 year old and your own children (and your own sister, and your own life), what would you do?

I must agree here.... While I am not a big fan of subjective morality, in this universe Jaime isn't the monster many want to make him seem because of Bran. This info getting out would have been the end of him, Cersei, and all the kids. It would have been a huge blow to the entire house of Lannister. He was put in an unenviable position and reacted the only way he knew how. Admittedly he was a bit callous about all of it, but again this is a world where
most standard conventions of morality are a bit more fluid. Plus the Jaime of today wouldn't be as cavalier about it as he was then.
Back to top Go down
Big John

avatar

Posts : 1366
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 am

So he bangs his sister who bears his children which compels him to do serious harm to someone else's child, among other things. Yeah, he's not a monster at all.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:15 am

Yes, that's right.

Banging sisters doesn't seem to be completely out of line. See all the Targaryens. This specific morality issue is addressed head on in the show when Jaime brings up that exact point. It may be completely taboo in our real world, but in the world of GRRM it seems to be quite the hypocritical point to say it is
out of line for one group but completely fine for another.

The someone else's child part is a question of the lesser of evils. In this GRRM world, house and family means everything. Almost anyone would do anything and kill anyone to protect theirs. Same thing applies to "among other things".

This alleged monster has also done many fair and noble things, including sacrificing his own reputation forever to save every single citizen in King's Landing from death by fire. Also the Jaime that pushed Bran is not the same Jaime at this point in the story. One could also say that what was going to happen to Bran was always meant to be, so Jaime was just operating as a needed agent of fate.
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
@catnap wrote:


The weird thing about the incest things is, why is it acceptable for the Targaryans?  Just because "they've always done it"?  Or because they have magical powers and are different from the rest of the realm?  


I can't get this stupid multi-quote thing to work. I had like 6 posts highlighted as multi-quote... only got one

Anyway...

It's dragons. When you have dragons you can do whatever you want.


Truth.

And you just click the white button for the ones you want to quote, then find a Reply button down below :)

@Warthawg1 wrote:
@vonnegut wrote:


I just am not a fan of male Starks, as they tend to be really fuckin stupid and boring.  Every time I see Bran's name at the top of a chapter, something inside of me dies of tedium.  

Was it nice of Jaime to push him out the window?  No.

Lots of people do not-nice things in this story.

And yes, Lannisters are 100% more awesome in general, and Jaime is awesome in particular.  

It's not like he tried to murder Bran just to be mean.  He was trying to save the lives of his children.  Robert has NO issue baby-killing and he absolutely would have killed Jaime's kids if the truth had come out.  

If the choice was between random 7 year old and your own children (and your own sister, and your own life), what would you do?

I must agree here.... While I am not a big fan of subjective morality, in this universe Jaime isn't the monster many want to make him seem because of Bran. This info getting out would have been the end of him, Cersei, and all the kids. It would have been a huge blow to the entire house of Lannister. He was put in an unenviable position and reacted the only way he knew how. Admittedly he was a bit callous about all of it, but again this is a world where
most standard conventions of morality are a bit more fluid. Plus the Jaime of today wouldn't be as cavalier about it as he was then.

Good points.

Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Here's something else to discuss as well.

Lady Cat is so mean to Jon Snow. I mean, I get it, he's a reminder of her hubby's infidelity, but he's a child.

But obviously, we all know now that's he's NOT.

I can't see a reason (other than to create tension) that Ned wouldn't actually confide in Cat, though. It would have made the last 18 years quite a bit easier on everyone. Couldn't he just tell his wife who Jon was and swear her to secrecy?
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm

No, because he iswas so noble that he wouldn't even break a promise when it came to his wife.

Plus he probably thought it was dangerous knowledge to have, and that her knowing it would have put her in danger...

Plus, plus... This is Lady Cat... she's an imbecile. She would have probably blabbed it all over the kingdom within 6 months, thinking she was helping the situation.
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Oh, yeah, there are those things.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:17 pm

@vonnegut wrote:
I think you can rub a person's neck to stimulate the swallow reflex.

...or buy them some jewelry
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:41 pm

:O lol2
Back to top Go down
Big John

avatar

Posts : 1366
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:49 pm

If it's okay to bang your sister in that world then there's no need to push Bran out the window. You don't get to have it both ways. Jaime was doing something dreadfully wrong which is what caused him to harm a child. If he wasn't doing something monstrous he wouldn't need to do something else monstrous to cover it up. He's a monster and don't forget it.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:21 pm

That's a weak argument.

