HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 am

Excellent analysis.

Just as with Armstrong, it's ok for comic refief in small doses, but starts to wear thin when it's a main character.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Episode 14: Those Who Lurk Underground

An excellent episode. First Mustang walks with swagger through a hallway of gossiping wannabes. Then he learns that Bradley is strangely in the south.

Bradley leads Armstrong and others in the south in an attempt to rescue the bros. But there's more than that going on.

Bradley ends up in a battle with Greed, and they seem evenly matched. No. Bradley is more capable. Whaaaaaaaaat????? No I already predicted why, not why this event, but who Bradley really is.

Bradley, in fact, during the battle with Greed, loses his eyepatch and there is the mark! An interesting location. I'll have to look at the other marks and see if location is a motif. Lust I think was over her heart. A polite and symbolic place for the mark, no doubt. Oh I see: Greed's in on his hand. Logically, Gluttony's would be on the gut. Envy? Sloth? Pride? Will have to look.

During the battle between Greed and he who would be Wrath, Al has a nice scene where he tries to protect Martel from what Al thinks is Bradley dispatching lowly enemies. Al fails to protect Martel and feels all sorts of remorse. But this event also triggers Al's memories about seeing The Truth and we get a lot of imagery through Al, including a fleeting meeting with his mother, and the disintegration of Al's former body. Al later relates his regained memory to Ed, but says he didn't learn anything about how to restore their bodies. Al seems resigned to this for the time being. They go off to the next episode, but Ed admits some suspicion about why Bradley needed to be in the south at all. Similar suspicion comes from Izumi but only facially and only after Bradley leaves. He has offered her a post as a state alchemist. Did Bradley learn that Izumi has also visited The Truth? That would be the best reason why Bradley's paying her any attention.

Armstrong has a nice moment where he tries to tell the bros about Hughes. He can't quite do it. He warns Ed not to be rash. Then Armstrong goes off. But more interesting to me is that Armstrong is wearing bandages over his head, including over his eye. It's the eye opposite that of Bradley's covered eye. I think this is a clever visual juxtaposition of the good and decent Armstrong with the evil and duplicitous Bradley.

Meanwhile, down in the sewer depths there's a gathering. Much of the gang, as Greed calls them, is there. But Greed is trussed up above the rest of the them. Lust is there. Gluttony. Envy. And the newest sibling Wrath. Father is there too. Now is Father just Father or is he also Pride? It would make sense if he was. But I think Father's is looking for a Pride just as he has recently found a Wrath. I would almost say Ed is a good candidate, what with body parts missing after dubious alchemy practices, but Ed is being mentioned as a sacrifice for what I assume is the philosopher's stone, but we'll see. But before all that, Father asks Greed to rejoin the fold, but Greed, who's a bit of a whackjob, scoffs at Father's invite, and is burned away while doing some delicious last breath screaming and taunting. Father drinks Greed's liquefied essence. So does this mean no more Greed ever? Or will there be Greed2 in the future? Don't know. But there is a Sloth, who appears to be engaging in some sort of Sisyphus work torture because he's slothful otherwise? I guess Father has no control over all of his creations, so that some are helpful according to their names while others (Greed and maybe Sloth) drift too far away due to the nature of their own identities. If Father can't find a genuine use for Sloth, and could not entice Greed back with greater riches, then Father is a bit of a hack. Unless of course Father is Pride, and Pride always sees himself as best.

Envy may have a mark on her/his thigh? The only reference I think of is Dionysus being born from Zeus' thigh. Dionysus always seemed a lesser God than Zeus himself or Apollo or Athena or Aphrodite, so maybe that's it.

The end of the episode seems ominous, where Bradley's wife and son greet him at the ranch. The son gets all excited about Ed the youngest state alchemist. Bradley whispers an aside about his son being useful someday. So you have to wonder, what's up with that.

Bradley is a quieter sort of wrath than one would expect. His anger and destruction seem more calculating than explosive, but of course he does kill with icy ease, and he has inflicted unspeakable horrors in the civil war and probably elsewhere, so perhaps it's the sight of destruction that gets his juices juiced. Is this his own identity, or Father's instructions? And why would you need someone to infiltrate human ranks except that Father is afraid of eventual human insight? We'll see...
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Episode 15: Envoy from the East

A truly horrible episode with very dull new characters. The only good moments were a couple of Scar scenes and Hawkeye taking care of Barry the Butcher in a dark alley. And then Mustang questioning Barry about events.

Plus, is episode 15 the beginning of a new season, because the opening sequence has not merely been altered but mutilated. Why must shows do this? The original opening was perfect. This new opening is nauseating.

Oh the Silver Alchemist resembled the top hat dude from Monopoly. twister
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Lust's tattoo is actually between her breasts (it's Lust, not Love-- not over-the-heart :p ).

