AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inStar Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyStar Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyStar Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch Empty 
gin (20877)
Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyStar Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyStar Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch Empty
PostSubject: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Webisode 1: Pilgrim of Eternity

We start off in the holochamber (or whatever its called)? LOL i like it already, that's just cheeky.

Fun "real" opening scene, very classic-type scenario, brings me right back. Extraordinarily well done.

Does Mr. Sulu have pointy ears?

Is that Zeus or Chronos or something?

Chris Doohan plays Scotty. Wasn't the original Scotty played by a guy named Doohan? If so, are they related?

Oh, Apollo. I kinda remember him. Pretty cameo. Nice that the cameo has a cameo.

A redhead named Henna. Oh, i like these writers so far.

Did they blow up Mount Olympus?

Oh, her name is McKenna? Close enough lol.

The EVA was pretty clunky. How exactly were they standing on the hull without artificial gravity?

"Of all of us, none loved you humans more than I." - I guess he's not counting Prometheus, maybe because Prometheus was a titan.

Um, the Greek God of music could have a better voice, i'd think. Lol

Ah, rec room 6, Apollo getting stronger and younger as he basks in the adoration of mortals.

Apollo has faith in Bones. Oh, so much fun the writers had in this episode.

Classic wrap-up ending with Kirk Spock and Bones collectively musing on the bridge. The actors do a fine job of emulating the originals.

Marina Sirtis as voice of the computer... iirc that was the original, or at least i think i remember that name being in the credits of TOS.

Overall, a lot of fun and very well done. I think it blurs the line between fan fiction and genuine canon expansion. I'll be watching more.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm going to watch Webisode 2 now.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 4:13 pm

His Royal Dorkness wrote:

Did you see the epilogue on the planet?  Most people think that the normal bridge scene is the ending , but there's more.

Quote :

Does Mr. Sulu have pointy ears?

No, that's Mr. Spock with the ears.  Sulu was originally played by George Takei. Grant Imahara from Mythbusters plays Sulu in the Webisodes.

Quote :

Chris Doohan plays Scotty. Wasn't the original Scotty played by a guy named Doohan? If so, are they related?

Yes sir, that's the original Scotty's son playing his dad's role.

Quote :

Oh, her name is McKenna? Close enough lol.

Dr. Elise McKenna. Her name was chosen because of the exec producer's love of  Jane Seymour's role in "Somewhere in Time"

Quote :

The EVA was pretty clunky. How exactly were they standing on the hull without artificial gravity?

I believe they had Magnetic boots on, lol. 

Quote :

Um, the Greek God of music could have a better voice, i'd think. Lol

Yeah, but "A" for effort.  I also enjoyed Uhura's little tune as well.  Very Happy
Quote :

Marina Sirtis as voice of the computer... iirc that was the original, or at least i think i remember that name being in the credits of TOS.

She played Counselor Troy in TNG.  But her on-screen mom in TNG, played by Majel Barrett (Nurse Chapel in TOS)  voiced the computer in the original series. 
Nice little connection there.    You'll hear another familiar Computer Voice in ep 3 for TNG fans.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Did you notice the other "Apollo" cameo's?

Apollo Cameos:
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 5:15 pm

So, already ten minutes into the second Webisode: "Lolani".

Great premise for an episode!

I noticed in the first episode but forgot to post, that i'm impressed by the music. Definitely keeps all the flavor of TOS, but is just a little bit more layered. Really very impressive. I notice in the credits that they acknowledge using music from TOS.

That's an awful lot of green greasepaint. I wonder how long she had to spend in makeup.

17:35: Apparently Kirk hasn't lost his touch entirely. Making out with a murderer!

Matthew Kenway has a lot of lines for a redshirt.

"It won't hurt you in any way," McHenna tells Lolani - except maybe legally, i think

She killed two in self-defense, it seemed like, but the third wasn't.

Lou F. much easier to recognize when i see him walking and hear his voice. Of course, i already know it's him, so that helps too.

Kenway left his post before Kirk granted his request to do so.

That was a fine episode. I'm still impressed.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 5:18 pm

MrBill60 wrote:
Did you notice the other "Apollo" cameo's?

Apollo Cameos:
Well, of course i noticed the launch.

I didn't recognize the guy from BSG, but then i never watched that. I jumped straight into Caprica and then it was canceled. gross
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 5:23 pm

MrBill60 wrote:

Did you see the epilogue on the planet?  Most people think that the normal bridge scene is the ending , but there's more.
Yes i did. Nice to have confirmation that the senior officers were correct.

Quote :
No, that's Mr. Spock with the ears.  Sulu was originally played by George Takei. Grant Imahara from Mythbusters plays Sulu in the Webisodes.
There are certain frames in that episode where Sulu appears to have slightly pointy ears. Not as pointy as Spock's, but it's not real anyway, just a funny camera angle or something.

Quote :
I also enjoyed Uhura's little tune as well.  Very Happy
Me too.  smilingnerd

Quote :
She played Counselor Troy in TNG.  But her on-screen mom in TNG, played by Majel Barrett (Nurse Chapel in TOS)  voiced the computer in the original series. 
Nice little connection there.    You'll hear another familiar Computer Voice in ep 3 for TNG fans.
Ah, very nice! Thanks for the enlightenment!
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 5:36 pm

The music...One of my favorite parts.  Vic Mignogna (the exec producer and actor playing Kirk) is a musician and composed most of the new music to enhance the original themes in the early episodes. He had to make them fit in with the new scenes, so he padded, or added additional music.  Later on, in  4, maybe 5 episodes,  they have a composer and orchestra for the new scores.  There are some BTS videos on the website about the music when you get to those episodes.

Realize that these episodes were done at around $40k per episode, a fraction of the cost of making an original series episode.  Vic actually funded the first episode (Pilgrim) himself as a "Proof of Concept" before he went the crowd-funding route.  I believe he delivered on his promise to the donors and more.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 5:53 pm

That's flat-out amazing, that this show was done on that budget. I thought i noticed some writing credits for Vic as well, and as great as the casting and acting and music and sets and costumes and makeup have been, the writing has impressed me the most.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 6:06 pm

That dinner scene in Lolani is probably one of my favorites right up there with the Khan dinner scene in the original "Space Seed".
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 9:19 pm

That's an awful lot of green greasepaint. I wonder how long she had to spend in makeup.
It's actually some kind of acrylic rubbery type of makeup that breathes.

Quote :

17:35: Apparently Kirk hasn't lost his touch entirely. Making out with a murderer!

It's the Orion pheromones or feramones or whatever!    Very Happy

Quote :

Matthew Kenway has a lot of lines for a redshirt.

He just has that fresh-faced 60's look. He'd fit in perfectly in an original episode.

Quote :

She killed two in self-defense, it seemed like, but the third wasn't.

Guess she doesn't like being a slave.

Quote :

Lou F. much easier to recognize when i see him walking and hear his voice. Of course, i already know it's him, so that helps too.
Man, I'm really sorry I spoiled if for you. I wish I could recapture that moment when he appears in the transporter.  I had to triple-take.

Quote :

That was a fine episode. I'm still impressed.

I like them all for different reasons, but this, I think , is my favorite episode.  "Fairest of them All", "What Ships are For" and the 2-part finale come pretty darn close.  #4 is up there too -  damn it's hard to pick a fave.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Episode 3: The Fairest of Them All

Spock with a vandyke? Iirc that means the mirror dimension or parallel universe or other plane or whatever they called it. Man it's been 30 years since i watched TOS. I don't think i could stomach a re-watch but maybe a nice clip show would have helped me to remember stuff like this. I think i finally remembered the name of the... holodeck?

Then Spock mentions getting "his" captain back. So i think it is the parallel dimension. Then there's the pseudo-science babble about an ion storm, but the essence is that yes, this is VanDykeSpockReality.

Wow, crazy new version of the opening, does this mean that a significant portion of this episode transpires in the mirror plane?

The computer voice is Worf.

19:27: I notice money change hands. Apparently the ensigns had a bet going. I lol'd.

I'm sure this is a lot of fun for the writers and actors, but honestly at about halfway through this episode i started having a difficult time staying interested. Edit: I know it's a lot of fun for a lot of the fans too, i know the mirror or alternate or whatever we call it was a big deal for a lot of fans. I remember enjoying the episode in TOS, so maybe i'm simply not in the right frame of mind at the moment or maybe i just tried to watch a little too much in one day. Either way...

I'll finish it later.

Last edited by His Royal Dorkness on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 pm

MrBill60 wrote:
That dinner scene in Lolani is probably one of my favorites right up there with the Khan dinner scene in the original "Space Seed".
That dinner scene was definitely an all-time classic. I loved Kirk trying to get an asking price for Doc McHenna, and trying to buy Lolani. I almost expected him to offer a trade next. tongue

MrBill60 wrote:

It's actually some kind of acrylic rubbery type of makeup that breathes.
That's pretty cool. I bet that makes it a lot better to wear for extended periods of time.

Quote :
It's the Orion pheromones or feramones or whatever!    Very Happy
It's pheromones. And yeah, i think it's awesome that they chose to revisit that.

Quote :
He just has that fresh-faced 60's look. He'd fit in perfectly in an original episode.
 I totally agree. He really got into that earnest acting, too, shit, they all do - it's a trip to see present-day actors using those dated methods, but i wouldn't have it any other way. Vic in particular does a really great Kirk.

Quote :
Guess she doesn't like being a slave.
I don't blame her, and obviously nobody on the Enterprise crew really holds it against her either. I thought at least some of them would make a big deal about that third killing, but i guess not. No big deal.

Quote :
Man, I'm really sorry I spoiled if for you. I wish I could recapture that moment when he appears in the transporter.  I had to triple-take.
Aw, you don't owe me any apologies. Hell, that was a selling point and helped me to get to the point of actually watching the episodes.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 pm

I went and finished episode 3. It was okay. I know there were lots of fans who wanted to know more about that mirror or alt or whatever, and it's cool that this show threw those fans a freakin bone. It's just that i wasn't one of those particular fans. I hope this show won't spend a lot of time there, if it does i may lose interest in spite of the new navigator.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 11:51 pm

This the only episode that is set in the Mirror Universe and  it's definitely a bone thown to the fans who wanted to know what happened when the Mirror crew is beamed back aboard their own ship.  The opening scene is almost an exact replica of the last scene of "Mirror Mirror".  They have a side by side video up on Youtube and it's amazing how accurately they pulled it off.  

