HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

gimme your nines, it's catharsis time

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Zaphod

PostSubject: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:42 pm

yay Hey there, Zaphod here. Sorry this will be lengthy, as I just feel like being talkative for this for the moment. I always enjoy discussing dumb music shit with everybody (as prev site users well know). I like hearing what everyone is currently enjoying and why - I love finding new music, but more mostly as a punishment glutton for me, as my music is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy outdated compared to what everyone else typically likes. But to generate a new topic and just be all blah blah it's me Zaphod and my 2 cents....what are the top 9 groups you'd say you listen to for the past year or so? By this I mean you listen to consistently, not the off hand occasional ones. And to generate more conversation, what takes you back to that group/artist so much? I will begin, and feel free to weigh in with opinions - if you like great, if you hate, great too. I love the discourse on why. So me beginning (not in order, just going thru list of artists I listen to a lot consistently):

10000 Maniacs - depending on your age, may not know these guys and gal. BUT...for me, had a good emotional impact on my life at the time when things wereren't happy, but she was a nice coping assistant. Natalie M doesn't sing of happy things much, and her lyrics reached me for some dumb reason (I'm a white older southern guy, she's a younger NY hippie. We can't be more different.)

tom petty - ah tom. tom hits the emotional simple side of me. his songs are rarely complicated, it's either I'm happy about this or I'm sad or angry about this. All on top of a very catchy riff.

korn/tool - korn and tool are tossups for me. i love the technical musicality of both, they both write really complicated shit musically. and seems very ANGRY too much of the time, so if I'm in an angry mood, love going to these guys.

simon and garfunkel - going way back here. growing up, heard a lot of Beatles and S&G. S&G are way way deeper for me than the Beatles, there's a lot more emotionalism present even if the music is oftentimes simpler. Plus other than the Beach Boys, no one does harmonies better (IMO).

james taylor - JT. JT gets slammed a LOT as dumb 70s soft rock. That's fine and good for an opinion, but dude writes GREAT tunes. They are simple, but they touch your heart. When I am super super down I can find some help in JT's tunes - dude yes is famous, but dude yes was also an addict so gets what lows are. Plus a bonus, he has a really nice voice, you can't find someone who will say "his voice just grates on my nerves."

duran duran or the who - lol my embarrassing one (in terms of Duran Duran). Confession, regardless of this list, I fucking love 80s tunes. Toss any 80s tune at me, I don't care, I will like it 99% of the time. Duran Duran epitomized 80s music -techy, beat driven, stupid ass lyrics, but man I like em. Super cheesy (please do not watch the videos, even more horrible) but super catchy and a definitive sound of their own (ditto Depeche Mode. Hi gang, yeah I'm old.) I only put the Who in the same spot here, as I probably listen to the Who and DD the same amount in a given week. They can't be more different. The Who is a definitive sound of their own - you can say 'yeah, just rock' but if you typically hear the first line of a Who song, you KNOW it's a Who song - they made a signature "ga jang" sound with Townshend's guitar and Daltrey's screaming (never mind the killer Entwistle lines and Moon's insanity.) The creativity of their tunes is a whole thread on its own, as most of their tunes sounds so different from each other in the intracacies.

rush/yes - who can guess why i put these guys together?? YES you got it. Musical technical precision. I don't know any tighter bands playing together than Rush or Yes. Both groups are monsters at really intricate tunes, wtf time signature changes, and just amazing ability at each of their instruments. I give Yes the edge in production overall but that's probably needed with the larger group. Rush seemed to tackle more difficult song writing, and who in the world can beat Peart's weird ass lyrics on their early stuff.

floyd - ok well Gilmour. Probably in the top 3 guitarists for me - he's not flashy like Lifeson or Buckingham, but he plays with so much EMOTION. Add to that a great singer. Add to that group that writes great simple soulful tunes with great lyrics you can read a LOT into - they aren't complicated, but they pack a ton of depth and meaning into something simple. (As a side note, I hate the goddam tune Money - I wish they'd never done it. I can't think of a more non FLoyd sounding tune than Money.It feels to me like here boys, write me a hit in one day I'll give you $100k, and they did it. Hate that goddam riff.)

police/sting - only a personal fave here based on the timing on when i grew up. they aren't great musicians or singers - they're good, but not great. Copeland is a GREAT drummer, I will give that - he sounds really unique when he plays (and he seems to have such a 'i give a shit' attitude, I love that.) BUT the timing of when the Police and later Sting were really big, they stick with me. (Genesis close second, same time frames - probably even bigger hits, but hit me less emotionally. Melodically tho I think Genesis did some really great shit.)

van halen/GNR - lol, again diverse groups but both very huge when they were huge. VH is enjoy still just for Eddie's work and Alex's drums. Dumb ass simple tunes, fun guitar solos, not rocket science, but very enjoyable. GNR. I guess first Axl's identifiable voice, he at the time only sounded like that. I dug he could go from the lower registers to the screechy ones in singing. Slash's guitar work, amazing - he makes it sounds effortless which I'm pretty damn sure it is not. Again, really catchy hooks, nothing really fancy other than Slash contributing signature riffs. (Add time they came out - can't really recall anybody as impacty as them as the time, could be wrong.)

SO....after that GD long dissertation. Your thoughts? I have tons of runners up - as I said I just tried to grab the groups I know I listen to a lot each week. I'd enjoy hearing your faves, feelings, opinions. No wrong answers or opinions here - you may get arguments, but you can always wipe those off the bottom of your boot.

Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 pm

The last several years i mostly listen to newer music, though none of those Groups/Performers would make my Top9, or at least i don't think they will before i start even trying...

My favorite band/artist of all time is still Thinking Fellers Union Local #282. I had a pretty good thread dedicated to them at the old site, though it was a thread that hadn't seen a bump in many long years. Maybe i'll redux it here at some point. Out of all extinct bands/artists, i definitely listen to them most frequently.

Tribe Called Quest & The Pharcyde - between the two of them i still listen at least a couple times a month. Tribe is played more frequently, but really only because they recorded more material.

The Pixies - after many years of not listening, i'm back to listening to them again fairly regularly. Probably mostly because i'm old and that whole nostalgia thing. Also i hear them getting ripped pretty frequently these days, which always makes me want to hear the originals again.

OutKast & Akon - Just the stuff released by 2007 in both cases. Both have just been on my replay radar a LOT lately.

Frank Zappa - I'm not a massive Zappa fan by any stretch, but he did make a lot of music that i still enjoy, and i still listen to his music pretty frequently. This is definitely the oldy-goldy of this list.

Missy Elliot - Mrs. Mo and i have been watching lots of vintage Missy vids lately. So fun, and the music is phenomenal - Mrs. Mo is flat-out amazed that i remember so many of the lyrics, but i've been a big fan from the first time i heard Miss Demeanor.

Operation Ivy - I'll drift away from it again fairly soon, i'm sure, but lately i've been enjoying the nostalgia. I feel old lol
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Nice choices HRDM, I know some of those groups. Missy E takes me back to a good serious relationship and trying to figure out how to sing 'it's your figgle dig dang wallup' (no idea what the correct phrase is - i'ts the closest me and Suzie came up with the backwards part of Work It.)
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Heheheh it's not backwards
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Pink Floyd... My personal favorite band, by a mile.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Mo - what, no way.....she even mentions reversing it, she's not? eta: ok Mo you got me second guessing. the great god google says its backwards. now i have to decide which of you to believe.

John - who can't like Floyd? eta: I liked FLoyd long before I tried any medicinals.

Last edited by Zaphod on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:50 pm

People who've never uses drugs.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 pm

I still love lots of PF, just don't listen on purpose very often any more. I certainly never complain when it is playing, though there are parts of certain albums that might drive me to complain, but nobody ever plays that stuff anyway.

Zaph - there is some backwards masking in that song, but iirc that line isn't.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 pm

@Big John wrote:
People who've never uses drugs.
So nobody then.
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:05 pm

I karaoke comfortably numb and mother from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 pm

mo - oh no we had the right line, just completely wrong words.

john - you are brave, i'd never attempt to karaoke floyd except in my car
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 pm

I sing good.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:36 am

Jesus that was a long effing post my eyes just glazed over then out of that morass popped Rush and I groaned. I will almost listen to anything but Rush.in a country that has 35% Canadian content laws for the media one would suppose that lots of Canadian talent would get AirPlay but nooooo all that fucking got played over and overwas a hand full of groups that had success in the US of A so you can say I’ve been Rushed to death

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 am

Sorry bout the Rush rant but every board I’ve been on people rave about them

Blues is mostly what I listen to the most but like I said I like lots of genres of music I’ve posted a lot on here in over the years

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

@ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
Sorry bout the Rush rant but every board I’ve been on people rave about them

Blues is mostly what I listen to the most but like I said I like lots of genres of music I’ve posted a lot on here in over the years

Del, no worries on the Rush part. I used to listen to a Canadian comedy podcast and they dittoed your sentiment (tho MAN they LOVE the Lemonheads for some reason.) If it helps I only like them up through Big Money, after that the music went bleh for me.

Question, are there not enough canadian artists so that you don't hear the same groups a lot to reach that 35%? I know Shatner is Canadian, you could listen to his fun renditions of 60s tunes (oy).

Which blues artists/groups do you like? (I'm sure I could look it up since you mention previous posts, but eh...Zaph's a lazy SOB at times.) I only know a few of the more classic ones, tho I do have a Lee Morgan CD I love.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:37 pm

there is lots of canadian artists but radio stations can meet their quotas simply by playing RUSH,BTO,GUESS WHO,LOVERBOY,NEIL YOUNG to death
there is 3 stations in metro Vancouver that play "classic" rock 1 that plays newer rock and 2 that what I would call pop and one country station. young people dont listen to the radio so the idiots that program think that all us old dudes want to hear is classic rock

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Zaph, great review and retrospective in the OP.  I'll probably add my thoughts at some point.

PF, love Gilmour's vocals and those riffs and solos.. perfection.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:03 pm

@ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
there is lots of canadian artists but radio stations can meet their quotas simply by playing RUSH,BTO,GUESS WHO,LOVERBOY,NEIL YOUNG to death
there is 3 stations in  metro Vancouver that play "classic" rock 1 that plays newer rock and 2 that what I would call pop and one country station. young people dont listen to the radio so the idiots that program think that all us old dudes want to hear is classic rock

lol  I can totally sympathize. I grew up in Texas (again, apparently I just love talking about ME. I'll try to curb it some.)  Let me give the rundown and percentages I heard (mind you I'm old as you I think):

Stevie Ray Vaughan/Double Trouble - 30%
ZZTop - 30%
Eagles, Lynryd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker, 38 Special - split the rest of the percentage.

TO THIS DAY, I still love listening to SRV - I never burned out on him. The rest I pretty skip much their tunes if I hear em. (If I ever hear ZZTop's 'Legs' ever again, I will gouge out my eardrums. My GOD how much that song got played.)

I will say this, I doubt I would have heard of Eric Johnson if I didn't grow up there, and I'm so glad he got played. He's a great guitar player, I still listen to him to this day and highly recommend him.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:13 pm

lots of great Texas blues men ...T Bone Walker Albert Collins Johnny Winter
i'll have to check out Eric Johnson

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Blues artists I listen to frequently

Colin James ,David Wilcox, David Gogo, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray

Admin

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:45 pm

hmm 9 groups, this is tough for me. It's rare I find a group or singer that I enjoy most of their work.

I love all music and am constantly looking for new stuff to listen to. If I had to be more specific I would say I mostly listen to Top 40 and music from the 1930s-50s time frame and songs you usually only find on youtube.

Lana Del Rey - My number 1. If my soul could sing, it would be her words. Her music is very melancholy and can be dark at times, but she is a musical goddess in my eyes.

Radnor & Lee - This is a new band comprised of Josh Radnor ( yes that's right Ted of How I Met Your Mother can sing!) and Ben Lee. They are more of an acoustic/folk sound. Very uplifting and positive music.

Beyond that it's mostly just playlists of specific songs based on the mood or activity. Me and my boyfriend have alot of songs and playlists for when we are doing certain things or for certain topics of conversation.

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Desi - have you checked out Postmodern Jukebox? I love their stuff. It's modern tunes but in 30s-50s jazzy/swing style. example:

Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Yes! I have seen there stuff, so awesome

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Brian Adams is Canadian.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 pm

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:
Brian Adams is Canadian.

he used to wash dishes at this North Vancouver restaurant

[img][/img]

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Brian who???? (kidding) OMG I think my back tattoo might be somewhere on one of those totem poles
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:27 pm

I discovered a new song/artist I like this morning while driving about

Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:40 pm

kinda folkie

Admin

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:46 pm

He's been around for a bit now, just starting to really get noticed. Riptide was his first radio hit

I like his sound, lots of acoustic

Admin

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Ted I love you

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:35 pm

@ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
 kinda folkie

folkie is a tough definition now, as one can call almost anything acoustic 'folkie'. I LOVE me some James Taylor - and while he's always acoustic, I would not consider him folk at all. Or that Hawaiian dude....Jack Johnson. Me personally I guess I lump folkie into 60s arguing for the earth or against the evil government type tunes. So I'd have to lump CSNY in there, tho I love them dearly. How would you define folkie Del?
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Folk to me is more of an acoustic music with very spiritually driven lyrics. I think Radnor & Lee could very easily be defined as folk, especially because of the lyrics.

Vance Joy and that type of acoustic are more soulful to me, lots of emphasis on hitting certain notes and keys to create the feel of the song.

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:39 pm

folkie in the single acoustic guitar player on a stool in some smokie coffee shop style

maybe a bad choice of description on my part I hate to pigeon hole music

its like saying the Rolling Stones song The Girl With Faraway Eyes is Country

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:50 pm

i'm still working on my top 9 btw thinking of doing one for every decade I've been listening to music

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Del - love that. do it dude. I am a freak for lists on what people like.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm

ok here goes the 60's 64 to 69 more or less
9 Favs in no particular order

Them
The Animals
The Kinks
The Who
The Byrds
The Rolling Stones (Brian Jones era)
The Hollies
The Yardbirds
Deep Purple
obliviously some of these carried over into the 70's

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 pm

early 70's

King Crimson
Yes
Moody Blues
David Bowie
Pink Floyd
Allman Brothers
BTO
Bad Company
Free

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Had another Pink Floyd discussion today. Talked about Live At Pompei. Man that was the shit right there.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:50 pm

John - any PF faves?

Del - any faves from those groups you listed? quality list btw imo

trying to guess your faves as a dumb little game:

animals- rising sun
kinks - come dancing
who - squeezebox
byrds - 8 miles high
stones- no clue, not sure what era that is
hollies - bus stop. i love bus stop.
yardbirds - still i'm sad
purple - gee their only hit
crimson - i do not know enough to say
yes - roundabout
moody blues - tuesday afternoon
bowie - suffragette city
floyd- oh god, could be many. echoes? i love echoes
allman brothers - midnight rider
BTO - TCB
bad company - ditto
free - ARN

was i even close??????
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Whipping Post -Allman Bros
21 Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun -Pink Floyd
All Right Now - Free....Paul Rodgers best rock vocalist IMHO plus he is a Canadian citizen now and lives in White Rock B.C.

to name a few

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:09 pm

@Zaphod wrote:
John - any PF faves?

Del - any faves from those groups you listed? quality list btw imo

trying to guess your faves as a dumb little game:

animals- rising sun
kinks - come dancing
who - squeezebox
byrds - 8 miles high
stones- no clue, not sure what era that is
hollies - bus stop. i love bus stop.
yardbirds - still i'm sad
purple - gee their only hit
crimson - i do not know enough to say
yes - roundabout
moody blues - tuesday afternoon
bowie - suffragette city
floyd- oh god, could be many. echoes? i love echoes
allman brothers - midnight rider
BTO - TCB
bad company - ditto
free - ARN

was i even close??????

is 1 close?

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:13 pm

fav BTO - Not Fragile i like the songs that Fred Turner is lead vocals

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm

any thing by DP but Smoke On The Water it gets played to death

but my very fav DP song is ...well there is 2 both from Machine Head

HIGHWAY STAR best freaking cruising tune ever and LAZY

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:23 pm

its a hot summer night you've got the windows rolled down in your 57 Bel Air cruising down KINGSWAY with this blasting out the rear deck Pioneer speakers

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:26 pm

omg pioneer speakers...one of my cars had pioneers. is pioneer still around even? they were the shit when i was a teen.

lol my da bomb home stereo setup

yamaha receiver
teac tape deck
can't remember the brand of the turntable
Bose speakers

prior to the yamaha, we had a kenwood receiver.

Last edited by Zaphod on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I forgot to mention the 8Track player

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:02 pm

lol love the clunk of an 8 track player
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 pm

love that Mo, thanks. i wonder what angry Jack looks like? he's so mellow
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm

PostSubject: Re: gimme your nines, it's catharsis time   

Back to top Go down

gimme your nines, it's catharsis time
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: Music-
Jump to: