AuthorMessage
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:42 pm

No, shut up with that nonsense.

WE DO THINGS PROPERLY AROUND HERE.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:15 pm

lol, ok, I'll keep my hands out of the cookie jar.   I can re-watch Blink multiple times, just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 pm

I miss Warty posting here. Not that I don't like ya'll and all, but still.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:21 pm

I seriously dont like the format of this site. I lost my post again. This is like the 4th time this
has happened to me.

I just watched the Shakespeare code, and I didn't like it. I made this wonderful long post about all the reasons
I didn't like it, and then I posted it... . Then nothing.

I didn't like it very much: Readers Digest Condensed re-version

I didn't like Martha. She's apparently a slut. She was too more than willing to sleep with the Doctor. Very off-putting for the character.

I didn't like Shakespeare... he was obnoxious.

I thought the show tried way too hard to be clever, and it came off as heavy-handed. All the references to
phrases Shakespeare would later use was way over-played.

I didn't really get the story at all. The whole thing about releasing the witches with words, and then the non-sensical ending with the Doctor and Shakespeare finding the right words just didn't play for me. 

I wrote about 4 times this amount the first time, but I'm not going to retype it all.

Here
goes
nothing...
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Agreed. I didn't like this one either.
All a bit absurd, although there was a little bit of humor and I liked the inanity of the "EXPELLIARMUS!" punchline.

And LOL. As far as Martha, I mean, the Doctor went and kissed her like that in the first episode, she never stood a chance.

I wouldn't call her a slut. She's just WAY into him in particular. And can you blame her? She's single, he's extremely attractive, plus he's the Doctor.

But her mooning over him is so painful to watch. Especially whenever she does he starts talking about Rose 55

Poor Martha.

You may like the next episode, Gridlock, I found it interesting.

But like I said... then it's a bit of a dry spell for a few episodes. Keep at it, because the second half of S3 is REALLY, REALLY good.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:26 pm

As far as losing posts, that happened to me once so now when I type something long I just do a quick control-A control-C to copy it before I post, in case it's lost.
But, it hasn't happened since.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:43 pm

I just watched Gridlock, and it wasn't my favorite episode but it wasn't as bad as Shakespeare code...

Why people would even embark on travel that would take years to travel 5 miles just went way over me
head. They kept talking about gridlock, but there was as much unoccupied space at the top of the tunnel
as there was space gridlocked with cars. I dunno... That just all seemed stupid, especially since at the end
we see that apparently all the cars in the world can just race about in
air with no need of a motorway.

... but enough about that...

What I liked...

The face of Boe.. The FOB was awesome. 

The end of the episode was great.. the FOB passing was truly emotional. 
Loved that face... Him telling the Doctor he wasn't alone had enough ambiguous
meaning to just be great. I hope the payoff for that is spectacular, and it certainly
doesn't mean there has to be other Time Lords running around.

When Martha made the Doctor tell her about what happened... wonderful. The emotion
Tenant pulled off there was great. I loved how he didn't speak to much about their demise,
but spoke of their glory. I loved how the camera pulled away and the sound faded away as
he was telling her the beauty of his now gone home planet. 

Those things were excellent.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 pm

@vonnegut wrote:
As far as losing posts, that happened to me once so now when I type something long I just do a quick control-A control-C to copy it before I post, in case it's lost.  
But, it hasn't happened since.  

It happens when someone makes a post while I am making mine..
I just hit send and leave... but then I come back and I see it has this
message up about someone else leaving a post after I started mine
and how I need to look it before I make sure I want to officially send
mine in. Then because I've been away for so long it's like the page then
does a refresh and my **** is gone. 

I'm running another board now over there where I was building our life-raft after the MyMedia crash, and nothing like that ever happens.

I guess I just never need to hit the send button and then exit. I need to
hang around and answer any and all post-send questions before exiting.

Plus sorry about the lack of posting. I've been very busy with other interweb responsibilities I know have...I am crazy busy with work right now trying to generate beach house revenue.. my regular house experienced a flood... I've got two kids playing multiple sports.. pets dying.. it's been a wee bit hectic for me.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Face of Boe payoff...

YOU.HAVE.NO.IDEA.

That payoff may be one of my favorites in the whole show. I'm so excited for you to get there.

Re: the pop up message, I think you get two choices? You dont have to choose to review the other message first, you can just go ahead and post anyway.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 am

I know...
the issue lies when I hit send and then exit the site before the message pops up, and it is slow to
pop up. I hit send and as soon as I see it begin to send, I am hitting another link or
something to exit the site.. so the question of do I want to post anyway or view the other
post first never gets answered and I'm 20 miles down the interent highway already.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:42 am

Sorry but I loved the utter campiness and theatrical quality of Shakespeare Code. I loved the three witches and how deliciously murderous they were. I loved Martha's line after Shakespeare proves himself to be a crowd pleasing banterer and the Dr goes all sourfaced: You should never meet your heroes. I also loved where the Dr quotes Dylan Thomas and Shakespeare offers to steal the line and the Dr counters that it's already taken. I actually loved all the supporting characters, especially the actors who find themselves in the middle of genuinely magical warfare. I also loved where young witch touches the Dr's heart (in a bad way) and Martha has to work doubly hard to revive the Dr and the Dr says something like how do you are function with only one heart? Also, the Dr claims that the duplicitous bureaucrat of No Shakespeare You May Not Have Your Play dies of the vapors while secretly whispering to Martha because the guy drowned that he didn't want the crowd to know it was witchcraft. Why, Martha asks, what was it? Witchcraft.

As for Gridlock. I enjoyed the episode a lot overall, but it was the Face of Bo that brought everything to the highest level. I actually liked the Cat Nurse almost as much. And I liked all the people trapped in their cars relying on their radio communication and strange forms of nutrition. What I didn't like as much were the bottom dwelling monsters. Maybe there were just too many of them. One creepy stalky monster would have been enough. The woman kidnapper later stars on the original Being Human and is truly wonderful there. As for the guy kidnapper, well, he's just all that.

Last edited by davidalan on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : proofreading: it is a readily available skill)
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 am

I'll agree on most of that about Gridlock. Catgirl was great as well.

Shakespeare code though... we will just agreeably disagree.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:18 am

@vonnegut wrote:
Agreed.  I didn't like this one either.  
All a bit absurd, although there was a little bit of humor and I liked the inanity of the "EXPELLIARMUS!" punchline.

And LOL.  As far as Martha, I mean, the Doctor went and kissed her like that in the first episode, she never stood a chance.

I wouldn't call her a slut.  She's just WAY into him in particular.  And can you blame her?  She's single, he's extremely attractive, plus he's the Doctor.  

But her mooning over him is so painful to watch.  Especially whenever she does he starts talking about Rose 55  

Poor Martha.

You may like the next episode, Gridlock, I found it interesting.

But like I said... then it's a bit of a dry spell for a few episodes.  Keep at it, because the second half of S3 is REALLY, REALLY good.  
She's a ho.

"Oooo... you got a TARDIS that crank on the first try"
'drops panties'
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Profile -> Preferences -> "Display a notification when new replies are written :
You'll be warned if a reply was posted while you where writing a reply to the same topic"
Hit "No."
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:27 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:

Plus sorry about the lack of posting. I've been very busy with other interweb responsibilities I know have...I am crazy busy with work right now trying to generate beach house revenue.. my regular house experienced a flood... I've got two kids playing multiple sports.. pets dying.. it's been a wee bit hectic for me.

No worries.

I would say, especially in light of this, to rethink the next two episodes.
It's a two parter and it's really, really awful.
If you're being completist and want to do it right, at the very least just have them playing while you're doing some other useful task, instead of devoting all of your attention to them.

The one after them is just kind of "okay" and has Mark Gatiss in it, so that one I won't warn you against.

And after that it's all good.

And yes, the Face of Boe <3
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:36 pm

He cant skip the episodes that explain perception filters, no matter how awful they are. They are important.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:01 pm

I had enough of the Robo-plumbers for this season so I skipped 4 and 5 this time around. Anyway, enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Oh nvm, I thought you had him skipping Human Nature and Family of Blood. Just ignore me.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 pm

I am going to watch everything. It's just who I am.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:59 pm

@Nessess wrote:
Oh nvm, I thought you had him skipping Human Nature and Family of Blood. Just ignore me.

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
I am going to watch everything. It's just who I am.

I understand 100%. I did the same thing, even when my guides were telling me to skip horrible episodes.

I just want you to be prepared. Like I said-- do something constructive while watching, so that your time isn't entirely wasted.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 pm

@Nessess wrote:

Never skip these episodes. They offer some of the most evil villains in history, and by that I mean deliciously evil. Plus, we receive a pre-GOT performance by Harry Lloyd (the lesser Targaryen heir).
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:39 pm

I don't think anyone would tell him to skip those.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 pm

No, no of course not. I was just bouncing off of Nessess' post to offer critical and fanboy praise of Human Nature and Family of Blood. And then right after them---Blink!
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 pm

I dont care much for either of those episodes. But I do recognize their importance in the overarching story.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:50 pm

@Warthawg1 wrote:
I know...
the issue lies when I hit send and then exit the site before the message pops up, and it is slow to
pop up. I hit send and as soon as I see it begin to send, I am hitting another link or
something to exit the site.. so the question of do I want to post anyway or view the other
post first never gets answered and I'm 20 miles down the interent highway already.

I am unfortunately a heavy editor on my posts and I hate those Last Edited timestamps. So for long posts, I've gotten into the habit of putting it in Notepad first then copy paste into the post. I'll still occasionally re-edit after I post, but a lot less. I guess I'm a little OCD in that respect, lol.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 am

From now until when Warty responds, I'll just assume that Daleks in Manhattan made him quit the show.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:27 am

It sounds as though he's busy (whereas each of my seven deadly sins moves to the front of my life when it feels like it, impeding any sense of purpose or even forwardability) but since he seems like a time is precious sort of guy, I would urge him to skip those two episodes because they add nothing and subtract everything from the Dr Who saga. Jump to the cautionary Lazarus story, which, while not one of the best, has a certain charm.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 am

He won't skip. He has a sense of duty and integrity to the story. I understand that, I'm the same way.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:51 am

Then carry on, but have an alternative source of entertainment (I-pad, deck of cards for solitaire, one of his kids reading aloud his analysis of Lord of the Flies he wrote for English class at school) handy to keep brain cells from instantly deteriorating.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:57 am

Ok... done with Daleks in Manhattan and The Evolution of Daleks.

As ridiculous as pig men are, the precedent was set earlier in the series.

We all know that these episodes are not winners, but they didn't make me
want to quit the show. If you look past all the garbage you can see a few
positive things.

The comment by Tallulah about the Doctor being a fan of musicals as the reason
why Martha and he were not "together". Plus there were some really good moments
of emotion shown by Tenant that further evolve his character in a positive manner.

The Solomon character was a good one, as were some others.

All in all these episodes were not good, but not as bad as everyone made them sound. I didn't even really think that much about it. Bad, yes... but maybe not the very worst.

I actually thought the Evolution of Daleks was the lesser of the two. I wouldn't rewatch either, but neither affected my Doctor Who fandom.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:44 am

Well, no, they aren't the very worst, you already did that one ("Love and Monsters").

I just fret too much.

I will reiterate for the ninth or tenth time that I DID NOT REC THIS SHOW TO YOU.

