Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
vonnegut

PostSubject: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:39 am

Someone? Anyone? Please?
Back to top Go down
Nessess

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Stop acting so desperate. You'll scare them away.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:53 pm

But when she does that she sometimes sounds like the sirens luring greek ships to their doom.

So I watched the first episode on Hulu. Just so it could be me contributing. Unexpectedly.

What I liked:

The geometric designs as in the alleyway tattoos and the skin tattoos---and the early contrasting right angles of the city as the shot went upward from the alley.

The "villain"'s use of both ice and fire or water and steam or whatever. His sarcasm after dispatching the guard at the prison was a little priceless. And then the mountains of ice surging like glaciers to meet at the central target. I wish the "villain" himself would exhibit minute ice particles or steam off his forehead sweat or that strand of hair he left hanging. You know as a mood indicator.

The (in terms of the episode) secondary "villains" who were masters of quiet and contemplation. The Crimson fellow. When I was listening to him I couldn't wait for the current "villain" to be dispatched so that Crimson could escape. And Gluttony's friend, I assume Lust???? She's seductive. Maybe Crimson and she could have a liaison.

The quiet conversation on the couch between the accidental foster parents.

The quiche looking dish on the dinner table. It looked good.

The empty detached helmet head.

What I disliked:

Whenever the kid hero turned loud. Dude calm yourself down. You disrupt the rhythm of the episode. I like the metal brother more lots of the time.  

The way what's his name the younger guy in charge of operations is played. He resembles a refugee from The Office or some other Sitcom where this character would sometimes say why am I surrounded by morons? Or maybe spending anytime at the office at all is a problem. Those strategy meetings were dull.

Over inflated chest man. Calm yourself down and go to a gay gym.

The fuhrer. First the name is unfortunate. Second his standing there at the end of the episode and doing his thing is a disguised form of showboating. I'm so cool I just have to stand here looking cool with my cool eyepatch.

That the episode is dubbed. I for one do not mind subtitles at all. But at least in this production the voices aren't annoying.

Meanwhile

Just to let you know I'm not an Anime fan. I've never watched shows for instance. A movie I like though is Princess Mononoke. Now that had Myth and Style. So we'll see if watch more. Maybe every so often I'll squeeze in an episode. But when? Maybe when the Sirens sing again. Maybe...

thelook thelook thelookthelook thelook thelookthelook thelook thelook thelook thelook thelook
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 pm

OMG I GOT A NIBBLE

@davidalan wrote:
But when she does that she sometimes sounds like the sirens luring greek ships to their doom.

So I watched the first episode on Hulu. Just so it could be me contributing. Unexpectedly.

What I liked:

The geometric designs as in the alleyway tattoos and the skin tattoos---and the early contrasting right angles of the city as the shot went upward from the alley.

Transmutation circles-- the art of alchemy.
These come up, a lot, and not just in a "he's not using a transmutation circle"-every-time-anyone-sees-Ed kind of way.

Quote :

The "villain"'s use of both ice and fire or water and steam or whatever. His sarcasm after dispatching the guard at the prison was a little priceless. And then the mountains of ice surging like glaciers to meet at the central target. I wish the "villain" himself would exhibit minute ice particles or steam off his forehead sweat or that strand of hair he left hanging. You know as a mood indicator.

LOL.
One fun thing about the show is how creative alchemists can get when working in their medium. I liked how the Freezer used the water in his own blood as a weapon.

Quote :

The (in terms of the episode) secondary "villains" who were masters of quiet and contemplation. The Crimson fellow. When I was listening to him I couldn't wait for the current "villain" to be dispatched so that Crimson could escape. And Gluttony's friend, I assume Lust???? She's seductive. Maybe Crimson and she could have a liaison.

Ahhh, because you missed the name-- you met Solf Kimblee, the Crimson Alchemist. He's one of my favorites. And yes, we are definitely not done with him.

You are correct that Gluttony's friend is Lust.
:)

Quote :

The quiet conversation on the couch between the accidental foster parents.

The quiche looking dish on the dinner table. It looked good.

The empty detached helmet head.

LOL, all good things.

Quote :

What I disliked:

Whenever the kid hero turned loud. Dude calm yourself down. You disrupt the rhythm of the episode. I like the metal brother more lots of the time.  

Yeah Ed does not calm down (usually). But, it doesn't matter, because the secondary characters are so amazing.
And yes, Alphonse (metal brother) is 1000x cooler than Ed. <3 Al Forever <3

Quote :

The way what's his name the younger guy in charge of operations is played. He resembles a refugee from The Office or some other Sitcom where this character would sometimes say why am I surrounded by morons? Or maybe spending anytime at the office at all is a problem. Those strategy meetings were dull.

I fuckin know you aren't talking about Roy Mustang.
There is a lot more to him than strategy meetings.
His backstory is the best, his character is the best, and he will burn you alive by snapping his fingers.

Quote :

Over inflated chest man. Calm yourself down and go to a gay gym.

LMFAO OMG ARMSTRONG! BUT GAY GYMS HAVE BEEN IN THE ARMSTRONG FAMILY FOR GENERAAAAAAAATIONSSSSSSS!!!

Quote :

The fuhrer. First the name is unfortunate. Second his standing there at the end of the episode and doing his thing is a disguised form of showboating. I'm so cool I just have to stand here looking cool with my cool eyepatch.

The name is unfortunate.
It is not accidental.
There is a LOT going on in this show. A whole lot. This is just episode 1.

Quote :

That the episode is dubbed. I for one do not mind subtitles at all. But at least in this production the voices aren't annoying.

I prefer dubs if the voices are good, and I LOVE the voices in this show.

Quote :

Meanwhile

Just to let you know I'm not an Anime fan. I've never watched shows for instance. A movie I like though is Princess Mononoke. Now that had Myth and Style. So we'll see if watch more. Maybe every so often I'll squeeze in an episode. But when? Maybe when the Sirens sing again. Maybe...

thelook thelook thelookthelook thelook thelookthelook thelook thelook thelook thelook thelook

It's 100% okay that you aren't an anime fan.
Being not-an-anime-fan, I probably wouldn't tell you to watch Trigun or Samurai Champloo.

But, I'm telling you to watch this. You will quickly forget it's anime. The plot and the characters have barely even been hinted at, at this point. As I have said before... this isn't a show that is "good for an anime," it's just a GOOD SHOW. One of my favorites, across all mediums.

You're only 20 minutes in, after all!

Check out the next few episodes. Around episode 4 it starts hitting its stride. And, I mean, again... episodes are only 20 minutes long, so it's not like you're sinking a lot of time into it.

But, you will like it. No Negans. No "this show is dragging on too long and the quality is decreasing." It's a planned arc with a set number of episodes and a definite beginning/middle/end.
You will like it.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:58 pm

@Nessess wrote:
Stop acting so desperate.  You'll scare them away.

The Hard Sell is all I know, babe.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Shit, I can't edit the first post.

But, just in case anyone needs character names:

From Episode One:

Edward Elric
Fullmetal Alchemist

Alphonse Elric
Brother of Edward

Trisha Elric, deceased
Mother of Ed and Al

Colonel Roy Mustang
Flame Alchemist
Enormous Badass

Lt. Riza Hawkeye
Mustang's Second-in-Command

Winry Rockbell
Automail Mechanic
Childhood friend of the Elric Brothers

Pinako Rockbell
Grandmother to Winry

Lt. Maes Hughes
Central Command

Gracia Hughes
Wife of Maes

Fuhrer King Bradley
Ruler

Gluttony

Lust

Alex Louis Armstrong
Strong Arm Alchemist

Isaac McDougal
Freezing Alchemist

Solf J Kimblee
Crimson Alchemist
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:33 pm

I will give Roy Mustang a chance. Maybe it's his dull environment that's holding him back.

No Negans? Already 4 stars.

Have you seen Princess Mononoke? My mentioning it makes me want to watch it again.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm not generally a movie-watching type.

But, if you watch this, I will watch that.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:49 pm

And oh yes.  You don't know Mustang yet.

He's amazing.

If you don't love him after episode 19, you don't know how to love.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:54 pm

@vonnegut wrote:

Deal. yay

Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:58 pm

@vonnegut wrote:
And oh yes.  You don't know Mustang yet.

He's amazing.

If you don't love him after episode 19, you don't know how to love.

Oh sweetheart I know how to love. And if (or more likely when) I end up loving Roy Mustang it'll be the best love he's ever had.

camp campp :2thumbsup:
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:41 am

..... Bitch I will fight you for him.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:04 am

fight mad2
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 am

@vonnegut wrote:
I prefer dubs if the voices are good, and I LOVE the voices in this show.

I nearly always prefer the sub. I've yet to find where the actual feeling and emotion come through with the dub. IMO the only way to get the true experience is to watch with the original recording.

This wouldn't exactly be my "first watch", but I may be tempted to re-watch with y'all because this series is pretty good. There's probably a lot I've forgotten or just plain missed the first go around.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Episode 2:

Basically an origin story at least in terms of the boys' attempt to use alchemy in a very taboo way. The mother's death was very sad. And what the episode did well at was showing in a short amount of time how driven the boys were in bringing their mother back to life. I liked the fire and light show, and Edward's descent or travel into what I suppose was a spiritual dimension where a very strict host awaited him. Very keen on the equivalent exchange principle the host was. And in having a spooky ominous voice. Meanwhile some dripping corpselike figure appears on the alchemy design. Perhaps the mother or the only representation of her that the boys were going to receive without sacrifice at least one other life in return. Maybe that whiny little girl. Or the fuhrer because he's very dull.

What was even sadder or even more powerful than all that was Alphonse's suit or armor against the wall waiting for Alphonse's soul to bind with it. Very nice after the fact foreshadowing.

Another great moment was the dinner time argument over who's the shortest and the loudest between Edward and Pinako. And yet Edward compliments her stew. That's nice.

Edward's test was adequate but I think the pov switched too much and we should have had either just Edward and the tricks he was going to perform or Roy Mustang who's now in the middle of the boys' visceral tragedy and the lockstep orderliness of the fuhrer's military. The test in the end fell flat. And all we had really was more of the fuhrer's fake coolness.

One interesting thing: the date on the mother's tombstone was from before 1900 to just after 1900. I wonder if Japanese history then or any history was meant to correspond with this story's timeframe.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:17 pm

I watched the first 2 episodes and boy is there an information overload in the first ep. I'm glad they took time to slow down in the second episode and give some backstory/perspective.

At any rate, I'm not going to move onto further episodes until I re-watch the first episode again. There's just too much crammed in there and I need to take another shot at it before I move forward.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Is this a sequel to Full Metal Alchemist? A reboot? Sorta both? I need more info before i seriously consider becoming invested.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 pm

It's kind of the same story, so I guess a reboot? But it follows the book instead of being stupid and lame.

Like, this is the 100x better version of the original FMA.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Re-watch of episode 1:

Furher Bradley seems to be in charge. He orders Col Roy Mustang to apprehend McDougal.

Edward Elric is the Fullmetal Alchemist. His younger brother Alphonse and himself want to go to Liore, but are delayed by incidents at Central Command.

Isaac McDougal is causing the incident. He can control water and like freezing / steam attacks. He needs transmutation circles to perform alchemy. Ooo, magic circles.

Ed can transform metal (maybe earth as well) and doesn't need transmutation circles.

Ed has an "Automail" arm as discovered by Isaac who couldn't attack it because there was no water (blood).

Ed has a complex about being small.

Ed and Al try to stop Isaac's unknown plan but he manages to use a puddle of nearby water to cause a steam explosion and escape the police.

Al seems to be better at martial arts than alchemy.

Ed is the red oni and Al is the blue oni.

Short haired blonde female works w/ Roy.

Isaac is a former state alchemist, took part in the Ishvalan War of Extermination in the military. He's now with the anti-establishment.

Something has happened to the Elric boy's bodies in the past, but they aren't given enough time to reverse the issue.

Roy thinks Lt Col Maes Hughes is a pest.

Hughes takes in the boys since they don't have a place to stay. He has a wife Gracia and daughter Elicia.

Gracia is a good cook and makes quiche for dinner.

Isaac breaks into a prison and tries to get the "Crimson Alchemist" (Kimblee) to join him. Together they will avenge what happened in Ishval.

Kimblee refuses saying he's not interested in any cause, he killed people before because he wanted to.

Meanwhile, Hughes is worried that the young Elric brothers are being used as "dogs of the military".

The brothers talk about how the quiche reminded them of their mother.

Both kids want their bodies back soon.

Isaac is placing transmutation circles all around the city.

Alex Louise Armstrong, the "Strong Arm" alchemist shows up to stop Isaac.

Isaac can also use high pressure water to cut through things. He causes a distraction to escape Armstrong.

Roy Mustang is the "Flame Alchemist". Roy, Armstrong, and the brothers are unable to stop Isaac who uses the circles around town to create a huge transmutation circle. He uses the power to make an ice attack on Central Command.

The brothers believe he must have a "philosopher's stone" to achieve this.

During a fight to stop Isaac, he realizes that the brothers lost their bodies committing taboo. Human transmutation.

Isaac claim that if they boys only knew what was going on, they'd be on his side. But he's got no time to explain it and gain allies as he's too busy getting killed on his lone mission. *groan*

Being outmaneuvered and no water around, Isaac makes a last ditch attack with his blood. This allows him to escape again.

Short haired blonde girl asks Roy (the flame alchemist) to only be useless on *rainy* days. lol Roy seems to be a bit of a bumbler.

While trying to escape, Isaac runs into Bradley in an alley. Isaac attacks with his blood again.

Bradley can somehow move faster than sight and slashes Isaac to death with a sword seemingly without moving.

Roy and Armstrong working together destroy transmutation circle and stop the ice attack.

Bradley give Roy all the credit for saving Central Command.

Ed is hospitalized from Isaac's blood attack.

Armstrong shows up at the hospital, removes his shirt, and proceeds to give Ed a gun show because he think it'll make him feel better. Armstrong wants the boys to touch his muscles. No homo?

Mystery woman laments Isaac's death and says he overused the philosopher's stone.

She has a companion named Gluttony.

She's in Liore. According to her, something will begin very soon.

Overall, the story of the episode mostly isn't as important as meeting the characters, seeing their powers, and character development. There are a few important story points revealed though.

Press F to pay respects to Isaac.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:22 pm

@vonnegut wrote:
It's kind of the same story, so I guess a reboot?  But it follows the book instead of being stupid and lame.

They start off the same. But during the original anime it outpaced the manga so at some point the TV writers just had to start making up their own story. Brotherhood is the full telling of the manga after it completed.
Back to top Go down
frogge

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:31 pm

@davidalan wrote:
Have you seen Princess Mononoke? My mentioning it makes me want to watch it again.
@vonnegut wrote:

Princess Mononoke is one of the best (if not the best) anime movie ever made! An ecological story with no real good guys or bad guys. I highly recommend it as well! I think you'll like it.

@davidalan wrote:
One interesting thing: the date on the mother's tombstone was from before 1900 to just after 1900. I wonder if Japanese history then or any history was meant to correspond with this story's timeframe.
Don't get hung up on that. This is an alternate world.

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:
Is this a sequel to Full Metal Alchemist? A reboot? Sorta both? I need more info before i seriously consider becoming invested.
@vonnegut wrote:
It's kind of the same story, so I guess a reboot?  But it follows the book instead of being stupid and lame.
Quote :
They start off the same. But during the original anime it outpaced the manga so at some point the TV writers just had to start making up their own story. Brotherhood is the full telling of the manga after it completed.
They diverge somewhere around FMA:B episode 14. FMA fleshes out the early material slightly better, but FMA:B wins because the story keeps getting better and better.

FMA:B also has a sequel movie.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Falc0 wrote:

By "short haired blonde female" you mean Lt. Riza Fuckin Hawkeye, Badass Extraordinaire.

Quote :

Isaac is a former state alchemist, took part in the Ishvalan War of Extermination in the military. He's now with the anti-establishment.

Note this, First-Watchers. I didn't remember Ishval coming up so early on, but I think it's because I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Quote :

Isaac breaks into a prison and tries to get the "Crimson Alchemist" (Kimblee) to join him. Together they will avenge what happened in Ishval.

This might be my favorite part of the episode (other than Riza yelling at Mustang because he's useless when wet).
Creepy ass Kimblee in his creepy ass cell, with his hands stuck in a board so that he can't use the transmutation circles tattooed on his hands.
"Sorry bro, not joining your crusade, I just like murder."

Quote :
Both kids want their bodies back soon.

Al not being able to eat food breaks my heart.

Quote :

Isaac claim that if they boys only knew what was going on, they'd be on his side. But he's got no time to explain it and gain allies as he's too busy getting killed on his lone mission. *groan*

LMFAOOOO. I know, right? Idiot.

Quote :

lol  Roy seems to be a bit of a bumbler.

:/ No he is not.

Quote :

Overall, the story of the episode mostly isn't as important as meeting the characters, seeing their powers, and character development. There are a few important story points revealed though.

Really in hindsight, the amount of foreshadowing is amazing.
This show is better on the rewatch.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Just rewatched ep 1.

Things of note:

All of the Ishval talk. It's easy to lose that when you're still trying to figure out who the characters are and what's going on.

Mustang's debrief on Isaac: "He served in the Ishvalan War. During that time, he gave us no signs that he'd turned traitor. But after, he immediately resigned his commission and went into hiding. He's been working with the anti-establishment movement ever since. "

Kimblee acts surprised when Isaac comes to him. Isaac says: "You saw the horrors that took place in Ishval. You were there, damn it! "

When Mustang confronts him: "You can make this easy on both of us. I’d rather not fight with an old war buddy."
Isaac responds: "War buddy? Please, don’t flatter yourself. I knew no friends in Ishval! Only military bastards and their damn dogs!"

And as Isaac's plan comes together: "Führer King Bradley! For your cold-blooded crimes in Ishval, I condemn you to a frozen hell!"

That's a lot of background-plot-droppin for episode 1.

Other best part of the episode is pissed-off dripping-wet Mustang melting the glaciers, as shown in my sig gif. "What do you think of my flames now, you bastard!" and Riza rolling her eyes at him.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:29 pm

As an aside, something that is apparently gone into more in the book than in the show, the mechanics of Roy's flame alchemy-- he isn't "creating fire" as much as he is, in a controlled and targeted way, transmuting the gases in the air to make them flammable (upping the oxygen content, etc).

The gloves he wears are basically just flint/friction gloves-- they have on them the circles he needs to transmute the air, and when he snaps his fingers it creates the spark to ignite the gases.

As shown later but never explicitly mentioned, each glove has a slightly different effect-- the right hand does the big "firebomb" effect of a large explosion, the left hand can produce a narrow, pin-pointed strike to a small target.

There is a lot of episode 1 joking about "useless when you're wet," but really he has to have SOME kind of weakness to the alchemy he does. While all of the alchemists can do crazy fucked-up things, Mustang's flame alchemy is probably the most "OP" as my son would say (over-powered... as in a thing in a video game that gives too much of an advantage).
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:30 pm

(By the way, my av is also a shot from the show, but no spoilers-- you'll find that one out on your own)
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 pm

So, episode 2.

First time we get the info-dump intro.

The Law of Equivalent Exchange.
One of the things I like about this show is it isn't Harry Potter (magic with no rules and a million loopholes). Having Eq.Ex. makes it more science-based... magic with rules. There is a limit to what you can do, and you can't break physics but so much. You can change (transmute), but you can't create out of thin air.

I have to say, I fuckin LOVE the so-bad-it's-good Japanese theme song openers and closers. I actually have them on a disk for the car.

We open on the train to Liore... and right to the thing that breaks the magic-with-rules... the Philosopher's Stone. If you're going to fuck with physics, you need this thing.

Then to the flashback. When the boys are doing alchemy as children, Trisha Elric says "Did your dad teach you that?"
Ed: "How can he teach us anything when he's not ever here?"
She tells them that they take after their dad.

Ed, after Trisha dies, yells about their dad: "He's not our dad, he didn't even come for mom's funeral."

Introduction of Pinako. <3 Cranky old pipe-smokin' woman.

"Water, 35L. Carbon, 20kg. Amonia, 4L. Lime, 1.5kg. Phosphorus, 800g. Salt, 250g. Salpeter, 100g. Sulphur 80g. Fluorine, 7.5g. Iron, 5g. Silicon, 3g"
The materials to transmute.
But, you must exchange something for a life. Just the raw materials make the thing that appears in the transmutation circle-- materials, but not human.

But when the transmutation happens:
"My head felt like it was about to burst. For an instant, it all became clear. The truth... of everything."

Afterwards he says that if he could just see it again, he COULD pull off human transmutation. That it's possible.

Unfortunately, the cost, his leg.

And then Al being taken in entire.

" Give him back. He's my brother. Take my leg. Take my arm. Take my heart. Anything. You can have it. Just give him back! "

And, then he gives up his arm to bond Al to the armor.

In present day, Hughes is worried about the boys. "He's just a kid. I mean, military life isn't easy you know. That boy's gonna have to go through hell some day. You and I certainly have seen our share."
First intimation that Hughes and Mustang were close in Ishval.

Mustang comes to check out the Elric Brothers in the past. Sees that they've done the most fucked up shit that alchemists can do... but, because the military isn't that big on morals, decides that being skilled enough to attempt it is enough to qualify him.

I also love the quiet exchange between Young Riza and Baby Winry.
"Have you ever had to shoot anyone?"
".... Yes, I have."

"Miss Riza? Why did you become a soldier?"
"Because there's someone I have to protect."

<3 <3 <3 OMG CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FORESHADOWING <3 <3 <3
That line killing me.

The first time Ed transmutes without a circle. Al: "You do it the same way that Teacher does!"

Test is test. Fuhrer is Fuhrer. Ed is given the code name "Fullmetal."

And on to Liore.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am

@vonnegut wrote:
Falc0 wrote:

By "short haired blonde female" you mean Lt. Riza Fuckin Hawkeye, Badass Extraordinaire.

Yes, but we don't find that out until the second episode.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:49 pm

“The First Day”

Alchemy is the science of understanding, decomposing, and reconstructing matter. However, it is not an all-powerful art. It is impossible to create something out of nothing. If one wishes to obtain something, something of equal value must be paid. This equivalent exchange is the basis of alchemy. Alchemists have a taboo, and it is human transmutation. It is that which no one must commit.

The boys are on a train to Liore. They have heard of a priest who can create flowers from thin air and believe he may have a philosopher’s stone.

Flashback to a previous time, getting a stone is key to getting their bodies back.

*10 years earlier*

The mother happens upon the boys who are teaching themselves alchemy using their father’s books. Their dad is never around. Mom is proud of them.

That summer an epidemic claims her life and the boys are left to fend for themselves. Ed is mad at their dad for never being around. (Think we’ll see the dad someday?)

Knowing it’s not allowed, the boys decide to use alchemy to bring their mother back.

Their friend Winry and her grandmother feed and take care of the boys. Ed and grandma argue with each other about being short. (Is this the root of his short complex?)

The boys study for years and write a formula to bring their mother back, see Vonne’s formula above.

They add blood for soul data. (What no milk, the key to good stew?)

The spell goes awry (rebound) and parts of their bodies disintegrate. Al’s whole body disappears and Ed is pulled into an alternate dimension.

Ed is standing in front of a Kabbalah tree of life and meets a being. He asks the being who he is and the being replies: the world, the universe, god, and you.

The being shows Ed the “truth” which is an overload of information and just as he’s about to see his mother, he gets pulled back. Ed tells the being that he was just about to understand human transmutation so let him see more. The being tells him that’s all he’s paid for with his equivalent exchange.

Ed awakens back in the real world. His leg is missing and his brother is completely gone.

The pile of ingredients for the spell turn into disfigured human and quickly die. Ed casts another spell to bind his brother’s soul to a suit of armor and trades his arm in the equivalent exchange.

*Back to present time*

Hughes and Roy are going over the final Isaac report which mentions Xingese Alkahestry. Neither know what this means.

Hughes is still worried about the boys being in the military and that one day they’ll have to go through hell.  Roy thinks to himself they’ve already seen hell.

*4 years earlier*

Roy and Lt Riza Hawkeye (here ya go Vonne) travel to the brother’s home based on a rumor of a powerful alchemist. Roy discovers what they have done.

He decides to offer them a place in the military both because they can be useful and it will give them resources to maybe get their bodies back.

Winry tells Riza she hates soldiers because they took her parents away to the battlefield and they never returned. Now they want to take the boys away.

Winry asks Riza why she joined the military and she says to protect someone. Winry realizes she has someone to P R O T E C C.

Winry and grandma replace Ed’s arm with automail. He goes through 1 year of recovery and can now transmutate w/o a circle. Al is surprised he can do the same thing as their teacher. Ed is surprised Al can’t. Ed thinks back to his meeting w/ the being and asks Al if he saw it too. Al asks, see what? (Why can their teacher transmutate w/o a circle?)

Winry says she’ll support Ed until he can get his body back.

Ed takes his military entrance exam and impresses everyone by transmutating a pole arm w/o a circle. He feigns an attack at Bradley and Bradley slices the weapon seemingly without moving.

Ed receives a silver pocket watch as proof of his state certification and is given the title of Fullmetal Alchemist.

*Back to present time*

The boys arrive in Liore.

Press F to pay respects to Trisha Elric 1878~1904.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:01 pm

F
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 am

Okay...tried to watch it, remembered why I dropped it the first time after about five minutes. It's the exaggerated face gimmick. It's common in shonen anime and tolerable to some people in small doses, but I have talked to people who find it completely off-putting. I personally don't mind it if I am watching a comedy. and then only sparingly, for effect. FMA Drinking Game: Take a drink whenever Edward goes exaggerated face because someone calls him short. Oops, everyone dies of acute alcohol poisoning by the end of the first episode.

Let's rewind here for a second. I used a term most casual anime viewers might not be familiar with. Shonen. Strictly translated the word means "young boys" but it refers to the demographic roughly corresponding to boys in middle school. 7th, 8th, and 9th graders. They are the largest target demographic by viewing for anime and for sales for associated merchandising. You are asking how a bunch of kids can have that much financial clout. Partially it;s their parents buying it for them, partially it's them buying it with their own allowances, and partially it has to do with "phenomenon" titles which either have long runs or last beyond their airing and continue to make money. On "Otaku Row" in Akihabara", where every major manga publisher sells it's magazines plus special editions, collectables, assorted wares, ect. , there have only ever been two stores dedicated to a single manga/anime EVER. One is Bleach, the other is Naruto, both are shonen titles published by industry giant Weekly Shonen Jump.

The flip side is that the Japanese are not sure what to do about all this fantasy life that anime and manga are showing their kids. There is actually a term, Chuunibyou, meaning roughly "Middle School Syndrome" to describe kids who act like anything but good little cookie-cutter Japanese kids.

Kelly. I am sorry that you had this experience. You watched a few anime, some you didn't like, including one MAJOR turkey I warned you about (Rurouni Kenshin), and then you found one you did and decided on you limited experience that it was the greatest ever. The reason that Frogge and I and everyone else at the old place who watched all those animes over the years shared about them was for people like you who wanted to know whether something might appeal to them, whether something might be done well or done poorly. You are doing yourself a disservice by NOT watching any other anime because there are some incredible shows that you will probably enjoy, but you won't know unless you disabuse yourself of this idea that "FMA is the greatest and nothing can ever top it". Watch "Erased" it will blow your mind. Watch "Suki Suki"...it will probably break you for at least a week....
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:27 am

I usually like several Shonen manga and anime. But that leaves a lot that are too campy for my blood.

Chuunibyou actually goes a little further. The implied meaning behind it is someone who believes they are significantly stronger or more important than they actually are.

The excessive use of exaggerated angry face and jump to low quality animation whenever they're in retreat mode is off putting. But not so much that I'd give up on the series.

However, I agree that the claim of FMA being the "best anime ever" kinda smells of someone who has not watched much anime.

ETA: Oh gosh, Rurouni Kenshin. I couldn't make it more than 2 or 3 episodes into that one w/o giving up. I've heard that it gets better later on, but I could never make it that far.
Back to top Go down
frogge

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:32 pm

@vonnegut wrote:
Al not being able to eat food breaks my heart.
I suppose he can eat... he just can't digest. They could shovel some food in if they wanted to. Would just have to clean it out of his shoes later....

@TBC wrote:
Okay...tried to watch it, remembered why I dropped it the first time after about five minutes. It's the exaggerated face gimmick. It's common in shonen anime and tolerable to some people in small doses, but I have talked to people who find it completely off-putting. I personally don't mind it if I am watching a comedy. and then only sparingly, for effect. FMA Drinking Game: Take a drink whenever Edward goes exaggerated face because someone calls him short. Oops, everyone dies of acute alcohol poisoning by the end of the first episode.
I really don't mind that. In fact, I don't even notice much.

@TBC wrote:
Kelly. I am sorry that you had this experience. You watched a few anime, some you didn't like, including one MAJOR turkey I warned you about (Rurouni Kenshin), and then you found one you did and decided on you limited experience that it was the greatest ever. The reason that Frogge and I and everyone else at the old place who watched all those animes over the years shared about them was for people like you who wanted to know whether something might appeal to them, whether something might be done well or done poorly. You are doing yourself a disservice by NOT watching any other anime because there are some incredible shows that you will probably enjoy, but you won't know unless you disabuse yourself of this idea that "FMA is the greatest and nothing can ever top it". Watch "Erased" it will blow your mind. Watch "Suki Suki"...it will probably break you for at least a week....        
Wow, lot's of Kenshin hating going on!

I agree, except for the last part about "Suki suki"...

They say life is a smorgasbord to be enjoyed. I think this is especially true of entertainment. So personally I like to take a little of the best entertainment from all over the world. Why limit yourself to just the same ol' American schlock- all violence, good vs evil, and guns? Anime has some downsides (certain tropes, occasional misogyny, and lately a lot of pervy weirdness), but it also has many upsides (original stories especially in fantasy and scifi, greater creative control for the write/creator, and- most importantly- finite story arcs that know how they are going to unfold from the very beginning!). Everyone has different tastes, but in general I think anime has a lot to offer if you can tolerate its downsides.

I should probably start a thread with my top twenty....
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Falc0 wrote:
I usually like several Shonen manga and anime. But that leaves a lot that are too campy for my blood.

Well, there is campy and then there is Campy. I generally prefer Seinen titles, targeted at older teen boy and young men because they tend toward complex plotlines but some shonen shows do make for a fun ride.

Falc0 wrote:
Chuunibyou actually goes a little further. The implied meaning behind it is someone who believes they are significantly stronger or more important than they actually are.

Yeah. But in Japan anyone stepping out from the "herd" is deemed to be putting on airs. Is Yuuki delusional or just attempting to assert some independence by acting out a fantasy? In America it's an expectation, in Japan it's a national crisis. That nearly every kid grows out of it by the time they hit high school show that it's just a phase of youth, nothing to get excited about Abe-sama.

One anime which made good use of the "disorder" *ahem* was Chuunibyou, demo Koi ga Shiitai. It's about a boy who tries to escape his Chuunibyou past by starting over at a high school where nobody knows him. He wants a normal life, to do normal things, have normal friends, and get a normal girlfriend. This plan falls apart the first day when a girl he has never seen before calls him by his Chuunibyou name, "Dark Flame Master" in English. To make things worse, she lives directly downstairs from him and she's cuckoo for cocoa-nuts. Things go downhill from there, but it's a fun ride...

Falc0 wrote:
The excessive use of exaggerated angry face and jump to low quality animation whenever they're in retreat mode is off putting. But not so much that I'd give up on the series.

However, I agree that the claim of FMA being the "best anime ever" kinda smells of someone who has not watched much anime.

ETA: Oh gosh, Rurouni Kenshin. I couldn't make it more than 2 or 3 episodes into that one w/o giving up. I've heard that it gets better later on, but I could never make it that far.

"Historical" animes tend to have the worst track record. It's as if the writers are in competition to see who can mangle any given historical period to the greatest extent.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:27 am

@vonnegut wrote:

I have to admit that this isn't really selling it for me. I liked the original just fine, but not enough to watch it again, even if it is a considerably better version. I'll still read along in this thread though, and try to keep an open mind.

I think after i finish Star Trek Continues i'm going to try to post along in WartyOne's Doctor Who FW. I'll need your help, i think, vonne. It should be within a week. I don't remember how far my posts had gotten, but in the show i'd finished Empty Child and just started Doctor Dances.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:59 am

@vonnegut wrote:

I have to admit that this isn't really selling it for me. I liked the original just fine, but not enough to watch it again, even if it is a considerably better version. I'll still read along in this thread though, and try to keep an open mind.

I think after i finish Star Trek Continues i'm going to try to post along in WartyOne's Doctor Who FW. I'll need your help, i think, vonne. It should be within a week. I don't remember how far my posts had gotten, but in the show i'd finished Empty Child and just started Doctor Dances.

YESSSSSS.

You could also just have your own FW thread.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:00 am

[quote=TBC]All of TBC's posts[/quote]

Whatever hipster.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:29 am

Okay, I'm talking all the way to David now. The Mr. Mo David.

First off, Fuck Fred and everything he stands for. No disrespect TBC, but I have MASSIVE disrespect because as usual you have your head shoved so far up your ass that you can't look around to perceive reality.

My first anime was Trigun because my bff traded me that for Game of Thrones. So I watched it, and fell in love with Wolfwood, and thought it was a neat little story despite the anime weirdness.

And it broke down my prejudice walls and I thought, I'll try anime. And I did some interesting but mediocre stories (Samurai Champloo) and some really painfully trying-to-be-interesting stories (Cowboy Bebop) and some fucking terrible wannabe-avant-garde stories (FLCL), and some decent stories (Alnoah.Zero and Titans).

Then FMAB happened. And it was an AMAZING story.
Mo, you fucking know me. Right?
When do I get all hyped? When do I proselytize and go psycho with reccing? WHEN THE STORY IS FUCKING GOOD.

TBC can drone on his "shonen" categorization and act like he's way too cool for common cheap storytelling, but you fucking KNOW me.
And you know I don't fuck around with stories.
You know how I pissed and moaned and bitched around about how I don't read comic books, but when I got down to it and read Sandman, you know what happened.
That's how it is with FMAB.

Perhaps it does appeal to 14 year old boys. Whatever. I'm a 34 year old woman who still gets super geeked out about Doctor Who and Harry Potter and C. S. Lewis because I'm not worried about what demographic I'm supposed to like, I like a GOOD STORY.

FMAB is an amazing, incredible story. It blows my mind. I would challenge TBC to give to me the title of a better "anime," but apparently that doesn't work because he's into "slice of life" high-lit things about... I dunno... "life"... Hemingway stuff... whatever.

While FMAB has dynamic and well-developed characters, masterful world-building, fantastic dialogue, but the PLOT, the STORY, my GOD. If you've only watched FMA, you don't have the slightest idea of how fantastically crafted the REAL plot is. And how deftly woven the character development is.

And imma let you finish, but give me ANY anime that is as exciting and intriguing and monumental. This thing has SCOPE.
How bout it, TBC? Come at me, bro. Give me a title that has passion and pain and magic-with-rules and deep backstory and philosophical struggles and tons of action and tons of contemplation and is so exciting that I'll stay up all night just to see what happens.

Or carry on with your "shonen" shit, as I expect you will.

Mo, I will say, I made Crissy watch this, I made Ness watch this, and both of them LOST THEIR FUCKING MINDS over how good it is. It's "Game of Thrones" good. It's "Dark Tower" good. For fuck's sake, YOU KNOW ME, would I REALLY geek out this hard over something that wasn't THAT good?

The attention to detail alone, omg. Warty started Dr Who without my knowledge or rec, if he'd asked me for a rec I would have told him to DO THIS. It would have been Sandman-level analysis and appreciation because the material is THERE for that level of analysis.

I feel very strongly about this.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:33 am

@vonnegut wrote:
No disrespect TBC, but I have MASSIVE disrespect
How could anyone NOT love you?

Anyway, i will continue to keep an open mind about Brotherhood.

Every time i see the word Shonen, i think of Shonen Knife, the Japanese all-women (iirc) punk-pop-surf band that opened for Nirvana on what i think was their only big US tour after becoming insanely popular in the early 90s.

I have a ton of respect for TBC and for his opinions, but i'm also aware that he and i often enjoy very different things. So you don't have to worry that he's going to turn me away from the show. I can certainly understand trope fatigue, but that doesn't mean that i personally suffer from it to the point that i can't bear to enjoy a show that employs them.

I loved FMA. Just because you haven't yet sold me on a reboot doesn't mean you won't yet. In fact, Falco's somewhat in-depth explanation of the differences definitely intrigued me far more than all your hyperbole put together.

But there's something else going on. I wear my dad's ties to work all the time now, they're all mixed in with my ties now, they are my ties now. I know that seems like a weird barometer, but grief is a weird process. I'm ready to go back to Doctor Who now, and that has to take precedence over FMAB even if i were totally sold on it, which i'm not... yet. And i still have a couple episodes of Star Trek Continues to finish. Which, by the way, is pretty amazing if you liked TOS - i liked TOS, by no means a rabid fan, and this is basically just a bunch more episodes of it, i think of it as essentially a fourth season and it still takes place before the films. Each episode is really quite strong though; i felt like TOS had a stinker or two thrown in, STC doesn't.
Back to top Go down
frogge

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Mr Mo, I have to agree with vonne here. FMA:B is better than FMA and is worth it. and she really does a great job enumerating all the positive pints of the show. That said, Dr Who is also good, so feel free to circle back around in the future when you have more free time.

I also agree with TBC that there is a wealth of great shows in anime. However, I do think FMA:B is near the top. It really exemplifies what good fiction can be.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:19 pm

In fact, Falco's somewhat in-depth explanation of the differences definitely intrigued me far more than all your hyperbole put together.

Thanks.

On another note, I was considering switching to more of a brief summary, but if these write-up's are useful to someone, I'll keep going.

Episode 3 "City of Hersey"

The brothers are at a food stand in Liore eating lunch and listening to the priest's sermon on the radio.

They accidentally break the shop owner's radio and fix it with alchemy (foreshadowing, Chekhov's gun).

They hear stories from townspeople that the priest can resurrect the dead.

At the church, the brothers see the priest perform alchemy w/o equivalent exchange. They believe he is using a philosopher's stone.

The brothers enter the church of Leto and ask to speak with the Priest.

A follower inside the church tells Ed that if he becomes a believer, he will surely grow taller. Ed has another short meltdown.

Ed explains to the follower that Alchemists are scientists and don't believe in God. They are seekers of the truth and because of the works they perform, they are the closest thing to Gods.

The priest, Father Cornello, recognizes the name Elric as a State Alchemist and orders an ambush on the brothers. The brothers easily thwart the attack and we find out the follower's name is Rose.

The priest confronts the boys and says he's not performing alchemy but works of God. Ed doesn't believe him and says he must be using a philosopher's stone.

The priest orders Rose to use the gun nearby to shoot the brothers and in return he'll bring her dead boyfriend back to life.

Rose doesn't have the heart to kill anyone, so the priest releases a Chimera that he's created on the boys.

Ed transutates a weapon from the stone floor w/o a circle and the priest recognizes his ability.

Ed easily defeats the Chimera, but between Al's armor and Ed's automail arm, he knows they have committed taboo.

The priest transmutates his cane into a mini-gun and opens fire on the room. Al uses his armor body to shield Rose and Ed transmutates a door into the wall. They escape.

Ed leads the priest into a trap where he gets him to admit that he's been using the philosopher's stone as "works of God" to trick followers into becoming blind believers who will do anything for him.

Al had used transmutation to change the church bell into a giant speaker and microphone (remember the radio earlier?) and the priest's words were broadcast across the city.

Ed and the priest battle. The priest claims to be the fist of God. Ed transmutates a giant statue of God in the church so its fist crushes the priest.

The philosopher's stone becomes overused and disintegrates. Ed realizes it was a fake and is now powerless w/o it, so he lets the priest go.

Rose shows up and holds the brothers at gunpoint because she wants the philosopher's stone. Ed breaks the bad news to Al and Rose that it was a fake.

Ed tells Rose that the dead can't be brought back to life. She needs to move forward with her life and live for herself.

The priest is holed up in his church from an angry mob.

Lust and Gluttony show up and kill the priest since they are now "done with him".

Lust has a magic circle on her chest and Gluttony has one on his tongue.

Lust is able to transmutate her glove into a long piercing weapon.

Lust states that since their plans in that city are ruined, their "father" is going to be angry with them.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:56 pm

I'm liking them, but maybe throw them under a spoiler tag for anyone who feels like first-watching but hasn't gotten there yet.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:51 pm

Nah I say forgo the spoiler tags. I saw it was episode 3 and immediately skipped over the post which I'll read after seeing episode 3. I think people are seasoned enough to know that other people are posting about facts---as well as interpretations. A whole bunch of spoiler tags are deeply unaesthetic.

Last edited by davidalan on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Function > Aesthetic

But, as this is your thread, fine, no tags :p
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:56 pm

It's not my thread. I may have bitten first as you put it. But I'm certainly not keeping ahead of the other participants. It's your thread if it's anyone's. But as for me, I do need to keep up better. I'm watching a lot of shows that vie for my time.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Watch a couple episodes tonight.

I might do the next few as well.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:21 am

Episode 3: City of Heresy

I already think Falc0's post will be more rewarding because I didn't like this episode very much. The villain while fake was also dull and the would be victim girl was just too whiny to function. Plus if the would-be Philosopher's Stone was fake, it was what then? A gift? A gift from Lust and Gluttony whose end-of-episode arrival was the very best part. Lust is so cool. And I was almost glad Gluttony got a proper meal. Meanwhile I guess The FMA read the Greek classics in school. You'd think there would be a comparable Asian tale he could have quoted. He played that story so cool and yet he has tantrums when people mistake his much cooler brother as The FMA. Get a grip, Ed. I guess the purpose of this episode was for the Bros to seek The Stone to restore their bodies, but the lesson learned was barely anything worth watching.

Also in terms of artistic design, there was just too much of the change from figures' regular shape to that half drawn friendly ghost moment when they're fleeing or being clobbered or whatever. It's actually pretty weak.

The temple or what have you where father whatshisname resides had a semi-hidden face on it and I thought that concept might go somewhere.

Here's what I wished. I wished Rose the whiner could have been a more serious guide into this city of heresy and when the Father was discovered to be a fraud that she flipped out not a sad little person but as a raging angel from hell and blast the Father into a state where Gluttony could rolly-polly his way into the scene and eat him while Lust made her stellar remarks.

Oh and I thought the word Chimera was familiar. A nice rendition as it turned out.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:14 am

GOODIE MORE EPISODE

And by the way. The word Chimera does mean something.

And Boonian-- I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry.

When I watched ep 4, I had to ask the person who rec'ed it, "Does shit like this happen again" and I was assured it did not.

Nothing in this entire show is as brutal as what happens in ep 4. So, don't let it stop you from watching the show. What happens in ep 4, it is actually the worst and everything else is not that bad, so it's okay.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 am

@davidalan wrote:
Episode 3: City of Heresy

... but the lesson learned was barely anything worth watching.

This is exactly what prompted me to ask about switching to a brief summary. Other than finding out fake stones are being distributed and Lust & Gluttony are behind some plan that their "father" will be upset about going poorly, the rest of the episode was a throw away.  There may be some value in Ed's words to Rose being also aimed at himself, but it didn't need a whole episode to get there.

Quote :
Also in terms of artistic design, there was just too much of the change from figures' regular shape to that half drawn friendly ghost moment when they're fleeing or being clobbered or whatever. It's actually pretty weak.

This is one of the things TBC is complaining about (shonen) and I also mention. It's off putting, but so far it's not enough for me to throw the series away.

Yep, 4 is brutal. I watched it several days ago but I didn't have the drive to do a write up over Easter.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:58 pm

episode 4: an alchemist's anguish

much better than episode 3. the outcome was doubly tragic because the story itself was worthy of it. equally good is the assassin alchemist on his rampage. i like his speeches and i like that he would have restored the chimera to its previous life if he could. but i didn't mind at all that he dispatched the obsessed father who was obsessed or not a total prick. i thought he had a wandering eye toward ed as a victim for a sec. but really the father was just inserting his own justification into ed and al's narrative. meanwhile you have to wonder just how many people have gone missing in the area. there were after all a lot of cages and a lot of experimental creatures. i assume ed will be on the assassin's list, and will triumph. but i wouldn't mind a few more assassinations before the final meeting.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Yui, Again. FMA:B OP

To get a voice like that, what would it take? Maybe an arm and a leg? ;-P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   

Back to top Go down

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum