AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TBC

PostSubject: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Let's see here. First the decor. Life-sized Pele poster, check. Cristiano Ronaldo dartboard, check. Autographed game-worn Lionel Messi kit, I wish.

Next the really important stuff. The data. Charts showing standing in MLS, Liga MX all the major top leagues in Europe and South America, Regional club competitions like the UEFA Champions League, CONCACAF Champions League, Europa League, International competitions, monitors with news feeds from Sky Sports, ESPN FC. Al Jazeera Sports, regarding scores, injury reports, deals and dealing rumors.... Yup. All set.

Things are revving up for the World Cup in Russia, the field is in place, minus Italy, The Netherlands, and *gasp* the US. But there's still a lot going on at club level. For starts, MLS sides are making history in the CONCACAF Champions League. Last night two teams eliminated LIGA MX sides in quarterfinals play. Current MLS champions Toronto FC, who qualified as Canada Cup Champions in 2016 eliminated UANL Tigres (That's Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon...the professional team originated from a college squad, it's complicated, don't ask) 4 - 4 on aggregate, 3 - 2 on away goals. Both sides won their home legs, the first in Toronto finished 2-1, the second, in Monterrey, was 3-1 in stoppage time, a line which would have seen Tigres through to the semis, but Sebastian Giiovinco placed a free kick from 25 yards out over thw defensive wall and past the keeper to send the Red-and-Grey through to the next round and a probable meeting with Mexico City powerhouse Club America. In the other game last night, in Harrison, New Jersey, Red Bull New York put the icing on their demolition of Club Tijuana, 4-1, to achieve a 6-1 aggregate.

Tonight my homeboys Seattle Sounders have the chance to make it a threesome, facing CD Guadalajara at Estadio Akron. SSFC are current league runners-up and qualified as League Champions in 2016. Sounders won the first leg 1 - 0 at Century Link as Chivas struggled to carve out attacking chances.

Over in Europe it was a bad gameday for England in UEFA Champions League as Manchester United were eliminated by Sevilla and Chelsea were flat humiliated by Barcelona. Also, Bayern Munich made short work of Turkish side Besiktas.

Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 am

TBC, our family friend follows Millwall and West Ham via live reporting from The Guardian on Saturdays, and he told us about the big fight between West Ham and Burnley this past Saturday, involving the fans invading the pitch. Various players fought with various fans, and it got so bad that the West Ham owners were evacuated from their box.

I'm not certain we got the full story on this, because our friend presented it as a victory for the working man over the inbred aristocracy, but I see from The Guardian that one W Ham owner was struck on his glasses by a coin. [The important part was that Burnley won, 3-0, which got everything going.]

As a fan of basebrawls, I feel that MLB has a lot of work to do on how to present a truly good fight, and (obv) on how to support the working man over the aristocracy.
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:25 am

I'm still bummed the United left Manchester.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:34 pm

Au revoir, Deutschland, land of my vaters. Thinking of rooting for Mexico, although they'll need to pull it together.
Back to top Go down
Tawaret

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:43 am

That totally blew my mind but there have been some pretty big surprises this Cup. I'm going for Uruguay.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:10 pm

We have friends who moved here from Argentina, and we watched their dog on the weekend of their son's wedding, which was also the weekend of the Iceland-Argentina draw. It turns out that Argentines are not so wrapped up in the romance of Iceland essentially upsetting Argentina, which I realized halfway through burbling to her about it. :p And she said all the visiting Argentines wanted to know what they were thinking by scheduling a wedding during the Mondiale. Very Happy

(That may be a mishear on my part, but I think she just used the single word. It was cool to hear and feel sort of connected with everybody everywhere.)
Back to top Go down
Tawaret

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:25 pm

lol4 What WERE they thinking? This is Messi's last WC!

Most Spanish speakers simply refer to it as the Mundial. It's technically Copa Mundial. To refer to it as the Copa would just be confusing. They've got the Copa America too.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:59 pm

I got the impression that the bride, who is not from Argentina, set the date. And that the groom's side spent the reception discussing the scheduling. Thankfully, the reception was the night *before* the match, because if the party had come afterward, half the reception would have been trying to drown theirselves in the punch bowl.