And I will smile, again, that I did not, and that you are watching it. I still don't know whether my underestimation of you is a compliment or an insult. But I do know that I enjoy your perspective to an obscene extent, and am delighted that you ARE watching.
(I will also say that, while I didn't rec Dr Who to you, I *did* rec Sandman, and it is in the spirit of that, that I rec Dark Tower. But that's a conversation for this summer)

The thing with Doctor Who is that every episode has a new writer. SO much inconsistency. The show-runner mans the rudder and puts in story arc bits, but every episode is hit or miss. You never know what you're going to get-- some piece of genius by Moffatt or Neil Gaiman, or some piece of garbage by Gatiss or whatever random bitch they got to pen a script.

Given this inconsistency, what makes the show special? The Doctor. He's consistent. In the best of episodes, the show has the freedom of any good sci-fi, to explore our society, our hearts and minds, to explore possibilities and play with them. But in ANY episodes, we still have the basis of the show, the depth and beauty of the characters.

I think one of the reasons I've never done Classic Who is because I fell in love with the 9th Doctor and his progression and development through time. I don't know how I would feel about a Doctor who hadn't gone through the Time War, who didn't have the weight of genocide on his soul, who wasn't alone in the universe even when he has company, who didn't feel the weight of his years and his sins so intensely, who wasn't so ecstatic when everyone lives, who didn't silently suffer so much at the death of one individual innocent. That's the Doctor I love. That's the guy I grok.

And all of the supporting characters. And all of the supporting characters. Rose, in her Bad Wolf glory, so much more than she was ever meant to be in her boring, mundane life. Jack Harkness, in his tense, grinning pain and loss.
Even Martha. So beautiful (I think she may be tied with Amy for the most objectively gorgeous companion), so refined, such a lovely, lovely doormat of a human being. I still think, Warty, that you and I could have an argument about her being a "ho"-- she isn't promiscuous, is my point. It's not like she's just out to get fucked all the time. She just fell so hard and so fast.
And really, now that I think more of it, I have issue with what you said. Not just in a "it's 2018, slut shaming blah blah blah" way, because terms and value-context aside, there are words for sexual behavior, either promiscuous or price-exchange prostitution.
But I think you don't understand Martha.
Going all the way, going full on, throwing your soul on the line, that isn't slutty. Or, to be value-neutral, that isn't promiscuous.
Martha isn't just a cheap ho. She is literally in love. How long, really, should a couple in love have to wait to consummate that love?
It's not crude physical perversion of intimacy, it is the EPITOME of emotional intimacy.

And again... look back at the difference between Rose and Martha. From the start. Rose HAD a boyfriend, she already had a relationship. She just didn't have much else. Martha had a family, a rising career, a keen mind, a sense of ambition, she had everything except someone she loved.
If the Doctor reciprocated, it would have been a sweet story of lovers falling for each other.

The only thing that keeps it from being that sweet love story, that keeps Martha from being a romantic hero in a fairy tale-- The Doctor is in love with Rose.

So I think you're wrong, Warty. She isn't a slut. She's just an unfortunate fool. She's just kind of sad and pathetic.

And as much as I roll my eyes at Martha, I feel for her. I'm a sucker for an unrequited love story. I don't think I can really respect her, because she's following the tough act of Rose and, like the Doctor, I really really loved Rose, but--

I can't despise her. I can only pity her, and be sad for her.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:52 am

I will say that not spoiling makes me itch, and I really want you to get to S4.

SO MUCH S4.

A lot of people say S3 is their favorite, and now that you're nearly done with the shit, you're about to find out why.

But S4 is my favorite, absolutely, for the Companion, for the genius of the individual episodes, for the arc, for everything.

The other night I rewatched "Midnight" from S4, as I do, and Jason watched with me, and afterwards remarked that he'd seen that episode probably three or four times (I rewatch "Midnight" A LOT), but that it still really affected him.

So, others in this thread, take your "Blink," fuck off, and give me S4 "Midnight."

But.

