AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

This is Us

Go down 
AuthorMessage
brdmom

PostSubject: This is Us   Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 am

I love this show. Anyone else watching? I finally got caught up on last week which was a beautifully edited show. The sequence with Goodnight Moon was brilliant and would speak to any parent.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 am

I'm not watching it yet, but with all the praise it's been getting, I'll marathon it one of these evenings. Brdmom, if you had to compare it to another older show, what would you compare it to?
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I love this show. It's deeply emotional but somehow the characters mostly stay true and the stories themselves are mostly solid.

I really liked the episode brdmom referenced. It was a direction the show wanted to follow more than felt obligated to follow. The ending bugged me a little because there was another solution but from a dramatic pov I understood it.

What show is it like? Any family drama I guess but this one pulls out all the stops. I'm watching it on Hulu.
Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 pm

@Zaphod wrote:
I'm not watching it yet, but with all the praise it's been getting, I'll marathon it one of these evenings. Brdmom, if you had to compare it to another older show, what would you compare it to?

Z - try to watch the pilot, in particular, knowing as little about the show as possible. It was so powerful when I saw it the first time.

I'm not sure what it's like - it's a family show like Family or Parenthood (which I never watched...), but it incorporates flashbacks and surprises in a way that is a little reminiscent of LOST (but not in the annoying ways :goof: ) - there are some big questions, but they get answered eventually.

It has something for everybody who has ever been part of a family - and it will make you cry or at least feel moved.

It's just good. It's one of the few shows I watch that has the "No talking during the show" rule. LOST was like that too.
Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 pm

The one question I have (this is a little tiny bit spoilerish) is why in Randall and Beth's apparently big house is there no guest room?? Surely that house has at least four bedrooms, and I'd think it might even have five. Just something I've wondered about since the first season.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Also a little tiny bit spoilerish, but don't Randall and Beth have that apartment building? There may be no room in that inn, but you'd think they'd mention it. My guess is that after that night Randall and Beth were going to try to work something out somehow anyway. But...
Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 pm

There might be room at the apartment building, but there are also people living there! I don't know if Shauna can turn things around for herself.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:25 am

I think Shauna, from her pov, had a moment of clarity. Of course Deja smiling more with the girls and with Randall and Beth might have solidified an already evolving decision. Dramatically, it all makes sense. But the show conveniently skips over resources. I think Randall and Beth would have offered or arranged for something, but maybe Shauna preempted all that.
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:19 am

@davidalan wrote:
I love this show. It's deeply emotional but somehow the characters mostly stay true and the stories themselves are mostly solid.

I really liked the episode brdmom referenced. It was a direction the show wanted to follow more than felt obligated to follow. The ending bugged me a little because there was another solution but from a dramatic pov I understood it.

What show is it like? Any family drama I guess but this one pulls out all the stops. I'm watching it on Hulu.

I mostly agree with this. Dunno about the 'pulling all the stops', tho. I'd say that this show is kinda on level with Parenthood in it's better days, but occasionally plays it safe/pulls punches too. I've heard some say that it's the 'best family show ever' (er whatever). Far fewer even said that about Parenthood. For me they both pale in comparison to the inimitable Once & Again. While season two seems to be finishing strong, I think that season one was better overall.

tv
Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am

@davidalan wrote:
I think Shauna, from her pov, had a moment of clarity. Of course Deja smiling more with the girls and with Randall and Beth might have solidified an already evolving decision. Dramatically, it all makes sense. But the show conveniently skips over resources. I think Randall and Beth would have offered or arranged for something, but maybe Shauna preempted all that.

Remember how Randall offered Deja an account with a monthly payment and she said her mom would never accept that? I think Shauna, like many people, has an aversion to accepting "charity". Also, she's also made it clear that she puts her boyfriend above her daughter. She used money to pay the rent to bail out that deadbeat. Who leaves their daughter alone with all those strange men? That scene made me really worried, but I'm glad it wasokay.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 pm

I agree brdmom. I forgot that Shauna felt this impulse to bail out her loser boyfriend. When there's a kid, the kid comes first. No exceptions. At least in my I've never been a father experience!
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 pm

I wanna try this show, but I so do not need something so heavy it's going to eff my emotions more than they already are (I am in a stupid weird place now, long story, nobody needs to hear it, i will figure it out.) I think it sounds great and look forward to watching it, but need to stick to stupid lighter watching stuff.
Back to top Go down
crisanja

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 pm

This is one of my favorite shows right now. The acting is great, the stories are great, the editing and directing are very well done.

Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Just watched the season finale. A multi kleenex box episode, for sure! It was so good. And new complexities are introduced.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:04 pm

I didn't realize it was the finale. It was a good place to end. Everyone at various stages of life and resolution.
Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:08 pm

davidalan - did you have any favorite parts? I cried at the scene with Kate and her mom while she's getting dressed.
I'm not sure "Worst Case Scenario" would make me feel better, but maybe I should try it with my husband because he'd be really good at it. I loved when Randall said to Kevin something like "You are too good at this."
Dan Lauria looks really old. I loved Wonder Years when it was in its first few seasons.
I know some people will be mad at Deja, but I am so filled with sympathy for her. She must be devastated that her mother gave her up after all Deja had done for her. She must feel so betrayed and rejected. No wonder she is so angry. I think she also must have feelings of inadequacy - What did I do? I must have done something wrong. Okay, I'll do something really bad to prove how awful I am since even my own mother doesn't want me.
Somebody, please, get her a really good therapist who can support her.

And that's all I have off the top of my head. smile
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 pm

hmmmm

I did enjoy that moment when Kate and Rebecca spoke. I think Kate through her episodic journey had major revelations.

The Worst Case Scenario didn't bother me as much as it made me chuckle at all as a neurotic defense mechanism.

I think Deja was who I meant by various stages of life and resolution. I mean look at how long it took for Kate and Kevin and Randall and even Rebecca to reach some sort of place where clarity can even happen. The destruction of Randall's car was of course symbolic but in so many ways. Against Randall himself and his success. And a black man who was raised by a white family. Against a successful black family. Against a successful black family who have the resources to "lower" themselves to help others, but even more than that, that family's success allowed the opportunity for Deja's mother to leave Deja at their house. Of course, in terms of Deja's mother, they both ended up living in a car because of Shauna's own decisions and there was nothing that Deja could really do about that. Also the gun that started all the problems was stashed in the car. Also it was interesting that the bat was the weapon of choice because that in a different circumstance could have been young Kevin's own weapon of choice. As for Randall's and Rebecca's response, goodness I just don't know what that'll be. There's a difference between yelling and bashing a family symbol with a baseball bat. I now recall the genesis of the bat: that Deja favored Randall. That freaked Deja out. Her identity totally disappears. Deja's journey will be interesting.

One part of the show I liked very much was the bouncing through time. We see some elements in the future. Toby's crisis and Kate's helping him and then the implication that Toby himself for his own reasons is susceptible to depression.

I also liked Kate's dreamy visions which I thought at first was just a directorial presentation of an alternative reality: if Jack had lived. It was sweet and mysterious.

I also liked Beth's cousin (?). I liked that she walked right up to Kevin and basically made a move.
Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:35 am

Woohoo!!!

Season three premieres tomorrow!! Set your DVR!! Get your kleenex ready.
Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 pm

The Pearsons are back!!! I love them all. I loved this episode.
However, a semi-nitpicking detail but it relates to such an important plot point that I'm disappointed with the writers. Having gone down the IVF road, I am quite sure Toby's sperm count would not have mattered because they would have done ICSI with them (I think it's pretty much standard with all IVf now) which means they don't wait around for a sperm to meet up with the egg - they grab one and inject it right into the egg, so as long as there are a few sperm, fertilization can happen.
However, it was still a great episode. Yeah for Deja.
Back to top Go down
brdmom

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 am

Another thought about last night - I was surprised when it turned out that Beth was concerned about her cousin and Kevin being together not because Kevin would hurt her cousin but because she didn't want Kevin to get hurt! I love Beth.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:12 pm

I love Beth too. That was an unexpected twist.

I know zero about IVF. Could Toby's sperm count be so low that a good one is hard to find?

I wonder who Randall and adult Tess have been trying to visit over the past two episodes. Looks good for it being Kate but I'm not so sure about that. Maybe it's Rebecca with Alzheimers. Or anyone. Too many choices.

I liked the conversation between Kevin and the two girls on the stairs.

I liked that Deja actually did become like Randall and confront her father but in a different way.

Weirdly, I also liked the Franco Harris motif. In the beginning, I wondered what that was about. And then, well...

So Rebecca and Jack didn't automatically connect fully right away. Makes sense. But it was my least favorite part of the episode. Maybe because we see Randall and Tess jump in years that the episode felt almost too stretched out. This will all lead to Jack winning Rebecca over somehow. Maybe her current beau will be a douchebag.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:23 pm

I'll be back as soon as I can throw away these wet Kleenex. cry
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am

In the beginning of the episode, I thought, with the way they set it up, that the new character was gonna be Deja's dad. Then it ended up being  frakkin' Franco Harris! I was like WTF?! dunno  Then they ended up tying that pretty seamlessly into the shows' narrative. Well done. yay  As a Steeler fan, who was actually round for the Steel Curtain era, I was especially giddy at the inclusion. Overall a pretty solid premiere. Still intrigued at who the frak they're all going to visit at the end. However, I'm assuming that that particular reveal won't happen till at least the S3 finale, if not later.... Which will (of course)  probably send the series mythos into total disarray.  ?
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Wow - kinda surprised there's not more posting on this show. Very strong episode. Finally get to see Jack's brother Nick. Plus get a bunch of Jack's family history and his time in Nam.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is Us   

Back to top Go down

This is Us
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-