AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 Empty 
gin (20877)
Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch

Go down 
+12
FrodoFraggins
Bee
TBC
Jane
MrBill60
stuntdog
Nessess
His Royal Dorkness
Big John
desi
vonnegut
Warthawg1
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
AuthorMessage
vonnegut

vonnegut

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 10:37 am

LMFAO
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 9:20 pm

TBC wrote:
Now go watch The Bells of St Johns.

ahhhhhhhnd, done

Interesting....

Things of note: 

The book by Amelia Williams was a nice touch.

Clara had a couple of years missing from her book. Were those the years she showed up (and died) in The Doctor's journeys?

Someone gave her The Doctor's phone number? Was it River?

The Doctor and Clara have this great way of bouncing energetically off of one another, but they are going to need to be careful
with that. It could end up being a bit too much. Pond had a calming influence.. working well with the Matt Smith Doctor but not putting me into verbal sensory overload. Clara might cross that line.

As for the story itself.... eh.. I mean the Great Intelligence is back and I sort of like how it (him..whatever) may tie in to the three Clara's, but other than that I never really felt engaged in anything other than the development of The Doctor/Clara relationship. The story seemed well paced, but the details never really grabbed me.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 9:22 pm

I only watched that episode once, the first time through, and remember nothing about it.

Maybe I should try to motivate myself to rewatch the 11/Clara episodes.

*sigh*

Too bad we can't just skip to 12.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 am

I really dislike Clara. I couldn't get into 12 at all until he moved on from her.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 pm

The Cold War

This was an enjoyable ep... it harkens back to earlier years when the show had really gained it's footing but hadn't really gotten into a huge overarching plot. It was just good adventure (although I am sure Moffatt will tie it into something larger).

I am amazed with the number of GOT actors that HBO robbed from Doctor Who, and in this episode we had the Onion Knight, Liam Cunningham. We also had someone else it took me a few minutes to place before I figured out it was Edmund Tully.. whatever the actor's name is. We also had the wonderful David
Warner who has had some role in every decent movie ever made. 

I still can't really warm up to Clara, but I should. She's attractive, witty, smart, courageous... all the things
I should be attracted to... but she lacks a certain vulnerability or something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Anyway, to be fair... this was a solid episode.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 am

It's well known that England has only like 10 actors, and they are just in all of the shows.

What Clara lacks is personality. Charisma. "It."

She ain't got It.

Granted, she is following Amy, which is damn hard to do.
But even Rose had more of a spark, a vitality, that Clara just doesn't have. Pretty, smart, dull.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 11:27 pm

HIDE

Hide was a well done spooky episode that kept with current trend of feeling like early reboot season
Doctor Who.

I thoroughly enjoyed it right up until the 3 last minutes when they totally neutered the "monster" by letting us know he was motivated by love. Oh and of course The Doctor has to reunite the lost lovers and
blah blah.

Really... they should have left the last 5 minutes out
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 2:18 am

vonnegut wrote:
It's well known that England has only like 10 actors, and they are just in all of the shows.

While here in the States we have hundreds of indistinguishable bits of eye candy, none of which can actually act.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Journey to the center of the Tardis

... Eh

The only thing really important here is that Clara found a book about the Time war.. opened it to the
exact right page and found some dirt on The Doctor; mainly his name.. probably some more stuff. 
We got to see the Tardis swimming pool, but most of this was just keep mumbo jumbo that got more mumbo jumboey as it went on. 

Wouldn't rewatch.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2018 12:15 am

Now that the magic reset button episode is over, we return to something much more enjoyable as the Queen of Thorns joins Edmund Tully as the latest GOT stars to turn up in Whoville. The stars of this episode though were Vastra, Jenny, and the indomitable butler Strax. I still say I would watch a series
staring those 3 in a heartbeat, and Strax would be awesome as The Doctor's companion. 

I'm not going to talk about the details... there's no back and forth to be had there right now, but those
three plus the sheer joy of Diana Rigg made this a lot of fun. Ada was a sympathetic character, and Clara had only a secondary role.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2018 2:39 am

Warthawg1 wrote:
Now that the magic reset button episode is over, we return to something much more enjoyable as the Queen of Thorns joins Edmund Tully as the latest GOT stars to turn up in Whoville.

My dear fellow. I haven't the faintest idea what you're fucking talking about.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 am

The resolution to Journey to the center of the Tardis was a big giant reset/do-over button.

The next episode was one I enjoyed much more.

Dame Diana Rigg was the guest star, Ms Gillyflower. She played Olenna Tyrell in Game of Thrones: The Queen of Thorns. She joins a long line of GOT actors who appeared as guest stars in Doctor Who.. one of the most recent being Tobias Menzies who was one of the Russian officers in the episode Cold War (along with
another GOT alum, Liam Cunningham who played the Captain)
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 am

Don't start me gushing on *ahem* Dame Diana Rigg. (I say with as much proper posture as I can muster). And David Warner in the Soviet Sub episode had me giddy.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 12:05 am

Nightmare in Silver

Neil Gaiman's second foray into the Whoniverse wasn't as good as his first and I won't let my admiration for other things he's done cloud my judgement here. That being said... it was enjoyable, but just not "great", and my expectations were awfully high. I did not enjoy the back and forth between The Doctor and his Borg side all that much, and I hated the entire concept of the kids. I think Gaiman was handed the kids and then was asked to do something with them, and in that regard he actually made the best of a bad situation by relegating them to drone status. 

Overall though it was well paced and one of the better eps of this season's part 2. Unfortunately that's
not saying much as the only redeeming part of Pt 2 has been Strax, Jenny, and Madame Vastra.

I would note that I don't think I mentioned Clara at all. Not sure I noticed her. What a disappointment.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 11:10 am

I'm just sitting here nodding and agreeing with everything in that post.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2018 2:07 pm

I used to think it was the actresses fault that Clara was so dull, but she plays the lead role in Vctoria on PBS. She's quite good in that, so I settled on her being poorly written. I have speculations on why that happened, but wont elaborate until you reach a certain episode because spoilers.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Well I would note that Prime video does a poor job of
laying out Doctor Who in proper sequential order.

I think I figured it out though....

Now I've seen The Name of The Doctor.

Then I watched The Night of The Doctor which I can only assume
was the 8th Doctor and his regeneration to The War Doctor.

I just finished The Day of The Doctor with War, 10, and 11 together.

Now I'm up to The Time of The Doctor which I believe will be the
end for 11.

Prime tried to take me from The Name straight into S8. 

I will comment on the viewings after I watch The Time Tonight.
Back to top Go down
Nessess

Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 pm

So, when the 50th anniversary special came out they actually aired it in theaters in 3D too.  I managed to score tickets.  There was a great intro to the theatrical version that I'm not sure would have made it onto Amazon.  I've included it here.  
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2018 11:28 pm

The Name
The Night
The Day
The Time

of The Doctor

Made sitting through the rubbish of S7 Pt2 all worthwhile.

I'll take just a second to step back from my criticisms of the 11th Doctor and appreciate what he brought to the character. Tennant and Ecclestone were gone, and it was unfair of me to expect him to be their equal. In the end he delivered the role as written, and it's all a bit more understandable now.

I am not going to spend much time talking about the plots of these final episodes other than to say Steven Moffat is masterful at the overarching story, and everything dove-tailed quite nicely.

I now have a clearer understanding of Eccelstone's 9 and more clarity on how fresh and raw his anger was. The actor was a great choice for the character at this time, and he will always occupy a fond place in my memory.

The transition to Tennant's Doctor was emotionally spot on as one still dealing with the anger.. and finally
Matt's time as the silly child-like Doctor all makes sense.

The War Doctor brought it all together, and just how fantastic was John Hurt? He made me really understand and feel the gravity of what The Doctor had done. 

Speaking of the final episodes... and they do feel final as the new Doctor almost feels like a reboot.. Billie Piper was back and absolutely fantastic. The incarnations of The Doctor seen were wondeful even for someone who onlynhad a cursory knowledge of them, and seeing Tom Baker as the curator of the museum
was a delight. The stories were great... the weaving of everything together was magnificent, and Matt's regeneration speech was nailed. 

It all just disappears doesn't it? Everything you are, gone in a moment like breath on a mirror. 
Any moment now, he’s a coming, The Doctor and I always will be. But times change and so must I. We all change, when you think about it. 
We are all different people all through our lives and that's okay, that's good you've got to keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. 
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me..

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 8:06 am

Warthawg1 wrote:

It all just disappears doesn't it? Everything you are, gone in a moment like breath on a mirror. 
Any moment now, he’s a coming, The Doctor and I always will be. But times change and so must I. We all change, when you think about it. 
We are all different people all through our lives and that's okay, that's good you've got to keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. 
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me..

Told you it was good.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySat Jul 07, 2018 8:10 am

Okay yeah I completely deserted you for the second half of S7, but I'm going to rewatch these specials and then hop in with S8.

I haven't yet rewatched any of 12's seasons, and I really want to anyway.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 1:00 am

Season 8 E1

Deep Breath

The new Doctor always takes a bit of getting used to, doesn't he?

While I have been fonder of the younger more current Doctors, this progression is logical within the context of the reboot. Each previous Doctor had gotten seemingly younger and younger as he sought to distance himself from the War Doctor, but this Doctor is more accepting of who he is and his age; a lifting of the veil as Vastra described it.