I love watching the crowds during the matches. I've been to two baseball postseason games and the crowd electricity is so fun, but you can see that it's a whole other universe of intensity at the World Cup.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Uruguay scores again!

Dear me, T. There are some very handsome players for Uruguay.

ETA: Also, damn you, T. I'm dying a thousand deaths watching this. I would have been somewhat neutral but now I'm all sworn to defend Uruguay.

scared <3 <3
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:52 pm

I do not like the VW ad that runs around the stadium perimeter. Everytime that car goes by it looks to me like there's a car on the field!
Back to top Go down
Tawaret

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:00 am

@Maturin wrote:
Uruguay scores again!

Dear me, T. There are some very handsome players for Uruguay.

ETA: Also, damn you, T. I'm dying a thousand deaths watching this. I would have been somewhat neutral but now I'm all sworn to defend Uruguay.

scared  <3 <3
They fought the good fight but France is one helluva team. I'm ok w/ them being taken out by such a worthy adversary.
@Zaphod wrote:
I do not like the VW ad that runs around the stadium perimeter. Everytime that car goes by it looks to me like there's a car on the field!
lol2 It caught me by surprise too.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 pm

That's what you get for shooting Richard III in the back.

Vive la France.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:49 pm

lol. happy that i looked up where Croatia is - we Americans are sadly so not taught about geography and half the time what is going on on the rest of the planet. I am trying to rectify that personally by looking stuff up.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:00 pm

@Zaphod wrote:
lol. happy that i looked up where Croatia is - we Americans are sadly so not taught about geography and half the time what is going on on the rest of the planet. I am trying to rectify that personally by looking stuff up.

dont we well know that up here in the GWN
I was gassing up in Redding Calif. and the pump jockey
looked at my license plate and asked what state was British Columbia

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 pm

@ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
@Zaphod wrote:

dont we well know that up here in the GWN
I was gassing up in Redding Calif. and the pump jockey
looked at my license plate and asked what state was British Columbia

OMG apologize on behalf of the american educational system. it realllllly needs to be revamped in terms of world view of things.

i myself look stuff up if i don't know where a country is or if i see an unfamiliar reference. watching the NHK channel on my PBS channel has been really enlightening to things happening beyond the local/national news sites. re the Thai kids vs 200 died in Japan due to flooding. OK I get kids trapped is great drama and yes should be rescued, but barely a blip is 200 Japanese dying due to flooding as that is not nearly as dramatic. it's this kind of attention by news that totally skews what is important vs what is just blahblah. is your message adults dying is blah vs kids dying is way more important? because that is how it is reading.

eta: you found a gas station that actually has pump jockeys??? full service stations disappeared wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back when for me, what late 70s.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 pm

was back in 1975

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:26 pm

I learned geography in school but major geopolitical boundaries have changed significantly since then.

However, i've since spent considerable time poring over more recent maps (and more ancient ones, too) in an effort to gain a greater understanding of how physical geography influences political geography.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Woot.

That was a fun final to watch. Loved that fans of Croatia were celebrating after the match (street parties in Croatia and elsewhere). Also loved that the French and Croatian leaders stood in the rain and each hugged all the players.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Well, second place in the World Cup is still pretty big stuff. Definitely a bigger deal than winning a Super Bowl. I mean, there's a reason there's a third-place game. Just making the round of 16 is pretty elite-level stuff. A lot of countries (*cough*cough*cough*) don't even make it TO the Cup on any given four-year period.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:46 pm

proud of all the semifinals and later teams, yay. lots of exciting parts to watch.
Back to top Go down
Tawaret

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   Yesterday at 5:19 pm

@Maturin wrote:
That's what you get for shooting Richard III in the back.

Vive la France.
lol4
@Zaphod wrote:
Croatia was almost certainly still part of Yugoslavia when you learned geography. It was until the early 90's. In the US news of the time, the war was usually referred to as the the Yugoslav Wars or the Serbia/Bosnia-Herzegovina Conflict. They didn't mention the names of the other four countries involved. Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro & Macedonia weren't mentioned all that often. I can't remember why now but that might explain why it wasn't immediately recognizable to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.   

Back to top Go down

Football (or call it soccer if you must) redux.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: General Sports Talk (Olympics, Golf, Soccer, Etc.)-
Jump to: