Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm

@davidalan wrote:
episode 4: an alchemist's anguish

... meanwhile you have to wonder just how many people have gone missing in the area. there were after all a lot of cages and a lot of experimental creatures. ..

I'm thinking none. They made it clear that he hadn't had success since two years ago when he had his first success that earned him State Alchemist and funding. The only speaking chimera he was able to create (of which we know of only 2) were when he used a human subject. First his wife, then his daughter.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 pm

The whole area looked like the Island of Dr Moreau. I thought this guy is clearly evil.

Now what I wished!---is---that this episode was a two parter and the first part was episode 3 so that our investment in episode 4 could have been even longer. Episode 3 was a bust and deserved replacement anyway. So why not episode 4 part 1???
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Well, this will come up again.

It's kind of like it's one big episode with 60 parts.

Even the ones that might have seemed stand-alone (like ep 1 with the Freezer, ep 3 with Liore) are not stand-alone.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:35 pm

episode 5: rain of sorrows

I liked this episode. I liked the street targeting of Ed and Al and the subsequent street battle. I liked Al slapping Ed around and calling him an idiot. And the Scar dude is rather fun. But once again Lust and Gluttony steal the show. My viewing pleasure is complete when Lust says something stellar and gluttony goes all human buffet. Who's the fake father? A shapeshifter? I still like Lust and Gluttony more.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Fake Father is Envy. And yes, it's a shapeshifter. Kind of appropriate.

I like Envy more than Lust or Gluttony.

But, you've only just met him, or her (Envy is a bit androgynous).

At this point you can likely guess how many of these villains you will meet.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 pm

AND you got the Ishval backstory, or at least the first real taste of it, with Scar being Ishvalan and Mustang giving quick info-dump on the semi-sanitized version of it.

Fuhrer King Bradley's name making a bit more sense now?

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:03 am

To do my own non-spoiler recap of where we are (mainly to keep myself from messing up, since I'm like four episodes ahead of you on my rewatch):

--You have the backstory of the brothers-- mom died, dad didn't show up for the funeral, but according to mom they get their alchemy skills from him. Tried to bring mom back, bad idea, Ed lost a leg and Al lost an everything, Ed gives up arm to bond Al to the armor. Mission: Get Our Bodies Back, Method: Find a Philosopher Stone.

--You have the basic understanding of what alchemy is and how it works-- equivalent exchange, construction-deconstruction-reconstruction (Scar stopping at the deconstruction phase to just destroy shit). You focus the power through transmutation circles (unless you're Ed, who doesn't use one). These can be tattooed (Kimblee), put on clothing (Mustang's gloves), inscribed into armor (Armstrong), drawn onto surfaces (Alphonse among others). Most alchemists specialize in a certain material or method, Mustang's flames, Edward with metals/minerals, Macdougal with water, etc. Philosopher's Stone makes it so that you can bypass Equivalent Exchange / break laws of physics.

--You have the basic background of the Ishvalan War of Extermination. A racial/religious subgroup whose land (desert terrain) was annexed by Amnestria (country we're in). Monotheistic, brown skin and red eyes. Unrest and military occupation leads to military atrocity (murder of a child) which sparks revolution, long war fought ending up order from the top to just genocide the whole lot of them. State Alchemists brought in as human weapons. This was, I think 8 (?) years ago from present day.

All of these basic things will come together to form a plot. You haven't gotten to the real plot yet, you're still so early.

People you've met:

From Resembool:
--Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist
--Alphone Elric, Ed's brother
--Winry Rockbell, Ed's automail mechanic and childhood friend
--Pinako Rockbell, Winry's grandmother
--Trisha Elric, deceased

Military:
--Fuhrer King Bradley, dictator
--Colonel Roy Mustang, Flame Alchemist, veteran of Ishval
--1st Lt. Riza Hawkeye, Roy's right hand, veteran of Ishval
--Lt. Jean Havoc, one of Roy's men (the blonde cig-smoking guy in latest episode)
--Lt. Colonel Maes Hughes, war buddy of Roy, veteran of Ishval, and his wife Gracia and daughter Elysia
--Major Alexander Louis Armstrong, Strong-Arm Alchemist, veteran of Ishval
--former Major Solf Kimblee, Crimson Alchemist, veteran of Ishval, imprisoned
--former Major Isaac Macdougal, Freezing Alchemist, veteran of Ishval, deceased

From Ishval:
--Scar, serial assassin of State Alchemists

"Villains":
--Lust
--Gluttony
--Envy

All of these people are important.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks for all the info.

As for Envy, it was indeed only the first meeting. I think it is clever for Envy to be a shapeshifter as in "wanting" to be everybody else. I still prefer Lust and Gluttony because they're more dynamic. But Envy seems more than competent. Can't wait for the rest of the pack. Although Sloth may be a little lethargic. Probably ironically so. Who's left? Pride. Wrath. Greed. I wonder if they all have a common origin or energy source, in that they are seven parts of the same experience.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:58 pm

I still want to know if Al has the same voice in Brotherhood as in the original.

And i've wondered for years now if the last name Elric was some sort of homage to Michael Moorcock.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm

@davidalan wrote:
Thanks for all the info.

As for Envy, it was indeed only the first meeting. I think it is clever for Envy to be a shapeshifter as in "wanting" to be everybody else. I still prefer Lust and Gluttony because they're more dynamic. But Envy seems more than competent. Can't wait for the rest of the pack. Although Sloth may be a little lethargic. Probably ironically so. Who's left? Pride. Wrath. Greed. I wonder if they all have a common origin or energy source, in that they are seven parts of the same experience.

If you want to know the order in which you meet them (as in, know who they are):

just order of appearance:

Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:02 pm

episode 6: road to hope

I liked this episode a lot. The mysterious dr Marcoh was interesting although I fear he's now doomed. But it was muscly but sentimental Armstrong who stole the show. He wept like a baby when Ed returned home and ripped off his shirt in some combo of symbolic release and creepiness when renarrating all the struggle Ed and Al have gone through. I also liked the general journey quest vibe of the episode. The train rides. But I also liked how Granny went right in on Ed for still being short. Meanwhile some more info on what turned out be synthetic philosopher's stone. I liked that whole scene as well.

Last edited by davidalan on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:03 pm

Armstrongs have practiced the art of stealing the show FOR GENERATIONSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Episode 4 – “An Alchemist’s Anguish”

Basque Grand, The Iron Blood Alchemist is attacked by the assassin targeting State Alchemists on a dark street.

Though Basque is powerful, the assassin moves too quickly and is easily able to blow through walls. He kills Basque in one strike.

Military officers are concerned about the killings, Bradley tells Hughes to use any resources he needs to stop this assassin.

Jr officers back at Central are busy doing all of the Col (Mustang)’s paperwork that he’s let back up.

One file is Lieutenant Yoki, he was embezzling funds from coal mines. Elric brothers exposed him and now he’s on the run.

Master Sergeant Fury is attempting to fix a radio, but it seems too far gone. Ed walks up and transmutates it to brand new.

The boys talk to Mustang and get a lead on the Sewing Life Alchemist, Shou Tucker. Two years ago, Tucker transumtated a chimera that could understand human speech.

Mustang takes the boys to Tucker. Tucker has a daughter Nina and a dog Alexander. Tucker says he’s had trouble keeping house since his wife ran out on him.

Tucker allows the boys view his research, but he wants information from the boys in return.

Tucker tells the boys he’s not had much success lately.

Al quickly make friends with Nina and spends more time playing with her than researching. Ed gets drawn into the play time as well.

Tucker invites the boys to come back the next day. Tucker is reminded that assessment day is coming soon. His yearly report on his research is nearly due and if he can’t provide results, he’s loose his state certification. The certification and pay that comes with it is all his income.

Nina tells Al that her mom went back to her parents’ home, so she’s lonely a lot.

Another afternoon play-time for the kids outside while Tucker struggles in his lab.

Hughes and Armstrong try to work through clues on whom the assassin may be. Central receives a report that a man matching the description of the assassin with a scar on his face was seen at the train station.

Tucker tells Nina and Alexander that tomorrow he’ll play with them. (this must be the moment that bastard decided upon his idea)

The next day the boys return to research and find that Tucker has created another talking chimera.

When the chimera says “Big Brother Ed” he realizes what’s happened. Tucker has transmutated his daughter and her dog into this chimera. Ed also realizes that the last chimera that could speak was created at exactly the same time as his wife disappeared.

Ed is understandably mad, but Tucker tells him he has no room to talk after what he’s done to himself and his brother trying to bring back their mother.

Ed beats Tucker and Al stops him just before Tucker is killed. The chimera wants to “play” with the boys and Tucker is just glad he’ll be able to keep his certification.

Tucker is reported to Central by the boys. Standing on the front steps of the office building in the *rain*, Mustang tells the boys that all state alchemists will have to take lives when called to do so. They really aren’t that much different than Tucker. Ed says he knows they aren’t devils or gods, they’re human. But regardless they’re going to find a way to get their bodies back no matter what it takes. But what good are they if they can’t use their power to save one little girl. (pathetic fallacy)

Scar shows up at Tucker’s home, he’s killed the military guards and then kills Tucker. Scar tells the chimera that there’s nothing he can do to turn them back so he puts the chimera out of its misery.

Scar walks out into the rain saying a prayer to God for the two souls he’s sent back. Scar then takes off his sunglasses revealing his eyes are red. (He’s Isvalan)

Press F to pay respects to Nina and Alexander.

Damn onion cutting invisible ninjas have infested my home.

Last edited by Falc0 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Episode 5 – “Rain of Sorrow”

Flashback? To Ed showing his mom his alchemy skills. She praises him for being like his dad. She then wants to know why he can’t bring her back from the dead. Nina and Alexander appear and want to play. It’s a nightmare.

Ed awakens in his room and it’s still raining outside.

The boys pay Riza Hawkeye a visit to ask what will happen to Tucker and Nina. She informs the brothers that both Tucker and Nina are dead.

Hughes, Armstrong, and Mustang are at the murder scene investigating and realize it’s Scar.
Back in Liore, the Father is giving a speech to his masses saying rumor of his death are greatly exaggerated. Followers must hold tight to their faith and rise up to fight for their God Lito.

A riot breaks out in the streets witnessed by Lust who says that humans are fools. She’s with Gluttony and the Father appears and he turns out to be a shape-shifter: Envy. Lust says that humans are doomed to repeat their foolish mistakes again and again.

Envy has a magic circle on his leg.

The group discusses that Mustang and Ed are in East City investigating Tucker’s death. Lust says that they can’t let Ed die because he’s an “important sacrifice”. (hmmm)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. The officers are discussing how they know so little about Scar. Mustang hears for the first time that Grand has been killed by Scar. They realize how powerful Scar must be.

Hughes asks Mustang to increase his guard and lay low because he’s the only other State Alchemist in the area for Scar to target. Mustang immediately realizes that Ed is also nearby.

Scene change to Ed and Al sitting outside in the rain discussing the laws of alchemy. Ed says he hoped that the rain would wash away his hurt but it’s not working. Al says w/o a body, he can’t even feel the rain hitting his face. *the feels*

Scar shows up and attacks Ed. Al pulls him out of the way just in time. The boys begin to battle Scar but realize quickly that he can destroy anything they make, so they run for it.

Scar corners them in an alley and they ask who he is. Scar responds that as long as there are creators like you, there must also be destroyers.

The boys decide they have no choice but to fight. Scar destroys part of Al’s body (armor). Scar tried to destroy Ed’s arm, but his attack doesn’t have the planned effect on automail

Scar divines that Ed forms his hands into a ring to perform transmutation. That’s why he doesn’t need a magic circle.

Scar makes a second attack on Ed’s automail arm and destroys it. Without two hands to form a circle, Ed can’t perform Alchemy.

Just as Scar is about to kill Ed, Mustang and the cavalry arrive.

Scar tells Mustang that Alchemists profane God who is the creator of all things. He’s only handing down judgment. Scar tells Mustang that if he interferes, Scar will have to kill him as well.

Mustang takes that personally and tells the rest of the military to stay out of his fight, he’ll take down Scar. (has Mustang forgotten that he’s useless in the rain?)

A small poof of smoke come from Mustang’s hand and Hawkeye shoves Mustang aside just as Scar is attacking. She unloads with akimbo Government Issue pistols but Scar is too fast and takes cover. Bumbler’s gonna bumble.

Armstrong intervenes and creates time for the military to evacuate Ed and Mustang. Armstrong gets naked. Hawkeye bemoans the fact that Armstrong had to strip again.

Armstrong says that destruction is required for creation. That an alchemist like Scar understands that. Ed pieces together that since the steps of alchemy are comprehension, decomposition, and reconstruction. Scar just stops the process at decomposition.

Scar and Armstrong continue to battle. Just as Scar sees an opening to attack Armstrong, he backs off and Hawkeye takes several shots with a battle rifle, just grazing Scar. But it’s enough to knock off his glasses and the group realizes Scar is Ishvalan.

Scar decides there are too many people around to win this fight, so he creates a hole in the ground to escape through the sewers. Hughes shows up after the battle and admits that he purposely avoided the fight.

The boys argue and then are happy that they’re still alive. The sun comes out.

The Isvalans were a race that lived to the East, they believed that their God was the one absolute creator. Even after being annexed into the country, conflicts remained. 13 years ago a military officer accidentally shot and killed an Ishvalan child, which lead to a Civil War. Uprising and rebellion spread to the whole Eastern Sector. The order came from command to exterminate Ishval. State Alchemists were brought in a weapons.  They produced striking results. Mustang believes that Scar may at least be partially justified in wanting revenge.

The boys decide they need to pay a visit home to Winry for repairs.

Last edited by Falc0 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 pm

I like the recaps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:57 pm

Episode 6 – “Road of Hope”

The boys return home to Resembool via train. Hughes is at the station to see the boys off and sends Armstrong along for protection. Al is on board as cargo since he’s not able to walk. Hughes wants the boys to stop by the next time they’re in Central.

At a stop along the way, Armstrong recognizes Dr Marcho. He seems to have disappeared after the civil war.

