A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:26 am

"The Girl in the Fireplace" is next and one of the better episodes.

Regarding "School Reunion", I agree, the interaction between Rose and Sarah Jane and hints of jealousy was the best part of the episode.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 am

By the bye, Sarah Jane was so wildly popular that she had her own spinoff series after leaving Doctor Who. And yes both SJ and K-9 were companions of the 4th Doctor, played by Tom Baker, pretty much the uncontested best Doctor of the classic series, though there are a few hardcore Pertwee fans out there.

The 4th Doctor had several great companions. Leela was a very fun one

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:29 am

Yes.

Amazon counts the Christmas Special as "episode 1." It is not actually part of any season, though. It's a Christmas Special.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:36 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
S2E4.. or 3 depending on your POV

Okay... that was a really great episode on one level, and a good one another.

The great part: 

It was easy to put together quickly that SJS was an earlier companion. This also establishes
pretty firmly this isn’t a reimagining, but a true continuation of the original show. The jealousy..
the interaction between the older ex-companion and the younger replacement was great. Everthing 
about that was great.. how does a former companion deal with it when the doctor moves on...
the impact on their life... the overarching implied commentary that was also repeated in actual
dialogue (our pain and loss defines us.. we are what we are because of what we’ve been through).. the fact that the Doctor will at some time move on. The Doctor showing his capacity for wrath again.. This was all brilliant. I didn’t even mind the tin dog.

I haven't rewatched this yet, but going from memory, what I loved was that SJ wasn't just exploding with jealousy, but instead her and Rose connected so quickly, and bonded in making fun of the Doctor.

SJ is awesome. This isn't the last you'll see of her.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 pm

The girl in the fireplace...

There could certainly be a lot said about this love story with the Doctor. For the first time you really felt his loneliness. You felt the genuine love he finally felt. You see Rose recognize it as well and accept it
somewhat in contrast to the jealousy she’s felt before. There were also great quotes about persistence and bananas. Many things to talk about indeed....love, loss, profound sadness that adds so much depth..

..but sometimes I must remind myself to just stop talking for a bit, and just sit in the moment.. and take in the emotion.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:03 pm

<3

She waited.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
For the first time you really felt his loneliness.

10th Doctor.

Damn, 10th Doctor.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:05 pm

I will ask, how are you feeling about 10 at this point?

I completely understand if you still harbor 9 in your heart. I still do, too, and it's been many years and many Doctors since then.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Preview of Coming Attractions:

Next up is a two-parter, so set aside time to watch two. You meet an old villain from the classic series. Since it's literally in the title of the first episode of the two parts, not a spoiler to say it's Cybermen. I need to get Jane in here to anaylize the Classic Who genesis of the Cybermen. She's infatuated with these things. I say that they ain't as good as Daleks.

Then a slightly goofy one-off episode that is fun and I enjoyed.

Then another two-parter which is very, very high quality. You'll get a lot out of that one.

The episode after that, if you skip ONE episode of Doctor Who, skip this one. It has basically no redeeming qualities and it is a shockingly nauseating pile of offal. I fucking hate that episode. ("Love and Monsters").

Then another quite good one-off,

Then two-part finale.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:01 am

@vonnegut wrote:
I will ask, how are you feeling about 10 at this point?

I completely understand if you still harbor 9 in your heart.  I still do, too, and it's been many years and many Doctors since then.  

I love my wife, but it doesn’t change the fact that I loved others before
her.

Tenant has taken over the role and it feels right.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:16 am

@vonnegut wrote:
<3

She waited.

yeah... emotionally powerful stuff..

I saw an interesting parallel between the king, and Rose.

Almost in the exact same manner, they both accepted that the
people they loved had a special bond with another. If you look
at how both characters began by showing jealousy but both quickly
stepped back when they saw the depth of the connection between
the Doctor and Reinette. They both knew it was something deeper
than what they had, but were willing to continue on in their own
relationships despite knowing they would probably never have the
same depth.

It was some really powerful, character developing stuff. The King 
had to live with it all those years, and it will color the relationship
between Rose and the Doctor moving forward.

There was a chemistry between the two actors as well that helped
pull off the believability of the relationship.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:27 am

@Warthawg1 wrote:

There was a chemistry between the two actors as well that helped
pull off the believability of the relationship.

They actually dated for a while.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:05 pm

The clockworks aliens were very Lewis Carroll.  A really nice but bittersweet story.

We also got to see new powers of the Doctor .. a Vulcan Mind Meld, lol.  I love how that drew Reiniette and the Doctor's relationship closer.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:29 pm

No.

That just makes me think of... another time... he did that... and now I'm crying.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:50 pm

*tosses vonne a scot*
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:15 pm

LMAO
Back to top Go down
Rocket Surgery

PostSubject: O dear god thank you   Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:34 pm

I lost my first watch thread and Vonnegut led me here. Again. I read it before I watched some,, and it is much richer now that I've finished season 1 of the reboot.

Just watched episodes 9-13 tonight.

I binge, then can't watch for weeks, then binge again.

Gotta say I actually really enjoyed the playing with time in the episode about Rose's dad. Totally agree about the early episodes camp. It is definitely becoming richer as the season unfolds.

I get why you appreciate the Daleks, and while I really do hate them, they aren't as creepy as the "looking for his mummy" boy (won't say more about that in case of spoilage).

Back to top Go down
Rocket Surgery

PostSubject: O dear god thank you (cont)   Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:42 pm

Just realized I have read the entire thread. Now I have.
Would edit my prior comment if i could.

Vonnegut - this is awesome. I wish there were a way to get thru the series without anticipating when the doctor will go.

"When she realized that he was really dying and we were really about to get a regeneration (she knew that regens happened, just didn't know the timing), she started sobbing her eyes out and hitting me on the arm a lot. "

Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Rocket Surgery wrote:
Just realized I have read the entire thread. Now I have.
Would edit my prior comment if i could.

Vonnegut - this is awesome. I wish there were a way to get thru the series without anticipating when the doctor will go.

"When she realized that he was really dying and we were really about to get a regeneration (she knew that regens happened, just didn't know the timing), she started sobbing her eyes out and hitting me on the arm a lot. "

Yeah, well I have been rather lurking until my old pal hits the 11th Doctor. I feel the overall the show gets better at that point, less Tennant vis a vis Smith than Davies handing the reins over to Moffatt.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:11 pm

I don't know, Davies and Moffatt both have their strengths, and their terrible weaknesses, lol.

Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:20 pm

TBC.... maybe I’ve changed as I’ve grown older....

I rewatched The Girl in the Fireplace, and I quite liked Tennant in it...

Rose: Are you alright?
The Doctor: I’m always alright.

I’m moving on to the cybermen now, I suppose..

Should be able to knock out a couple tonight.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:

Rose: Are you alright?
The Doctor: I’m always alright.

Oh, my heart.

And this, Warty, is why I am such a nut for this show (although, you will note, I never rec'ed it to you directly-- I don't know why I constantly underestimate you.  One day I will learn).

The ethical dilemmas and philosophical musings and social commentary are fun and all.
The special effects are hilariously awful.
The aliens and sci-fi delight my geek heart, while the time travel delights my historian heart.

But it's really about the characters.  Particularly the Doctor (although there are a couple of companions you still REALLY have to meet *cough*Wilf*cough*).  There is so much there, with the Doctor.  A mirror of humanity which is often quite critical when reflecting us, but sometimes surprisingly kind-- and an examination of what happens if you had more than one lifetime.  If you got to live that long, and do that much, what would happen to you?  How would you process that much more joy, and that much more suffering?

"I'm always alright."
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:27 pm

We REALLY need Jane here for the cybermen.

She groks them in a way that I simply can't.

And, I need to watch some Doctor Who. I've been distracted by current-running Agents of Shield and Walking Dead, and by rewatching FMAB (which, Warty, I *would* rec to you, one day). You're ahead of me now.
Maybe I'll say "fuck sleep" tonight and do Girl in the Fireplace.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Okay, watched "Girl in the Fireplace" again (with Jason).

I started getting choked up when he's like "go to the window. Pick a star, any star."

Then he comes back and she's dead, so I start kind of pre-crying, and Jason looks at me funny "Are you okay?"
I say "NO, I'm sad."
He continues to look at me funny like he's trying to figure out if I'm about to go crazy.
"About the episode?"
"YES, about the episode, because she died waiting for him."

He did a mental "back away slowly" from me then, lmfao.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:19 pm

I’m not sure how to take the “constantly underestimating” thing.. lol

I’m a bit surprised there was any confusion as to what you were emotional about. I mean
I was emotional about it, and I’m always alright.

Onto Rise of the Cybermen, and The Age of Steel....

It’s nice to compare and contrast the Cybermen and the Daleks as villains. We have your
“exterminate, exterminate” vs “delete”, delete”. Daleks see themselves as superior to all
other races while your Cybermen do as well, but only physically and they seek to upgrade
humans to help them overcome their frailties, but like Windows 10... no one wants that
upgrade forced upon them.

The story is one we’ve seen before as we’ve talked about before with several episodes.. it’s
just how the story is told and how out characters act within its confines. What price immortality..
What makes us human, etc... I won’t spend a lot of time talking about that. I would note that
the Tardis falling throughnthe Vortex definitely gave me a “we’re not in Kansas anymore” vibe.
I would also note the “alternate universe” thing is clever because you explore familiar enemies
but sort of free yourself from whatever past history is there, and obviously there is a past
history with these Cybermen.
   I hope Rose now realizes what the Doctor has been trying to teach her about just interjecting 
herself into these situations. A more hands off approach might be better, but I think the Doctor
knows that’s not really in Rose’s DNA. Mickey/Rickey is finally explained... but the fact the Doctor
knew this before indicates it’s not the first time he’s landed at this spot on the record. It would 
have been interesting to see a bit more ambiguity on Mickey/Rickey... I mean technically if 
he wanted to have a new start, he could assume the tough guy persona of the other, yeah?
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Sorry.... I didn’t want to step away and have the site reload and lose what i had typed..
somthing that happens here..

Anyway.. like I said.. the story has been told before and it’s more about this cast plays
it. One thing I am constantly amazed with is that despite the tropes and hokey sets 
(although the Zeppelins in alternate Britain were good), there is always a bit of heavy
darkness. The show carries a bit of gravitas.. I mean Alt-Jackie met a bad end... the
Cybermen head burn outs were actually quite a horrific concept. Rose dealing with 
not-dad and vice-versa carried some weight. Rose and Mickey split had some real feeling
to it.

I don’t know anything else to say.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:56 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
I’m not sure how to take the “constantly underestimating” thing.. lol

Fair enough, I'm not sure if it's an insult or a compliment, myself :p

Quote :

I’m a bit surprised there was any confusion as to what you were emotional about. I mean
I was emotional about it, and I’m always alright.

I think it was his Asperger's acting up.  Only half-joking here.

Quote :

Onto Rise of the Cybermen, and The Age of Steel....

It’s nice to compare and contrast the Cybermen and the Daleks as villains. We have your
“exterminate, exterminate” vs “delete”, delete”. Daleks see themselves as superior to all
other races while your Cybermen do as well, but only physically and they seek to upgrade
humans to help them overcome their frailties, but like Windows 10... no one wants that
upgrade forced upon them.

LMFAOOO like Windows 10.

Quote :

The story is one we’ve seen before as we’ve talked about before with several episodes.. it’s
just how the story is told and how out characters act within its confines. What price immortality..
What makes us human, etc... I won’t spend a lot of time talking about that. I would note that
the Tardis falling throughnthe Vortex definitely gave me a “we’re not in Kansas anymore” vibe.
I would also note the “alternate universe” thing is clever because you explore familiar enemies
but sort of free yourself from whatever past history is there, and obviously there is a past
history with these Cybermen.

The "alternate universe" thing being introduced here is something that may come up again.

Quote :

I hope Rose now realizes what the Doctor has been trying to teach her about just interjecting 
herself into these situations. A more hands off approach might be better, but I think the Doctor
knows that’s not really in Rose’s DNA. Mickey/Rickey is finally explained... but the fact the Doctor
knew this before indicates it’s not the first time he’s landed at this spot on the record. It would 
have been interesting to see a bit more ambiguity on Mickey/Rickey... I mean technically if 
he wanted to have a new start, he could assume the tough guy persona of the other, yeah?

I need to catch up to you to comment, because honestly I don't know if I have EVER re-watched this set of eps, cybermen not being my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:23 pm

The Idiots Lantern

Eh... I mean at this point it fills the air time, but it wasn’t really up to
the level of some of the recent episodes.

I think I remember an episode of The Twilight Zone with faceless people
that creeped me out more. 

I will say this.. he captured “the wire” or whatever it was on Betamax??
It’s 1953, and Betamax wasn’t invented until around 1975, and then it
was only available in Japan. 

