AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 Empty 
gin (20877)
Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch

Go down 
+12
FrodoFraggins
Bee
TBC
Jane
MrBill60
stuntdog
Nessess
His Royal Dorkness
Big John
desi
vonnegut
Warthawg1
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
AuthorMessage
davidalan

davidalan

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 pm

River is overacted. And because the Dr is underwhelming they cancel each other out.

Amy and Rory are the best.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 pm

I just realized that Catherine Tate was on The Office
for a couple of seasons. I totally didn't pick up on
that until i just watched a rerun.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 pm

I just realized that there's a Christmas special before "Impossible Astronaut."

I don't remember anything about it and don't have much urge to rewatch it. I'm going to carry on with S6.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Why is everyone hating on River Song?

My .02 on the issue: I never have been a fan of Alex Kingston. Sometimes I can watch and NOT think how much I don't like her because the character is an interesting one, but then there are other times when she does something totally "Alex Kingston" and I shudder.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 pm

vonnegut wrote:

I don't remember anything about it and don't have much urge to rewatch it.  I'm going to carry on with S6.

My roommate's GF's daughter, 18, just graduated HS last year, mild Spectrum, has invaded and is living on our couch. First time away from oppressive daddy, she's been binge-watching Supernatural on Netflix. The whole damned thirteen seasons. (I'll save my rants about FOX cancelling Firefly after ten episodes for somewhere else). At least it has given Mark Sheppard a steady paycheck.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 10:40 pm

TBC wrote:
vonnegut wrote:

I don't remember anything about it and don't have much urge to rewatch it.  I'm going to carry on with S6.

My roommate's GF's daughter, 18, just graduated HS last year, mild Spectrum, has invaded and is living on our couch. First time away from oppressive daddy, she's been binge-watching Supernatural on Netflix. The whole damned thirteen seasons. (I'll save my rants about FOX cancelling Firefly after ten episodes for somewhere else). At least it has given Mark Sheppard a steady paycheck.

<3 Supernatural <3
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 pm

TBC wrote:
Warthawg1 wrote:
Why is everyone hating on River Song?

My .02 on the issue: I never have been a fan of Alex Kingston. Sometimes I can watch and NOT think how much I don't like her because the character is an interesting one, but then there are other times when she does something totally "Alex Kingston" and I shudder.  

I have no preconceived opinion about Alex, and I have found that the
character is being portrayed in a manner that seems to fit who she is. 

That is all.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 11:09 pm

I don't know what to watch... this is nuts.

Amazon has 9 things listed as prequel to S6 episodes and no Christmas special.

So I'm going to start with The Impossible Astronaut E1
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 11:19 pm

Wise choice.

I'm halfway through it right now, myself.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 pm

10 minutes in...

The Doctor has been killed.

It was said earlier that River Song killed the Doctor.. so was that River in the spacesuit?

Don't answer! Gonna finish watching now.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 10:42 am

I did both episodes last night, commentary coming this evening.

They were even more fun than I remember.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 pm

The Impossible Astronaut & Day of the Moon...

Where to begin... the comedy.

The stuff with Nixon was great. 

"You've got to tape everything that goes on in this office" I love the interweaving of The Doctor into historical events. It's very Forrest Gumpy.

During River's Bruce Willis gunfight scene... "What are you doing?"
The Doctor: "I'm helping!"
River: "You've got a screwdriver... go build a cabinet!"

Then Mark Sheppard as Canton Delaware telling Nixon he wants to marry a black man.. the look on Nixon's face. Sheppard is always fantastic and the guy playing Nixon was as well.

More Sheppard greatness when the alien tells him they have no need of weapons. Sheppard shoots the alien and then says "yeah... welcome to America."

Now The Doctor in this second series appears to have a bit more of an edge to him. In fact, he was a bit of a dick in The Impossible Astronaut, and also a bit dark when he told them not to ever play games with
him. 

Then again he is showing a lot of faces as at the beginning of Day of the Moon he was Doctor Jesus instead of Doctor Dick.

Now there was a lot of good stuff in there again with Rory, Amy, and the love triangle... but let's get to the end and WTF just happened there...

Okay... crazy theory time.

What I think I know...

(River shoots The Doctor + Little girl in a spacesuit shoots The Doctor) / The Doctor says he
knows who it is to the person in the suit before being shot = WTF... the little girl in the suit or whatever was in the suit was River Song.  Yeah, I know... insane.

The little girl in the spacesuit is apparently shown to be Amy's daughter. At least that's the insinuation.  

That makes River Song... wait for it... Amy's daughter.

River Song is a Time Lord... okay, I don't buy that The Doctor fathered his future wife. I'm drawing
the line there because it just doesn't fit.

So then... Amy and Rory spent their wedding night and many more onbord the TARDIS, and it does
appear she may be preggers. So then did the power of the TARDIS give Amy's daughter River a bit
of Time Lord juice?

If this is true, then Amy is The Doctor's MIL which makes her in fact...Mrs. Robinson.

.. or something even more bizzare will explain all of this in a different manner. I don't know..
I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of this.

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 Gonna-have-us-a-nephson-25984579

Moffat packed a lot of wild crap into that hour and a half or so, and as is his genius...

He somehow made me buy it all without question.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Right now I'm just super excited that you know who Mark Sheppard is. I love him so much.

Okay, my comments in a minute.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 11:42 pm

Actually first I'll go ahead and point-by-point yours...

Warthawg1 wrote:
The Impossible Astronaut & Day of the Moon...

Where to begin... the comedy.

The stuff with Nixon was great. 

"You've got to tape everything that goes on in this office" I love the interweaving of The Doctor into historical events. It's very Forrest Gumpy.

Particularly Forrest Gumpy in this case, because "WE'RE GOING TO AMERICA!" I love what a kind of Big Thing that is for this British show, lol. I love the cheeky nods to American stereotypes (Doctor being unconcerned with guns pointed at him, "you're not going to shoot me" and then River shouts "THEY ARE AMERICAN" and he quickly changes to "oh shit" mode, lmfaooo). Subtle little shit like when Nixon gets the Doctor out of trouble at Cape Canaveral, Rory throws out an "America thanks you" line with his British accent and gives them a British salute. It's funny.

Nearly as funny as Sheppard with an American accent on a British show, lmao. Sounds so weird coming out of his mouth, I'm too used to him as Crowley on Supernatural.

Quote :

During River's Bruce Willis gunfight scene... "What are you doing?"
The Doctor: "I'm helping!"
River: "You've got a screwdriver... go build a cabinet!"

Then Mark Sheppard as Canton Delaware telling Nixon he wants to marry a black man.. the look on Nixon's face. Sheppard is always fantastic and the guy playing Nixon was as well.

More Sheppard greatness when the alien tells him they have no need of weapons. Sheppard shoots the alien and then says "yeah... welcome to America."

Now The Doctor in this second series appears to have a bit more of an edge to him. In fact, he was a bit of a dick in The Impossible Astronaut, and also a bit dark when he told them not to ever play games with
him. 

Then again he is showing a lot of faces as at the beginning of Day of the Moon he was Doctor Jesus instead of Doctor Dick.

YES. There are a few scenes where I came close to believing 11 was the Doctor (before the final scene, when I finally grokked him), and I think all of them are in S6. It's definitely 11's peak (as well as Moffat's, imo). Matt Smith is trying very hard, bless his heart. Moffat is giving him fantastic writing, and he IS growing into the role. I just don't think he has enough... enough, to follow in the shoes of Eccleston and Tennant.

Quote :

Now there was a lot of good stuff in there again with Rory, Amy, and the love triangle... but let's get to the end and WTF just happened there...

Okay... crazy theory time.

What I think I know...

(River shoots The Doctor + Little girl in a spacesuit shoots The Doctor) / The Doctor says he
knows who it is to the person in the suit before being shot = WTF... the little girl in the suit or whatever was in the suit was River Song.  Yeah, I know... insane.

The little girl in the spacesuit is apparently shown to be Amy's daughter. At least that's the insinuation.  

That makes River Song... wait for it... Amy's daughter.

River Song is a Time Lord... okay, I don't buy that The Doctor fathered his future wife. I'm drawing
the line there because it just doesn't fit.

So then... Amy and Rory spent their wedding night and many more onbord the TARDIS, and it does
appear she may be preggers. So then did the power of the TARDIS give Amy's daughter River a bit
of Time Lord juice?

If this is true, then Amy is The Doctor's MIL which makes her in fact...Mrs. Robinson.

.. or something even more bizzare will explain all of this in a different manner. I don't know..
I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of this.

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 Gonna-have-us-a-nephson-25984579

LMFAO. I love how your mind tries to pick apart all the whack shit that Moffat is doing here.

I can't comment on any theories one way or another, but it's very fun to watch you attempt to untangle it.

Quote :

Moffat packed a lot of wild crap into that hour and a half or so, and as is his genius...

He somehow made me buy it all without question.

Hell of a salesman.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 12:23 am

Okay, my take on these two episodes--

S6 takes all of our major Moffat characters-- 11, River, Amy, Rory-- to new depths and shades of meaning. He's just doing so much right. We had S5 to get used to them and to get some cheap thrills out of the "wheeeee!" way he deals with time travel. But he's not satisfied with just that, the characters aren't allowed to stagnate now that we are comfortable with them.

11 gets darker, in a Dick way and a Jesus way.
It's easy, when you're watching this manic twelve-year-old, to remember that he IS the same character as 9 and 10. Different face, different personality-- to paraphrase 10, this is the new bloke that went strolling away carrying his memories-- but it's still the same life. Still the same person... and OLDER. And has been through everything that 9 and 10 experienced.
I think that 10 was carrying everything so fuckin' heavily, feeling it all so much, and going through the rollercoaster of emotions that was being 10, this regeneration is largely him shrugging that off and trying to bury it, to outrun it, to be too busy to think about it.
11 is the Doctor's midlife crisis.
But we get lines like this:
Quote :
Who sent those messages? I know you know. I can see it in your faces. Don't play games with me. Don't ever, ever think you're capable of that.
10 carried a thousand years in his eyes, but sometimes 11 carries it in the set of his face. Not always (sorry Matt Smith), but sometimes.

And while River may be his soulmate, this right here breaks me:
Quote :
AMY: Trust me.
DOCTOR: Okay.
AMY: You have to do this, and you can't ask why.
DOCTOR: Are you being threatened? Is someone making you say that?
AMY: No.
DOCTOR: You're lying.
AMY: I'm not lying.
DOCTOR: Swear to me. Swear to me on something that matters.
AMY: Fish fingers and custard.
DOCTOR: My life in your hands, Amelia Pond.

It's a Donna thing.
The Doctor is really into River, in a twisted and fascinated way unlike anything we've seen from the character yet, he's not into Amy in that way.
But, his life in her hands. He trusts her.
Really, I think what the Doctor feels for Amy is more deep and true than the love he had for Rose OR the friendship he had with Donna. It's a kind of surrender. And I think in some ways it's why people have this visceral reaction that manifests as opinions like "we should just have the Amy show and we don't even need the Doctor that much." He has a kind of passivity when it comes to Amy-- he believed in Rose, he thought Donna was brilliant, but he has this willingness to let Amy take the lead in his life, to follow her judgment-- she's his true north. And I think how he sees her reflects back on the audience, we are led to see her through his eyes.

But we also have the harder Doctor now. We've finished 10's arc of the self-doubt and the weight of his crimes. What has emerged is much more manipulative and in many ways more arrogant, and certainly not as cripplingly empathetic.
Quote :
DOCTOR: Or maybe you could just listen a minute. Because all I really want to do is accept your total surrender and then I'll let you go in peace. Yes, you've been interfering in human history for thousands of years. Yes, people have suffered and died, but what's the point in two hearts, if you can't be a bit forgiving, now and then? Ooo, the Silence. You guys take that seriously, don't you? Okay, you got me. I'm lying. I'm not really going to let you go that easily. Nice thought, but it's not Christmas.
No more Mr. Nice Doctor.

Although it also extends to his friends, and the fucked up shit he puts them through, as in our opening Death Scene, and River's reaction when earlier-Doctor walks up.
Quote :
RIVER: This is cold. Even by your standards, this is cold.

Keep in mind that River only meets 10 once, the day she dies. She knows best the older Doctor, and he has cold standards.

But let's talk a minute the tragedy that is River Song.
And the perfect little monologue she has:
Quote :

RIVER: When I first met the Doctor, a long, long time ago, he knew all about me. Think about that. An impressionable young girl and, suddenly this man just drops out of the sky and he's clever and mad and wonderful, and knows every last thing about her. Imagine what that does to a girl.
RORY: I don't really have to.
RIVER: The trouble is, it's all back to front. My past is his future. We're travelling in opposite directions. Every time we meet, I know him more, he knows me less. I live for the days when I see him, but I know that every time I do, he'll be one step further away. And the day is coming when I'll look into that man's eyes, my Doctor, and he won't have the faintest idea who I am. And I think it's going to kill me.
Going back and watching "Silence in the Library" is so incredibly fucking painful, after catching up current with the show.
But I love this little speech because of how it perfectly and profoundly frames River's life, and really lets you see the vulnerability behind her character. "Imagine what that does to a girl."
She always holds her own with the Doctor, with the sassiness, the independence, the regular ol' kick-ass-ery that she has, but if anything that is the self-preservation tactics of a very smart person who is in a very tragic situation. From being that girl who got swept off her feet and fell in love, without at first realizing what it would mean, she's had to adapt, and she does so brilliantly.
But her life still breaks my heart.
Quote :
DOCTOR: Okay. Up to you. See you next time. Call me.
RIVER: What, that's it? What's the matter with you?
DOCTOR: Have I forgotten something?
RIVER: Oh, shut up.
(River kisses the Doctor.)
DOCTOR: Right. Okay. Interesting.
RIVER: What's wrong? You're acting like we've never done that before.
DOCTOR: We haven't.
RIVER: We haven't?
DOCTOR: Oh, look at the time. Must be off. But it was very nice. It was, it was good. It was er, unexpected. You know what they say. There's a first time for everything.
(The Doctor goes into the Tardis.)
RIVER: And a last time.
Fucking hell.

(to be continued)
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 6:36 am

FWIW, seeing Morgan Sheppard, if only briefly, made me look him up. Turns out I have seen him before, unlike Canton Delaware. He was the titular Soul Collector in the Babylon 5 episode (S1 E2) who comes into conflict with Delenn when he arrives at the station to collect the soul of a Minbar. Hira Furlan was not the only future Lostie he has worked with...He has also co-starred with John Terry in the 1980 British sword and sorcery *ahem* epic "Hawk the Slayer", which also featured Jack Palance.

Canton Delaware is only one shared role for the Sheppards. Besides Doctor Who they have played Captain Nemo in in a 2010 big screen production of "Mysterious Island" and a character in an episode of "NCIS".
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 10:30 am

OMG, I had no idea that was actually his dad.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Arrrgh Matey..

That was a decent respite from the intensity of the 1st two episodes. Not much to talk about from
me other than the fact I generally love Sirens, and Siren stories.

That and eye-patch lady.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 5:37 pm

vonnegut wrote:
OMG, I had no idea that was actually his dad.

Yeah...Mark fucked off bad until until he was in his mid-twenties. Grew up the son of an actor, spoilt asswipe, was in shitty rock bands in his teen years, then spent the late 1980s closely examining the gutters in the better parts of Hammersmith and Fulham...oh, wait...Hammersmith and Fulham didn't have "better parts" in the late 1980s...my bad. When he was 27 he quit acting like an arse and started acting.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Arrrgh Matey..

That was a decent respite from the intensity of the 1st two episodes. Not much to talk about from
me other than the fact I generally love Sirens, and Siren stories.

That and eye-patch lady.

Eye-patch lady. I think she's important.

Next episode, "The Doctor's Wife" was written by some guy named "Gaiman" if that means anything to anybody. I thought it was pretty good. After that is a two part which ends on a crucial note...
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Yes. Gaiman time :)
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 12:11 am

vonnegut wrote:

(to be continued)

And then there's Amy and Rory.

She's definitely "sorted" and knows who she wants, but that isn't to say that there isn't some awkwardness here and there.

If Rory was Mickey, well, he'd Mickey on out of the situation like a little Mickey doormat.

But he ain't no Mickey.

This right here is everything:
Quote :
DOCTOR: She can't hear you. I'm so sorry. It's one way.
RORY: She can always hear me, Doctor. Always. Wherever she is, and she always knows that I am coming for her. Do you understand me? Always.
AMY [OC]: Doctor, are you out there? Can you hear me? Doctor? Oh, God. Please, please, Doctor, just get me out of this.
RORY: He's coming. I'll bring him, I swear.

"She can always hear me, Doctor. Always" still gives me goosebumps every time.
The great thing is how intensely he cares for her, and then upon hearing her calling for the Doctor, his face changes a bit, at how much that must sting.
And he just pulls himself together with "I'll bring him."
That's Rory.

Best part of the episode:
Quote :
AMY [OC]: I love you. I know you think it's him. I know you think it ought to be him, but it's not. It's you. And when I see you again, I'm going to tell you properly, just to see your stupid face. My life was so boring before you just dropped out of the sky. So just get your stupid face where I can see it, okay? Okay?
Followed by:
Quote :
AMY: Go. Go.
RORY: We are not leaving without you.
AMY: Look, will you just get your stupid face out of here.
<3 <3 <3

But yeah, part of what makes Rory so great is that he is the anti-Mickey. He is not just going to wave goodbye and let his girl run off in the Tardis without him. He doesn't give up.

You think Mickey would have sat outside of a box for 2000 years, for Rose? Please.

Anyway.

As far as the rest of the episode goes, the blue envelopes are such a neat details, meeting Old Canton first, brilliant opening.

And we are introduced to the Silence, best Dr Who villain since Moffat's other original Doctor Who villains, the Weeping Angels.
He is good at villains.

The first time I watched this, as soon as they interrupted the broadcast with the Silence saying "You should kill us all on sight" I actually squealed and clapped my hands. SO BRILLIANT.

And Amy's pregnant or is she. That's... going to be a thing.
Along with the first glimpse of Eyepatch Lady in the abandoned orphanage. "No, I think she's dreaming."

But let me end with the best shit ever, River and the Doctor having banter:
Quote :
DOCTOR:Oh, and this is my friend River. Nice hair, clever, has her own gun, and unlike me, she really doesn't mind shooting people. I shouldn't like that. Kind of do, a bit.
RIVER: Thank you, sweetie.
DOCTOR: I know you're team players and everything, but she'll definitely kill at least the first three of you.
RIVER: Well, the first seven, easily.
DOCTOR: Seven? Really?
RIVER: Oh, eight for you, honey.
DOCTOR: Stop it.
RIVER: Make me.
DOCTOR: Yeah? Well, maybe I will.
AMY: Is this really important flirting? Because I feel like I should be higher on the list right now.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 12:18 pm

vonnegut wrote:

You think Mickey would have sat outside of a box for 2000 years, for Rose?  Please.

No. I think he would run off to Londinium and look for a party, then finding that place a Roman stockade roughly where Houses of Parliament now stand he would head for Rome where the real action is at, not once bothering to ask himself where all the stars went because in addition to being that shallow he's also that fucking stupid.

Quote :

Anyway.

As far as the rest of the episode goes, the blue envelopes are such a neat details, meeting Old Canton first, brilliant opening.

And we are introduced to the Silence, best Dr Who villain since Moffat's other original Doctor Who villains, the Weeping Angels.
He is good at villains.

Compared with fat aliens shoved into human suits who fart a lot....Yes, he's good.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 10:27 pm

The Doctor's Wife

Well the pairing of Moffat and Gaiman is almost as wonderful as the pairing of The Doctor and his TARDIS.

So many little things addressed here.. where does The Doctor sleep... pushing on a door that says pull.. It's almost like NG had this little list of questions... little details that he has always wanted to know,
and he found a way to bring them all into this story while making it all seem like it all belonged. Nothing
came across as a forced info dump for the show geekdom.

I think we've always known that most of the time the TARDIS has taken The Doctor where he needed to be, not necessarily when he wanted to go. We have also known that The Doctor and the Tardis have a "relationship" of sorts, and leave it to Niel Gaiman to pen a deightful story that explores this relationship
by humanizing the TARDIS in the living breathing and speaking body of a humanoid female.

A boy and his TARDIS.. "Did you wish really HARD?" lolol

I think this season is where we finally see MS come into his own as The Doctor, even if we have other personal favorites. I would also applaud again the supporting actors, as the one playing Idris did a wonderful job. I mean playing the TARDIS can't be easy, yet I found her portrayal of what is generally considered a machine to be completely spot on. 

Then at the end... a tear, and the TARDIS finding that single word; "hello". Damn.. beauty in simplicity.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm

:) I'm in the middle of rewatching this one right now.

So many great lines... "Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner!" 55 55 55
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 11:01 pm

RORY: Sorry. At the end, she was talking. She kept repeating something. I don't know what it meant.
DOCTOR: What did she say?
RORY: The only water in the forest is the river.

:) :) :) :) :)
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 am

Warthawg1 wrote:
The Doctor's Wife

Well the pairing of Moffat and Gaiman is almost as wonderful as the pairing of The Doctor and his TARDIS.

So many little things addressed here.. where does The Doctor sleep... pushing on a door that says pull.. It's almost like NG had this little list of questions... little details that he has always wanted to know,
and he found a way to bring them all into this story while making it all seem like it all belonged. Nothing
came across as a forced info dump for the show geekdom.

I think we've always known that most of the time the TARDIS has taken The Doctor where he needed to be, not necessarily when he wanted to go. We have also known that The Doctor and the Tardis have a "relationship" of sorts, and leave it to Niel Gaiman to pen a deightful story that explores this relationship
by humanizing the TARDIS in the living breathing and speaking body of a humanoid female.

A boy and his TARDIS.. "Did you wish really HARD?" lolol

I think this season is where we finally see MS come into his own as The Doctor, even if we have other personal favorites. I would also applaud again the supporting actors, as the one playing Idris did a wonderful job. I mean playing the TARDIS can't be easy, yet I found her portrayal of what is generally considered a machine to be completely spot on. 

Then at the end... a tear, and the TARDIS finding that single word; "hello". Damn.. beauty in simplicity.

That personality...I more want to call it "A TARDIS and Her Boy". apologies to Harlan Ellison, comes up when we meet the next Companion, after the Ponds have gone their way. Clara is initially suspicious of The Doctor's motives, calling the TARDIS a "Blue snog-box". and voices the feeling that the TARDIS does not like her. Well, you could be excused for acting petulant toward someone who treats your pet Time Lord like a common perv who drives about picking up wayward girls thumbing rides across the south of France after he's saved their life. But that's all a ways off and you will see it when you get there in your own time, so don't fret.

The idea that the TARDIS stole him as much as he stole the TARDIS is a novel concept. Getting put into lockdown (the Pertwee seasons) must have been an intolerable state and having another Time Lord aboard during the Doctor's fourth Incarnation was possible even worse.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 am

Can we NOT talk about Clara yet?

You're just reminding me that we'll have to deal with that.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 8:07 am

So I'm guessing we have a future companion named Clara?
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 pm

..and I'm going to guess that this Clara either sucks, or has something bad happen to her.

,,and Pertwee sounds like a candy from Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.
Back to top Go down
sandi

sandi

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
..and I'm going to guess that this Clara either sucks, or has something bad happen to her.

Don't let vonne's hatred for Clara color her character. I like Clara and she had the unfortunate luck of following the Ponds.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:47 pm

She really does suck, though.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Let's just allow Pumbaa to make his own judgement on The Impossible Girl when he gets that far, shall we?
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:

Careful. 3 is some folks's favorite Doctor. Mine is still 4.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 pm

You're the one brought it up.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 11:53 pm

The Rebel Flesh and The Almost People.

Now see... I was watching this thinking this was back to an old classic regular Doctor Who
Yarn. The old question of what defines life... where is that line. I was making Blade Runner references in my mind. I prided myself on how much I guessed correctly. I knew The Doctor was going to get doppled..
I even guessed they switched shoes because it was made too obvious that Amy noticed them. I knew there were two Jens and they both were fake. Then I started thinking to myself that everything was too easy.. I'm just an average old bloke.. maybe blessed with eye for detail, and a logical mind.. but nothing too spectacular going on up there, so what was I missing? What was it going on that I had overlooked?
It had something to do with our overarching story line... I knew it was something...

But I never saw that coming...

Now I thought it ended with the line The Doctor said to his ganger about being invited to his death, but then the Pond bomb dropped, and it was nuclear.

So Amy has been gone for awhile, and what we saw indicates someone has a purpose... and that purpose
surrounds Amy's baby. 

Amy's baby who I surmise is River Song....

Who ends up killing The Doctor...

baby Pond...

Damn you Moffat... damn you!
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 12:07 am

Warthawg1 wrote:
It had something to do with our overarching story line... I knew it was something...

But I never saw that coming...

Now I thought it ended with the line The Doctor said to his ganger about being invited to his death, but then the Pond bomb dropped, and it was nuclear.

Yassssssssss

I'm glad that SOMETHING can surprise you :p

Next up, Demon's Run, was a mid-season finale.

It's a doozy.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 am

vonnegut wrote:

Yassssssssss

I'm glad that SOMETHING can surprise you :p

Next up, A Good Man Goes To War, was a mid-season finale.

It's a doozy.

FIFY
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 7:35 am

LMAO, damn, knew it was something like that.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 pm

A good man goes to war...

Okay.. So who here isn't going to Watch a new TV series called The Last Centurion?

Moffat has take a dishrag and turned him into a super-hero. 

"Should I repeat the question?"

Cybermen are merely foils for the awesomeness that is Rory Williams Pond.. simply fantastic.

The Doctor is getting the band back together... and that means sexy lizards!
Sontaran nurses.. and of course River Song. Some may truly do this to honor a debt, but I think some of them would have done it anyway because they would understand the importance but motivations aside; it's a great collection.

Melody Pond. 

"Why would you need me..? I'm old...I'm fat!.... I'm blue!!!" lmao

The Doctor's mean streak.... "I want you to tell your men to run away.... I want people to call you Colonel Run Away"  Damn... lol  He was a perfect blend of control and crazy mad man right then. Smith was good here.

Some interesting things here with perception... it's not always just pure evil monsters who see The Doctor as a threat.. it seems the universe is quite divided on the subject with a fair number of things having that mindset. To be honest... The Doctor has been a vessel of good and one who has also brought destruction. He is Clint Eastwood from an old western: "and I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him."

Now it seems I was correct about the baby being conceived with some TARDIS juice in her DNA strand, and her being River was no surprise. I did however miss picking up that the baby was flesh goo right up until the moment Bitchy McEyepatch told The Doctor she had fooled him twice the same way.

At least I don't have to wait for the series to come back, but I do have some things to think about. River killing The Doctor has been made too obvious, but she has said she killed the best man she has ever known. So was it River in that spacesuit? 
I think the rug is being set up to be pulled out from under me. I also think that Moffat has juxtaposed The Doctor/Rory quite a bit in a dialogue. Is that a hint?
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 pm

One of the things I spoiler tagged earlier you can now look at. It mentions Amy talking to baby Melody at the start, the way it's written you think she's talking about The Doctor coming to rescue them until she mentions The Last Centurion. More fantastic writing from Moffat.

The second part of Series Six kicks off with "Let's Kill Hitler" and hang on to your stew-pot helmet, there's another bombshell in the air...bombshell drops.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 5:57 pm

Yeah, aside from the "bombshell", the episode was too goofy for my taste.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 2:39 am

*sigh* I have a hard time reading this thread because it seems you all are completely determined to spoil Warty and not let him enjoy discovering things on his own. Seriously, stop it.

But Warty, congrats. You just made it to one of my absolutely favorite lines. Kelly is right that Matt Smith nails his exit from the show, but that's not the first time he shows greatness. There are a few moments, but this episode may be my favorite. "Colonel Runaway" indeed sir.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 7:18 am

hthis Yes Ness... that was just savage. I believe The Doctor had reached new heights of anger.

"No. Colonel Manton, I want you to tell your men “run away.” Those words. “Run away.” I want you to be famous for those exact words. I want people to call you Colonel Runaway. I want children laughing outside your door, ‘cause they’ve found the house of Colonel Runaway. And when people come to you and ask if trying to get to me through the people I love! …is in any way a good idea, I want you to tell them your name. Look, I’m angry, that’s new. I’m not really sure what’s going to happen now.”

We know he had been pretty angry before, so for him to say that here indicates level 11 on a scale of 10.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Ness is right. We should be savoring the moments as you watch. I'm probably worst since you hit the Matt Smith episodes.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 11:54 pm

From FB chat last week with Ness and Crissy...

Vonne:
Warty just figured out, from Day of the Moon, that River is Amy and Rory's daughter and is Time Lord from being in the Tardis during Amy's pregnancy
I. Shit. You. Not.

Crissy
He's brilliant
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 am

Warthawg1 wrote:
A good man goes to war...

Okay.. So who here isn't going to Watch a new TV series called The Last Centurion?

Moffat has take a dishrag and turned him into a super-hero. 

"Should I repeat the question?"

Cybermen are merely foils for the awesomeness that is Rory Williams Pond.. simply fantastic.

Rory come into his own.

And what makes him that way? He has steel in his soul, and he fuckin loves Amy Pond like no one has ever loved anyone.

He is a regular guy, stupid-face nurse, but he is exposed to Amelia Pond and makes up his mind. And nothing in any universe will divert him from her. "There's a man who is never gonna let us down... even an army couldn't get in the way."

To me, this is part of the magic and the beauty of the Ponds, and why I feel so strongly about them.
I believe in soul-mates. Part of me, the cynical part, laughs so much to hear me make that statement, but how can I not? Look at MY life. Despite being the least romantic person in the universe, I can't deny what I see and experience.
Sometimes you are just so right for someone that it doesn't make sense. The rational rules of the universe don't apply. Atheism doesn't work. Something bigger is at work here. Because of all the people in the world, in the universe, in creation and reality itself, there is THIS person who fits you so completely that it defies explanation. To where it is actually LESS logical that you only met by chance, only came together through chaos.

This happens.

So it's perfectly right, for me, that the show reflects this crazy happenstance. Two people who are meant to be together. And it isn't that Rory is special or extraordinary in some way. He's just a guy. But circumstance drives him to become exactly what he always had the potential to become.

Would Jason sit outside of a box for 2000 years for me? Would I do so for him?
I think yes. Knowing what people are willing to do for their absolute love, it is very plausible.

Rory always had his Self hiding inside of him. It was his love that brought it out.

The Doctor is getting the band back together... and that means sexy lizards!
Sontaran nurses.. and of course River Song. Some may truly do this to honor a debt, but I think some of them would have done it anyway because they would understand the importance but motivations aside; it's a great collection.

Melody Pond. 

"Why would you need me..? I'm old...I'm fat!.... I'm blue!!!" lmao[/quote]

LMAO. The sexy lizard and her cross-species lover, and the Sontaran nurse, will be back. Good times.

Quote :

The Doctor's mean streak.... "I want you to tell your men to run away.... I want people to call you Colonel Run Away"  Damn... lol  He was a perfect blend of control and crazy mad man right then. Smith was good here.

I was going to say "Whenever I bitch about 11, Ness brings up Colonel Runaway" and then she popped up on this thread, right on cue.

Yeah, that scene is a Thing. It certainly is.

Quote :

Some interesting things here with perception... it's not always just pure evil monsters who see The Doctor as a threat.. it seems the universe is quite divided on the subject with a fair number of things having that mindset. To be honest... The Doctor has been a vessel of good and one who has also brought destruction. He is Clint Eastwood from an old western: "and I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him."

The perspective of "what you have become" is what chills me and stays with me about this episode.

From "the man who makes people better" (according to the Master), now he is "mighty warrior." Is that what he wants to be? Does he want to see these people dying for him?
"They're always brave" is a line from this episode that rips at my heart.
Quote :

Now it seems I was correct about the baby being conceived with some TARDIS juice in her DNA strand, and her being River was no surprise. I did however miss picking up that the baby was flesh goo right up until the moment Bitchy McEyepatch told The Doctor she had fooled him twice the same way.

I still can't believe how quickly you cottoned to that. I was BLOWN AWAY and had no idea, even after the "the only water in the forest is the river" comment from the Gaiman episode.

But yeah, when Amy's baby dissolved in her arms, I screamed out loud, and I will never really be over that. Plus I was not that far removed from post-partum when I watched this, so I viscerally experienced what Amy experienced in that moment. I have not recovered. It's so fucking horrible.

Quote :

At least I don't have to wait for the series to come back, but I do have some things to think about. River killing The Doctor has been made too obvious, but she has said she killed the best man she has ever known. So was it River in that spacesuit? 
I think the rug is being set up to be pulled out from under me. I also think that Moffat has juxtaposed The Doctor/Rory quite a bit in a dialogue. Is that a hint?

:) Wait, watch, and see.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 12:13 am

There are so many good Rory/Amy videos that I want to post, but I can't yet, because Spoilers.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 am

But OMFGGGG Now I can post this meme 55 55 55

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 9d4587014ae09409a3a40817ccaec9d0
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2018 12:38 am

100 likes on soulmates.

Let's kill Hitler..

Or "What did I just watch?"

I don't like info dumps and this seemed like a "let's clear some things up" episodenthat might have been a wee bit too convenient. I really didn't care for Mels growing up with Rory and Amy thing, but it's not my story.. It's Moffat's.

This did answer a question I had though, which was why didn't River regenerate back at the Library.

The scene with River and The Doctor going back and forth with the gun was cute and clever, but not really the sort of interaction I really fancy.

I suppose this episode explained a few things... how did the person brainwashed to kill The Doctor end up loving him... what happened to baby Pond...

but actually I found it very meh, if not really unsatisfying. I mean it did answer a few things...not nearly as smart as I had hoped. 

What I did enjoy was The Last Centurion punching Hitler and throwing him in a closet. The paradox of her baby causing Amy to realize that Rory loves her and she loves him was cool.

That's all I have on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch
Page 14 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next