They get off the train and begin to ask around town based on a picture that Armstrong has drawn. Ed remarks that he’s good at drawing and Armstrong says that the art of portraiture has been handed down through the Armstrong family for generations…(what hasn’t???)

Sounds like he’s using an alias of Dr Mauro. They group finds his home.

The Dr pulls a gun on them and says he’ll never go back. Armstrong chucks Al and his cargo crate at the Dr to knock him down.

The Dr says that he couldn’t stand researching the philosopher’s stone any longer, it took too many lives. So he escaped to become a doctor to save lives instead of take them.

The Dr says the stone goes by many names, the sage’s stone, the grand elixir, the celestial stone, the red tincture, the fifth element. It has many names and many forms. The sample the Dr has is liquid and is incomplete, there’s no way to know when it will become unusable.

Ed sees that opportunity and demands access to the Dr’s research materials. The Dr is appalled to learn that Ed is a State Alchemist. After the was many State Alchemists turned in their certification due to the mass killings, and now the military has taken in children to do their work. The Dr leans that the brothers have committed the taboo. The Dr says the stone is the devil’s research and still won’t help them because they’ll go through hell. Ed says they’ve already been through hell. (I should start counting how many times he says this).

The doctor reflects back on what the boys have been through and meets them at the train station to give them some clues to go on. They need to search for the truth within the truth.

Armstrong and the boys decide not to report back that they’ve found the Dr.

The Dr’s advice was to check the national central library, 1st branch.

When Marcho returns home, Lust is waiting for him.

The boys finally arrive at Winry and grandmother’s home/shop.

Grandmother Pinako Rockbell states that since she’s seen Ed last he’s actually grown smaller. Ed says he’s still taller that the old hag and Winry hurls a wrench as his head.

Winry is dismayed at the condition of the automail arm. Granny said the leg can be adjusted but the arm must be rebuilt. Ed wants to get back to research the library so granny promises it’ll take 3 days.

Winry realizes that the 3 day timeline means 3 all nighters. Ed will have to pay a fortune in rush fees.

While Armstrong chops firewood bare handed and half naked, Ed takes a trip to visit his mother’s grave.

Story building time:
• Pinako asks Armstrong what the boys are up to since they never receive any letters.
• Armstrong says they are great alchemists but that sometimes gets them into trouble.
• But the boys are strong so they do ok. Pinako agrees that they are indeed strong.
• Armstrong looking at family pictures realizes she’s been watching the boys for a long time.
• Pinako says she was the boy’s father’s drinking buddy, but suddenly he left town abandoning the kids when they were young. She’s not sure where the father is or if he’s alive. (way too many callbacks to their father)
• Armstrong asks about Winry’s parents. Granny says they were doctors and were taken by the military to serve in the war, they never returned.
• Pinako invites Armstrong to stay at her house while in town along with the boys. He asks why they don’t go back to the house they grew up in and she tells him they burned it down so that they wouldn’t ever be able to turn back.

Ed returns to the Rockbell’s and Armstrong is balling like a child and overzealously hugs Ed, then removes his shirt for a closer embrace. (no homo)

Winry works through the nights with Ed staring over her shoulder, she kicks him out and finishes. They reattach the arm and now with an ability to create a circle he transmutates Al’s armor body back.

Winry warns Ed that she increased the chrome so it should be less prone to rusting, but it’s not as strong so he needs to take it easy. Ed is already running out the door and not listening.

The boys spar to test out their new equipment. Things look good so they plan to leave in the morning for Central Library.

While Ed sleeps Al thanks Granny and Winry for always welcoming them as family. He says that even though Ed never says so, he feels the same way. Armstrong is listening from the hallway shedding tears.

The next morning they boys leave with Armstrong. Granny tells the boys to come back more often for dinner. Winry also asks the boys to come back soon.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:18 pm

I think this might be the point where after-credits scenes start happening.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:32 pm

Oh, the app I'm using automatically starts the next episode when the credits roll.

At the end, Windy awakens after a long nights sleep and realizes she's left a bolt out of Ed's arm.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Episode 7 – “Hidden Truths”

The boys arrive at the Central Library, 1st branch to find Marcho’s research but instead find the branch has been completely destroyed.

Lust tells Gluttony back in East City that she burned down the library to keep the information from the boys. (she must have found out from Marcho himself that he told them where to look)

Gluttony can smell Scan and they know he’s close. Scar is wandering the sewers when he’s attacked by the pair. Scar is able to fend off Gluttony and begins to win the fight when Lust attacks. There’s a large explosion and it’s not clear what has happened to any of them.

At the military office in East City, Mustang, Hawkeye, and Havoc discuss how Scar has not been seen recently. Mustang comments that this case has become too much for Central to handle and how he’s going to make his way up to Fuhrer. Hawkeye suggests that he keep his ambitions more quiet.

Random military flunky busts in to report there’s been an explosion on the Marl River (Scar and Lust’s battle).

They find Scar’s jacket at the scene, but no body. Mustang orders Havoc to get his men to clear the debris until they find the body.

Lust and Gluttony are watching the scene from a crowd. Lust states that she needs to go back to Central to report back to “Father”.

2nd Lieutenant Ross and Sergeant Brosh arrive at the burned library to relieve Armstrong of his bodyguard duty of the boys. Armstrong must report back to command immediately.

Ross tells the boys there’s a woman who knows about all the information that was at the 1st branch.

Ross asks why Al is wearing armor and they boys discuss the lovely view out the window.

Ross takes the boys to visit the home of Miss Sheska but her home is filled with a mountain of books. The gang finds Sheska buried under book and rescues her.

Turns out that Sheska read nearly everything in the library and has a photographic memory. *5 days later* She transcribes all of Marcho’s research for the boys and Ed pays her a huge sum from his research grant. Sheska uses the money to move her ailing mother into a better facility.

Marcho’s research is actually a large group of recipes. Brosh frets that the documents are worthless but Ed realizes that any good alchemist would keep their notes encrypted.

While the boys are working on decrypting the notes, Sheska shows up to thank them. Then Hughes arrives and is mad at Ed for not stopping by while in town as he had asked them to do. As Hughes sits down, his jacket pulls up and a throwing knife is revealed in his belt.

Hughes tells the boys his job has been very difficult lately because all the important criminal records were stored in the library. Ed gets Hughes to hire Sheska to transcribe all the files.

The boys toil away on decrypting the notes and finally break the code after 10 days. But to their dismay they discover that the main ingredient for a stone is human life. Even a single stone requires multiple sacrifices. Ross and Brosh wonder how the military could have done such a thing. Ed asks them not to tell anyone what they’ve heard.

Ed wallows in his despair for a while and says to Al that there’s something he’s been wanting to tell him but was too afraid to say it. Just before Ed can tell Al, Armstrong is pounding on their door and breaks it down. He’s extracted the information from Ross and Brosh and wants to share in their sorrow about the stone.

Ed then remembers that Marcho told him at the train station that maybe they could find the truth within the truth. Ed now believes there’s still more to look for.

Armstrong pulls out a map of Central City and points out the 4 state alchemy labs. Ed says he’s been to all of them and nothing of note was going on. Ed then sees a fifth lab and Ross says that building is condemned and not in use. Ed is sure this has to be the building because it’s next to a prison which they would have used as a source of sacrifices. Armstrong makes the boys promise not to sneak into the building.

Cut to the next scene where the boys are sneaking into the 5th lab.

Ed crawls through a small vent and Al must wait outside because he’s too large to fit. Ed muses that being small is good for some things. Ed then has another small complex meltdown while in the air duct.

An odd armored guardian left to protect the facility attacks Al.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Episode 8 – “The Fifth Laboratory”

AL battles Number 66, an armored warrior with a skull face who uses two butcher cleavers, outside the laboratory building.

Inside the building Ed finds a very large transmutation circle with an altar in the center. Old blood is all around. Ed deduces that this circle must be for creating philosopher’s stones. Another armored warrior appears, Number 48. He’s got a cloth covering half his face and wields a saber. Number 48 attacks and is very fast.

Number 48 claims his sword can cut through steel, but is blocked by Ed’s automail arm. Ed can tell from the hollow sound of Number 48 that there’s no person inside. 48 is surprised to hear that there are others like him outside the facility. He says 48 was his prison number and reintroduces himself as Slicer, a mass murderer.

Slicer claims he doesn’t know what the facility is used for but was only placed here as a guardian because those in charge recognize his skill. He shows Ed his blood seal (weak spot) in order to give himself more of a challenge during the fight.

Hughes at Central calls Mustang in East City on the phone to tell him about his daughter turning 3. While Hughes is leaning over in the phone booth, his belt knife is visible again (Chekhov's gun). Hughes then asks about the Scar case and Mustang says that they still have not located a body. Mustang asks if Armstrong is still watching the boys and Hughes says a couple of his men are now the bodyguards.

Cut to the bodyguards checking in on the boy’s room to see they have gone out the window sometime earlier. Brosh is upset that Armstrong will take off his shirt to yell at them. Ross and Brosh head for the 5th laboratory.

Ed and Slicer continue to fight but the missing bolt throws Ed’s arm out of whack. Ed goes on the defensive w/o full use of his arm. He remembers back to when Winry told him that she increased the level of chrome to prevent rusting but it’s not as strong so take it easy. He believes that he pushed too hard but really it’s the bolt that Winry left out.

Ed is barely able to keep up on defense and takes a few small wounds. Slicer says it won’t be long now before Ed’s lost too much blood. Slicer also states that his friend outside should be finishing off Al.

Ed asks if his friend is strong. Slicer says yes, but not as strong as himself. Ed says that he doesn’t need to worry about Al because he’s never beaten his brother in sparring.

Cut to Al landing a crushing blow to the face of Number 66. 66’s head goes flying off and Al realizes that the suit of armor is empty as well. 66 tells Al that his name is actually Barry the Butcher. He started off as a real butcher but then started cutting up people. He’s another prisoner bound to guard the laboratory.

Barry is bothered that Al isn’t freaking out about a soul in a suit of armor and asks why. Al shows him that he’s also an empty suit of armor and Barry freaks out.

Barry mistakes him for a death row inmate as well but Al tells him that his brother bound is soul to the armor when he lost his body. Barry tells Al that he probably isn’t Ed’s brother, that Ed created all his memories when he created a doll for his use. That Al was probably not a real person to begin with.

Back to Ed and Slicer. Ed tricks Slicer to looking away by calling to Al who isn’t actually there. While Slicer is distracted, Ed knocks his head off. Ed picks up the head to interrogate him about the stone. Slicer’s body attacks Ed who narrowly dodges, but is cut again. Turns out that Slicer is actually a pair of brothers and the body has an independent blood seal for the other brother.

Ed has lost too much blood and can’t keep up. Right as it looks like Ed will lose, he sees Scar in his memories and uses his trick to decompose the suit of armor.

Slicer wants Ed to finish them off, but Ed says he’s not a murderer. Slicer claims it wouldn’t even be murder w/o bodies. Ed says he has to believe they’re still people because he believes his brother is still a real person.

Cut to Barry and Al. They still argue about weather Al is a real person while continuing to fight.

Cut back to Slicer saying that nobody has treated them as people before so in return he’ll tell Ed about the philosopher’s stone. Just as he’s about to speak, Lust enters and destroys Slicer’s blood seal.

Envy enters as well and kills off the second brother’s blood seal. Envy is mad at slicer for trying to kill their very important “sacrifice”.

Ed wants to know what they mean by sacrifice but Envy calls him a pipsqueak instead. Ed has another small meltdown and tries to fight Envy to no avail because his arm still malfunctions.

Lust tells Ed not to forget she allowed him to live, then she orders Envy to destroy the lab.

Cut back to Al who is remembering Ed saying that there’s something he wanted to tell him but was too afraid. Al is starting to think Barry might be right about never being a real person.

Al is starting to lose focus and Barry gets the upper hand. Ross shows up and intervenes. Just then the building starts to collapse, Envy carries Ed out and leaves him with Al, then Envy and Lust escape. Barry makes a run for it also.

In the prison next door Kimblee can hear the laboratory collapsing.

As they run from the debris field, Al still wonders if Barry was correct.

Hughes at Central is on the phone with Mustang at East City, Hughes says they are short handed thanks to Scar's killing spree. He believes that a promotion to Central is in store for Mustang. Hughes warns Mustang that he can't move up the chain of command so quickly at a young age without making enemies. Mustang says he's been prepared for that. Hughes tells him to get as many friends on his side as he can (which means get yourself a wife).
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Episode 9 – “Created Feelings”

Episode opens with Ed in the hospital. Ross and Brosh visit him and explain that the 5th laboratory is completely destroyed. Ed whines that he was so close to finding something but now it’s lost.

Ross and Brosh apologize in advance for what they’re about to do and Ross bitch slaps Ed. (THANK GOD) They tell him he’s lucky to be alive after what he’s done and that he can rely on other people for help. Ed admits he had it coming and isn’t mad at them.

Brosh tells Ed that he drew the short straw to slap Al during his lecture and now his hand is hurting. Ed then realizes he’s got even more chewing coming because he’s got to call Winry and explain that he broke the arm.

Ed calls Winry and explains what happened and asks her to make a service call out to him to fix it. She actually takes it pretty well (because she knows it’s her fault leaving the bolt out) and she’ll be out asap to fix it.

As Ed hangs up the phone, Brosh is standing nearby and gives Ed guff for talking to his girlfriend. Ed has an outburst (similar to his small meltdowns) denying that Winry is his girlfriend.

Brosh pushed Ed’s wheelchair back to his room and they see Al brooding in a dark hallway. Ed invites him to his room but Al would rather be alone. Ed continues to his room.

A child’s toy robot walks into Al’s foot. The child retrieves the toy and runs off. Al is still contemplating if his soul is counterfeit and if he’s any different from the child’s toy.

Winry arrives in town at the train station complaining to herself about being sore from the uncomfortable ride. Armstrong is there to meet her but she wants to know where the boys are. Armstrong breaks the news that they’re in the hospital. Now she feels even worse.

In Ed’s hospital room Winry is dumbfounded to see how bad of condition Ed is actually in. Winry blames herself aloud for what’s happened; Armstrong, Ross and Brosh all give Ed the evil eye. Ed gets their looks and cops to being reckless, it’s his own fault he’s injured. This cheers Winry up and she switches into obsessed work mode. Winry then notices Ed didn’t drink his milk with his meal and begins to give him a motherly lecture about drinking his milk to grow. Al is peeking into the room but then decides to go back to brooding.

While Winry works on Ed’s arm, Ed discusses Al’s bad mood. Winry completes the repair and Hughes busts in to ask Ed if it’s true that he’s got a pretty blonde girl to service him. Ed has another melt down yelling that it’s not *that* kind of service and she’s not his girlfriend.

Hughes mentions that the boys may not need their bodyguards any longer and Winry wants to know just what kind of trouble they’ve gotten themselves into. Ed tells her it’s none of her business and Winry complains that he won’t talk to her, as usual.
Hughes invites Winry to stay with his family while she’s in town. Hughes drags her off and they walk into his daughter’s (Elicia) birthday party. Winry wonders what she’s doing at this type of family event. Nonetheless, Winry and Elicia hit it off quickly.

Winry explains to Hughes how she came to know the brothers and about how she’s worried about them. Also, that she finds it difficult that Ed keeps to himself and doesn’t talk. Hughes can tell by her words and body language how much she cares for the boys (maybe Ed more). Hughes tells her that maybe the boys think she knows them well enough that she understands and nothing needs to be said. Winry says that there are some things that won’t come across unless you say them out loud. Hughes explains that men prefer to let their actions speak instead of using words.

The next day, back in Ed’s hospital room, he’s having a stare down with his milk. Al tells him he should take better care of his body. Ed says Al’s lucky because he’s already got such a big body. Al has an outburst saying he didn’t ask for this body just as Winry walks in. Ed says he’ll get Al’s body back but Al isn’t sure if he believes him.

Ed can’t believe that’s what he thinks and walks out of the room. Winry has an emotional breakdown and tells Al that what Ed has been wanting to talk to Al about is to ask Al if he blames Ed for losing his body. Winry has a memory flashback to just after the taboo incident and Ed is in a fevered haze repeating that it’s his fault, he’s supposed to protect his little brother.

Now it’s Al’s turn to be mothered by Winry. She tells him that all they have left is each other and he needs to go after Ed and get his brother back. Al runs off.

Al finds Ed on the roof of the hospital. Al wants to talk but Ed wants to spar instead. They have a short match and Ed wins by throwing a bed sheet from a nearby clothesline over Al then knocks him down. Ed says this is the first time he’s ever won and Al claims that it wasn’t a fair fight.

They boys discuss all the dumb things they’ve fought over:
• Who got the top or bottom bunk
• Candy
• A toy
• Which of them would get to marry Winry
o Al won the fight, but when he asked her, she declined

Ed tells Al that no way are all those memories fake and they’re in this together to get their bodies back. Seems like they’re made up.

Hughes and Winry were watching from the doorway. Winry says that it is good to hear things out loud and Hughes agrees that maybe it is.

Flashback to Scar remembering when Kimblee was dispatched to exterminate Ishvalans and he attacked Scar.

Scar wakes up from a dream to find himself being cared for by some other Ishvalans in an underground network. They tell him that there are other Ishvalan survivors. Scar’s right arm is revealed to be covered in tattoos which he tells his caretakers are an precious bond to his family.

Lots of character building and back story in this one. Some people don’t like episodes where the action slows down, but I tend to appreciate these type of episodes where we’re able to grow closer to the characters and we get more information (even if it leads to more questions).

However, there’s an old anime trope where this is the calm before the storm and someone is likely to die in the next episode.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Oh you're way ahead of me. Maybe a weekend marathon.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Ok, 9 episodes in and I’m starting to remember why I don’t think this is the best anime ever. But I’ll just say up front that I do think it’s one of the better ones out there.

The main character, Ed, is an alpha male. This is more of a western story telling theme and not traditional Japanese anime or manga. The main character would typically be a beta male. But even though he’s a beta male, there are some unusual circumstances or hidden skill that thrust him into being an unwilling hero. We want an everyday person who is thrown into an extra-ordinary task. In this story line, even without the loss of their mother, taboo, and loss of their bodies, Ed would have likely found his way to a heroic path anyhow due to his skills and personality.

Along the same lines, the main character is usually more of the blue oni; laid back, calm, introvert, etc... They have a corresponding red oni; fiery, emotional, quick to act. That red oni may be a school mate, love interest, or villain. Whomever it is, they drive the calmer MC forward. Again it’s more of a western theme for the MC to be fiery and driven and for them to have a foil that forces them to calm down, think, and act rationally. Vonne, this may be why you like this series. It was something more familiar to you and allowed you to ease into anime.

On a different line, I feel like the best characters in the show are Al and Winry. They have well rounded emotions and act like a normal person would. Winry is smart and strong, but still takes the time to look out for and guide others she cares about. Al is emotionally strained by having to go through something tragic so young, but still finds a way to be strong and deliver when needed and cares for others as well. We really don’t get to see enough of Winry and even though Al gets a lot of screen time, it’s still lacking. One of the things that makes me love Al is when he wins the fight for Winry’s hand in marriage, then immediately goes to ask her. Ed can’t even remember the incident happening. They both are written so well. On the other hand, Ed’s constant outburst and very limited personality make him less interesting. Think about how Armstrong is loud, overbearing, and outlandish. That’s not too far off from how I see Ed. It’s great for comic relief, but is wearing thin for a main character.

I have this deep feeling that this series would have hit killer territory had it been told from Al’s point of view and he was the unlikely hero.

Another thing to consider is that you’re (Vonne) always going to have nostalgic feelings for your first love. This was the first anime that you found to be excellent, it’s always going to have a place in your heart as the first. I don’t blame you or look down on you for having these feelings. I still have great feelings for a crappy, trope filled, slow moving, space opera anime from the 80’s because it was the first one I loved.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Episode 7: Hidden Truths

A really good episode. Sheska's a hoot. I like the two bodyguards as well. They're pretty green.

But Gluttony and Lust vs Scar was the best. I liked them on the bridge overlooking the cleanup operation. I imagine they were actually whispering to each other, because if anyone on the bridge had heard them they'd have to be eaten or loved to death.

And Major Armstrong was a blast again with his switch from crying manbaby to yelling superman.

The search for the truth was an enjoyable stationary journey through codes and such. The discovery of the truth though left everyone depressed and rightfully so.

You would think though that criminals wouldn't make the purest subjects. I wonder if more morally driven subjects have been used.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:12 pm

@davidalan wrote:
Episode 7: Hidden Truths

A really good episode. Sheska's a hoot. I like the two bodyguards as well. They're pretty green.

Denny Brosh and Maria Ross.

All characters are important.

Quote :

But Gluttony and Lust vs Scar was the best. I liked them on the bridge overlooking the cleanup operation. I imagine they were actually whispering to each other, because if anyone on the bridge had heard them they'd have to be eaten or loved to death.

You're going to really like a lot of future episodes of this show, given how much you're digging these guys.

Quote :

And Major Armstrong was a blast again with his switch from crying manbaby to yelling superman.

<3 <3 <3 He's really the best.

Quote :

The search for the truth was an enjoyable stationary journey through codes and such. The discovery of the truth though left everyone depressed and rightfully so.

You would think though that criminals wouldn't make the purest subjects. I wonder if more morally driven subjects have been used.

I don't think purity matters as far as equivalent exchange goes.

But, more on this later.

Yes, do a weekend marathon. They're 20 minute eps, it goes so fast.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:13 pm

And Falco, I don't entirely agree with you, but I think I'm going to save this convo for the end of the show.

I will say, if it hadn't developed and changed from these early episodes, I probably wouldn't have liked it much, and definitely wouldn't have loved it.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Episode 10 – “Separate Destinations”

Flashback to Ishvalan war. Mustang is there, saying he’ll do whatever possible to protect the people he loves, then in turn those people will protect others. Hughes says that sounds like a pyramid scheme, in order to protect the whole country, he’ll need to be at the top of the pyramid. They both look up at Fuhrer Bradley. Hughes says that Mustang has his support.

Back to present, Mustang is taking a nap in his office. Hawkeye awakens him and says it looks like he was having a vivid dream. Mustang comments that it was just an insignificant memory.

Ed has drawn sketches of what he remembers of Lab 5 while in the hospital. Among them are the large transmutation circle, the “Uroboros” tattoo that Envy, Gluttony, and Lust wear a pic of Envy. Hughes and Armstrong realize they don’t have much to go on, so Hughes will research the tattoo and Armstrong will look for leads on Dr Marcho. Fuhrer Bradley then enters the hospital room.

Bradley want to know what Ed knows about the philosopher’s stone, and it better not be too much… Bradley says he was only joking about the serious tone but he knows something strange is going on inside the military ranks and they do not know who they can trust, so he orders them to stop poking around regarding the stone, keep everything to themselves. However, there will be a time for them to confront the enemy.

Bradley’s bodyguards are looking for him and he sneaks out the window to get some “privacy”.

Winry then enters the room. She’s got train tickets to Dublith so the boys can visit their old teacher. Winry is excited because Rush Valley is on the way, the holy land of automail and she wants Ed to take her with them. He says he doesn’t need to take her anywhere, why should it me him to have to deal with it. Al intervenes and says it’s not an issue because it’s on the way. (see previous post regarding Ed being shallow and Al being the best character) Winry leaves to pack and inform her grandmother she’ll be traveling more. Hughes comments that she’ll make a fine wife for Ed. Ed has another Ed meltdown (ugh)

Now back at the Hughes home, Elicia is begging dad to come home early and play with her. Hughes promises to get home as fast as possible to play. (This is super annoying. The biggest death flag in all of anime is to promise to do something as soon as you return from some important task. There was a small tip off that someone may die from the previous “slow” episode, now it’s confirmed. Put Hughes’ tombstone up now, here lies the idiot who promised to play with his daughter as soon as he returns.) Just to add insult to injury, Gracia tells him to “be safe out there”.

Now at the train station, Ross, Brosh, Armstrong, Gracia, and Elicia see off the boys and Winry. Ed explains that they want to see their teacher to train more because he’s tired of losing fights. Winry wants them to just quit fighting. Ed calls her a dumbass and says it’s not that simple. Also, they need to grow their inside core to become stronger and to get information about the philosopher’s stone. They’re worried about explaining to their teacher about the taboo.

Hughes is in his office going over reports of small uprisings happening across the country. He’s worried that if things continue, the government may be overthrown.

Hughes goes to the records room to look over info and maps. He puts together that there’s a larger conspiracy orchestrated, but is not sure who is behind it. He needs to tell the Fuhrer right away, but Lust enters the room and closes the door.

Hughes recognized the tattoo. They attack simultaneously, Lust with her nails and Hughes throws the knife from the back of his belt. Both are injured, Hughes stumbles out of the room bleeding and Lust pulls the knife from her forehead. Hughes goes to the secure phone to call Mustang, but then remembers Bradley’s words about not being able to trust anyone. Hughes goes to an outside telephone to get away from prying ears and uses his security code to have the operator patch him through to Mustang. (Uncle, Sugar, Oliver, Eight, Zero, Zero). Ross then holds him at gunpoint and asks him to hang up the phone. Hughes knows it’s not Ross because she’s missing a mole. Hughes moves to throw a knife at “Ross” but is now confronted with Gracia. He hesitates and Envy fires.

The operator gets through to Mustang but he hears nothing and Envy hangs up the phone. As Hughes bleeds out he sorry to break the promise that he’d be home early.

Back on the train, the gang is have the lunch Gracia packed for her. Al mentions that Hughes came by the hospital a lot to see Ed. Ed remembers that as well and says they should do something nice for him when they get back to Central.

Back in Central, pallbearers and taking Hughes casket to his grave. The funeral proceeds in military style. Elicia doesn’t understand why they’re putting dirt on daddy, he’s got too much work to do. Hughes is posthumously promoted to Brigadier General.

Mustang says his own goodbyes after the funeral, Hawkeye comes to collect him. Mustang says he now understands what drove the boys to try to bring back their mother. Mustang says it’s a terrible day for rain (he’s crying) even though there are blue skies.

Mustang visits the records room, sees the blood, and talks to the guard at the phone area. Then visits the outside phone booth. The code was for emergencies only. Hawkeye brings Armstrong to the scene. Armstrong says they have a fairly good idea who committed the crime, but won’t tell Mustang. Mustang orders him to say who but Armstrong says he still can’t. Armstrong leaves but says that the Elric brothers were in town for several days and did not find what they were looking for, because they seek a legend.

Mustang now knows that someone higher up ordered Armstrong to keep this information quiet. Also, since the boys were seeking the philosopher’s stone, he and Hawkeye piece together that there is a conspiracy within the military and Hughes was onto. Mustang says he’s going after the senior staff and wants to know if Hawkeye is with him. She replies “Do you even have to ask?”

Press F to pay respects to Maes Hughes, 1885-1914.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:21 pm

F Sad
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:05 am

Episode 8: the fifth laboratory

The indoor outdoor battles all cool. I like these two murderer guards: Butcher and Slicer. They have style.

Envy and Lust show up and impede any giving of secrets. I still like Lust more than Envy. I half expected Gluttony to be roaming the neighboring prison. But someone's there. That guy needs his freedom.

When the bros were discovered out of their room, I loved the quote: Armstrong's going to take his shirt off and yell at us. Or something like that.

This was a very good episode.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:08 am

The next one is a little bit of downtime / character building, but episode 10 will blow you away.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Maybe I'll watch them back to back then.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:48 pm

That would be a very good idea.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:48 pm

@davidalan wrote:
I half expected Gluttony to be roaming the neighboring prison. But someone's there. That guy needs his freedom.

:) Kimblee :)
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Yeah I couldn't think of his name right away. He definitely has style.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:49 pm

I love Kimblee. A lot.

You're still SO early. A lot, lot, lot happens. Things develop. I'm on like, episode 20 with Jason and still he has no idea what the real plot-beneath-the-plot is and what is REALLY going on.

But yeah, if the whole show was like the episodes you've seen so far, I wouldn't have been that into it. It gets way better, the longer it goes on.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Just pay attention any time they mention Ishval, and pay attention to everything that Lust/Gluttony/Envy say.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Will do.

Episode 9: Created Feelings

Actually I liked this episode a lot. The Bros who perhaps confronted more than just enemies in the fifth lab (their own insecurities as well) now bring them to the surface in the hosp. and have a major verbal argument in the room and a physical fight on the roof. Ed wins the physical fight mainly because Al still feeling divided loses it, but this gives Ed a chance to remind Al why Al is special and has his own thoughts and memories and deserves to have his body restored. I also liked Denny and Maria and their tough love and then extreme anxiety moments.

Oh and Scar wakes up among friends. Is he the enemy or he is a friend who's the enemy of friends? The story is surely becoming a puzzle of betrayals and double-plays. But I like Scar. He has style. Let's see more of him.

Episode 10: Separate Destinations

Well, and we know how separate those destinations are! Jeez!

So, Hughes discovers something. My guess it's about the Fuhrer, because I don't like the Fuhrer and based on hints I'm receiving, there's more to the Fuhrer than meets his eye. Part of me wonders if he isn't one of the 7 also in disguise. But he could just be a traitor out for his own enrichment. We'll see. But the process of Hughes' finale was really quite good. It actually had the drama of a regular old thriller. Lust and Envy played their parts well (Gluttony must have been dining out alone) and this time both were equally compelling. And so while Ed and Al and their future wife are on the train having a good time with all the food Mrs. Hughes prepared, Hughes is being buried in a nice scene of juxtaposition. But better than all that was Mustang's promise to rise in the ranks and do some good in this world, and now we're supposed to and rightly follow his trajectory. Armstrong was good at being non-committal to Mustang and probably letting bits of information slip between the lines.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:28 pm

And now there are 50 episodes of Mustang just walking around and asking everyone he meets "DID YOU KILL MAES HUGHES?"

LOL nah that's an exaggeration.

Mostly.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm

@davidalan wrote:
Will do.

Episode 9: Created Feelings

Actually I liked this episode a lot. The Bros who perhaps confronted more than just enemies in the fifth lab (their own insecurities as well) now bring them to the surface in the hosp. and have a major verbal argument in the room and a physical fight on the roof. Ed wins the physical fight mainly because Al still feeling divided loses it, but this gives Ed a chance to remind Al why Al is special and has his own thoughts and memories and deserves to have his body restored.

The "Brotherhood" portion of "Fullmetal Alchemist."

Really I like any side-stories that have to do with Al, because he's the awesome brother. And because he breaks my heart. Child has a list of foods he wants to eat when he can eat again. Seriously.

Quote :

I also liked Denny and Maria and their tough love and then extreme anxiety moments.

Maria Ross is awesome.
And it's awesome having someone slap Ed, because he so often needs it.

And, you're so not done with seeing Scar. And finding out all kinds of things about him. At this point you've barely met him.

Quote :

Episode 10: Separate Destinations

Well, and we know how separate those destinations are! Jeez!

So, Hughes discovers something. My guess it's about the Fuhrer, because I don't like the Fuhrer and based on hints I'm receiving, there's more to the Fuhrer than meets his eye. Part of me wonders if he isn't one of the 7 also in disguise. But he could just be a traitor out for his own enrichment. We'll see. But the process of Hughes' finale was really quite good. It actually had the drama of a regular old thriller. Lust and Envy played their parts well (Gluttony must have been dining out alone) and this time both were equally compelling. And so while Ed and Al and their future wife are on the train having a good time with all the food Mrs. Hughes prepared, Hughes is being buried in a nice scene of juxtaposition. But better than all that was Mustang's promise to rise in the ranks and do some good in this world, and now we're supposed to and rightly follow his trajectory. Armstrong was good at being non-committal to Mustang and probably letting bits of information slip between the lines.

Mustang is the best <3 <3 <3

And yeah... he's very unhappy about Hughes being killed.

You haven't seen Roy on a Mission yet.

Now Roy is on a Mission.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 am

Episode 11: Miracle at Rush Valley

Hated it. Absolutely hated it. Even if the town resembled Castro Street on metal fetish night. Even that though was dumb. And the rest of the story. So bad in its construction and purpose that I just rolled my eyes. Ed was right. Al and he should have stayed on the train.

Episode 12: One is All, All is One

Much better. With Ed and Al's teacher and her big man of a spouse very interesting guest characters. The flashback was even good, with Ed and Al being contestants on meaning of life Survivor. The irony of life and death there. They couldn't kill the bunny but the fox could. And then later the two fox cubs appear without their mother. Nicely done. Then there was the humorous scene after the island where the teacher is reading while engaging in physical combat with both enthusiastic boys. Then the reveal as to why the teacher wasn't more angry with Ed and Al than the might have been: she had done the same thing. She lost internal organs (something inside her), hence all the vomiting. I think she knew what they had done the moment they arrived. Perhaps she had even heard about them, as she would be someone who would keep tabs on them. Or she just intuited their tragedy.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:55 am

@davidalan wrote:
Episode 11: Miracle at Rush Valley

Hated it. Absolutely hated it. Even if the town resembled Castro Street on metal fetish night. Even that though was dumb. And the rest of the story. So bad in its construction and purpose that I just rolled my eyes. Ed was right. Al and he should have stayed on the train.

Yeah I can't argue with you. This was a useless ep. The bright side is, even the filler episodes are only 20 minutes long.

Quote :

Episode 12: One is All, All is One

Much better. With Ed and Al's teacher and her big man of a spouse very interesting guest characters.

One thing you should know about this show-- there are NO guest characters.

Every character is important. From Maria Ross to Barry the Chopper to Izumi Curtis and her "big man of a spouse" to Pinako Rockbell. That's part of the masterful story-crafting going on here. Everyone you meet, pay attention to them, they have roles to play.
You are very much not done with the Curtis couple.

Quote :

The flashback was even good, with Ed and Al being contestants on meaning of life Survivor. The irony of life and death there. They couldn't kill the bunny but the fox could. And then later the two fox cubs appear without their mother. Nicely done.

All is one, and one is all. Alchemy.

Quote :
Then there was the humorous scene after the island where the teacher is reading while engaging in physical combat with both enthusiastic boys. Then the reveal as to why the teacher wasn't more angry with Ed and Al than the might have been: she had done the same thing. She lost internal organs (something inside her), hence all the vomiting. I think she knew what they had done the moment they arrived. Perhaps she had even heard about them, as she would be someone who would keep tabs on them. Or she just intuited their tragedy.

I'm not sure that she knew what they had done. Possibly.
Keep in mind though, timeline wise, when they were studying under her they had not yet attempted to bring back Trisha. It was after they left her care that they attempted human transmutation and lost parts of their bodies.
She may have kept tabs on them, but what they did is a pretty big secret. Only Mustang and Hawkeye really *know* what happened (outside of the Rockbells).

But Izumi breaks my heart. Lost her organs to try to bring back her dead baby. Jesus.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:30 am

Okay the timeline may refute the concept of intuition of what happened to the bros. But I think that something as flimsy as a govt secret wouldn't have prevented her from learning about their fate. Not that she would have done anything about it. My reason even to bring forth any hidden possibility is her response to the bros when they show up as half metal and full metal appearance-wise. Now I can see her own fate (which started long ago) as having an influence on her---what?---affinity with them and their actions. It's just that she didn't seem all that surprised. Maybe she has just seen too much of life. On the plus side, this episode is so interesting that I want to look for motivations and responses to actions and fate. And gosh this was a necessary boost from the dreadful previous episode.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Episode 13: The Beasts of Dublith

Very good episode. Ed and Al are expelled and end up at the train station where the big man calls them idiots. Now they're no longer students. Their relationship with their teacher has changed. So back they go: to the teacher. "Don't let her kill you." So funny. Of course her first action as Ed walks in the door is to throw a knife at his head. Hahaha.

In the kitchen Izumi tells Al and Ed that Al must have seen more of the truth than they did which was why he lost all of his body and not just a limb. Al vows to try to remember. But first dinner. And the reveal of a spy confirming to himself the rumor of Ed's transmutation gifts.

Meanwhile Mustang wins at chess (or is allowed to win) and the two players say goodbye. But Mustang requests a staff of five. Four are pretty willing to go but one says he's just met a girl. Dump her, Mustang commands, and the dude drops to the floor. Dude's hot. He'll find another girl.

Meanwhile Scar departs from his sanctuary after being betrayed by a definite loser. But Scar finishes off his would-be abductors and goes off to continue his destiny. The loser has a grudge against Ed. I guess we'll find out what that is later.

Meanwhile Al is sweeping the sidewalk, and receives a crumpled up note. He follows the directions of the note and meets in an alley a rather peculiar gang. Bad move Al. Al is overwhelmed and taken away. Worse yet his suit of armor is occupied by Martel. So annoying.

And then we meet Greed. Greed resembles a super villain from the Batman Universe. He's very entertaining. Ed shows up where Al is being held and engages in a battle royale with Greed. Both Ed and Greed do an awful lot of boasting and posturing. Ed gets the worst but ultimately figures out Greed's physical weakness which is apparently that the shield he can protect his body with is also made of carbon; therefore, there are stronger parts and weaker parts and Ed attacks the weaker parts and more or less evens things up.

At the end of the episode Izumi arrives, throws a henchman at Ed, kicks Greed in the skull, and is generally hilarious.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 am

"I AM A HOUSEWIFE"
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 am

@davidalan wrote:

Meanwhile Mustang wins at chess (or is allowed to win) and the two players say goodbye. But Mustang requests a staff of five. Four are pretty willing to go but one says he's just met a girl. Dump her, Mustang commands, and the dude drops to the floor. Dude's hot. He'll find another girl.

LMFAO.

The five are Mustang's Team, which are the actual best.

First, Hawkeye. Obviously. His right hand, with her 1,000,000 guns and tons of backstory that you will find later. Riza Hawkeye is My Everything. and I really want her black short-sleeved turtle neck shirt. I would rock that so hard.

Second, Havoc. Yes, he is hot. And yes, he will find another girl. I <3 Jean Havoc. I would hang out and smoke cigs with him any day.

Other three are Falmon (grey haired guy), Breda (heavyset guy) and Fury (tech guy with glasses).
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 am

And yes, that is Riza Hawkeye in my avatar. You will find the significance of that shot and it will make you cry.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 am

I don't want to cry. I'll leave that to the bros.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Episode 11 - "Miracle at Rush Valley"

I'm not going to do a full recap of this ep because it's another throw away, I'll just try to hit the high points. I almost get the feeling that there are two writers and when the primary writer is on vacation, the stand-in gets the call.

The gang stops in Rush Valley, home of uber automail.

Ed the world's best alchemist gets his pocket picked by a two bit thief. Without any investigation at all, everyone in town knows who did it and point them in the right direction. They catch up to her quickly and in what should have been mop up duty for Ed, the best and all, Winry once again proves why she's the best.

The pickpocket lives with an automail guru (Dominic) and Winry wants to apprentice, he refuses.

Dominic's daughter (daughter in law?) is pregnant. While Ed has another pity party over being small, Al is enthralled with the creation of life.

Winry mothers the pickpocket and tells her to straighten out her life, she decides to give the stolen watch back but discovers it's magically locked. Winry opens it to find "Don't forget October 3, year 11".

A bad storm comes and Mrs Dominic Jr goes into labor. Dominic goes out in the weather to find the doctor and while the boys are useless, Winry gathers up her inner awesomeness and delivers the baby.

Winry admits to Ed she saw the inside of his pocket watch. He's upset, but gets over it. Flashback to the day teh boys burned their house down so they couldn't turn back. Winry is crying for Ed because she knows he won't.

The boys catch the train to Dublith and Winry stays behind to learn more about automail. Ed's parting advice is to steal the old man's techniques so Ed can get better gear. What a gracious friend.
Back to top Go down
Falco

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:46 pm

@davidalan wrote:
And so while Ed and Al and their future wife ..

This is one issue with this series. Several of the tropes are so basic and cliche the viewer can forecast out the outcome well in advance. Nice job, you only figured it out 54 episodes ahead of time.

Vonne:

Hawkeye rocks. She's probably the 3rd best character on the show and I may rate her higher if she had more screen time.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:53 pm

@Falco wrote:
@davidalan wrote:
And so while Ed and Al and their future wife ..

This is one issue with this series. Several of the tropes are so basic and cliche the viewer can forecast out the outcome well in advance.  Nice job, you only figured it out 54 episodes ahead of time.

Vonne:

Hawkeye rocks. She's probably the 3rd best character on the show and I may rate her higher if she had more screen time.

And with Winry's character in particular (at least so far?) her role is so tag-along even though she does well with metalurgy and can throw a mean wrench. Her excitement "persona" wears thin, just as Ed's screaming in place "persona" does when his height or skill is slighted. I wish Winry was more resolute, in that if it was her ambition to apprentice, then go do it, and not get so fangirl about the possibility. Maybe the show just doesn't do her excitement expression well. With Sheska it makes sense. Maybe because she's less involved in the plot. But really they're almost the same character. Meanwhile Hawkeye is more quietly determined and expressive. Not that she has to be, but it fits better with her character's role. If she were, for example, as ambitious as Mustang, that would fine, but I think she has a reflective wisdom that's also admirable. Whether she's calm and wise, or even personally ambitious (I mean in this society she probably showed some skill to get as far as she has) she'll shine in her own right. More screentime would be valuable to the story, whether with Mustang or making discoveries on her own (come on story, give her a chance!). Hawkeye to me is almost parallel opposite to Lust. I'd love to see a battle between them. Based on Lust's recovery capabilities, Hawkeye's victory would be survival and escape (unlike poor Hughes), but I would consider that hero-worthy.

Meanwhile, as I posted, I hated episode 11. All of it was bad. Your description of events, Falco, was better than the episode deserved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood   

Back to top Go down

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next