This was just some filler material... moderately supportive.. spongy..
non-descript.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:17 am

We skipped The Idiots Lantern and went on to "The Impossible Planet".

In Rise of the Cybermen, I like that Jackie, no matter which time or universe she's in, rich or not, she's consistent in her underlying motivations and character. Good writing and acting, I think. I sort of feel sorry for dad, lol.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 am

Jackie was worse with money.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:30 am

Yeah, sort of a de-evolution. She didn't have Rose to temper those qualities .. a dog was a poor substitute.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 pm

The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit

Okay... some really good stuff here...

At the end, Rose comments that the beast had said she would die in battle,
and the Doctor says “he lied”.

Well now, the prince of darkness is the prince of lies.
Everything about the portrayal of the universal Satan was
on point. The lies.. the use of our own fears.. in many ways
pointing to my own views on the concept of a “Satan”.

One thing in particular to note that was touched upon in these
episodes was this concept of how all the religions have these similar
concepts, just using different names. Even in just our own reality
we can look at different religions dayting back to the Sumerians of
Mesopotamia and find these concepts of the flood, creation, etc.

It was very clever how these episodes reflected that with having the
concept of this Satan imprisoned before time even began, so it is the
beginning of the universal concept that followed in every religion in
every universe. Very, very well done stuff. Down to the fact that the
“idea” of Satan could escape and live on even after the physical had
been destroyed... 

On a particular level.. this might have been one of the very best so far.
It had relationship growth, it had horror, it had true sci-fi
elements. Ravel’s Bolero paid homage to, and gave it almost a “2001: A
Space Odyssey” feel... then it moved on to an “Event Horizon” tone... you
could even say it had a bit of “Aliens” to boot.

Really solid, solid stuff. It transcinded the campy surroundigns with character 
driven stuff into serious sci-fi drama, but still held on to the same character interaction
and growth.

Well done, I say.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit

Okay... some really good stuff here...

Oh, INDEED.

And, I've been neglecting the shit out of you, I know it. It's been a rough return from spring break, Jason's also been working a night job this past week so he's not here and my whole system is out of whack, I haven't been keeping up at all.

I'm going to get back in it and make it up to you, though, prob this weekend.
Less neglect, more discussion.

Quote :

At the end, Rose comments that the beast had said she would die in battle,
and the Doctor says “he lied”.

Oh.

Quote :

Well now, the prince of darkness is the prince of lies.
Everything about the portrayal of the universal Satan was
on point. The lies.. the use of our own fears.. in many ways
pointing to my own views on the concept of a “Satan”.

I've always loved how the show addresses this as something outside time that has creeped into every religion... an eternal enemy... again, more when I have time, this weekend.

Quote :

One thing in particular to note that was touched upon in these
episodes was this concept of how all the religions have these similar
concepts, just using different names. Even in just our own reality
we can look at different religions dayting back to the Sumerians of
Mesopotamia and find these concepts of the flood, creation, etc.

Or, okay, then you bring it up yourself, lmao.

Tip of the fuckin' hat to you, Warty. I should prob read your whole posts before I start commenting on them.

Quote :

It was very clever how these episodes reflected that with having the
concept of this Satan imprisoned before time even began, so it is the
beginning of the universal concept that followed in every religion in
every universe. Very, very well done stuff. Down to the fact that the
“idea” of Satan could escape and live on even after the physical had
been destroyed... 

Mmmmm, yes, tabling this, but yes, very on point.

Evil is an idea.

Quote :

On a particular level.. this might have been one of the very best so far.
It had relationship growth, it had horror, it had true sci-fi
elements. Ravel’s Bolero paid homage to, and gave it almost a “2001: A
Space Odyssey” feel... then it moved on to an “Event Horizon” tone... you
could even say it had a bit of “Aliens” to boot.

I don't know if I put it my top 10, although I may have.

It's definitely one of the better episodes.

Quote :

Really solid, solid stuff. It transcinded the campy surroundigns with character 
driven stuff into serious sci-fi drama, but still held on to the same character interaction
and growth.

Well done, I say.

Plus there's the Ood. We're going to have to talk about the Ood.

Warty, as a friend, as someone who respects you, if you are going to ever skip an episode of Doctor Who, skip the next episode, "Love and Monsters." It is really that fucking bad. I will not rewatch this one at any point for you. There is nothing in it that needs to be seen.
You can watch it if you wish, I mean, I did when I was watching for the first time.
But, I would recommend you just go on ahead to "Fear Her," which is another filler one-off but has some interesting themes and good character development.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Appears I didn't put Impossible Planet / Satan Pit on my top 10 list, although I'm sure I definitely considered it.

But, for perspective, # 1 is Season 9. #2 is a Special in between seasons four and five. #3 is Season 4. #4 is Season 4. #5 is Season 5. #6 you've seen. #7 is Season 3, #8 is Season 3, #9 is Season 4, #10 is a Special between seasons 9 and 10. (Going by Mode, Season 4 is clearly superior to everything)

There are maybe 20 more episodes that could possibly have made the list, really quality shit that I love to pieces, and Satan Pit is among those. (And almost all of Season 4 would be included here).

Then another few dozen that I have a healthy respect for.

Not many that are just filler / ridiculous / I don't appreciate.

But, those episodes DO exist.

I think that's a function of having so many writers. There is an overarching show-runner who guides the arc of the season (Roger Davies in Seasons 1-4, Moffat in Seasons 5-10, new showrunner coming in with the season currently under production), but they will bring in all kinds of voices to write individual episodes (although traditionally the show-runner himself writes premieres and finales and a couple mid-season eps). It's a hit-or-miss process.

The first episode written by Neil Gaiman, author of Sandman, is in Season 6 I believe. You'll like it.

@vonnegut wrote:
If I were to make a top five list...

Nope, a top ten list...

Off the top of my head, it would probably be:

1) Heaven Sent
2) End of Time Part 1/2
3) Midnight
4) Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead
5) Vincent and the Doctor
6) Empty Child / Doctor Dances
7) Blink
8 ) Utopia / Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords
9) Turn Left
10) Husbands of River Song

But that might change upon rewatching.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 am

almost all my faves are the classic OLD Who. Weeping angels does make my fave list, brilliant concept.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:49 pm

The original "Outer Limits" was one of my favorite shows as a kid and the Ood from these episodes (Impossible Planet/Satan Pit) come right out of that series. The masks are better and it's in color, but other than that, it's kind of nostalgic.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Well I went ahead and watched “Love and Monsters”

The concept of seeing how the Doctor’s intrusions into our world might affect folk is a bit intriguing, but
an episode of Doctor Who with less than 5 minutes of Rose and him in it... not so much.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm

From the Dr. Who wiki.. re: "Love and Monsters"

Quote :

From a production standpoint, it included a monster created by a child, nine-year-old William Grantham, for a Blue Peter competition. It was the first story in the programme's history written specifically to be recorded at the same time as another story — a process called "double banking". By minimising the appearances of the Doctor and his companion, the production team recorded fourteen episodes in the same time that it took to make thirteen. Russell T Davies was sufficiently pleased with the results that the concept — dubbed a "Doctor-lite" or "Companion-lite episode" — would be a regular feature of each subsequent season.

I call that "Shrinkage".
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:09 pm

However there is one "Doctor-Lite" episode that is near the top of my list.. "Blink".
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:22 pm

"Blink" is an example of "hardly any Doctor but good writing so you don't notice."

"Love and Monsters" is an example of "hardly any Doctor but OMG ALSO STUPID WRITING."
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Kelly... its Russell Davies... not Rodger. omg

You just lost Whovian points.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:43 pm

LMFAOOO I had to go back and look for what the hell you were talking about.

In my defense, I was drunk.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Fear Her...

Eh... I didn’t really fear her. This episode just didn’t seem to grab me. Maybe I missed something but
couldn’t she have just erased abusive dad’s picture?

All I know is now that it seems nothing can separate the Doctor and Rose... something probably will.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:31 pm

LOL.

I believe you're at two-part finale now.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I just took a look at the episodes coming up in the next season. I hadn't realized how many amazing episodes were in this season. Warty, you're in for a treat with Gridlock, the Lazarus Experiment, Blink and the 3 episode arc at the end of the season. I believe Kelly may actually squee when you get there.

In fact, I think I'm going to rewatch those episodes right now.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Kelly, do we need to introduce him to Torchwood so he can watch the episodes chronologically by air date? Or just let him finish Who and then have him check out Torchwood?
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 pm

I still haven't watched Torchwood.

Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:43 pm

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Back to top Go down