Anyway. Clear throat. Next up, warty, is Lazarus, with Mark Gatiss. A silly episode, but not a bad one.

And then the S3 magic starts for you. I can't wait.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:35 am

Midnight is a weird episode that I really really like. But Blink is the one. I don't want to give too much away but I'll just say that every character in Blink rises to the occasion. Season 4 does have some very good episodes and even excellent episodes.

If you want to see a better Mark Gatiss, of course see Sherlock, or even his role as Mr. Snow (not mopey moody John Snow) in the second to the last season of Being Human, the original UK version.

As for Martha, I disagree that she is someone to be pitied or is even weak. So the fuck what if she falls in love with the Doctor and he doesn't reciprocate. Does it break her as a person? Fuck no. He's the one who can't be honest with her until she sits down on some handy prop chair and insists that the Dr quit prevaricating about his life. He doesn't initiate that conversation so who's the weak one there? Not her. Him. It's stupidly easy to traipse around the universe and do amazing things when you have a time machine, two hearts, and the arrogance of Trump. No, she's merely human, with feelings, but also with courage and action. God forbid.

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:08 am

I'm going to suspend any discussion of the merits of Midnight, and how it is infinitely superior to Blink, because I damn near lose my mind imagining everything that Warty will get out of Midnight.

He will likely enjoy Blink, because it's enjoyable, but he will GET SOMETHING out of Midnight, because of its ideas and thoughts.

We'll talk about why after S4.

And better Mark Gatiss is always Mycroft Holmes in Sherlock. But, I love his Doctor Who involvement, always.

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:18 am

@davidalan wrote:

As for Martha, I disagree that she is someone to be pitied or is even weak. So the fuck what if she falls in love with the Doctor and he doesn't reciprocate. Does it break her as a person? Fuck no. He's the one who can't be honest with her until she sits down on some handy prop chair and insists that the Dr quit prevaricating about his life. He doesn't initiate that conversation so who's the weak one there? Not her. Him. It's stupidly easy to traipse around the universe and do amazing things when you have a time machine, two hearts, and the arrogance of Trump. No, she's merely human, with feelings, but also with courage and action. God forbid.

Martha is strong in many ways.

I have a cartoon to share after the end of this season that hilights the hilarity of it-- she's actually probably more *capable* than Rose, in that she is REALLY REALLY smart. Beyond being a fucking med student, which doesn't generally happen to idiots, she is so quick on the draw with every episode.

But humans aren't just brains.

She's weak because her heart is weak.

And it isn't arrogance that causes the Doctor to reject her over and over.

It is not his fault, either.

THE MAN (TIME LORD, WHATEVER) IS IN LOVE ALREADY.

The hunter was hunted, the biter got bit.

One love is not always a lifetime, particularly when you have 13+ lifetimes. But it matters.

And either way, he was never going to love Martha. What does she have to offer? Much beauty. Yes. But he's the Doctor. He's used to people in all shapes, sizes, forms, other-dimensional forms. Monsters are beautiful, to him. Everything is beautiful.
Brains, okay. That was why he let her on the Tardis in the first place. But that doesn't naturally lead to an emotional, romantic connection.

At the heart of Martha, she's a beautiful dishrag. She is a facade of a personality. For me, the ONLY real thing that makes me feel anything for her is her sad, pathetic unrequited love. We'll talk more when her story is done in the show, because how it ends is the perfect example of the fucking dishrag that she is.

Fuck. And I said I wasn't going to be mean.

But, whatever Martha.

She's such a Martha. And all of the "courage" "brains" blah di blah is overshadowed by that she isn't on the Tardis for adventure or to help people or for the sheer wonder of it, she's there because the Doctor laid some serious genetic transfer kiss on her and her knees went weak. The only thing her life was missing was someone to sweep her off her feet, and the Doctor did that without even trying because he's still mourning Rose. She's only a companion because she really wants in his pants.

So nah. Whatever, Martha.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:46 am

When I called Martha a ho, I was doing so through the lens of "find something negative to say about her so
I can justify not liking her because no one can replace Rose". On top of that, there was an element of jest in
my comment because I am always looking to insert that into my commentary. 
I wouldn't read too much intothat comment or overreact to it. I said it seriously as something I found off-putting in that one episode, but I haven't given it a thought since other than had it happened in an episode I liked better, I probably wouldn't have even said it.

Anyway.... vonne, you might not remember it, but you did once rec the show to me. It wasn't a hard sell, but
you did. My response was that it probably wasn't my cup of tea and that was the end of it. Plus being the observant fellow I am, it was easy to note that you were a fan of the show. That alone is somewhat of a recommendation.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:56 am

@davidalan wrote:
Midnight is a weird episode that I really really like. But Blink is the one. I don't want to give too much away but I'll just say that every character in Blink rises to the occasion. Season 4 does have some very good episodes and even excellent episodes.

I had to look up Midnight to recall the plot and realized I had just recently watched it. I guess the title didn't really bring the episode to mind. I agree, Midnight had some creepy moments but it's not in the same class as Blink, imo.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:57 am

No, it's not in the same class as Blink.

It's way, way better.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:59 am

@Warthawg1 wrote:
When I called Martha a ho, I was doing so through the lens of "find something negative to say about her so
I can justify not liking her because no one can replace Rose". On top of that, there was an element of jest in
my comment because I am always looking to insert that into my commentary. 
I wouldn't read too much intothat comment or overreact to it. I said it seriously as something I found off-putting in that one episode, but I haven't given it a thought since other than had it happened in an episode I liked better, I probably wouldn't have even said it.

Not meaning to read too much, just thinking about Martha in general.

She is following the tough act so we all want negative things to say about her.

But she is also a fucking dishrag. And she's on the Tardis for the wrong reasons. And fuck her.

So there is that.

Quote :

Anyway.... vonne, you might not remember it, but you did once rec the show to me. It wasn't a hard sell, but
you did. My response was that it probably wasn't my cup of tea and that was the end of it. Plus being the observant fellow I am, it was easy to note that you were a fan of the show. That alone is somewhat of a recommendation.

*respectful nod*

Let me know when you get to 42.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:03 am

Blink and Midnight bring very different things to the table. After taking some time to think about it, I think I actually do prefer Midnight to Blink. The psychological aspects get nerves that are still very much raw even in today's society. It really captures human nature well.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:10 am

I've seen other shows with similarities to Midnight, it was familiar, whereas Blink was completely new, I haven't seen anything like it, so that puts it near the top of my list.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:47 am

I just find Blink more artistic. More conceptual. And seriously all the characters are moving. Even the cameo ones. Even the villains, from a certain creepy point of view. But I admire Midnight as well. There's a particularly tricky role in Midnight that's worth the price of admission.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 am

For me the editing takes Blink over the top. Just a superb job.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:16 pm

That as well. The construction of it. The many places the story must move through. It is superb.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Midnight is working on more levels than Blink, psychologically.

Bet that Warty will like it more.

But we should table this until he's actually seen the episodes 55
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Just dropping in to see if Pumbaa is through the Tennant (who I actually really liked), Martha (found her barely tolerable), Donna (flat hated her), Davies (yawn), Dalek overload episodes yet. Nope? No problem. I'll just be over here, wearing a fez, eating custard and fish di...erm...fingers. What's that, Dr. Song? Oh. right...Spoilers. Well, see you when the Pandorica opens.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 pm

TBC being all about 11 is the most hilariously unexpected thing ever. I can't even wrap my head around that.
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:25 pm

@vonnegut wrote:
TBC being all about 11 is the most hilariously unexpected thing ever.  I can't even wrap my head around that.

Why is that unexpected?
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:03 pm

I don't know, I just can't stop laughing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   

Back to top Go down

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch
Page 7 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-