Funny how just the introduction of a goatee turns Spock into "Evil Spock", although his logic eventually wins out, took our Kirk's advice, and goes the peaceful route.  

This episode introduced a new actor playing Dr. McCoy.  Chuck Huber was originally meant to play McCoy but was unavailable for the first two episodes.  

I was amazed at how much the actress playing Marlena Moreau (the Captain's woman) looks like the original actress.

Lt. "Jones, it's Smith sir" is introduced in this episode. She is a character who was briefly seen on the pilot "Where No Man has Gone Before". She will become really important in a future episode.

The Shuttle Craft seen at the end is the original one that has been restored and is on display at the Houston Space Center museum.  The cast and crew were invited to film there for that scene.

Love Kirk's "Spooock"! yell, very much like the "Khaaan!" yell in "The Wrath of Khan" film. Mignogna pulls that off so well.

I liked that the opening intro "these are the voyages.. " was changed to reflect the Mirror Universe. Those drum beats were nice. They did a fantastic job on the CGI. The detonations on the Halcon planet were absolutely amazing.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 12:09 am

Webisode 4: White Iris

Man, jumping right into the action. Ten seconds in and Kirk has already been jumped and knocked unconscious in what appeared to be an attempt to derail some kind of peaceful negotiation, and the other party looks like losing that particular opportunity to negotiate might have extraordinarily dire consequences.

Kirk seeing a ghostly girl, and having memories, including the memory of being made to forget. Very cool.

Lol 30 seconds of regular readings and he's ready to walk out of sickbay, after taking a drug that Bones claims to know little about, to boot! That seems at odds with my memories of Bones and his thoroughness in TOS, but i could be wrong and i'd be ready to forgive it anyway.

Has Kirk forgotten the code he's supposed to give to the chinstripe dude planetside?

Maybe he's simply too busy staring at another (dead?) ex-gf.

Will Kirk remember how to get to sick bay?

Apparently it's not only ex-gfs.

Wow, Spock just laid a guilt trip. How human of him.

That black lady keeps coming back, unlike the other phantoms he's seeing.

Kirk's heart muscle is atrophying. That's interesting.

Now another phantom. The android woman first, the black woman repeatedly, the barefoot little girl once, and now another one. I wonder how many skeletons there are in Kirk's closet.

I actually like how the show is designed for advert breaks, but is without adverts.

Oh, that awkward moment when everybody abruptly shuts up as you walk in the room.

Aaand yet another vision. Another woman. I guess Kirk has no male skeletons.

Then the urchin again. And yet another woman. And then he's starting to forget how to navigate the [EDIT: (inside of the) :/EDIT] ship.

Love Spock acknowledging that science is limited. heart2

Then several visions are crowding in on him, on the bridge, in a pressure situation. Not good.

Mmm, brandy sounds good. I wonder if any of Kirk's visions were named Brandy.

I think Bones just called Kirk a slut. I lol'd

Ah, so they are all ghosts. And he feels guilty. Extra-interesting then that Spock used a guilt trip earlier.

Seems like this episode is a bit of a paean to James T. Kirk, intergalactic playboy extraordinare. At least there's a planet's population hanging in the balance.

Somehow i suspected the urchin would be the last and most difficult resolution.

He never gave her a name? Go with "Brandy" Jim!

Awesome nod to Van Gogh. And relevant to the major episode theme, too. Very nicely done.

That was yet another damn fine episode. I look forward to watching boldly the rest of this series in the near future. Thanks for turning me on, Mr. Bill!

Last edited by His Royal Dorkness on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 4:28 am

I'm glad that you're enjoying it, Mr. Mo.

I wanted to mention that I think Todd Haberkorn as Spock really came into his own in "Fairest of them All". No one can replace Nimoy, but I thought when Todd performed the mind meld in Lolani and his lead role in Fairest , he really sold me on his portrayal of Spock.

The White Iris:
He's almost unrecognizable, but that was Colin Baker (the Sixth Doctor), who played the leader of the planet civilization.

This episode references several of the original series episodes and features the women from "City on the Edge of Forever", "the Paradise Syndrome", "Requiem for Methuselah" and a new character, Nakia, from an incident that was referenced in "The Enterprise Incident", which happened 14 years prior when Kirk was a young fleet officer.  I thought the actresses who portrayed these characters were excellent.

The episode deals with the guilt Kirk experienced over the loss of these women due to decisions he made.   The experimental drug  brings out this buried guilt and manifests it as ghosts from his past. It also has a side effect of physically damaging his heart as long as the guilt and manifestations occur and are not dealt with.    

I liked this episode because we saw another side of Kirk,  and that it was nice strolling down memory lane with some of the women from the original episodes. Rayna's silent gesture at the end and the resolution of the mystery of the little girl were particularly touching.  I thought it was really well done.

Also, this is the first episode that features a studio orchestra performing the score. I loved the music in this and the incorporation of the original themes and the new additions were fantastic.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 am

MrBill60 wrote:
This the only episode that is set in the Mirror Universe and  it's definitely a bone thrown to the fans who wanted to know what happened when the Mirror crew is beamed back aboard their own ship.  The opening scene is almost an exact replica of the last scene of "Mirror Mirror".  They have a side by side video up on Youtube and it's amazing how accurately they pulled it off.  

Funny how just the introduction of a goatee turns Spock into "Evil Spock", although his logic eventually wins out,  took our Kirk's advice, and goes the peaceful route.
Okay, i'm relieved to hear that the series won't be spending significantly more time there. With a night's sleep behind me i appreciate the episode a little more, and i certainly won't begrudge such a vast portion of the fan base a single episode to give them something they've waited for for so long. It is pretty funny that just a stripe of facial hair denotes such a huge change in character, but that's how TOS did it, so i'm glad STC stuck to it - it worked for me right away, even a few decades later i knew exactly what it signified. I guess it's a good thing Nemoy never wore one IRL.

MrBill60 wrote:
This episode introduced a new actor playing Dr. McCoy.  Chuck Huber was originally meant to play McCoy but was unavailable for the first two episodes.
The first guy was pretty good, but i already like Huber better.

MrBill60 wrote:
Lt. "Jones, it's  Smith sir" is introduced in this episode.  She is a character who was briefly seen on the pilot "Where No Man has Gone Before".  She will become really important in a future episode.
Oh, awesome. I know she didn't have a lot of lines, but i enjoyed her physical acting - and no i'm not talking about her being attractive, though she is, i'm referring to the facial expressions; she was definitely a bright spot in an episode that i had a difficult time getting into.

MrBill60 wrote:
The Shuttle Craft seen at the end is the original one that has been restored and is on display at the Houston Space Center museum.  The cast and crew were invited to film there for that scene.
That's awesome!

MrBill60 wrote:
Love Kirk's "Spooock"! yell, very much like the "Khaaan!" yell in "The Wrath of Khan" film.  Mignogna pulls that off so well.  
That's a great point. Funny that i chuckled when Vic did the yell, but i didn't immediately understand why it struck me as funny.

MrBill60 wrote:
I liked that the opening intro "these are the voyages.. "  was changed to reflect the Mirror Universe.  Those drum beats were nice.  They did a fantastic job on the CGI.  The detonations on the Halcon planet were absolutely amazing.  
It was pretty well done especially considering the budget constraints. Towards the end somebody mentions to Spock that the Halcon survivors are on board - i hope they're not too radioactive.

MrBill60 wrote:
I wanted to mention that I think Todd Haberkorn as Spock really came into his own in "Fairest of them All". No one can replace Nimoy, but I thought when Todd performed the mind meld in Lolani and his lead role in Fairest , he really sold me on his portrayal of Spock.
I think they've all done really well. Vic i particular really has Kirk down amazingly well, the walk, the facial expressions, the little mannerisms like pulling his shirt front down - it's incredible.

MrBill60 wrote:
The White Iris:
He's almost unrecognizable, but that was Colin Baker (the Sixth Doctor), who played the leader of the planet civilization.
Wow, totally didn't recognize him. Thanks for telling me. :)

MrBill60 wrote:
This episode references several of the original series episodes and features the women from "City on the Edge of Forever", "the Paradise Syndrome", "Requiem for Methuselah" and a new character, Nakia, from an incident that was referenced in "The Enterprise Incident", which happened 14 years prior when Kirk was a young fleet officer.  I thought the actresses who portrayed these characters were excellent.

The episode deals with the guilt Kirk experienced over the loss of these women due to decisions he made.   The experimental drug  brings out this buried guilt and manifests it as ghosts from his past. It also has a side effect of physically damaging his heart as long as the guilt and manifestations occur and are not dealt with.

I liked this episode because we saw another side of Kirk,  and that it was nice strolling down memory lane with some of the women from the original episodes. Rayna's silent gesture at the end and the resolution of the mystery of the little girl were particularly touching.  I thought it was really well done.
I completely agree that the actresses each performed wonderfully.

I found the specific use of the term "atrophy" to be enlightening in terms of the process that Kirk needed in order to recover. Muscles atrophy from lack of use, they shrink and shrivel and weaken. So the writers in this case were making a sort of pun, at the least a loose association and potentially a conflation, between the physical organ of Kirk's heart muscles and the poetic heart which is the repository of the most powerful emotions. The idea is that he never finished processing the guilt and grief - he hadn't used his heart - and now he needs to do so, not only for his own sake but also to save a whole planet full of people who're eager to join the Federation. This kind of clever association, with clever association between the plot and the symbolism (Van Gogh's white iris) all tied directly into plot points from TOS episodes, with both huge personal stakes and huge stakes of a galacti-political nature, is just flat-out great writing. This was a consummate episode and probably my favorite so far, if not by much.

Quote :
Also, this is the first episode that features a studio orchestra performing the score. I loved the music in this and the incorporation of the original themes and the new additions were fantastic.
I thought the music seemed just a bit richer. I appreciate all the details like these that you note, they make the experience a richer one.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 1:18 pm

The first guy was pretty good, but i already like Huber better.
The three leads, Vic Mignogna, Todd Haberkorn and Chuck Huber have tons of professional voice acting credits in Anime and video games.  Vic is probably best known for
voicing Edward Elric in the "Full Metal Alchemist" anime series.  Surprisingly Chris Doohan is not an actor by profession but channels his dad marvelously. Must be the family genes.

Quote :

Oh, awesome. I know she didn't have a lot of lines, but i enjoyed her physical acting - and no i'm not talking about her being attractive, though she is, i'm referring to the facial expressions; she was definitely a bright spot in an episode that i had a difficult time getting into.
Just loved her reaction as "Mirror Kirk" slams his fist down on the console.  Kipleigh Brown guest-starred in one of the Star Trek Enterprise episodes and is a wonderful actress.

Quote :

I think they've all done really well. Vic i particular really has Kirk down amazingly well, the walk, the facial expressions, the little mannerisms like pulling his shirt front down - it's incredible.

I totally agree. Vic pulls off Kirk without being a caricature of Shatner.  He asked the directors to tell him to back off the Shatner when it got too much. This was his "Love letter" to TOS and the last thing he wanted to do was to lampoon it.  

It's amazing watching some of the behind the scenes footage. He not only plays the Captain of the Enterprise, but he also captains the production to almost the same level that he displays on-screen.

Quote :

Wow, totally didn't recognize him. Thanks for telling me. :)
Vic and Colin Baker cross paths as panel guests in some of the Comicons and Sci-Fi Fan conventions, including GalifreyOne. The convention circuit is where Vic scoops up many of his guest stars, lol.

Quote :

I found the specific use of the term "atrophy" to be enlightening in terms of the process that Kirk needed in order to recover. Muscles atrophy from lack of use, they shrink and shrivel and weaken. So the writers in this case were making a sort of pun, at the least a loose association and potentially a conflation, between the physical organ of Kirk's heart muscles and the poetic heart which is the repository of the most powerful emotions. The idea is that he never finished processing the guilt and grief - he hadn't used his heart - and now he needs to do so, not only for his own sake but also to save a whole planet full of people who're eager to join the Federation. This kind of clever association, with clever association between the plot and the symbolism (Van Gogh's white iris) all tied directly into plot points from TOS episodes, with both huge personal stakes and huge stakes of a galacti-political nature, is just flat-out great writing. This was a consummate episode and probably my favorite so far, if not by much.

Nicely said and I couldn't agree more.

It's incredible that they were able to produce two episodes a year, not only with a limited budget but with really tight time restraints.  The entire production crew and cast are all volunteers with full time jobs and live all over the country. the principal photography had to be shot over a 10 day period- the logistics of coordinating everyone, travel, etc. must have been a nightmare. This is what sets this fan project apart from the others, most of the production crew are professionals in the film industry and it shows in the amount of effort that went into the pre-production phases to get everything set for filming.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 3:31 pm

These fun videos were  part of an old Kickstarter promo, long over since the series has been completed.  I love the episode "A Piece of the Action" and wish STC would have done a sequel to that episode.

Remember Fizzbin?

Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Those Kirkstarter vids were fun, and the episode that inspired them would indeed have made a fun revisit.

I think i can get through one more episode this weekend, but i'd better do it now if i'm going to. So without further ado...

Webisode 5: "Divided We Stand"

A bunch of pseudo-science babble magically scientifically transports Kirk and Bones to the US Civil War?

Looks like Kirk is a Union Corporal and Bones is a Rebel Sergeant, not that i'm a Civil War uniform expert.

The US Civil War was a particularly horrific time for military medicine. Weaponry had been improving at much higher rate than medicine.

These are some pretty well-heeled Union soldiers. I guess that's Hollywood (or film-making in general) for ya.

Antietam, huh? *shivers* gross

I don't necessarily understand what it is that the Enterprise doc is going to attempt here, though the stakes have been clearly stated. It'll be interesting if Kirk has to live with a prosthetic leg.

Spock's laying out some pretty long odds.

That was probably the least impressive of the episodes so far, in terms of writing. It seemed a bit incoherent to me, though it's possible that i never got far enough into the pseudo-science aspects of the show to understand them. That's never stopped me from enjoying an episode before, though, and it didn't stop me this time. It advanced ideals that Star Trek always did, and delved a little more deeply into individual freedom as well as shallowly into "disabilities."

Overall not a great episode, but definitely still a good one, and i feel sure that there are more greats to come.

I hope Mr. Bill can point out some stuff i missed.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Divided We Stand.

I agree, the story and the message were a bit muddled, but imo, the production values were off the charts, particularly in regard to fan films. This episode is unique because it the only episode that is an actual location shoot and I love how it was filmed.  The Enterprise sets are located in southern Georgia and I believe one or more of the local production crew are members of a Civil War reenactment group and arranged the filming at one of the local events.  That's one way to save on the budget  smile

Andy Farber returns as the composer and conductor of a live studio orchestra  The musical theme that is predominantly heard throughout the episode iwas originally featured in the TOS episode, "Charlie-X". when Uhura famously sings the song, "Charlie is our darling, our darling.. ". The melody is actually a tune that dates back to the Civil War and they decided to use it as the Billy character's theme.  

This episode showcased Chuck Huber as Dr. McCoy and I think he did a fine job.  Loved the opening teaser when he and Kirk were transported to the Civil War and the way he flinches as the rifles are going off around him. (Love how they put in the act /ad  breaks for imaginary ads and the music crescendos as it fades to black, just like in the original.)   I also thought the confrontation with the Union soldier officer, the campfire scene, and his bedside mannerisms in the field hospital were done well.  That amputation scene , excellent job by both Vic and Chuck.

The extras with speaking roles also did a pretty good jobs overall.  I especially liked the union soldier who beat up Bones and the old guy.   It's interesting to note that the guy who plays the Union doctor is the chief creature designer for PIXAR and he is the writer and creature designer for the following episode, "Come Not Between the Dragons".

Back on the ship, the doctor treating Kirk and McCoy is Dr. M'Benga who was featured in a couple of the original series episodes.  He's a specialist in Vulcan medicine and takes over when Spock is injured or when McCoy is not available such as in this case.  Nice job by the actor.  

I believe the nanites are supposed to be a call forward to the Borg nanites that are fully realized in TNG,  just as  the experimental Holodeck and Dr. McKenna, as the first ship's counselor, are call forwards to TNG when ship's counselors like Deanna Troi and Holodecks are standard.  Under the microscope, those nanites look a lot like miniature Borg Cube ships.

The episode structure is sort of modeled on the TNG episode, "The Inner Light", a fantastic episode, however in this case the structure didn't work.  The cut backs to the ship really took me out of the Civil War environment and actually lessened the impact since we know it is not real almost from the beginning, although Kirk and Bones don't know that.  So as far as writing and structure, not a great episode, but seeing the Civil War battle being played out (complete with horses and cannons) was fantastic, imo!
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 pm

That certainly deepens my appreciation of the episode. Particularly learning about the musical theme, which i never would've noticed on my own, and the note about the nanites, which i might've realized if i'd actually taken much time to think about it lol! I failed to recognize M'Benga too, so thank you for pointing that out to me as well! Also definitely cool to know the actor who played that Union soldier has such solid geek credentials!

I agree that Huber is doing a really great McCoy; the first guy was pretty good, but Huber has it down much better.

I thought i recalled holodecks being used in TOS, though not nearly as frequently as in TNG, though of course TNG (178 episodes in 7 seasons) also ran many more episodes than TOS (79 in 3 seasons). Yes, i had to look up the exact numbers.

I definitely have to hand it to that episode for the production values, as you rightly note the battle was well done. I guess if my biggest complaint about the visual aspects was that the uniforms were a little too clean, that's not exactly a strong indictment. Furthermore, though the writing wasn't quite up to the standards of some of the earlier episodes, it was still pretty good all things considered.

I'm very much still in this. I'm almost halfway through and already starting to wish that i had more to look forward to than there is. I can't imagine not finishing it at this point.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm

I agree that Huber is doing a really great McCoy; the first guy was pretty good, but Huber has it down much better.
The first guy, Larry Nemecek is not an actor, but he did a pretty good job, I thought.  He's written at least one book on Star Trek and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the franchise. He's used as a consultant on the series.  Speaking of authors, the award winning sci-fi author, Robert J. Sawyer, wrote the series finale.  It must be nice to have volunteers of that caliber.

Quote :

I thought i recalled holodecks being used in TOS, though not nearly as frequently as in TNG, though of course TNG (178 episodes in 7 seasons) also ran many more episodes than TOS (79 in 3 seasons). Yes, i had to look up the exact numbers.

Holodecks weren't actually shown in TOS but it was an idea that Gene Roddenberry had back in '68 and probably would have introduced them if there was another season and a budget. They finally materialized  (pun intended) in TNG.

Quote :

I definitely have to hand it to that episode for the production values, as you rightly note the battle was well done. I guess if my biggest complaint about the visual aspects was that the uniforms were a little too clean, that's not exactly a strong indictment. Furthermore, though the writing wasn't quite up to the standards of some of the earlier episodes, it was still pretty good all things considered.

I agree about the writing. Kirk kept going on about purpose. I kind of felt like those soldiers at the campfire, "Purpose? What the hell are you talking about? I should be home planting my crops!" Kirk can usually persuade, but it definitely fell on deaf ears, including mine at times.

It's funny, there's a behind the scenes video of a some of the actors rolling around in the dirt trying to get their uniforms battle-worn,  lol.

Quote :

I'm very much still in this. I'm almost halfway through and already starting to wish that i had more to look forward to than there is. I can't imagine not finishing it at this point.

If there are weaknesses in some areas, it's usually balanced out by strengths in other areas.  I think they're all entertaining in one way or the other.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Webisode 6: "Come Not Between The Dragons"

Interesting opening. Lt. Cmdr. Scott has the captain's chair, and a junior officer calls him "Scotty," which doesn't appear to trouble him in the least. These little details are frequent throughout this series so far, and they're often subtle, and i haven't taken the time to note them previously. I won't make a habit of noting them unduly in the future either, but it shows a nice attention to detail in quietly emphasizing crew relations. She's properly deferential to her superior officer and the informality of calling him by his nickname rather than by his full name nor his rank, even when he's nominally in command for the nonce isn't insubordinate nor disrespectful in the slightest, it's merely the way The Enterprise is for the most part. I think it's great the STC captures that spirit from TOS.

If i heard that correctly, 8 starships have been lost in one sector of space, though somehow without loss of life. Intriguing.

A meteoroid, traveling at near light speed? That does sound about impossible according to classical Einsteinian physics, but then again so is "Warp speed."

That's quite a breach! I enjoyed the way they displayed it, that was cool as hell, but wouldn't a deep breach like that cause at least localized decompression?

Multiple decks reporting breaches and Kirk surmises a boarding action has taken place. I'd love to know how he came to that specific conclusion so quickly. This could be quite the interesting episode!

Apparently the intruder came to find the blonde who called Mr. Scott "Scottie" and didn't want to join the girls for drinks. As we go into the opening sequence, i can't help but think she probably wishes she had a vodka martini in her hand right now!

I realize that i can't tell if the "These are the voyages" voice-over is the original or done by Vic Mignogna. He's got the voice and inflections down so well, i honestly can't tell. It might help him that i'm a little bit deaf, but still, damn that's impressive.

Great pacing, music, and acting as they corner the intruder, which is "emitting some kind of sensor shroud" Love the pseudo-science babble, i always got a kick out of it in TOS and i love that they continue the tradition, and so far haven't overused it.

This thing was traveling through interstellar space at a significant fraction of the speed of light, yet its momentum was stopped by hitting a starship. It goes through hulls and starship walls as though they were made of rice paper, but ran away when a rock was thrown at it (and why does she keep a stray throwing rock in her quarters?) and is actually stunned by a phaser presumably set on stun. lol2 Okay, i'm game.

Good on Uhuru to recognize echo location. Searching for the extremophile "rock" i'd guess.

Kirk has the bridge crew talking about feelings. Nothing like a group therapy session the middle of a crisis lol

Vulcan gone MAD! OMG this is awesome!

McHenna just knocked Bones out with one serious uppercut! That was great! lol4

Is Kirk carrying a rifle?!?

Ha, Smith is an ass-kicker too.

The fight choreography has come a long way since TOS.

"Where are they going?" - "He saved his father's life today." Probably they're going to DisneyLand, or at least out for ice cream.

"What would it take to change a person?" - i feel like this is foreshadowing of a future episode.

That was a lovely episode, with a great message and tons of extremely fun action thrown in too. We got to get to know Eliza a little bit, that was cool, and see darker sides of pretty much everybody.

Wow. I already can't wait for the next one. Too bad i'll have to, for now at least. Until then, live long and prosper!
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 4:31 am

Webisode 6: "Come Not Between The Dragons"

The character Eliza is played by Gigi Edgley who is probably best known for playing Chiana in the Farscape sci-fi series.

Quote :

If i heard that correctly, 8 starships have been lost in one sector of space, though somehow without loss of life. Intriguing.

Yes, nice catch.  This becomes important as we move down the final stretch.   STC is supposed to be the completion of the 5 year mission (as stated in the opening credits) and it was Vic's intention to leave the ship and crew off at the point where the first film (Star Trek: The Motion Picture) begins.  There are significant noticeable differences between  TOS and the movie, in terms of updated ships, uniforms, tech, and also changes in the crew.  This webseries tries address some of these changes.  

Quote :

A meteoroid, traveling at near light speed? That does sound about impossible according to classical Einsteinian physics, but then again so is "Warp speed."

That's quite a breach! I enjoyed the way they displayed it, that was cool as hell, but wouldn't a deep breach like that cause at least localized decompression?
Yes, we see these things all the time in TOS, like being whipped around the sun at faster than light speeds puts the crew into a time warp so they can visit Earth's past. It's part of the 60's charm of the series where Einstein apparently never existed or Newton for that matter.

Quote :

Apparently the intruder came to find the blonde who called Mr. Scott "Scottie" and didn't want to join the girls for drinks. As we go into the opening sequence, i can't help but think she probably wishes she had a vodka martini in her hand right now!

I wouldn't mind joining her for one in her quarters   :goof:

Quote :

This thing was traveling through interstellar space at a significant fraction of the speed of light, yet its momentum was stopped by hitting a starship. It goes through hulls and starship walls as though they were made of rice paper, but ran away when a rock was thrown at it (and why does she keep a stray throwing rock in her quarters?) and is actually stunned by a phaser presumably set on stun. lol2 Okay, i'm game.

Hehe, don't think she keeps "throwing rocks" around, it's probably debris from the giant hole in her wall.  We find out that Uzdi is just a scared and abused child who emotionally connects with Eliza (perhaps some psychic recognition that they share similar experiences of abuse?) .  So the rock or whatever she threw at him was seen as rejection and the phaser stun was perceived as just more abuse.

Btw, love the creature designs.  As I mentioned, Greg Dykstra, a senior creature designer at PIXAR designed them and also wrote this story.  The creatures look amazing and I love that their light changes depending on their emotional state.

Quote :

Vulcan gone MAD! OMG this is awesome!

McHenna just knocked Bones out with one serious uppercut! That was great! lol4

Is Kirk carrying a rifle?!?

Ha, Smith is an ass-kicker too.

The fight choreography has come a long way since TOS.

Scotty drinking Scotch from a steel flask in the Jeffries Tube was also a hoot, a nice callback to other drunken Scotty moments in the original.  I love Kirk's "Yer goin' to the brig" in brogue after he clocks him.

The phaser rifle was seen only once,  in the original series pilot, and it was recreated to perfection.

It's wonderful how the crew does their own fight stunts.  I always laugh at the original series fight scenes where the stuntmen don't even match the actors - different hairlines, builds and sometimes even hair color, lol. So this was a refreshing improvement on the original. 
Some nice high angle shots of the brawl in the newly built engineering room featured in this episode.

Quote :

That was a lovely episode, with a great message and tons of extremely fun action thrown in too. We got to get to know Eliza a little bit, that was cool, and see darker sides of pretty much everybody.

I thought Gigi did a wonderful job, although initially I thought maybe she was a bit too emotional or fragile for a star fleet officer.  But considering her character's experiences with abuse, the psychological effects that the father creature had on the crew,  and her emotional bond with Uzdi, I was fine with it.   A very strong performance and story indeed.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 12:39 am

Webisode 7: "Embracing The Winds"

Okay, first off, the title grabbed my attention in ways that none previously have. One might think that given my lifelong steeping in high fantasy, the last episode's title would have stirred me more, but it didn't. For some reason the first things to come to mind were The Scorpions's song Winds of Change, and a Civilization II scenario called East Wind, Rain (based upon the Pacific Theatre during WWII) which of course also conjured up the concept of Kamikaze: the "Divine Wind."

The firs two minutes of this episode are freaking PACKED. The Enterprise is ordered to one place while its CO AND XO are ordered to another? That's unrealistic protocol, but i'll suspend disbelief in the name of a good plot point for this series, it's earned that. Interesting that Sulu is taking his own time off to pilot the shuttle, and i guess that somehow antiquated weapons will play a role in this episode. Also interesting that Sulu mentions his ancestor growing up in an internment camp, presumably a US camp for Japanese citizens and immigrants during WWII, especially considering that i immediately thought of the WWII Pacific Theatre when i saw the episode title. Also McHenna is along for the ride, which is always fine by me (she's so much more fun than Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis, thanks for reminding me Mr. Bill :))) but i have mixed emotions about the prospect of the green people going to civil war.

Wow, a whole starship's crew lost but the ship is intact? The inverse of the previous 8 ships.

As we go into the intro, a few things. First, the white board was a nice prop. Second, i like how the writers turned the breach of military protocol into a great plot point. Also, i don't trust this commodore AT ALL.

I can now tell for sure that the voice-over is Vic. I'm incredibly impressed that it took me this long.

I can't help but think how really fucked up it is that with Starfleet down 8 ships, presumably capital ships, a Lt Commander is in charge of a flagship just because the commodore wanted Kirk wanted to hear about his XO's promotion in person, meanwhile saying that she wants any bad history between Kirk and herself to be forgotten, and has the chutzpah on top of all that to call it "a courtesy" to Kirk. What the blue bleeding fuck is that?

6:58: Spock will have a drink after all. I certainly can't blame him. Looks like thin blue blood to boot, what the fuck?

Wow. Talk about weird synchronicity. I'm currently reading David Weber's The Honor of the Queen, the second book in the Honor Harrington series. The fact that Honor is a female (space) warship's captain is an important but small plot point in the first book, but it's a massive plot point in this one, as she's now the flagship commander on a diplomatic escort whose diplomatic mission involves a massively misogynistic patriarchy. The captain of the other heavy cruiser in escort also happens to be female, as is the empire's chief executive, the queen mentioned in the title. Honor is escorting diplomats from her empire, which is a constitutional monarchy not unlike early political models of the United Kingdom here on Earth. The Queen is far from just a figurehead but also no totalitarian, we haven't met her yet but i already imagine she's based loosely on Victoria even though her name is Elizabeth. [/talking about non-STC shit (for now at least)

I love the camera work as the commodore waxes sympathetically towards "whoever" has to explain things to the patriarchy. Wah-wah, poor James T. Kirk. And Spock's measured facial expressions have gotten SO much better over these last few episodes; i liked the actor early on but now he's truly won me over.

10:40: Love the 60'sish painting on Spock's wall. How great that a Vulcan would go in for abstract expressionism. Another wonderful prop. This series just keeps getting better, i'm going to be fucking heartbroken when i've watched it all. Sad

"Perhaps you cannot imagine The Enterprise without me." - Spock. This line has so much more value in light of Mr. Bill telling me that these episodes are intended to take place between TOS and the movies. This kind of insight was beyond the Spock of early season 1 TOS, but it makes much more sense in context. Thank you again, Mr. Bill. *tips hat*

So... wait, Scotty's gonna beam over there himself? Who will sit The Chair?!?! :runaround:

We meet Garrett... Nothing like a little racism between colleagues, is there? And then she goes making Kirk suspicious too. Not an auspicious introduction to say the least.

Mr Hadley? dunno

Why the fuck would he take the closest thing left to a senior officer, Uhura, with him? I call BS on naval protocol again. *sigh* I hope there's a plot point for this one too, because it's pushing into the territory of the ridiculous now.

WOW. The conversation between Spock and McHenna was phenomenal, and captured the overall message of TOS as a whole brilliantly. Really fantastic writing.

It looks likely that Kirk will be deciding vote on who gets the captaincy of The Hood. Assuming The Hood makes it back to "drydock", of course, which i realize is the more subtle story being pursued, however nonsensically. I actually laughed out loud at the use of that term, drydock, i mean i know why space fleets are navy, but it doesn't get much drier than hard vacuum.

So Spock turned down Vulcan Science Academy because he has human emotions, yet he won't admit that. Mmm-hmm. Meanwhile a phrase was turned pretty here and there, and Kirk spoke well too.

What terrible corpse actors. They look positively alive. tongue

As the commodore grills the commander, as fine as that writing is, and it is fine, i can't help but realize that the music through this part is absolute brilliance.

Awww, Chekhov sacrificed himself to save the boarding party. *single tear*

Did they steal, er, borrow that explosion from Michael Bay? It looked like one of his. I suppose that renders the panel's decision moot in practical terms. Of course, Star Trek isn't practical, it's moral, and i love that.

OKAY how funny is it that Garrett made eyes at Kirk after her speech and then sauntered out in a deliberately provocative way? That was no accident, that was great writing, great acting, AND great camera work. Holy shizzboleth it was AWESOME.

"It's good to see you too sir... yes, sir." I about rofl'd.

Love Scotty admitting he doesn't understand. Retrcon-foreshadowing of his speech to LaForge? I wouldn't have believed that an episode with such an incredibly serious and important message has made me laugh so much, until it just happened.

Aaaand there it is. Embrace the winds; the winds of change. Scorpions baby. Btw i saw them on that tour. Trixter and Great White opened at what was then called the Knickerbocker Arena. I even got laid that night.

"I briefly considered chaining you to your station so you could never leave." delivered in total deadpan, and Spock does the reflective eyebrow at the very idea... that deserves a whole screen full of :rotfl:s and not for the line but for the acting, music, and direction.

I notice new backgrounds for the credit sequence. I feel slightly spoiled by that. gross

Overall... yay Fucking phenomenal episode. They just keep getting better.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 am

I will probably have more later, but I just wanted to post a quick comparison image.  I'm not only totally blown away by the accuracy of the sets but the costuming and and the props. I mean where did they find seat fabric and chairs that exactly matched those of 50 years ago?  The props on the tables - perfect, the lighting? - I could go on and on. The attention to detail is absolutely phenomenal.

Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch BoMiqCa
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 23, 2018 10:32 pm

Webisode 7: "Embracing The Winds"

Okay, first off, the title grabbed my attention in ways that none previously have. One might think that given my lifelong steeping in high fantasy, the last episode's title would have stirred me more, but it didn't. For some reason the first things to come to mind were The Scorpions's song Winds of Change, and a Civilization II scenario called East Wind, Rain (based upon the Pacific Theatre during WWII) which of course also conjured up the concept of Kamikaze: the "Divine Wind."

Nice references, especially the Kamikaze translation "Divine Wind".     "Embracing the Winds of Change"

Quote :

The firs two minutes of this episode are freaking PACKED. The Enterprise is ordered to one place while its CO AND XO are ordered to another? That's unrealistic protocol, but i'll suspend disbelief in the name of a good plot point for this series, it's earned that. Interesting that Sulu is taking his own time off to pilot the shuttle, and i guess that somehow antiquated weapons will play a role in this episode. Also interesting that Sulu mentions his ancestor growing up in an internment camp, presumably a US camp for Japanese citizens and immigrants during WWII, especially considering that i immediately thought of the WWII Pacific Theatre when i saw the episode title. Also McHenna is along for the ride, which is always fine by me (she's so much more fun than Deanna Troi (Marina Sirtis, thanks for reminding me Mr. Bill :))) but i have mixed emotions about the prospect of the green people going to civil war.

The Sulu reference was a salute to George Takei, who did grow up in an internment camp. Interesting, my daughter's partner's father (her future father-in-law, hopefully)  also spent his early years in an interment camp.  What an interesting man, and we had a very informative conversation about it.

Quote :

I can now tell for sure that the voice-over is Vic. I'm incredibly impressed that it took me this long.

Yeah he's great. A slightly higher voice register but it's pretty spot on. If Vic smoked a pack a day, I think he would sound exactly like the Shat.

Quote :

I can't help but think how really fucked up it is that with Starfleet down 8 ships, presumably capital ships, a Lt Commander is in charge of a flagship just because the commodore wanted Kirk wanted to hear about his XO's promotion in person, meanwhile saying that she wants any bad history between Kirk and herself to be forgotten, and has the chutzpah on top of all that to call it "a courtesy" to Kirk. What the blue bleeding fuck is that?

The "bad history" is a reference to "Lolani".  The Commodore kept reminding Kirk not to interfere in Orion's politics because they're not part of the federation and it could lead to a declaration of war.

Quote :

Wow. Talk about weird synchronicity. I'm currently reading David Weber's The Honor of the Queen, the second book in the Honor Harrington series. The fact that Honor is a female (space) warship's captain is an important but small plot point in the first book, but it's a massive plot point in this one, as she's now the flagship commander on a diplomatic escort whose diplomatic mission involves a massively misogynistic patriarchy. The captain of the other heavy cruiser in escort also happens to be female, as is the empire's chief executive, the queen mentioned in the title. Honor is escorting diplomats from her empire, which is a constitutional monarchy not unlike early political models of the United Kingdom here on Earth. The Queen is far from just a figurehead but also no totalitarian, we haven't met her yet but i already imagine she's based loosely on Victoria even though her name is Elizabeth. [/talking about non-STC shit (for now at least)

Sounds interesting , I might have to check it out.

Quote :

I love the camera work as the commodore waxes sympathetically towards "whoever" has to explain things to the patriarchy. Wah-wah, poor James T. Kirk. And Spock's measured facial expressions have gotten SO much better over these last few episodes; i liked the actor early on but now he's truly won me over.

Todd Haberkorn as Spock started to win me over since the second episode and I was sold in the third.  There's no replacement for Nimoy, not even the guy in the movies, imo, but Haberkorn has his own take and it's pretty damn good.

Quote :

10:40: Love the 60'sish painting on Spock's wall. How great that a Vulcan would go in for abstract expressionism. Another wonderful prop. This series just keeps getting better, i'm going to be fucking heartbroken when i've watched it all. Sad

The props and the attention to detail are through the roof.  Did you notice the 60's Samsonite suit cases? Yeah they're definitely producing a 60's show.

Quote :

"Perhaps you cannot imagine The Enterprise without me." - Spock. This line has so much more value in light of Mr. Bill telling me that these episodes are intended to take place between TOS and the movies. This kind of insight was beyond the Spock of early season 1 TOS, but it makes much more sense in context. Thank you again, Mr. Bill. *tips hat*

cool  wine - (closes to :cheers: that I could find)

Quote :

We meet Garrett... Nothing like a little racism between colleagues, is there? And then she goes making Kirk suspicious too. Not an auspicious introduction to say the least.

Mr Hadley? dunno

Why the fuck would he take the closest thing left to a senior officer, Uhura, with him? I call BS on naval protocol again. *sigh* I hope there's a plot point for this one too, because it's pushing into the territory of the ridiculous now.

Definitely Uhura should have been utilized more in this episode.  She deserves to sit in the captains chair.

Quote :

WOW. The conversation between Spock and McHenna was phenomenal, and captured the overall message of TOS as a whole brilliantly. Really fantastic writing.
They develop quite a respect for each other throughout.

Quote :

So Spock turned down Vulcan Science Academy because he has human emotions, yet he won't admit that. Mmm-hmm. Meanwhile a phrase was turned pretty here and there, and Kirk spoke well too.

There's a whole back story that is explored in TOS and the new films.  The Vulcan's weren't too happy about him rejecting the prestigious Vulcan Science Academy, and he had to endure a lot of racism on Vulcan because he is half human (his mother).  Vulcans generally look down on humans as a bunch of Neanderthals.

Quote :

What terrible corpse actors. They look positively alive. tongue

Yeah, they were pretty bad.

Quote :

As the commodore grills the commander, as fine as that writing is, and it is fine, i can't help but realize that the music through this part is absolute brilliance.

Awww, Chekhov sacrificed himself to save the boarding party. *single tear*

..and a promotion to LT.  It's about time, he's been an ensign for at least 3 years apparently.

Quote :

OKAY how funny is it that Garrett made eyes at Kirk after her speech and then sauntered out in a deliberately provocative way? That was no accident, that was great writing, great acting, AND great camera work. Holy shizzboleth it was AWESOME.

"It's good to see you too sir... yes, sir." I about rofl'd.

Garrett is played by Claire Kramer, who's probably best known for a regular role on Buffy, The Vampire Slayer.  All of the featured guest actors have long IMDB acting credits.
When she says, "Someday, maybe a Garrett will command the Enterprise, this is a reference to Captain Rachel Garrett (as featured in TNG)  who commanded a future version of the Enterprise.  Maybe  her granddaughter.    

Quote :

I notice new backgrounds for the credit sequence. I feel slightly spoiled by that. gross

Are they from future episodes?  I'll have to check it out.  I noticed they updated the first one which  originally didn't contain any pictures during the credits, just moving star field.  That wouldn't be good if they're spoiling it.
Quote :

Overall... yay Fucking phenomenal episode. They just keep getting better.

I agree.. # 8 is not bad, but #9 is pretty incredible (particularly with some iconic guest actors).
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Mar 24, 2018 6:31 pm

MrBill60 wrote:
The "bad history" is a reference to "Lolani".  The Commodore kept reminding Kirk not to interfere in Orion's politics because they're not part of the federation and it could lead to a declaration of war.
Ok, i remember that. I'd assumed that there was something else, but if that's all it was, then i can more easily understand why she wouldn't make much of it.

MrBill60 wrote:
Sounds interesting , I might have to check it out.
It's quite a long series that's enjoyed popular success and modest critical acclaim if not any actual awards. There are times when Weber waxes a bit too technical for most casual sci-fi fans, but it's infrequent and when he does it never lasts more than a page or two.

MrBill60 wrote:
The props and the attention to detail are through the roof.  Did you notice the 60's Samsonite suit cases? Yeah they're definitely producing a 60's show.
I did notice that, and i noticed the palm reader thingy looked an awful lot like the one from TOS too, but without your screenshots i wouldn't have realized quite how detailed the set was.

MrBill60 wrote:
There's a whole back story that is explored in TOS and the new films.  The Vulcan's weren't too happy about him rejecting the prestigious Vulcan Science Academy, and he had to endure a lot of racism on Vulcan because he is half human (his mother).  Vulcans generally look down on humans as a bunch of Neanderthals.
I remember it from TOS, maybe not thoroughly, but yeah. Even his father (Sarek?) gave him shit about it.

MrBill60 wrote:
..and a promotion to LT.  It's about time, he's been an ensign for at least 3 years apparently.
LOL That IS a long time to be an ensign. I've always appreciated Rodenberry naming his Russian character Chekhov - personally i'm a bigger fan of Dostoeyevsky, but far better Chekhov than Tolstoy or any of the revolutionaries.

MrBill60 wrote:
Garrett is played by Claire Kramer, who's probably best known for a regular role on Buffy, The Vampire Slayer.  All of the featured guest actors have long IMDB acting credits.
When she says, "Someday, maybe a Garrett will command the Enterprise, this is a reference to Captain Rachel Garrett (as featured in TNG)  who commanded a future version of the Enterprise.  Maybe  her granddaughter.
I don't recall that character offhand. Perhaps i'll go look her up after i post this and see if it stirs up any memories. 

MrBill60 wrote:
Quote :

Are they from future episodes?  I'll have to check it out.  I noticed they updated the first one which  originally didn't contain any pictures during the credits, just moving star field.  That wouldn't be good if they're spoiling it.
Yeah, it sure looked like scenes that haven't happened yet. Some could well be foilers too, so with that in mind I feel quite as spoiled as at first blush.

Quote :
I agree.. # 8 is not bad, but #9 is pretty incredible (particularly with some iconic guest actors).
I look forward to it!
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 10:35 am

I meant i *don't* feel quite as spoiled.

Also, i went and looked up Captain Rachel Garrett. It took several minutes of reading to knock the thick layer of dust off those old memories, but i did succeed in eventually recalling that episode, in which Whoopi saves the day. I can't imagine that i'd have followed those breadcrumbs on my own to ever make that connection, so another nice bone thrown to the hard-core fans. I might not be one myself, but i certainly can appreciate that STC acknowledges that part of the fan base and gives them some fun.

Webisode 8: "Still Treads The Shadow"

A nascent singularity discovered near an unoccupied system. Nice then that the system is unoccupied. I believe the term "nascent singularity" takes us a bit past the 60's, if not by much, but that's cool, not a complaint just a note and i could even be wrong at that.

"Are we there yet" "*sigh* Not yet." "Are we close?" "*sigh*" Is that a Simpson reference? tongue

9:06: Spock mentions Einstein! :O

This concept certainly has potential from a story-telling perspective. However, for anybody interested in contemporary astrophysics theory, one of the last major contributions Stephen Hawking made was to supposedly "prove" that while subatomic particle radiation may be translating between universes via black holes, it's highly unlikely, and it's far more more likely that universal particle drift occurs in the form of quantum foam; furthermore that anything bigger than subatomic particles couldn't pass through singularity event horizons without being fundamentally altered at a subatomic level. He did prove that black holes emit subatomic radiation, too, fwiw. The scientific community generally refers to such emissions now as "Hawking radiation" in tribute.

14:53 I'm pretty sure that's not what it would look like if a starship were pulled into a singularity. But it still looked pretty cool.

19:39: Nice reference to Hawking radiation. So some of the babble has been upgraded to contemporary terminology. Iirc Hawking radiation isn't something that could be used for bombardment though, as it's generally considered to be roughly quark-sized subatomic particles. So while the terminology may be updated, the science itself is still purely fictional. Fun!

I haven't had a lot to say over the last 20 minutes or so, but it's been good.

Interesting analogy of "surfing" gravitational waves. If i understand current gravitational theory correctly, i'm not sure how two singularities of significant size could be kept from merging once their gravitational wells interact. If i absolutely HAD to guess at a mechanism for doing so, my only guess would be magnetism, as magnetism is a far more powerful force than gravity; but exactly how to use magnetism in such a scenario, and towards such a purpose, i have no idea.

Furthermore, i'm not following the idea that these singularities merging would somehow exponentially increase the gravitational pull, so that any star systems within a parsec would suddenly be doomed. The gravitational whole should be less than the sum of its parts, so to speak, i'm pretty sure.

But aside from all that, i have been enjoying this episode quite a lot. The writing and acting have been solid, and the premise is interesting in human terms if nonsensical scientifically.

A "trojan horse" program? We're just supposed to accept that Tiberius wouldn't notice that bit of rogue code or malware or whatever else we could call it, because it takes pride in its chess acumen? If it's capable of pride, and self-awareness, then it should also be capable of redemptive human qualities as well.

Kirk's going to leave old Kirk as captain. That may not be a breach of military protocol, but it certainly seems like a poor choice. The old guy isn't exactly fully recovered psychologically from his decades-long hell. Nobody could recover from all that so quickly, tricorders or no.

Um. That's mutiny.

Okay, nice side-step on the mutiny charge, but it's never too late for courts-martial. There have been many posthumous courts-martial, and it's not unheard of for corpses to have been flogged. I suppose the 23rd century is beyond such barbarism.

Why not send at least the engineer back before entering the rift?

Awww, they did. smile

I think maybe the scientific aspects of this episode would have made a lot more sense if they'd used the term "antimatter" instead of "dark matter." Both are very real concepts in contemporary physics, and they're very different.

The credit sequence for this episode showed only one image i didn't recognize from previous episodes, with Uhura on the captain's chair. Could be an outtake for all i know. Still, different from the last episode's credit reel.

Overall, a fine episode. Not quite as good as Embracing the Winds, but still very high calibre.

I've only one regular episode and a two-part finale left. wah
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Rekha Sharma was the guest star in this episode.  For sci-fi fans, she is probably best known for her role as the Cylon Humanoid, Tory Foster, in the rebooted BSG series.  She also plays Commander Landry in the new series,  Star Trek:Discovery.

This episode showcased Vic's acting talent as he played three roles in this episode.  Kudos also to the makeup and editing departments, it was really well done and seamless as the old and current Kirk interacted.

Obvious references to 2001 A Space Odyssey with Tiberius as HAL 9000.  This episode is also an indirect sequel to "The Tholian Web" and features The Defiant,a ship which was lost and phased out of our universe with  Kirk aboard.  One of the phase outs apparently resulted in Kirk being duplicated.  While the Enterprise got their captain back, the duplicate was left marooned on the Defiant with a dead crew and remained there for 300 years.  The first 40 years he endured consciously with only the computer as a companion. The computer gained sentience and then put Kirk into stasis to try to get him home .

Kirk has a history of outsmarting computers throughout the original series, by either directly destroying the computer by phaser fire or by outsmarting them with an illogical loop which usually ended up with the computer short circuiting itself with a lot of pyrotechnics.   Too bad they upgraded this approach and used a virus instead.  

Regarding the Rift, I don't think normal physics applies since these were two adjacent black holes, one in our universe and the other one in a parallel universe.  

Quote :

I think maybe the scientific aspects of this episode would have made a lot more sense if they'd used the term "antimatter" instead of "dark matter." Both are very real concepts in contemporary physics, and they're very different.

Antimatter was referenced often in the original series, in fact that's what the Warp drive used for propulsion.  Dark matter is a relatively new concept, and I think they introduced the updated terminology and technology references to fulfill the "educational" requirement to maintain their 501c3 tax status, even though it may be inaccurately described in this episode.  Generally, Trek sort of threw away real world physics with time travel and such.

Quote :
The credit sequence for this episode showed only one image i didn't recognize from previous episodes, with Uhura on the captain's chair. Could be an outtake for all i know. Still, different from the last episode's credit reel.

That image may have been from one the short vignettes that were filmed prior to the full length episodes.  I remember one called "You've got the Conn" where Uhura briefly takes the captain's seat. They are shorts and quite entertaining.  Sort of a taste of what's to come.

Not the best episode, but the acting and story were definitely above par.

Last edited by MrBill60 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 9:38 pm

I still remember TOS Kirk ordering a ship's computer to divert all its processing power into computing Pi. Great moment.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 2:44 am

Webisode 9: "What Ships Are For"

Nurse Chapel? That rings a bell.

A Theodore Roosevelt reference? Interesting.

Looks like we'll be getting into whatever's been causing all those problems with 8 ships gone but crews okay, and that odd inverse of The Hood, that's been mentioned earlier in the season.

"She's in my spot." - OMGLMAO

tom-ay-toe, tom-ah-toe - call it off, gentlemen... cheeky

3:45: Suddenly we're using non-color film. I take this as an unsubtle commentary on the old-fashioned xenophobia of the prevailing cultural norms of the planet in question, and also that things here may have shades of grey, but certainly no full spectrum. It might be worth noting in all fairness that what we humans refer to as "the visual spectrum" is merely a fraction of the forms of light which could conceivably be visible. I also wonder if it's something of an homage to The Wizard Of Oz or maybe, going WAY out on a limb, Citizen Kane.

Oh, the characters can't see colors either. What a fascinating concept, i'd love to read jane's reaction to this device.

Expecting a tentacle or two... "Expecting someone taller" kind of thing? Hmmm, interesting.

"If our human females looked like that, we'd go extinct. Classic. lol

Decent technobabble about the lack of hue.The dialogue before that was downright exquisite.

10:15 James T. Kirk, intergalactic playboy extraordinaire back in action and getting the demure coy smile - tough to tell if the young lady actually blushed under the circumstances.

The Vulcan neck pinch saves the day again! Such a great convenient device, except for all the times it doesn't get used when one might think it could've been. To be fair, though, Spock's an intensely complicated character, whose development often defied both logic or emotion or both, so his sometimes inconsistent use of the technique is relatively easy to explain away for such reasons.

Sounds like these folks have found themselves in a real Catch-22. I know it's wrong, but i think i'd have actually been better entertained if the protester had committed suicide. I'm sure the show will change my mind about that before too long. I guess it says something about the way TV shows (and movies) use gratuitous shock value these days even when a better story can be crafted without it. I've appreciated the way STC has stayed so true to the model of TOS.

She just ruled out most forms of diseases.

Interesting question about whether she's see color or not.Sighted species that have evolved in lightless environments have been known to lose visual organ development as swiftly as 20 generations, which is insanely fast in evolutionary terms. It also makes me wonder if the natives might've evolved something different than what we consider normal optical cones, so they would be able to differentiate differing wavelengths of light as effectively as the crew, if in a different way. Perhaps more interesting foreshadowing, please pardon the puns, but shades of LaForge again?

Jim's such a charmer.

Another interesting wrinkle. Aliens living among them. The plot thickens!

I'd have to guess that Sekara's people were facing extinction themselves, and decided to blend into an existing culture that would be at least temporarily unable to tell them apart. Fascinating concept if i'm right. If i'm wrong, i hope it's even better.

Is all this over-the-top self-consciousness of Sekara's just a shade disingenuous? She seemed self-possessed enough planetside, though she is perhaps discovering a whole new world, so to speak, and she certainly did seem genuinely flustered by Kirk's attentions even planetside. I love the physical acting by this actress playing Sekara, her body language, posturing, and mannerisms flow so naturally through the variety of emotions she's already displayed. Very impressive acting.

They're going to repair a sun. Wowsers.

Vic sure learned how to throw a cold wet towel on a steamy seduction scene, eh? Classic too - and BOOM back to the action!

25:00 - It's late, i think i need a break, and will finish this episode a little later on.

Until then, live long, and prosper.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Mar 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Quote :
3:45: Suddenly we're using non-color film. I take this as an unsubtle commentary on the old-fashioned xenophobia of the prevailing cultural norms of the planet in question, and also that things here may have shades of grey, but certainly no full spectrum. It might be worth noting in all fairness that what we humans refer to as "the visual spectrum" is merely a fraction of the forms of light which could conceivably be visible. I also wonder if it's something of an homage to The Wizard Of Oz or maybe, going WAY out on a limb, Citizen Kane.

I'll comment further after you've completed the episode, but I did want to mention that the B&W theme of this episode was a remembrance of the way most viewers watched Star Trek when it originally aired in 1966, when only 10% of households owned color TVs.  Vic explains how he came up with the idea in an interview and B&W is the way he first enjoyed Star Trek, (Me too). We got our first color TV in '68 and the first show I watched in color was Star Trek. I remember the moment and the episode.  (I felt like Sekara).   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Mar 31, 2018 12:41 am

MrBill60 wrote:
This episode showcased Vic's acting talent as he played three roles in this episode.  Kudos also to the makeup and editing departments, it was really well done and seamless as the old and current Kirk interacted.
Well-noted and i thoroughly agree.

MrBill60 wrote:
This episode is also an indirect sequel to "The Tholian Web" and features The Defiant,a ship which was lost and phased out of our universe with  Kirk aboard.  One of the phase outs apparently resulted in Kirk being duplicated.
I appreciate the reminder.  smile

MrBill60 wrote:
Regarding the Rift, I don't think normal physics applies since these were two adjacent black holes, one in our universe and the other one in a parallel universe.
I think that explanation really stretches the word "adjacent" but i get it well enough.

MrBill60 wrote:
Antimatter was referenced often in the original series, in fact that's what the Warp drive used for propulsion.  Dark matter is a relatively new concept, and I think they introduced the updated terminology and technology references to fulfill the "educational" requirement to maintain their 501c3 tax status, even though it may be inaccurately described in this episode.  Generally, Trek sort of threw away real world physics with time travel and such.
I thought warp drive ran on dilithium crystals?

I recall Nurse Chapel a bit now, she was with TOS for most if not all of its run, though never a major character that i remember. I think the actress married Gene Roddenberry, too.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyMon Apr 02, 2018 11:25 am

Quote :
I thought warp drive ran on dilithium crystals?

Yep,  dilithium crystals are used to create a matter/anti-matter reaction in the engine chambers according to the age-old canon.  I guess it's the future equivalent of plutonium.

Quote :
I recall Nurse Chapel a bit now, she was with TOS for most if not all of its run, though never a major character that i remember. I think the actress married Gene Roddenberry, too.

Yes, she's Majel Barrett who was the wife of Gene Roddenberry.  She also voiced the Enterprise Computer and had a few appearances on TNG as Deanna Troi's mother.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Apr 07, 2018 11:43 pm

Continuing commentary on Webisode 9: "What Ships Are For"

26:16: Smith has The Chair. Interesting. Is she a senior officer now? I understand Uhura is going to busy with tasks not best left to anyone else. I don't recall seeing any other senior officers on the bridge... i guess it makes sense, sorta, but it does seem strange to have all the senior officers planetside, especially considering the circumstances... but that's how TOS rolled, and i suppose there's no reason for STC not to follow suit.

That little, "Damn, I'm good" moment takes me a bit out of TOS for a moment. A self-satisfied smile would have been plenty, or a hopeful grin would have worked. I think saying the actual line was a bit much. JMO

"The only sort of probe I've got," after Scotty admitting that he lives between the engineering room and the transporter room (and apparently the bridge on rare occasions) - i lol'd

So i guess i don't have much else to say about the episode. Kirk's speech was good. There was something very TOS-esque about whatsisname not being moved by Kirk's speech nor by seeing his wife revealed, but by seeing his wife re-revealed through seeing his daughter revealed.

At the moment it seems a fine episode overall. Sorry i forgot to post this a couple days ago.

I have very mixed feelings about knowing that all i have left to see is the two-part finale, but i'm also eager to get back in to Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 1:39 pm

The only comments I wanted to make are on the fantastic guest actors in this episode.

Galisti was played by the great John de Lancie who is probably best known for playing "Q" in the Star Trek franchise- TNG and the later spinoffs.  I haven't seen a lot of his work outside of Trek, but I really liked his performance as Jane's father in season 2 of Breaking Bad.  As I was watching "What Ships are For",  I was hoping he would "bring out the Q" and he actually did during his criticism of Star Fleet and "The Prime Directive".  No one does sarcasm like de Lancie, and the sarcastic note in "Who do you think you are?" is so much like "Q" when he sat in judgment of the human race in the TNG pilot.  Loved it.  

Anne Lockhart played Galisti's wife, Thalus.  Lockhart is from one of those Hollywood acting families that goes back generations.  Her long list of acting credits go back decades to childhood appearances on the original Lassie TV series.    Her sci-fi connection is guest starring in many sci-fi oriented TV series in the '70's and 80's. She had a regular role in the original BSG series and guest appearances in  Buck Rogers in the 25th century, ]The Incredible Hulk, Quantum Leap and more.  Her mother, June Lockhart was famous for playing Will's mother in Lost in Space.    

Elizabeth Maxwell played Sekara.  She is mainly a voice actor in Anime and video games and has a long list of voice acting credits but I'm surprised that she doesn't have more live action roles, she was fantastic as Sekara. I can see how she excels at voice acting with that wonderful voice, but she also has this cuteness and would love to see more of her on my screen.

The Star Fleet medical officer in the beginning was played by Mark Rolston, a great actor with a long list of credits.  He does have a Star Trek connection in that he played a character in one of the  TNG episodes,  however I also recognize him as playing Bogs Diamond, the head "Sister", in The Shawshank Redemption.  That was an intense character, to say the least.

I enjoyed the episode and the message was very timely. At the time of production, Trump was coming into office with his anti-immigration stance.  Like TOS, it tends to hit you over the head with the message,  but not to the extent of some of the original episodes like "Let that be your Last Battlefield" with the half-black and white faces, or "The Omega Glory" where Shatner recites the Declaration of Independence. I loved the guest actors and they really elevated this episode.  

Mr. Mo, I think you'll enjoy the finale and I think you'll recognize at least one of the guest actors. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 2:16 pm

I thought Galisti looked familiar but couldn't place it. A very interesting and impressive list of guest stars. Bogs Diamond was definitely an unforgettable character.

I don't mind that the message is being used bluntly. Star Trek as i remember it was always a show that promoted liberal political vales like inclusion, compassion, equality, and liberty. In a lot of ways those are conservative political values too; i suppose it depends who you ask. Regardless, as you pointed out, and i agree, TOS was often far more over the top in pushing its belief system. I happen to agree with most of the philosophy of the show, so that makes it a bit easier to take, but it's also that's part of the kitschy charm of the show. For example i agree with most of John Irving's politics too but A Prayer For Owen Meany was too over the top in beating the reader over the head with its message for me to enjoy it.

Maybe i give Star Trek a little more leeway because of the era of its production as well. There were a few moments in TOS that earn a real eyeroll, but not too many imo, and STC has done a fine job of continuing the tradition.

________

How crazy fun could it have been if Galisti was revealed to actually be Q at the end of the episode? *head spins with possibilities*
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySun Apr 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Quote :
How crazy fun could it have been if Galicki was revealed to actually by Q at the end of the episode? *head spins with possibilities*

That's what most fans were thinking or hoping..lol.  They were also hoping that in the previous episode that Shatner would have returned to play the role of "old Kirk".  That would have been a dream.  Some of the original actors did play their characters on another fan series, but unfortunately Shatner won't touch fan films.

Regarding the finale, it heavily references the original series pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before. If you have access to Netflix streaming or Youtube, it might be good for a refresher. It also references another episode, but I won't spoil that because it's such a "wow" moment, but I'll post some comments regarding it after you've watched the finale.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 am

Back to "Fairest of them All" for a minute. "Fairest of Them All" is a sequel to the original "Mirror Mirror" episode so STC decided to recreated the final scene of the original episode as the opening scene of the sequel.  I found this side by side comparison of the scenes and I'm pretty sure that you'd need a time machine to get any closer.  Chris Doohan's "Captain, Get into the chamber!" is just downright eerie.

Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Apr 21, 2018 6:33 pm

I've started on this episode a few times. I've had a browser crash, a circuit break, and a post go "poof." gross

So here we go again. I might be posting the episode recap/review in several pieces due to resultant paranoia.

Webisode 10: "To Boldly Go, Part One":

I've always been annoyed by the split infinitive. Considering that TOS never fixed it, i can understand why STC didn't either, but making it an episode title, especially the finale title, definitely feels a little bit like a poke with a sharp stick.

00:10: What an interesting opening shot. Some winged demon looking thing behind a smoking cauldron with chains, and what looks like a poleaxe up against the red curtain, with the whole shot bathed in red. Auspicious.

Interesting that the camera pans over and the color scheme shifts abruptly to green before we see Spock and McHenna meditating together. Now they are in a frame dominated by green, with the red in the shot confined in a geometrically confined space.

It's "salutary" to ask oneself about one's own emotions. Oddly, that seems logical.

Spock will miss McHenna. It is great that STC has delved more into Spock's acceptance and acknowledgement of his emotions.

Translation: Don't tell Scotty, but y'all have taught me that i love my mom. LOL so sweet.

6988.4 Interesting cross-point established visually as we see the figurine bathed in blue as we transition to hearing Kirk's inner dialogue. These uses of colour schemes are anything but coincidental.

So they've lost 8 ships, then the crew of a ship, then two ships were badly damaged, then the colony went silent. Significant anti-proton residue means Romulans. So Starfleet Command's "necessary" response is to send a single starship? That goes WAY beyond straining incredulity into the territory of utterly ridiculous, and i hate to say this because i've had effusive praise for most of the writing so far, but this is jumping the shark lazy writing. I don't accept that there was a better way, plot-wise, to get the Enterprise to El Debberon (sp?). Nevertheless i'll watch on, because i'm committed to finishing this series. But that's just flat-out bad, i'm sorry to say.

"I don't suppose they left a key under a rock somewhere." - I lol'd

That was some terrible tactics. Without even asking for covering fire, which has already proven somewhat helpful, Kirk rolled prone directly underneath the "automated defenses" on a hunch. Gah. Of course it worked, but still, not even ten minutes in and this episode has had me scoff incredulously twice, and in this case i'm willing to bet that this "automated defenses" sequence was probably just a pointless action scene that will have no actual bearing on the plot.

I wonder if that red eye-screen thing the woman (?) is wearing is supposed to be an early version of what Jordi LaForge wears in TNG.

"Absolute power does not corrupt absolutely, it corrupts selectively." - I don't trust her.

So they're getting dragged into a Romulan civil war?

Now they're ordering a neutral zone violation by a lone starship. cry

16:20: I wonder what Spock's up to there. "Direct any response to my quarters." Apparently he anticipated this course and has some contingency plan. Interesting.

Well, Spock barely needed 30 seconds. The 30 minutes given by Kirk were unneeded.

Why didn't the transport room officer know where she transported the "imposter"? Credulity is taking a beating all over the place in this episode.

So Lana and this Vulcan-pretending-to-be-a-Romulan are married? I'm pretty sure there are some gaping holes in the writing here, but at least that's a clever plot twist. Perhaps she's the one who made the transporter room officer think Kirk ordered the transport out of the brig.

Lana just called Kirk "typical" and then said he's a cro-magnon. Good opening for the speech.

I like the character of the security chief. Pretty solid background character.

I take it the sub-commander was overruled at the last moment.

Or not. Lol. But he is being overruled now.

Shutting down their own life support? "To see if we could"... ?!? That seems a bit much.

Seems odd that Kirk is questioning his own judgement in following orders.

"Consider this a rescue mission" - awesome!

I love it, they're going to overlap two totally different groups of pseudo-scientific technobabble. "You always say that," Kirk says to Scotty, definitely prefiguring Scott's little speech to LaForge.

The chief's phaser was set to vaporize? That seems unlikely.

NCC 1701!

What's up with the square golden patch on (Sentak) fake-Romulan dude's forehead? Is that supposed to be a bandage?

To be continued...
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 pm

I'll wait until you complete Pt 2 to comment further, but did you recognize Lana? Maybe not because it's been years.   It's Nicola Bryant who played Peri Brown, companion to the 5th and 6th Doctors.

The episodes are a call back to the original pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before"  which involved a couple of crew members being zapped by the energy from the "Galactic Barrier" at the rim of our galaxy and raised their already high psychic levels (High ESP = Espers) to god-like powers.  

I think they would have sent more ships to investigate but Star Fleet was down 8 ships and the E was the only one in the sector.  That's how it usually flies in TOS.  

Regarding the Romulan Commander, this was a call back to the episode "The Enterprise Incident" and the actress is the splitting image of the original actress who played the original character.  Maybe because it's her daughter, who is also an actress.  That was definitely was a Wow moment for the fans and a genius casting decision, imo.  

Joanne Linville on the left, daughter Amy Rydell on the right.  Amy is the same age that her mother was when she played the character 50 years prior. Amy absolutely nailed that role. More of her in Part 2.

Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch MWhB2VN
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySun Apr 22, 2018 10:06 am

I vaguely recognized the character but didn't realize how actually close the resemblance was. I watched TOS in syndication, and the original pilot didn't get a lot of play in syndication, but i'd managed to see it once or twice.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptySun Apr 22, 2018 11:14 am

Webisode 11: "To Boldly Go," Part 2

Can't help but notice, as i thought, that NCC-1701 is the Enterprise. I guess the production crew couldn't be bothered to make a small change to represent a different ship of the same class. A small prop fail, and i think the only one i've noticed so far the whole series.

And now i notice that the ship (Kongo) floating out of the "galactic barrier" is marked 1710, and am suddenly unsure of what i saw last episode. Hmm.

I wonder if Kirk is counting the chief and the other security officer who vaporized last episode.

13:05: So little bit of Dungeons & Dragons rules leaking in, with the realization of an illusion canceling its power.

Oooh, they're going to separate the Enterprise. Fun.

I think Spock should have continued fire. I see no reason to believe the ESPers would negotiate in good faith.

...and they were fake readings.

I think Lana's right, that there's no turning back. They've murdered FAR too many people.

That was quite the sacrifice from Smith. It almost makes me believe Lana's tenet about absolute power.

It only made sense that McHenna had to die, after all she's not in any of the movies.

Well, that was a nice speech from Kirk, and mercifully brief as only fictional speeches can be.

That was a pretty great little series overall. I have to say that i think it was better than another season or two of TOS would have been had they been made in the 60's.

"The human adventure continues..." Indeed.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 12:23 pm

I watched the vignettes today.

The first one tickled my memory banks. I vaguely remember the leadup to it, and the vignette provided a fine resolution if my memories serve. Probably more importantly, it showed that the actors involved were about perfect for their roles, and that casting, wardrobe, sets and props, and even special effects would stay true to TOS.

The second was great fun of the kind rarely enjoyed in TOS. Vic really owned Kirk early; i can't even imagine how many hours he spent in front of a mirror to perfectly capture all Shat's little nuances. The guy playing Chekhov really nailed the character throughout the series, and i very much enjoyed the actors playing both Sulu and Uhura too.

The third was a little different. I half-expected the cases would be of scotch whiskey, and while i don't remember Scotty popping woodies over phasers at any point in TOS, it could just be that i don't remember a particular scene or two, and even if he never did it in TOS, it does still fit in the character just fine, and Chris Doohan does a fantastic job emulating his father in the character. The casting for McCoy stands out because Chuck Huber really doesn't look like DeForest Kelly, unlike every other major character in STC, who do all strongly resemble the actors whose roles they continue. However, Huber really does a great job emulating Kelly anyway, down to body language, speech inflection, facial expressions, head movement, and phraseology, which in particular was helped in no small part by great writing i'm sure.

I enjoyed the vignettes and i'm glad i saved them for after watching the show. I admit i was underwhelmed by some of the writing for the finale, but i also have to admit that it was still better than a lot of the writing for TOS, and also i feel strongly that overall the series had phenomenal writing, even if it got too loose for my taste toward the very end. The vignettes helped remind me of what i absolutely loved about STC, and there's a LOT to absolutely love for anyone who enjoyed TOS, even those like myself who were never rabid not even truly dedicated fans.

Mr. Bill, you said that this was, "Vic's love letter to TOS," and certainly his fingerprints are all over it, it's probably fair to say that he was the one who made it all happen. But he was the sole reason that it was so damned great - far from it. Everybody who contributed to STC did a phenomenal job. It was great to see the side-by-side comparisons you posted, so that i wasn't relying solely on decades' old memories to realize how faithfully recreated every little detail was.

Perhaps i was even unfair and wrong in some of what i attributed to bad/lazy writing in the finale. TOS had some of the very same stupidity in command decisions, and perhaps it wasn't bad writing as much as a condemnation of the system in which civilian politicians dictate military strategy and tactics, which is as relevant today as it was in the 60s and 70s.

So with all that said, i thank you, Mr. Bill, for recommending this show, for sharing my journey, and for helping me to fully appreciate the genius of Star Trek Continues.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyFri Apr 27, 2018 1:10 pm

I have to post this fantastic, wonderfully edited video of a behind the scenes retrospective by one of the wardrobe crew.  It's uplifting, makes me smile, and represents an ideal of the perfect work environment.

Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch EmptyTue May 01, 2018 8:15 pm

I love this image of newly promoted Admiral Kirk saying goodbye to the decomisssioned Enterprise.

Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch ETiergW

Mr. Mo, I'm glad you enjoyed the series.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch   Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch Empty

Back to top Go down

Star Trek Continues: Mo's First Watch
Page 1 of 1