Another thing that was done quite well was the use of Clara as us, the viewers. Her journey of acceptance mirrored our own, and I think Moffat used her quite well in that regard. 

This is however almost a 3rd reboot. It so seems at this point that the 2nd Doctor series ended with 11, and the journey begins again in a very new way instead of a continuation. It will be interesting to see if Moffat can truly integrate 12 into a cohesive story with 9,10, and 11.... but I think I will be okay if he doesn't. New beginnings are okay sometimes.

It's going to be interesting as the new Doctor seems a bit of a throwback to earlier older Doctor's that are
really not what I am familiar with. Plus I would note that he seems to be a wee bit of a prick, coming off a bit colder now that he has lost his need to be accepted and loved that he had immediately post Time-War.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 4:30 am

All Doctors take a bit of getting used to, this one a bit more than most. My how things have changed. When Peter Davison replaced Tom Baker everyone screamed "He's too young!" This time it's not just a rough transition for us, the audience, it's rough on The Doctor and on his current Companion. At least Vastra, Jenny, and Strax seem to have no problems accepting the difference.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 9:14 am

The age change now though is contextual. It may have been worse for people to adjust to back in "the day" if it was just random. I really can't speak about that having not been there for that day.

It was very difficult adjusting from Tennant to Smith, so it might not even be age related. What concerns
me is there as always been a physical attraction between most of the female companions and The Doctor.
That has always provided a unique dynamic between the two that will now be missing. In terms of character relationships and depth, it is one less tool in the shed for the writers to use.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 10:58 am

I personally think it has become an over-used tool. Bruce Willis again. Doctors don't run and the TARDIS is not a snog box. I guess that why I hated...ugh, hated her so much I can't be bothered to remember her name...so much. She was the embodiment of everything Davies did to pervert The Doctor. Martha...that's the bint's name. Things going "Michael Bay" 'splodey, Daleks every other episode, and Companions falling all twitterpated for the Docter. The only "Classic" companion who would ever had a right to have done so would have been Romana, she was Galifreyan at least.

With Capaldi we have more of a "thinking fan's" Doctor. He reminds me of a certain passage from Desolation Angels: "I learned that I don't much like myself."
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 11:33 am

You see things from a much different perspective than I do. The Doctor that you say Davies perverted is the only Doctor I have ever known. Therefore the tension born of attraction is all I have ever known, and is a major part of the character relationship. Even with Donna, the non-attraction played into the story of the nature of The Doctor and companion relationship.

You seemingly see that aspect as somethig that should have never been there because it never was before, and I see it as something that should be there because it always has been.

Had I been there all along though, I am not sure I wouldn't have found it a natural progression of a post
Time-War Doctor. His need to be loved being a result of what had taken place in the in-between. I think
I see it all as having been very necessary. While you see a return to the comfort of familiarity, I see a step into the great unknown with the complexity of character partially stripped away.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
You see things from a much different perspective than I do. The Doctor that you say Davies perverted is the only Doctor I have ever known. Therefore the tension born of attraction is all I have ever known, and is a major part of the character relationship. Even with Donna, the non-attraction played into the story of the nature of The Doctor and companion relationship.

You seemingly see that aspect as somethig that should have never been there because it never was before, and I see it as something that should be there because it always has been.

I see where you're coming from because I started with 9 as well, but there was Donna.

The non-attraction will play into it here, as well.

With even more of a twist to it because Donna was NEVER into the Doctor, but Clara is going from her boyish-crush-Doctor to no-fucking-nonsense-12.

He's still the Doctor so he stills cares about Clara, but he doesn't want to bang her, and she doesn't know WHAT to do with him.

Quote :

Had I been there all along though, I am not sure I wouldn't have found it a natural progression of a post
Time-War Doctor. His need to be loved being a result of what had taken place in the in-between. I think
I see it all as having been very necessary. While you see a return to the comfort of familiarity, I see a step into the great unknown with the complexity of character partially stripped away.

It's not completely unfamiliar, though, imo.

I think part of my great affection for 12 is how he reminds me a bit of 9, much of time.

Just because he's not interested in romantic stuff (with Clara, at least) doesn't mean that he is unemotional. He still feels.

But, what is his purpose?
Gallifrey is saved. (ish)
He's gotten through being 10 and 11 ("the one who regrets, and the one who forgets"). His mid-life crisis of 11 is over.
Now what?

I'm going to rewatch Ep1 today and pull out a few lines that I think are of specific import.

But while there are a few Capaldi episodes that I've rewatched just for the brilliance of them (I've literally prob seen "Heaven Sent" maybe 10-12 times), I haven't done a full season over again. I'm wondering if my initial impressions hold out.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Well exactly my point with Donna....

Her non-attraction worked better because it was contrasted against The Doctor fresh off
of Martha(so to speak).

and I don't think 9, 10, or 11 ever wanted to bang their companion, but to some degree they wanted
their companions to want to bang them.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 8:59 pm

kInto the Dalek

Well I warmed up to Capaldi fairly quickly. I find the colder hard logic very interesting.

As far as the episode goes, these rebels were pretty ignorant. It was a malfunction that made the Dalek "good", so they had to at least consider that repairing that fault might have dire consequences. That beimg said, it was still a very solid episode in the important areas. The important areas being character exploration and all that.

There was some really good stuff here delving into what makes someone what they are. "Am I a good man?" As the Dalek came more to the center we see the heart of The Doctor being so close to the other side. We see the same questions played out with Clara and Mr. Pink as well as The Doctor and Ms. Soldier Blue. I would note that The Doctor here is being more than a wee bit hypocritical. While he later regretted the decision when he was faced with the moment he went and pulled the trigger on two entire species. He has no right in my opinion to be so righteously judgmental towards the soldier. 

I love that the ship was called Aristotle.. as we explore philosophical questions. I also loved Capaldi being
sort of a badass with manners, lol

Notice especially how seemingly relieved The Doctor was that the Dalek went back to being normal. If a Dalek could be "good" then it upsets The Doctor's absolute view he has held forever. Despite the immediate ramifications, he was most happy that he had opinion confirmation.

In the end The Doctor shows the Dalek his reverence for the beauty of the universe but it isn't lost on anyone that those same two hearts contain a consuming hatred and anger of an enemy. Again.. isn't this
sort of the concept of the soul of a soldier?

Ultimately a lesson we see here is that motive does matter. As Clara points out, he wants to be a good man and that is what matters.

A couple of themes here the new series will explore. Mr. Pink and the story of who he has killed. This concept of "heaven" that we have now seen twice.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 12:25 am

This crappy ass forum just decided to refresh my page and eat my post, so I'll be brief.

Robot of Sherwood

A swashbuckling adventure that was quite enjoyable as a standalone. (Sorry, but the inclusion of the
promised land destination seemed just thrown in to make it relevant to a series arc)

The episode went deep on the comedic moments and I appreciate the effort, but I am more than a bit
jaded regarding comedy. While I applaud the effort, I just don't laugh often during television.. ever. 

I like Capaldi again, buy also again... Clara is lacking. I hate saying it as I can't specify fault... but she just doesn't quite work for me. 

The stuff about the robot's destination being the promised land just seemed thrown in, but as a stand-alone this was pretty fun.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 pm

I tried watching a Capaldi episode a couple of years ago and it didn't take but I might give it another try here. It's like stepping into an ice cold pool and might take a while to warm up to him.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Listen...

Time is circular... the future comes back to the past and shapes itself.

"Fear makes companions of us all", and we have nothing to fear but fear itself.

A little boy from Gallifrey is afraid of the dark... what lies under the bed, but it's
all just a dream.

That's about all I can say. It is probably confusing to some degree, but all we really
fear are the possibilities.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Season 8 E1

Deep Breath

The new Doctor always takes a bit of getting used to, doesn't he?

While I have been fonder of the younger more current Doctors, this progression is logical within the context of the reboot. Each previous Doctor had gotten seemingly younger and younger as he sought to distance himself from the War Doctor, but this Doctor is more accepting of who he is and his age; a lifting of the veil as Vastra described it.

Another thing that was done quite well was the use of Clara as us, the viewers. Her journey of acceptance mirrored our own, and I think Moffat used her quite well in that regard. 

This is however almost a 3rd reboot. It so seems at this point that the 2nd Doctor series ended with 11, and the journey begins again in a very new way instead of a continuation. It will be interesting to see if Moffat can truly integrate 12 into a cohesive story with 9,10, and 11.... but I think I will be okay if he doesn't. New beginnings are okay sometimes.

It's going to be interesting as the new Doctor seems a bit of a throwback to earlier older Doctor's that are
really not what I am familiar with. Plus I would note that he seems to be a wee bit of a prick, coming off a bit colder now that he has lost his need to be accepted and loved that he had immediately post Time-War.

Okay. Deep Breath.

This is when I stepped into Time.

I had watched all of the previous episodes in the span of nearly two weeks.
I was so emotionally exhausted.
It was very what Jason calls "single effect," full immersion. I had no processing breaks, which just shatters a lot of psychological walls-- I was eating, sleeping, living, breathing this universe for a short period of time. It's how I prefer to do things, honestly, but Doctor Who was particularly brutal.

By the time I finished and finally had a chance to pause myself and consider, I was very ready for 12. Despite finally loving 11 in his final scene, I'd been wanting something else from my Doctor.

And then I had to wait for eight months for the new season.
And then instead of full immersion, I had one episode per week... for a season... then wait another eight months... then a weekly episode... very different experience.

Having to wait.
That was this point, for me. I waited for this episode, then had to wait a week after watching it.

I could forgive John (the TPTP John) for nearly anything, but I hope his soul burns in a fiery hell for the loss of Jane's "Mirror" threads.
If only you could have seen these threads, Warty. After each episode in this season, she posted this long, intense analysis, with loads of screencaps, about alchemical colors and symbolism and themes.
I think she was half-mad, really, but it was a genius kind of half-mad. It was like a more coherent yung.... someone thinking wayyyyy more about the show than the people actually making the show.

*sigh* Moving on. The episode.

Vastra and Co. really were a great choice for this episode. They don't show up enough for us to get bored of them, so Moffat can always pull them out to add a little extra punch.
Strax will always be the absolute best. Goddamn I love him. For the glory of the Sontaran Empire.
But we also had Vastra and her veil. Not wearing it to avoid being judged... she wears it AS a judgment. And she hits Clara hard with that judgment.
I think a lot of this is also Moffat's response to all of the 10/11 fangirls griping about how 12 was too old and not young and cute. There was a lot of that. Moffat had Vastra deliver a little verbal bitchslap to them. He's still everything he was, if you're going to be superficial about it, you don't even deserve the wonder of it.

The real gem of the entire episode, though, was Capaldi addressing himself.
We've seen this four times now, with each new regen, but Capaldi does it differently and I love every bit of it. He had me from this scene:

Quote :
DOCTOR: That's right. It's cold. It's cold, I knew it was a thing. I need um, I need clothes. I need clothes, that's what I need. And a big, long scarf. No, no, move on from that. Looked stupid. Er, have you seen this face before?
BARNEY: No.
DOCTOR: Are you sure?
BARNEY: Sir, I have never seen that face.
DOCTOR: It's funny, because I'm sure that I have. You know, I never know where the faces come from. They just pop up. Zap. Faces like this one. Come on, look at it, have a look, come on, look, look, look.
(The Doctor pulls Barney over to look in the mirror on the ground.)
DOCTOR: Look, it's covered in lines. But I didn't do the frowning. Who frowned me this face? Do you ever look in the mirror and think I've seen that face before?
BARNEY: Yes.
DOCTOR: Really? When?
BARNEY: Well, every time I look in the mirror.
DOCTOR: Oh, yes, yes, yes. Fair enough. Good point. My face is fresh on, though.
BARNEY: Er
(Barney moves away from the nutter in the nightshirt.)
DOCTOR: Why this one? Why did I choose this face? It's like I'm trying to tell myself something. Like I'm trying to make a point. But what is so important that I can't just tell myself what I'm thinking?
BARNEY: Er
DOCTOR: I'm not just being rhetorical here. You can join in.
BARNEY: I don't like it.
DOCTOR: What?
BARNEY: Your face.
DOCTOR: Well, I don't like it either. Well, it's all right up until the eyebrows. Then it just goes haywire. Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You could take bottle tops off with these.
BARNEY: They are mighty eyebrows indeed, sir.
DOCTOR: They're cross. They're crosser than the rest of my face. They're independently cross. They probably want to cede from the rest of my face and set up their own independent state of eyebrows. That's Scot. I am Scottish. I've gone Scottish?
BARNEY: Oh yes, you are. You are definitely Scots, sir. I, I 'ear it in your voice.
DOCTOR: Oh no, that's good. Oh.
(He practices the long rolling Scottish 'oh' sound.)
DOCTOR: It's good I'm Scottish. I'm Scottish. I am Scottish. I can complain about things, I can really complain about things.
THESE ARE ATTACK EYEBROWS.

N.B.: David Tennant, 10th Doctor, is actually Scottish. He had to suppress his natural accent and speak with an English accent for three seasons (except for that one werewolf episode when he was "pretending" to be Scottish... that's his actual voice). Imagine how pissed off he was that Capaldi got to be his natural Scottish 55

But anyway, he HAS seen that face before. If I recall correctly, you also recall where you've seen that face before. It is NOT going to be just ignored and swept under the rug that Capaldi played a bit part in a Tennant episode.
If I'm remembering right, Davies had always liked Capaldi for the role, and mentioned at one point that if Capaldi ever did become the Doctor, he had an idea of how to incorporate that "problem" into the actual story... when Moffat cast Capaldi, he asked Davies what that idea was, and ran with it.

But I still crack up at "They probably want to cede from the rest of my face and set up their own independent state of eyebrows."
Some Scottish damn eyebrows.

But moving on, in the restaurant:
Quote :

CLARA: Hang on. Egomaniac, needy, game-player?
DOCTOR: This could be a trap.
CLARA: That was me?
DOCTOR: Never mind that.
CLARA: Yes, I am minding that.
DOCTOR: Clara.
CLARA: You were talking about me?
DOCTOR: Clara, what is happening right now in this restaurant to you and me is more important than your egomania.
CLARA: Nothing is more important than my egomania.
DOCTOR: Right, you actually said that.

55 This really is an exploration of remembering my distaste for Clara.
While you were watching 11/Clara episodes, and I wasn't, and you were first discovering how she is, I was thinking "it's how dull she is. It's because she's dull."
But now I'm remembering that she's also super annoying.

I guess, given Martha, I could accept a "companions can be really cute OR really compelling, but not both" rule, BUT we've had Amy who was both, so.... no, Clara.

Quote :

(The Doctor manages to shake the sonic screwdriver onto the floor near Clara's feet.)
DOCTOR: Have you got it?
CLARA: I can only just about reach it.
DOCTOR: Oh, it's at times like this I miss Amy.
CLARA: Who?
DOCTOR: Nothing.

55 AND THE LEGS, TOO 55

Quote :

DOCTOR: I've got the horrible feeling I'm going to have to kill you. I thought you might appreciate a drink first. I know I would.

This is the Doctor on the other side (no pun intended).
He isn't the vengeful Doctor. He isn't the one who would shrink from killing out of guilt or regret. He hasn't forgotten what or who he is.
He is calm in what needs to be done.

Quote :

DOCTOR: Fifty first century, right? Time travelling spaceship crashed in the past. You're trying to get home the long way round.

HOLY SHIT THIS LINE. Wow, Moffat. WOW. Okay foreshadowing.

This episode does make me smile with the references to "Girl in the Fireplace."

Quote :

DOCTOR: What do you think of the view?
HALF-FACE MAN: I do not think of it.
DOCTOR: I don't think of it. I don't. Droids and apostrophes, I could write a book

That just made me laugh.

Quote :
DOCTOR: You are a broom. Question. You take a broom, you replace the handle, and then later you replace the brush, and you do that over and over again. Is it still the same broom? Answer? No, of course it isn't. But you can still sweep the floor. Which is not strictly relevant, skip that last part.

Remind me to take this over to the Philosophy thread.

Quote :

HALF-FACE MAN: Self-destruction is against my basic programme.
DOCTOR: And murder is against mine.
DOCTOR: You realise, of course, one of us is lying about our basic programming.
HALF-FACE MAN: Yes.
DOCTOR: And I think we both know who that is.
Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 Anigif_enhanced-4656-1414276530-1

Shades of 9, to me. A darker Doctor behind the grins.

Quote :

DOCTOR: I'm the Doctor. I've lived for over two thousand years, and not all of them were good. I've made many mistakes, and it's about time that I did something about that.

But... meet 12. :) He's really rather fucking amazing.

We have the phone call at the end, solving the mystery of why Clara had to hang up the Tardis phone, but really--
Clara is the embodiment of all of the 10/11 fangirls who thought Capaldi was too old to be the Doctor.
Thing is, those fangirls really fucking suck.
And so does Clara.

Quote :

MISSY: Hello. I'm Missy. You made it. I hope my boyfriend wasn't too mean to you.
HALF-FACE MAN: Boy friend?
MISSY: Now, did he push you out of that thing, or did you fall? Couldn't really tell. He can be very mean sometimes. Except to me, of course, because he loves me so much. I do like his new accent, though. Think I might keep it.
HALF-FACE MAN: Where am I?
MISSY: Where do you think you are? Look around you. You made it. The promised land. Paradise. Welcome to heaven.

MISSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 YESSSSS
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 12:15 am

I don't buy the compelling or cute rule at all.

Not only was their Amy, but there was also Rose. I thought she was both. 
Let's talk about Donna.. cute has many faces and they are not all purely physical.
Then I can talk about Rory in my complete heterosexuality confidence...
and finally... gramps, and you can't get cuter yet still compelling than that. 

Really at the very worst it's a 50/50 thing with Rose and Amy on one side and Martha and Clara
on the other. Even then, Martha leans towards more compelling than Clara who I just totally don't
get. She's cute I suppose, but Lord how she does nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 12:43 am

Warthawg1 wrote:
I don't buy the compelling or cute rule at all.

Not only was their Amy, but there was also Rose. I thought she was both. 
Let's talk about Donna.. cute has many faces and they are not all purely physical.
Then I can talk about Rory in my complete heterosexuality confidence...
and finally... gramps, and you can't get cuter yet still compelling than that. 

Really at the very worst it's a 50/50 thing with Rose and Amy on one side and Martha and Clara
on the other. Even then, Martha leans towards more compelling than Clara who I just totally don't
get. She's cute I suppose, but Lord how she does nothing for me.

Warty, you realize that when you finish this thing, I'm going to nag the shit out of you to do another thing.

The hilarious thing is, I'm prob going to try to nag you really hard to do something "worth it," something very intelligent and deep and layered. (Spoiler alert, it's prob Dark Tower, I am prob going to nag you to do Dark Tower).

And it's all silly because really I just love how your mind reacts to just about anything.
But I especially love how your mind reacted to Sandman, and to Doctor Who.

If you don't do Dark Tower and instead you do something else, I'll probably like that a lot, too.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 12:44 am

There's always Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. That is straight up just a fucking anime, completely off-genre, and you would fucking LOVE it, that would be wild.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 12:45 am

Anyway I just finished "Into the Dalek." Commentary forthcoming.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 am

Let's get the important lines out of the way:

Quote :

JOURNEY: You don't like soldiers much, do you?
DOCTOR: You don't need to be liked. You've got all the guns.

Quote :
CLARA: I'm his carer.
DOCTOR: Yeah, my carer. She cares so I don't have to.

Quote :
DOCTOR: Ross, swallow that.
ROSS: What is it?
DOCTOR: Trust me.
(Ross swallows the little whatever it was that the Doctor threw to him.)
ROSS: Now what?
(An antibody aims a painful bright beam at him.)
JOURNEY: Ross!
(Ross disintegrates.)
CLARA: Oh, my God. What's it doing?
(The antibody sucks up the remains and its blue eye turns red,)
DOCTOR: The hoovering.
(The antibody flies away. The Doctor raises his sonic screwdriver.)
DOCTOR: Gotcha.
CLARA: What did you give him?
DOCTOR: Oh, just a spare power cell, but I can track the radiation signature. I need to know where they dump the bodies.
JOURNEY: I thought you were saving him.
DOCTOR: He was dead already. I was saving us. Follow me and run.

Quote :
JOURNEY: Are you out of your mind?
DOCTOR: No, I'm inside a Dalek. I'm standing where I've never been. We cannot waste this chance. It won't come again.
JOURNEY: What chance? I have my orders.
DOCTOR: Soldiers take orders.
JOURNEY: And I'm a soldier.
DOCTOR: A Dalek is a better soldier than you will ever be.

Quote :
RUSTY: I see your mind, Doctor. I see your universe.

[Rusty's mind]

DOCTOR: And isn't the universe beautiful?
RUSTY [OC]: I see beauty.
DOCTOR: Yes, that's good. That is good. Hold on to that.
RUSTY [OC]: I see endless, divine perfection.
DOCTOR: Make it a part of you. Remember how you feel right now. Put it inside you and live by it.
RUSTY [OC]: I see into your soul, Doctor. I see beauty. I see divinity. I see hatred.
DOCTOR: Hatred?

[Lab 01]

RUSTY: I see your hatred of the Daleks and it is good.

[Rusty's mind]

(Behind the Doctor, the Crucible explodes.)
DOCTOR: No, no, no. You must see more than that, there must be more than that.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 2:28 am

"Am I a good man?"

We're trying to figure out who 12 is, and he's way ahead of us.

He's trying HARD to figure out who he is.

He's no longer defined by the Time War. Like you said... this is a reboot.

He's lived for over 2000 years. What does he show for it? Who is he?

He doesn't have a Rose. He doesn't have a Donna. He doesn't have River, or Amy.

He's stuck with fucking Clara who's like "I... don't know?"

So he's going to have to find those answers about himself, by himself.

A large part of it is "she cares so I don't have to."

I mean, when you think about it.
Why does the Doctor care?
An ancient being who is the last of his alien species, MUST he be empathetic?
12 is the coldest incarnation of the Doctor we have seen. The shit with Ross was brutal. That would never have flown with 10.
But then, 12 isn't carrying a fucking two-species-bucket-load of guilt around behind him.

And this episode also curiously mirrors "Dalek," S1E4, with the 9th Doctor. When Rose gave a Dalek empathy, making it a "good Dalek."
9 showed so much of the same invective, the same hatred. We even had the line, about the Doctor, "you would be a good Dalek."

I love the Daleks because they have the most awesome voices, but there is also the intriguing puzzle of how a thing can be built on hatred and intolerance. Anything Not-Dalek must go. No empathy. No pity. Just coldness.

They are the perfect Evil, without mercy or remorse. Just pure hatred.

Yet that is what it finds in the Doctor.

And the Doctor isn't okay with that.

And he takes it out on Soldiers.

By the way... INTRO TO DANNY FUCKIN PINK!!!

If S8 and S9 had Danny Pink as the Companion instead of Clara, how much better would they be. I love Danny Pink.

The Doctor isn't into Soldiers because they follow orders.
Like Daleks.
And they have all the guns, so they don't need to think.
At this point in his lives, he's more into thinking.
But I think part of that is trying to distance himself from when he was a soldier, with a gun.

Anyway. That will play out, this season.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 5:20 am

But, none of this is this:

Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 am

Nor will it ever be
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 pm

vonnegut wrote:
Warty, you realize that when you finish this thing, I'm going to nag the shit out of you to do another thing.

The hilarious thing is, I'm prob going to try to nag you really hard to do something "worth it," something very intelligent and deep and layered.  (Spoiler alert, it's prob Dark Tower, I am prob going to nag you to do Dark Tower).

I can never thank you enough for Sandman.

You already tried Dark Tower but because I had just come off Sandman I was concerned that it couldn't live up to that. That was the reason that I reached back into the archives of your suggestions and went with television.

Plus I have been known to be contrary. When people want me to turn right I turn left.... just because. I can't tell you what I might actually do if you push DT.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 11:43 am

Warthawg1 wrote:
vonnegut wrote:

The hilarious thing is, I'm prob going to try to nag you really hard to do something "worth it," something very intelligent and deep and layered.  (Spoiler alert, it's prob Dark Tower, I am prob going to nag you to do Dark Tower).

I can never thank you enough for Sandman.

You already tried Dark Tower but because I had just come off Sandman I was concerned that it couldn't live up to that. That was the reason that I reached back into the archives of your suggestions and went with television.

Plus I have been known to be contrary. When people want me to turn right I turn left.... just because. I can't tell you what I might actually do if you push DT.

Well if you want to save the universe, you MUST turn left.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 11:45 am

And Dark Tower doesn't even come close to Sandman, artistically (not talking about the visuals, but about the plot-weaving and the writing itself). Gaiman is an artist with stories and words, Stephen King is definitely not 55

But it's apples and oranges, to me. It's so completely different.

I might love Roland of Gilead a bit more than I love Morpheus. I can't help it.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 11:30 pm

vonnegut wrote:
If I were to make a top five list...

Nope, a top ten list...

Off the top of my head, it would probably be:

1) Heaven Sent
2) End of Time Part 1/2
3) Midnight
4) Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead
5) Vincent and the Doctor
6) Empty Child / Doctor Dances
7) Blink
8 ) Utopia / Sound of Drums / Last of the Time Lords
9) Turn Left
10) Husbands of River Song

But that might change upon rewatching.

I was looking back at this thread, and ran across my old list.

The only ones you haven't seen at this point, are number 1 and number 10.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 am

Time Heist...

This effin crappy bored ate my post again with it's mysterious and random refresh.

Retyped abbreviated - 

A fun bank caper with the usual ensemble bank caper cast of diverse and unique characters bringing their
own skill-set.

Nice time paradox as we travel back in time and then set up the thing that will cause us to travel back in time in the future.

If you were paying attention, Karobraxis made the call to save herself and it was The Doctor who (see what I did there) who turned it into a species rescue mission. 

Some things: 
This reuniting love story has become a thing. I wonder the really deep state of that affair with Moffat and this show. I have some thoughts but they are atill gestating.

This Doctor seems to be undermining Clara's relationship, and he seems to also be knocking at her self-confidence. He comments about her appearance often.. outfits.. accessories... face being too wide. It's interesting, this tearing down. 

Institutions: Banks... Libraries..

That's all for now. I had a few more things but had to pause and then got the auto-refresh upon my return.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 12:23 am

Control-A

Control-C

I always do that before posting, just in case.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptyFri Jul 13, 2018 12:40 am

I know.

I fall into bad habits here because I actually shouldn't lose my $h1+
because I have to pee or I want to find a quote, and this is the only
place where it happens. I can't go copy and past a quote while I have what Inhave already typed copied to my clipboard.

There is no damn consistency with it either.. it's refresh aspect is
seemingly random.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 7:45 am

Time Heist felt to me like a "Die Hard 3". An existing story which was rewritten for the character and settings.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 8:40 pm

The Caretaker

A couple of things I didn't care for where the beginning with Clara bouncing back and forth between TARDIS and regular life, and the Clara/Pink relationship. The two lives was just too silly, and I don't buy Clara being in love with Mr. Pink. That is just too much of a realtionship jump.

This episode was good though as a vehicle where Capaldi could shine and lighten up his version of The Doctor, and he and Clara seemed able to work some things out.

The young problem student was fun, and it would be great if they worked her in to a future episode or two. The usage of the 11 lookalike was nice as well. It was funny how The Doctor assumed that would have been Clara's boyfriend. I also thought how they worked in the underlying "heaven" story at the end. 

Anyway... after a brief hiatus, I should be back on the Who train now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch
Page 16 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next