Gluttony on the tongue.

Envy is on the thigh, I believe?

Greed on the hand.

Wrath on the eye.

You have yet to see Sloth and Pride, I believe.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Oh, then I read the rest of your post-- yes, you did get a glimpse of Sloth.

Re: Hawkeye, there are sometimes strings of episodes where she isn't seen much, but you'll get a lot more awesomeness and more backstory for her. Her character / motivations fill out well as the show goes on. She's the best <3

Re: Your musings about Father and all of that is fun. No spoilers from me, but keep thinking about these things. And about what Sloth is up to.

Re: Ep 15, yeah, it's pretty *yawn*-worthy. Things are about to seriously heat up, though. No pun intended.
And, while May (little Chinese girl) is prob my least favorite and most useless character, Ling (chinese guy who eats a lot and has the two bodyguards) gets very cool and is one of my favorites.
I like his girl bodyguard, too, Lan Fan.

You'll get used to the new opening. I think S4 has the best opening, though S1 is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Episode 12 – “One is All, All is One”

The boys arrive by train in Dublith, home of their old teacher. They’re afraid of what she’ll say when she finds out about their taboo.

At her home, her husband answers the door and comments on how they’ve grown. He asks her (Izumi) to come out and she says she’s feeling better today. The boys are worried that she’s ill, the front door flies open and she kicks Ed across the street.

She’s not happy that he’s become the “military’s dog”. She offers a hand to Al but instead of shaking it, she throws him to the ground. She tells the boys that she’s feeling fine, then pukes blood.

She tells the boys that she knows nothing of the philosopher’s stone but someone else asked about it, Hohenheim. The boys now have confirmation that their father is alive and is also seeking the stone.

Flashback to their dad leaving home. Then another scene where they find their mother dead.

Back in real time, Izumi punches Ed in the head to wake him from his day dream and exclaims that it’s time for dinner.

At dinner, Al relates the story of a baby being born in Rush Valley and the husband gives a weird look to Izumi.

Flashback to when the boys were young, during heavy rain the river is flooding and townspeople are sandbagging the area. The sandbags give way and Izumi arrives just in time to transmutate a levee wall, saving the town. (why didn’t someone do that in the first place to create a good levee?)

The townsfolk ask who she is, “Just a housewife passing by”, pukes more blood.

The boys ask her to be their teacher, she refuses at first but gives in when she finds out they are orphans.

She leaves the boys alone on a forested island to begin their training. They must survive on their own for 1 month and ponder what “one is all, all is one” means.

Being hungry, the boys set a snare and catch a rabbit. Neither one can bring themselves to kill it and a fox runs off with their quarry. They chase the fox but give up when they see the fox feeding her cubs. Onto fishing. Without tackle they can’t figure out how to catch anything and when nearly starved, Ed begins to eat ants. He realizes that he continues to live because he consumes other life.

They now successfully hunt, fish, trap, and make fire. The fox cubs come to them for food (brothers without a mother).

Izumi returns for the boys and they explain the circular flow of the universe. All things are connected, it takes one thing to make another, alchemy.

Back at Izumi’s home, she spars with both boys while reading aloud from a text book: The basis of transmutation is the circulation of power, represented by the circle. In order to call upon and harness this power, one must draw a structural matric over the circle.

Al puts together that Izumi doesn’t need a circle to transmutate.

Back in real time, Ed understands that Izumi has seen the “truth” also, which is why she doesn’t need a circle.

Izumi spars with the boys and confirms her suspicions that Al is an empty suit of armor and Ed has several automail limbs and can transmutate w/o a circle. She knows he’s seen the “truth” also.

Flashback to Izumi attempting taboo to bring back her stillborn child (weird look from husband earlier). She lost some internal organs in the exchange.

Back in real time, she realizes she should have told the boys instead of keeping it a secret.

The boys try to blow it off as no big deal, but Izumi tells them it’s OK to hurt.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Episode 13 – “Beasts of Dublith”

Izumi tells the boys she can’t accept what they’ve done, she they’re expelled. She tells them to go home.

At the train station, the boys are about to leave when the husband arrives to tell them that since they are no longer students, they are free to speak to Izumi as equals. Ed can’t believe he didn’t figure it out himself and they race back to see Izumi. Husband yells “don’t let her kill you”.

Ed opens the door and Izumi throws a knife at his head. The boys tell her they need help getting their bodies back and aren’t leaving.

Izumi tells them that even though Al can’t remember anything from the taboo event, he must have seen a great deal more than herself or Ed because he traded his whole body in the exchange. They just need to get his memory back. She says she knows someone who may be able to help.

Some sort of lizard man (chimera?) was eavesdropping at the window and now knows that Izumi and Ed can transmutate a human soul.

Back at East City Command, Mustang is playing chess with his commander, General “?”. The General lets him win as a parting gift and requests some other “gifts”, 5 soldiers to take with him to central:
• Master Sergeant Kain Fury
• Warrant Officer Vato Falman
• Second Lieutenant Heymons Breda
• Second Lieutenant Jean Havoc
• First Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye
(this structure is odd, normally a Col would have as an assistant a Lt Col or a Major, dragging around a 1st Lt is unusual)

Havoc says he has an issue, he just started dating a girl and he really likes her. Mustang commands him to dump her.

Scar is trying to rehabilitate himself in the slums where he was rescued. Scar’s old master arrives and tells him that he needs to end the senseless revenge.

Some men burst in, it turns out Yoki is living in the same slums and turned him in for a bounty. Scar annihilates the men. His old master tells him that his brother would be disappointed.

We get a good look at Scar’s arm tattoo: TERRA A Ndan s colia

Yoki makes a run for it.

Al is sweeping outside and receives a mysterious note. He goes to the “Devil’s Nest” establishment where he’s ambushed by a group of chimera. They take him to Greed who has an Oroboros on his hand. Al doesn’t believe there are chimera who can talk, but Greed tells him there’s a whole shadow military below what he sees doing odd things.

Greed says he’s not a chimera but a homunculus, an artificially created person. As proof a chimera knocks off Greed’s head and it grows right back.

Greed is interested in Al’s soul bonded to armor because it’s the perfect recipe for immortality. Greed is nearly 200 years old, but not immortal. (how long have these people been running around causing problems?)

Al says he can’t help them because he didn’t do it. Just outside, Ed is searching for Al and a chimera leads him to the building.

Ed tells Greed he should just ask his “friends” because they have souls bonded to armor. Greed says he didn’t know and they don’t talk much anymore.

Greed says he’ll teach them to make a homunculus body if Ed teaches him how to bond a soul. Equivalent exchange of information.

Ed loses his cool and attacks, but can’t get through the hardened shield Greed creates around his body. Greed cuts Ed’s side and he is weakening from loss of blood.

Izumi and her husband find the broom in an alley. A townsperson says he saw a blonde boy go into the “Devil’s Nest”.

Ed is not more heavily injured than before. Ed realizes Greed has a normal body (mostly made of carbon) so the armor must be carbon. Ed transmutates the diamond to pencil lead and he can now injure Greed. Greed backs off saying that Ed won’t last long losing that much blood.

Izumi bursts in the door and scolds Ed for not putting the broom away then kicks Greed across the room.

Greed asks who she is and Izumi replies “A passing housewife”.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:19 pm

@davidalan wrote:
Episode 13: The Beasts of Dublith

Meanwhile Scar departs from his sanctuary after being betrayed by a definite loser. But Scar finishes off his would-be abductors and goes off to continue his destiny. The loser has a grudge against Ed. I guess we'll find out what that is later.

That loser is Lieutenant Yoki. We see his file in episode 4 while Mustang's men are catching up on paperwork. He had embezzled funds from coal mines and the Elric brothers exposed him, he’s now on the run.

We also see his face on wanted posters at train stations.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:30 pm

@Falco wrote:

Back at East City Command, Mustang is playing chess with his commander, General “?”. The General lets him win as a parting gift and requests some other “gifts”, 5 soldiers to take with him to central:
• Master Sergeant Kain Fury
• Warrant Officer Vato Falman
• Second Lieutenant Heymons Breda
• Second Lieutenant Jean Havoc
• First Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye
(this structure is odd, normally a Col would have as an assistant a Lt Col or a Major, dragging around a 1st Lt is unusual)

Well, Mustang and Hawkeye are unusual.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 am

@davidalan wrote:

Envy may have a mark on her/his thigh? The only reference I think of is Dionysus being born from Zeus' thigh. Dionysus always seemed a lesser God than Zeus himself or Apollo or Athena or Aphrodite, so maybe that's it.

Athena was born in a similar way.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 am

She was a bitch of a headache.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Yep poor Zeus. I think Envy is closer to Dionysus than to Athena which is why the thigh image works, if that was the source. Father doesn't seem the type to have anything sprout from his own head, creating a wisdom deity who might in essence rival himself. Father is too self-serving, which I why I pondered whether he might be Pride.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:13 pm

I remember thinking the same thing.

What ep are you on now?
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:10 pm

37. which i why i know certain things now! i'll pick a time to comment on my next episodes (16 etc) but right now i feel like zooming through the episodes. i'll try to post commentary at least once later today.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:25 pm

THIRTY SEVEN!?!?!?!

AND NO COMMENTS?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm

TRY NOT TO WATCH ANY MORE EPISODES ON YOUR WAY TO THE PARKING LOT!
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Clerks. Nice

37, oh boy. I've been watching other series trying to not get too far ahead. Looks like I'll have a marathon coming up.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Seriously I'm only on like 25 or something with Jason.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Really I'm just upset because ARE WE SERIOUSLY NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT THIS:

BRO CAUTERIZED HIS OWN FUCKING WOUNDS AND THEN CARVED A CIRCLE INTO THE BACK OF HIS HAAAAAAAND.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 pm

You've met Hohenheim, and no comments!?!?!

LAN FAN CUT OFF HER FUCKING ARM AS A DECOY AND GLUTTONY SWALLOWED LIKE EVERYONE AND ENVY IS ACTUALLY A HUGE GREEN MONSTER AND XERXES WAS DESTROYED BY A GIANT TRANSMUTATION CIRCLE AND LING BECAME THE NEW GREED AND HAWKEYE HAD THE SECRETS OF FLAME ALCHEMY TATTOOED ON HER BACK AND KIMBLEE IS OUT OF JAIL AND YOU'RE ALL UP IN THE TERRIBLY BORING WALL STORYLINE AND WE ARE GOING TO TALK ABOUT NONE OF THIS?

You're so fucking fired, Boonian. I shun you.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Hey for me at least it takes different energy just to watch something than to discuss it coherently. My energy shifted to following the show itself! None of your little Edward demonstrations will change my mind! So QUIT SHUNNING ME! I SHUN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides you should take it as a compliment that I followed a show you recommended and left you in the dust. Geez learn to recognize and accept compliments for a change. There's more to life than stupid Negan. tap
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:44 pm

@davidalan wrote:

Besides you should take it as a compliment that I followed a show you recommended and left you in the dust.

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:55 pm

But seriously we need to talk about all of those things.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:30 pm

hahaha and okay

meanwhile:

Rewatch of the Firstwatch:

Episode 16: Footsteps of a Comrade in Arms

Again stupid intro. So disappointing. The first one should be the only one.

Ed and Al And Winry chat while stupid little prince's helpers search high and low for that slippery one. There's a nice scene of the prince though, standing high up and over looking the city while a breeze makes his ponytail flap. That view and other views of the city is actually foreshadowing, now that I'm way ahead in the story. This show is actually very clever.

What's his name's guarding Barry and winning at chess while Havoc enters with the announcement that he has a new girlfriend. I knew it wouldn't take long.

I like how Ed and Al run by the murder phone booth.

Meanwhile the Envy impersonation is just delicious.

Mustang and Armstrong meet in the bathroom. Some groovy slash material there. But more seriously Armstrong admits that he couldn't tell the bros about Hughes' death. Mustang conveys that Philosophers Stones are derived from living people. This shocks Armstrong to the nth. Hawkeye chides Mustang for not telling them. But! Ross spills the beans right away!

Winry ends up at the Hughes' house. Before entering the Hughes' house, Al makes a declaration that if other people get hurt, he won't want to get his body back. Mrs. Hughes, however, offers sage advice.

A nice scene follows where Envy initially disguised as Havoc or a Havoc-type chats with Lust while Gluttony feeds caged chimeras. Envy seeing Gluttony's discarded bones concocts an idea of diverting Mustang from digging deeper into Hughes' death and other matters they don't want unearthed. They arrange to frame Ross for the murder of Hughes, which seems silly except that most of the humans in this story are dim and easily swayed. But Mustang asks Hawkeye to get all the data on Ross. At about the same time though, Havoc buys a bouquet of roses for his new girl. She's waiting for him at a café. Havoc rubs his cigarette against the bottom of his shoe, putting it out. He calls his girlfriend Solaris(?). She says sit down and tell me about your day. It's Lust of course, and everybody with a brain knows that, but Havoc's job is to be adorable, and sometimes you don't need brains for that.

But why the name Solaris? I wondered for awhile, and then in a later episode I came up with an ironic reason.

Last edited by davidalan on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 pm

@davidalan wrote:

Mustang and Armstrong meet in the bathroom. Some groovy slash material there.

55 55 55

Quote :
It's Lust of course, and everybody with a brain knows that, but Havoc's job is to be adorable, and sometimes you don't need brains for that.

He *IS* adorable, isn't he? <3 Havoc <3

See, this is the commentary I need.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:17 am

Further Rewatch of the Firstwatch:

episode 17: Cold Flame

Such an obvious sham in accusing Ross of Hughes' murder that I roll my eyes. Ross counters that she fired her gun to help the bros in the 5th laboratory. Of course the 5th laboratory is now part of the 5th dimension, so the inquisitor merely scoffs at Ross. He's a total dick. Meanwhile Brosh (sp?) confides in Armstrong, who was just denied entry into the Ross interrogation room, that his own report corroborates Ross in that both of them fired shots in the 5th laboratory. Armstrong draws his conclusions. Meanwhile everybody's learning through the paper that Ross is in trouble. Ed and Al run off to do something to help.

We now switch to the silly prince who's in jail. He's so silly it's nauseating. But in an initially confusing moment, Barry waltzes right into the prison and takes a ton of bullets. Lame, lame, lame, he exclaims. He's kind of a hoot. Barry releases the silly prince because we can't have all that silliness locked away for no one to see! Barry breaks into to Ross's cell. He has great lines but my favorite is: You're one guilty looking soldier girl. She leaves with Barry and silly prince. Orders are now shoot to kill. Part of me hopes they miss her and hit the silly prince. But what happens instead is:

MUSTANG INCINERATES HER!!!!

Ed gets all mad and wants to beat up Mustang (as if). Al holds him back (the little pipsqueak that he is) and as information is shared and speculations are made, Ed just stares at Mustang with furious anger in his eye. Later, the coroner appears and chastises Mustang for turning Ross into a flambee. Armstrong apologizes for Ross's actions. Mustang comments that Armstrong needs a vacation in the east. Sure. Later Hawkeye rather angrily submits leave papers herself.

Now we jump to Barry and what's his name and silly prince. It's clear by the exchange between Barry and what's his name that this was all a ruse. Silly prince creates a signal fire. His pals show up.

Meanwhile Mustang talks to Elizabeth on the phone. The conversation is clearly in code.

Armstrong abducts Ed and they board a train. Mustang learns of this and smiles wryly.

Lust and Envy have a chat. Envy shows Lust a picture of Barry as the one who was seen with Lt Ross or some such info like that. After some other words, Lust and Envy look at a cage and one of them calls the creature in it Barry. Strange.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:34 am

LMFAO Silly Prince.

Has Ling grown on you now? I didn't like him at first, but he became awesome to me.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:41 am

He's better but I can decide whether it's plot contrivance or he's been intentionally exhibiting a mask of stupidity.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:45 am

Well, I think he's genuinely a fucking goofball.

But that doesn't mean he's not kind of great, in his own very special way.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:45 am

And how amazing is Mustang?

Are you in love?

You're in love, aren't you.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:38 am

Mustang's great. I wish there was more of him.

The silly prince is best when he loses his way.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:06 am

Oh, you'll get more Mustang. The Stupid Wall story arc is bad in a lot of ways but mostly because Mustang gets backburnered for a while. He'll return with a bang.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:19 pm

The Stupid Wall! I was expecting to see Jon Snow moping in a corner somewhere!
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:26 pm

LMFAO The Wall is the woooooorrrrsssst.

I would have warned you about it, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE CLOSE :p

Don't worry, though. Once we leave the Wall, which should be fairly soon for you, the show just gets better and better up until the climax.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:40 pm

If anyone is interested, there is a Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood rewatch subreddit. You could see what others though about the episodes you've already watched.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/559rhx/fullmetal_alchemist_brotherhood_rewatch_schedule/

I haven't read any of them yet.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:36 pm

episode 18: The Arrogant Palm of the Small Human

Ed and Armstrong take the train to Resembool. After they disembark, Ed of course complains to Armstrong that he feels kidnapped. Armstrong reassures Ed that he himself doesn't have a lot of information. While walking though they meet Breda who has for however long been sitting on a short roadside wall with his suitcase and ready for travel.

Meanwhile back at the hotel, Al and Winry worry and all that. But through the open window the silly prince appears and reassures them that Ed is quite fine.

Then a jump to the desert where Ed is sweating profusely and looking generally miserable. They being guided. Finally they all arrive at ruins. Ed soaks in water. Then says they're in Xerxes: It's just like the fable describes it. Xerxes, later destroyed, was the origin of Alchemy. The only survivor wandered west and was called the Eastern Sage. The guide relates a similar fable, where a wanderer came from the west into the east and was called the Western Sage. In the East, he spread the idea of Alchehistory and is revered. East or West, Xerxes is the center point. As they all walk further, Ed looks up and sees familiar or mysterious drawings. Further still, Ed hears his name called. It's Lt Ross! Ed is very calm and actually thinks good thoughts about Mustang, but Armstrong gets all shirt tearing excited and chases Lt Ross in circles, to give her one of Armstrong's famous mushy hugs.

Breda and Ed talk. Breda flashbacks to the creation of the plan to get Ross out of town. Mustang is sitting at his desk still believing apparently in Ross's guilt. Breda is standing there. Then there's a phone call---from Barry! But Mustang moves the conversation to the murder phone (because no outside phones are bugged!) and makes Barry a deal. Mustang then sends Breda off with a list of ingredients to make a fake corpse.

The scene jumps to the torching alley where Ross while running meets Mustang. We see the real events. Mustang pulls out a dummy corpse and sets it on fire. He then takes Ross's dog tags and chars them too. He then tosses Ross into the convenient bin or whatever with all the dummy corpses in it (in case they needed more than one?). There Ross all stunned sees Havoc appear through a hole in the wall. Ed arrives and gets into it with Mustang. Ross and Havoc hear some of the discussion before they run off.

Back to Xerxes: Breda tells of Mustang's plan to use Barry to draw out the puppeteer who framed Lt Ross for Hughes' murder.

Back in the hotel room: Silly prince tells Al and Winry about the frame up of Ross and what other events he knows about. Meanwhile Silly Prince's aide is listening outside the window. Silly Prince agreed to help Barry with jailbreak and general rampage if Barry would disclose the secrets of immortality. But Barry says All the science guys who made me are dead. You should ask that Alfonse kid. He's just a soul glued to metal. Hahahaha. So funny. Al stalls.

Back in Xerxes, there is further discussion about the Hughes murder and Ross frame up. Pictures of Lust and Envy and Greed(?) and important designs are displayed. Ed has a speech, and Ross decides on Qing as a place of exile. She decides not to have a message sent to her parents, as it would endanger them. She heads across the desert to Qing with the guide and others.

Back at Central, Mustang has another flirty exuberant phone call. What's going on is that the real Barry attacks metal Barry and what's his name. Havoc appears and starts shooting. They draw real Barry outside where Hawkeye must clip real Barry because Havoc's gun jams (performance anxiety?).
All of this is being communicated to Mustang in rather flimsy code. Metal Barry recognizes real Barry and has a laugh.

Back in Xerxes, Ed looks at the familiar or mysterious ruin designs and recognizes them as something he's seen before somewhere I don't remember and a lot of Ed does doesn't interest me all that much. But he is attacked by an Ishvalan (sp?) who Ed quickly subdues. Other Ishvalans appear from behind the ruins. The old lady helped by a kid tells all the Ishvalans who would hold Ed hostage to knock it off, because they dishonor Ishvala. The kid tells Ed of the doctors who helped him and the old gal during the Ishvalan war. Ed himself identifies the doctors as the Rockbells, Winry's parents. Ed learns that Scar murdered them, even though they had helped Scar after he was wounded.

Back to metal Barry. He is now eager to cut up real Barry. Well, both Barrys are nuts. Meanwhile, Hawkeye up in the tower, and while talking to Mustang about customers, hears a strange noise, and turns around to witness Gluttony waddle out of the shadows. She shoots him. But Gluttony quickly recovers and makes himself looks larger than life.

This is one of those episodes where a lot of things happen and they're interesting but the episode itself isn't what you'd call great. It's good, particularly in plot and action. If there's a problem, it's that everyone's more interesting than Ed. Even the silly prince has better lines.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:46 pm

That episode has one of the most unintentionally funny scenes in it.

At the end of the Xerxes stuff, Ed is sitting around giving an angsty monologue for like FIVE MINUTES and all of these grown ass people just sit around kind of smiling vacantly and listening to it. I cannot watch that scene without cracking up. Like, HOW is no one smacking him to shut him up after five seconds?
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:42 am

One thing I know I'd want to do is be the guy who in the middle of the episode makes the deep announcement with a couple of character pictures, so I will:

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 am

LMFAO I LOVE THAT GUY.

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST.... FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST!!!
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Episode 19: Death of the Undying

Well, this episode is the best. Wall to wall with action and revelation and specifically a battle royale that was spectacular. But beyond the dramatic, this episode had its humorous moments too. Particularly involving the two sadly departed.

First of all though we get a brief intro before the credits. Lots of gunfire inside the tower where Hawkeye is stationed. Mustang starts screaming through the phone, and then slams it down with resolve.

Then the still boring intro credits.

We return to the hotel where silly prince is explaining to Al and Winry about what Barry was screaming about. Al recognizes the fifth laboratory and then gets up from his pretty weighed down bed and sets off to help. Silly prince gets all excited: Not so fast! Tell me your secret first! But that's not good enough, so when Al leaves and tells silly prince I'll tell you later, silly prince goes all millennial pouty.

After the title of the episode is shown, we return to the tower to see Hawkeye engaged in a life or lunch struggle with Gluttony. Blood's everywhere. Gluttony's blood. But he's still as alive as ever, while Hawkeye is out of ammo. All our all done now, asks Gluttony. It's time to eat you. And just as Gluttony prepares for the big gulp, while displaying the Ouroboros tattoo on his tongue, Hawkeye's little dog jumps up really high and bites Gluttony on the back of the neck, I guess. It's hard to tell where a part of Gluttony begins and ends. Hawkeye gets thrown. And Gluttony squirms around, not knowing what to do with a pesky little fellow who's taking a bite of him, or a tickle really, as Gluttony says. At this moment, Fury shows up, tosses Hawkeye a weapon, and both of them start shooting. Quickly though, they run out of bullets. Gluttony recovers, and says: Goodie, goodie. Now I can have dinner and desert. But just then, fire launches Gluttony through the tower wall or window and onto a neighboring roof. Mustang. Hawkeye gets all mad at Mustang for blowing his cover of secrecy, but I really don't think this plan was fooling those that matter anyway, so she's just wasting energy. In truth she's grateful, but is such a soldier sometimes.

Meanwhile, Barry's chasing his former body down there on the street. Fury's ordered to clean up, while Mustang and Hawkeye pursue the two Barrys. While driving after Barry and Barry, Mustang and Hawkeye pick up Havoc and Al, who handily are on the same road. The back seat's very cramped. Barry’s chasing himself and insists on catching him(self). Al discloses to the others in the car that Gluttony’s a homunculus and probably is still alive, which causes Mustang to lose control of the wheel for a sec and nearly crash into Barry. Barry yells at Mustang. It’s all pretty funny. Then Mustang has a great line: Just a never-ending parade of freaks.

Then. Then. Then. One of the best visuals in the entire series. Here’s a dark corner around which is the entrance to the third laboratory. First Hawkeye, then Mustang just above her, then Havoc just above him, then Barry above him but in a grotesquely perpendicular way, the Al above him---their heads are all peaking around the corner and our pov is looking right at them as this tower of heads and eyes appear one after the next. It’s so great. The best part might be Havoc’s expression as weirdo Barry appears right above him. Not a place I would want to find Barry. No sir. But I howl every time I see this silly little moment. It’s wonderful. Mustang then basically tricks Barry into storming the laboratory, which means that Mustang and his crew can follow as though their purpose is strictly to apprehend Barry. I mean they’d have to do something with him, but maybe if Barry was imprisoned, he could be supplied with evil criminals??? It’s not as though weird uses of humanity aren’t going on already.

Mustang and the crew trick the personnel to leave the bldg. They follow Barry but lose him. They have to split up. Hawkeye and Al go one way. Mustang and Havoc go another way (I’d wish they’d go a third way, but that’s another story entirely). We follow Mustang and Havoc (well, duh) as they enter as room with as sorts of experimentation artifacts. Then, out of the red, Lust appears. She playfully chastises Havoc for not only not making their date, but pointing a gun at her as well. Havoc’s all Solaris? What’s going on? Then Mustang points out how easily it was for Lust to trick Havoc with the bodaciousness of her breasts. Havoc gets all sidetrack fanboy about loving boobs. Then Mustang asks if Havoc has disclosed any military info to Lust, which of course Havoc has not, because there’s already a mole, but Lust was just starting her own boob-based espionage but clearly had to intervene her because the enemy was drawing too close, just like Hughes did. After some banter about Hughes, Mustang shoots Lusts, and then shoots her some more. Lust says, How merciless. Did you pick that up in Ishbar? Then she exposes her philosopher’s stone, which is buried in her chest where her heart would likely be, if she had one. Mustang calls Lust a monster, and then Lust says, that was uncalled for. I do have feelings. I laugh and laugh. Meanwhile Lust has already displayed her long 90 inch sword nails, and looks quite ready to use them. Mustang rightly suggests that Lust is only being so candid because she intends to kill them. Mustang tries to use his ignition glove, but Lust severs the waterpipes above and drenches Mustang and Havoc (who look hot wet). Lust also mentions, it’s shame to waste a good candidate for sacrifice. Or something like that. Mustang and Havoc head for the hills, or out of the room, while screaming like little girls. Out in the hall, Havoc questions, What are we going to do? She’ll shred us with her freaky fingers! Hilarious. But Mustang creates a bomb with energy and water and Havoc’s lighter and boom goes the dynamite and Lust is gone.

The explosion is heard by Hawkeye and Al, but Hawkeye opts to continue on their course to somewhere.

Back in the explosion room, Mustang and Havoc and too busy talking to let their thinking catch up and them BAAAAM! Havoc gets the 90 inch nails right through the back and drops face down to the floor (hmmm). Mustang cries out while Lust rematerializes, looking as sexy as ever. Lust taunts him for a sec, but Mustang yanks the philosopher stone out of her bosomy chest to use the stone’s powers to rescue Havoc. Lust crumbles into Lust Dust. Mustang attempts to use the stone, but the stone itself is the essence, and so Lust is able to reappear and uses her long nails to spear right through Mustang’s side. Lust says, it seems you buy a girl dinner first because you stick your hand in her chest. Funny. Mustang is of course wounded. Lust taunts him while removing Mustang’s ignition glove and tearing it to useless pieces. Then she leaves as though she’s just murdered a couple of know-nothing johns.

Meanwhile, Bradley arrives, and tells the men there that he’ll go in and back-up Mustang himself. Of course.

Now we meet up with Hawkeye and Al who find metal Barry standing over human Barry’s cut up body. Sorry, Barry says, you got here too late. And then as something of a eulogy, Barry announces how decayed Barry is. Then Barry mentions something that disturbs Al. It’s about the incompatibility of a soul with a body it really doesn’t belong in. Al wonders if some bad incompatibility fate will happen to him. But Barry is now drawn to the scent of Lust who appears in the room. She’s busy today! After some words by everyone more or less, Barry later attempts to attack Lust but Lust’s nail’s cut right through Barry this way and that and Barry ends up as Barry parts all over the floor. But first Lust discloses that killing Al will be a shame because it would eliminate a second candidate, after the first candidate, Mustang.

Soon Hawkeye gets all mad and starts shooting at Lust. Over and over. After she runs out of ammo, Al steps in front of her and absorbs Lust’s naughty nails. Al says stuff about not letting other people die. Just then Mustang arrives, declaring, I couldn’t agree more. Then, in the coolest sequence, starting with Al erecting a wall to protect Hawkeye from what’s to come, Mustang lets loose with probably the strongest fire he’s ever created. Why? Because, as Lust so conveniently narrates, Mustang has cut the ignition symbol in his own hand. It’s not just a tattoo, it’s a unity. But in practical terms, he’s using a lighter as a conductor. He burns Lust to smithereens immediately. She’s still around, but dropped to her knees. Then we see Mustang standing there, in his shirt open anime male glory. He has cauterized his wounds, and is ready for warfare. Lust now burns about a million times, and the agony is true. She screams louder than Havoc would scream any woman’s name. But in one last attempt to save herself, Lust shoots out her nails at Mustang. A point is just an inch from his eyes (hmmm???). Starting at the point, Lust begins to dust crumble and eventually vanishes, but not before some last words. You killed me. I hate losing. But there are worse ways to die than by the hands of a man like you. I love the way your eyes are cold and focused. I look forward to the day when those eyes will writhe with agony. It’s coming. It’s coming. Then poof she’s gone, followed by her philosopher’s stone.

Mustang topples over. Hawkeye and Al run to him. Talk ensues. Out in the corridor Bradley is there, with his hand holding his half-drawn sword. He senses the futility of the situation, replaces his sword, then leaves. Poor sad Wrath.

Then Al shows up at the hotel. Winry’s waiting on the exterior steps. They have an Oh Yeah sort of reunion. Al’s arm falls off and they both scream.

Back at the third laboratory, Barry is alive but only in his soul tattoo. Flesh Barry is also alive and starts clawing at the metal holding the tattoo. Metal Barry begs Flesh Barry to stop, but Flesh Barry kills Metal Barry but in the process kills himself. The end of the Barrys. And the end of a great source of wonderful story and lines. The same goes for Lust who just oozed her character all over the celluloid sheets. Who’s going to take over her purring deadly lines? No one, that’s who.

Meanwhile, Armstrong and Breda drop Ed at Resembool. Ed wanders down the road past the cemetery, and there by his mother’s grave he sees his deadbeat dad Hohenheim or however he spells it. I mean it’s a cool scene per se, but compared to everything that’s come before it, the scene’s irreparably upstaged. It needs its own episode of course. But I wonder if as an ending to this one it isn’t misplaced.

Evenso, this is a great episode, even if Lust and Barry are vanquished, because their deaths, but Lust’s death especially, were colossal is scope. Barry killed Barry and then killed him again. And Lust! Lust! Lust was burned up in the passion of flames delivered by the cold-eyed hero who she might have admired if she didn’t hate him from the start.

MAD MAD MAD MAD heart1 MAD MAD MAD MAD
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:10 pm

So wait, have you finished the whole show yet?

What episode are you on?

What is going on?

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:10 pm

But yeah, I loved Mustang from episode 1, but episode 19 was what sparked full-blown obsession.

Pun slightly intended.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Yes I've finished the whole show, but I'm rewatching each episode for purposes of commentary.

Yep. Mustang enraged and with a unbuttoned shirt creates a full-blown...obsession.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Is it wrong that I want to keep rewatching episode 19 because Mustang and Havoc are in the same room and being penetrated by Lust?

ninjaMAD MAD MAD MAD heart1
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 pm

No.

It is never wrong to keep wanting to watch episode 19. For any reason.

But imma keep on watching Mustang find out that Envy killed Hughes.
Forever. Over and over.
BURN BITCH BURN.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue May 01, 2018 12:43 am

Fine. Then I can cancel my Freudian therapist appointment and go with the escort instead.
cool night

More commentary later!

I will say that for awhile I wondered why Lust couldn't be reanimated. Then it occurred to me. This show does pretty well with tying in rules and details over a vast span of time. Occasionally though a plot or character dud erupts. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   

Back to top Go down

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-