He didn't push Bran out the window because of him banging his sister, He pushed him out of the window because he was banging the kings wife. He pushed him out the window because had it got out he was banging the king's wife, it would be discovered that the king's kids were not really his.

This too is addressed in the show as Jaime doesn't seem to give a flying snit about people knowing about them after Robert is gone.

Bran got pushed out the window because Cersei was the king's wife, and the king's kids were actually his.
Back to top Go down
Big John

avatar

Posts : 1366
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:46 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
He didn't push Bran out the window because of him banging his sister, He pushed him out of the window because he was banging the kings wife. He pushed him out the window because had it got out he was banging the king's wife, it would be discovered that the king's kids were not really his.

Indeed. So he slays his former king. bangs his new king's wife, who's also his sister, and then pushes a young child out of a high window to cover it up. Swell fella there. He's a monster.
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:47 pm

I think both things played a part - my kid (yes he watches and reads the books) said that after Robert came into power, incest was outlawed. I think he's right, b/c Cersi was on trial for it among other things.

So there was A LOT at stake. Doesn't mean it was a kind thing to do, but I can see how it would be an issue to risk Bran telling someone.

Would have been better if Jaime (and Cersi) chose NOT to commit adultery and have sex with his sister, but there you go.
Back to top Go down
Big John

avatar

Posts : 1366
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 pm

@catnap wrote:
Would have been better if Jaime (and Cersi) chose NOT to commit adultery and have sex with his sister, but there you go.

Ya think?
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 pm

I do lol.


But that would make a less interesting show and remove a lot of the conflict and one of the main inciting incidents.
Back to top Go down
Big John

avatar

Posts : 1366
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:17 pm

No one would argue against that point. Still though, doesn't make Jaime any less of a monster.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:43 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
@vonnegut wrote:
I think you can rub a person's neck to stimulate the swallow reflex.

...or buy them some jewelry

OMG 55 55 55
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 am

So, last night we met Samwell. love

Hearing his story about his father again was gutwrenching.

Tyrion went to Winterfell with his "cripples, bastards, and broken things" line.

It ended with the move Lady Cat pulls in the pub, taking Tyrion into custody.

Is that why everyone thinks she's an imbecile? Or other stuff? I never felt like she made worse choices than anyone else on the show for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

avatar

Posts : 476
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 54
Location : Georgia

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Lady Cat is an imbecile.

She totally misreads the treachery of Petyr Baelish.. foolishly feeling sorry for him and believing his BS.

She treats him better than she does Jon Snow, who never did anything to her. In fact, Jon is close to Arya and Robb...and completely loyal. In return, he gets treated like a big turd in the middle of the floor.

She basically gets Ned killed... he doesn't really want to go south.. she ends up encouraging him to do it anyway. She takes Tyrion prisoner all based on the flimsiest of evidence, a move bound to be EXTREMELY problematic. End result - Ned's dead.


She lets Jaime go in defiance of Robb. She builds Robb up as this great leader and constantly undermines him. She encourages him to give the Bolton's a leadership role and to make peace with
Walder Frey.. result, Robb, herself, and most of the Stark clan and the northern army are destroyed.

The woman makes the wrong decision at every turn, and rarely sees beyond the end of her nose.

She was a dolt.
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Good point.

Although one could argue Robb should not have broken his vow. But then again, Cat set it up without his permission.

We're at the part now where LF just put a knife to Ned's throat after Geoffrey declared himself king and the Gold Cloaks killed Ned's men.

In the show, I always struggle to understand LF's motives, even though I read the books and it probably made more sense in print.

What exactly is his plan? And don't say "the person with no motives is the person no one suspects". He kills Jon Arryn so...what? So chaos ensues? So Cat loses Ned? So he himself can make a power play?

Then he makes Ned an offer...was that just BS, or was he considering working with Ned until Ned proved too "honorable"?

Back to top Go down
Ez
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 9254
Join date : 2012-04-07
Age : 37
Location : Amarillo, TX

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:33 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
No, because he iswas so noble that he wouldn't even break a promise when it came to his wife.

Plus he probably thought it was dangerous knowledge to have, and that her knowing it would have put her in danger...

Plus, plus... This is Lady Cat... she's an imbecile. She would have probably blabbed it all over the kingdom within 6 months, thinking she was helping the situation.

I've always thought along the same lines, Imagine if Cat had that knowledge during the War of the 5 Kings, she would have used that knowledge as a bargaining chip to get back her girls.

_________________
He is the Prince who was promised, and his is the song of Ice and Fire
Back to top Go down
Ez
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 9254
Join date : 2012-04-07
Age : 37
Location : Amarillo, TX

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 pm

@catnap wrote:
Good point.

Although one could argue Robb should not have broken his vow.  But then again, Cat set it up without his permission.

We're at the part now where LF just put a knife to Ned's throat after Geoffrey declared himself king and the Gold Cloaks killed Ned's men.

In the show, I always struggle to understand LF's motives, even though I read the books and it probably made more sense in print.

What exactly is his plan?  And don't say "the person with no motives is the person no one suspects".  He kills Jon Arryn so...what? So chaos ensues?  So Cat loses Ned?  So he himself can make a power play?

Then he makes Ned an offer...was that just BS, or was he considering working with Ned until Ned proved too "honorable"?


I think h kills Jon Arryn to get the Lannisters/Starks against each other, with his ultimate goal being to win over Cat, somehow? I don't think he expected her to die.

_________________
He is the Prince who was promised, and his is the song of Ice and Fire
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:34 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
Lady Cat is an imbecile.

She totally misreads the treachery of Petyr Baelish.. foolishly feeling sorry for him and believing his BS.

She treats him better than she does Jon Snow, who never did anything to her. In fact, Jon is close to Arya and Robb...and completely loyal. In return, he gets treated like a big turd in the middle of the floor.

She basically gets Ned killed... he doesn't really want to go south.. she ends up encouraging him to do it anyway. She takes Tyrion prisoner all based on the flimsiest of evidence, a move bound to be EXTREMELY problematic. End result - Ned's dead.


She lets Jaime go in defiance of Robb. She builds Robb up as this great leader and constantly undermines him. She encourages him to give the Bolton's a leadership role and to make peace with
Walder Frey.. result, Robb, herself, and most of the Stark clan and the northern army are destroyed.

The woman makes the wrong decision at every turn, and rarely sees beyond the end of her nose.

She was a dolt.

I wish I could frame this post and put it on my wall.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

avatar

Posts : 1302
Join date : 2018-03-04
Age : 44
Location : Upstate NY

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 pm

You probably could if you really wanted to.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm

@catnap wrote:

What exactly is his plan?  And don't say "the person with no motives is the person no one suspects".  He kills Jon Arryn so...what? So chaos ensues?  So Cat loses Ned?  So he himself can make a power play?

CHAOS IS A LADDER.

But, he goes into this shit more in the books, with Sansa... it IS "the person with no motives," as you say, but it's more than that.

I think the big thing to remember with Baelish is that he is forever and always on Team Baelish.
Anyone who isn't useful to him may as well fall from power and/or die. You're either on Team Baelish or you're expendable, and if he CAN get rid of you, he doesn't need a reason to do so other than "not on Team Baelish, why not."
That's why he's doing shit like helping the Tyrells kill Joffrey. It isn't totally a "wow this will really do a lot to advance my specific agenda." It's more a "That will stir shit up, and Joffrey isn't useful to me." With Jon Arryn, "That will stir shit up, and Arryn isn't useful to me (quite the opposite, since he's fuckin Arryn's wife and is surely already toying with the idea of marrying her and taking the Eyrie)." With telling Cat that the dagger is Tyrion's, "That will stir shit up."

Keep in mind that Baelish is a nobody. In peaceful status quo times, he can still advance, but there are limits. Worming his way into Arryn's notice, through Lysa, gets him on the small council and all, but the "Lord" part is only really a courtesy title. He wouldn't be able to get but SO far ahead.
Baelish doesn't like limits. When do the limits go away? During times of war and uncertainty.
By making little nudges and getting rid of people who aren't useful to him and whose deaths could set other factions against each other, he's stretching his possibilities. And look what happens-- war lets him make himself useful on the Tyrell scheme which gains him Harrenhall, which title allows him to gain the Eyrie, while grabbing Sansa and (eventually) killing Robert Arryn will possibly net him Winterfell, etc., etc., etc.

I don't think he has a meticulously detailed plan of how he will take over everything. The opposite, really... I think he's only really thinking a step or two ahead at any turn, creating opportunities and then dealing with whatever comes up.
Because he has no real REASON to make these moves, no one can predict him.

What's really funny is that everything he does is to create more chaos, while at the same time the Varys/Illyrio scheme was to HOLD OFF the chaos until Dany/Viserys/Aegon/Whoever is "ready." The interplay of their intrigues seriously might be my favorite part of the story.
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:55 am

@vonnegut wrote:
@Warthawg1 wrote:
Lady Cat is an imbecile.

She totally misreads the treachery of Petyr Baelish.. foolishly feeling sorry for him and believing his BS.

She treats him better than she does Jon Snow, who never did anything to her. In fact, Jon is close to Arya and Robb...and completely loyal. In return, he gets treated like a big turd in the middle of the floor.

She basically gets Ned killed... he doesn't really want to go south.. she ends up encouraging him to do it anyway. She takes Tyrion prisoner all based on the flimsiest of evidence, a move bound to be EXTREMELY problematic. End result - Ned's dead.


She lets Jaime go in defiance of Robb. She builds Robb up as this great leader and constantly undermines him. She encourages him to give the Bolton's a leadership role and to make peace with
Walder Frey.. result, Robb, herself, and most of the Stark clan and the northern army are destroyed.

The woman makes the wrong decision at every turn, and rarely sees beyond the end of her nose.

She was a dolt.

I wish I could frame this post and put it on my wall.

Do it

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:
You probably could if you really wanted to.

^ yeah that

@vonnegut wrote:
@catnap wrote:

What exactly is his plan?  And don't say "the person with no motives is the person no one suspects".  He kills Jon Arryn so...what? So chaos ensues?  So Cat loses Ned?  So he himself can make a power play?

CHAOS IS A LADDER.

But, he goes into this shit more in the books, with Sansa... it IS "the person with no motives," as you say, but it's more than that.

I think the big thing to remember with Baelish is that he is forever and always on Team Baelish.  
Anyone who isn't useful to him may as well fall from power and/or die.  You're either on Team Baelish or you're expendable, and if he CAN get rid of you, he doesn't need a reason to do so other than "not on Team Baelish, why not."  
That's why he's doing shit like helping the Tyrells kill Joffrey.  It isn't totally a "wow this will really do a lot to advance my specific agenda."  It's more a "That will stir shit up, and Joffrey isn't useful to me."  With Jon Arryn, "That will stir shit up, and Arryn isn't useful to me (quite the opposite, since he's fuckin Arryn's wife and is surely already toying with the idea of marrying her and taking the Eyrie)."  With telling Cat that the dagger is Tyrion's, "That will stir shit up."  

Keep in mind that Baelish is a nobody.  In peaceful status quo times, he can still advance, but there are limits.  Worming his way into Arryn's notice, through Lysa, gets him on the small council and all, but the "Lord" part is only really a courtesy title.  He wouldn't be able to get but SO far ahead.
Baelish doesn't like limits.  When do the limits go away?  During times of war and uncertainty.  
By making little nudges and getting rid of people who aren't useful to him and whose deaths could set other factions against each other, he's stretching his possibilities.  And look what happens-- war lets him make himself useful on the Tyrell scheme which gains him Harrenhall, which title allows him to gain the Eyrie, while grabbing Sansa and (eventually) killing Robert Arryn will possibly net him Winterfell, etc., etc., etc.

I don't think he has a meticulously detailed plan of how he will take over everything.  The opposite, really... I think he's only really thinking a step or two ahead at any turn, creating opportunities and then dealing with whatever comes up.  
Because he has no real REASON to make these moves, no one can predict him.  

What's really funny is that everything he does is to create more chaos, while at the same time the Varys/Illyrio scheme was to HOLD OFF the chaos until Dany/Viserys/Aegon/Whoever is "ready."  The interplay of their intrigues seriously might be my favorite part of the story.

OK that is acceptable to me. Makes sense.
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 am

So, I'm to the part where Drogo gets cut and allows himself to be treated by the god's wife.

Did she actually try to help him, or was her plan all along to make sure he got an infection?
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

avatar

Posts : 2008
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 34
Location : Richmond VA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 am

@catnap wrote:
So, I'm to the part where Drogo gets cut and allows himself to be treated by the god's wife.

Did she actually try to help him, or was her plan all along to make sure he got an infection?

From book, she actually did try to help him by making an antibiotic poultice of some sort, but he got itchy and ripped it off.
Back to top Go down
catnap

avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 pm

That's what I thought, but watching again I had my doubts.

Plus, she says she needs to stitch it, and sometimes stitching a cut is the worst thing you can do. Seals an infection in.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

avatar

Posts : 697
Join date : 2018-03-02
Age : 58
Location : Escondido, CA

PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   Wed May 16, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm doing my first watch on S7.  I'm loving it but I feel the need to fast forward through most of the Samwise Gamgee scenes.  He's a drag.

Tarly, yeah, I know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: GoT Rewatch   

Back to top Go down
 
GoT Rewatch
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-
Post new topic   Reply to topicJump to: