AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

The Expanse - Syfy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrBill60

PostSubject: The Expanse - Syfy   Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:01 pm

The third season will begin airing on 4/11 @ 9pm on Syfy, however I'm doing a catch up viewing and I'm about half way through the 2nd season. This is one of the best Sci-fi series I've seen, the the CGI and attention to detail are "out of this world". Like GOT, it takes a few episodes before you know the players and get a feel for the storylines but it comes together beautifully. I'll have more later and I really recommend this series.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Mr. Bill, I'm doing a re-watch (first time through for Mr. Pi, who isn't as fond of sci fi as I am) and we're still on Season 1, so I may put the re-watch on hold. I'm too anxious to see what's going in, in the new season. And I know how confused I got reading through the Breaking Bad first-watch on the old site while watching/listening to the commentaries on BCS. Sort of a variation on time travel.

Glad you're enjoying Expanse. I'm looking forward to posting about it once you've caught up. Also, I'd recommend that newcomers watch with subtitles on if they have that option because the Belter slang gets a bit of getting used to, mi pensa.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:27 pm

The Indian politician with the Jeanne Moreau 5-pack-a-day voice took a bit of getting used to but she has really grown on me.  I also find the storyline, probably inspired by the classic film, "Laura" interesting, although, wow, she's way out of his league.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Wow, I hadn't thought of Laura in connection with Julie Mao, very cool. Chrisjen's clothes are so gorgeous (that jewelry!) but they aren't just eye candy--they're a good way to remind us how melded Earth's cultures have become. (Chrisjen in that red cloak going to Holden's birth home--those windmills, that Cervantes book, neither done in a way to hit you over the head--what knockout photography.)

We just (re-)watched the season 1 episode with the "donkey balls" code and the guy with the glass eye. The "donkey balls" problem wasn't as tense as the first time I saw it, which was a nail-biter then. But I was again on the edge of my seat during the confrontation between Glass Eye Guy, Holden, and Amos.
Such complex characters!:

And I again teared up when Chrisjen and Holden's gestational mom had their discussion about their sons.

People shouldn't let my previous comment about subtitles scare them off. You adjust pretty quickly to the Belter terms tossed into conversations, it just takes you by surprise at first.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 pm

I'll have to re-watch the "donkey balls" episode,  I did a quick binge watch and everything kind of blends.  I'll need to re-watch again to pick up some detailed notes.  As far as Laura, I think it's Miller's fantasy obsession with Julie from her pictures and profile that really stands out,  and perhaps there's more similarities as we move on. 987   Miller is sort of the stereotype crooked detective working both sides, but there's some great character development and we begin to understand his background and where he's coming from.  

I love that the Belters have their own language and accent when speaking mixed English and Belter and the "Outers" vs "Inners" conflict ( OPA - "Outer Planets Alliance").    Again, the attention to detail is amazing. Also some of the best Zero-G scenes since Gravity.

eta:

Just reviewed the "Donkey Balls" episode, that was pretty intense but hilarious, and that's right, there's the spy with the camera eye (Six Million Dollar Man tech). Great stuff.  Alex is one of my favorite characters but Chrisjen Avasarala, wow.  I don't know if Syfy censors since I'm watching it on Prime, but I love the mix of her elegance, shrewdness, directness and the f-bombs that she occasionally drops with that heavily-accented, gravelly voice.  She's fantastic. lol.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Season 3 is tonight!  Looking forward to it, but also disappointed because I'm used to binge-watching it on Prime, and now it's weekly viewing.  Damn my impatience!   Does anyone know if they drop the entire season somewhere?

Here is a really good overview of the series however there are some mild spoilers.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/4/11/17221780/the-expanse-season-3-science-fiction

Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Mr. Pi agreed to forego his first-watch/my re-watch of Season 2 for now so I can proceed, this coming weekend, with the new episodes. Hooray!

Meanwhile, we finished up Season 1, and the details really do warrant rewatching. The season finale blew (blue?) me away. Some of it’s visual stuff, like Miller, looking awful, collapsing onto the circular hatch to the Roci in Vitruvian Man pose (just before he envisions Julie who, of course, turns out to be Amos.) Some of it’s the terrific photography, like the cut from Chrisjen and her husband talking lovingly on the roof, about getting him and the grandkids to safety, to a different angle so it looks like they’re ready to fall off a (vertical) cliff. I’d forgotten just how good the scenes of Miller and Holden making their way to the docks through newly-blued Eros is – the soldier who thinks it’s his lucky day in the Pachinko parlor
In case any new watchers:

, the way Miller and Holden have to redose themselves with anti-radiation meds every time they need a burst of energy, to say nothing of the looks Miller and Holden exchange with each other as they sort of bond. And I'd totally forgotten how they solve...
new watchers:

More to follow after I’ve watched some Season 3!
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:18 pm

I've already started season 3 - 2 episodes in. The story is inching forward at the speed of light, well not quite, hehe. It's pretty deep and great character development although I think only two days have passed since the season 2 finale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   

Back to top Go down

The Expanse - Syfy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-