HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inThe Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 TVGuidebbtn

The Expanse - Syfy

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
davidalan

davidalan

The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 9:57 pm

hahahahaha

Excuse me, Madame, where are you going with this?

Avasarala: Wherever I god damn like.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Amos: OK, lean your foot back to engage it.
Avasarala: Lean back, with my weight on my heel?
Amos: Yes. There you go. Now you just walk around like you're in pumps.
Avasarala: How do you know what it's like to walk in pumps?
Amos: I didn't always work in space...
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 10:14 pm

here's one that just about breaks my heart---

Prax: This is Amos. He's my best friend in the whole world. He helped me find you. Can you stay with Amos for a minute, OK? I'll be right back, I promise.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 10:15 pm

^^ definitely. I am that guy.

I've got to read "The Churn" to get some more backstory on Amos.

Love everything Avasarala.

Av:   Whoever the f*ck you are, stand down and let her speak.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 12:18 pm

@TBC wrote:
I have been working on my Belter accent. Think I am getting it down. One thing, you notice that Drummer, Ashford, Dawes, Diogo, they all talk differently. Heck, even Martians. There's a hint of Texas in Alex's speech while Draper is nearly pure Strine.

I have a gift for the nuances of accent. I spent some years playing a Russian weretiger in a LARP on Saturday nights on the U of Washington campus. One evening we had a new player show up, also playing a tiger, so we spent the whole evening playing together, I was in character the whole time, never dropped the accent. The next week he returned, I was already in character when he got there, so it was straight to playing. When game ended I finally went back to talking normally and his eyes got huge...He thought I was actually Russian. If you must know, my "key" for hitting the accent is articles. Russian does not have them. So I consciously talk to omit them, "That is nice house" instead of "That is a nice house", and I am there. I am working on Belter in much the same way. Interject their speech patterns and terms to lock down the accent.

I wanted to touch on this again.  The Belter language "Lang Belta" is a developed language, like Elvish or Klingonese.  The person who created it for the books and the series is a linguist and it's pretty extensive.  Being separated from Earth for generations, the Belters naturally developed their own language, pulled from a creole mix of Earth languages.  One of the most interesting terms to me is "Welwala" which is derogatory for Traitor - one who loves the gravity wells of the inner planets (Earth and Mars).  Another term is "Felota" which means "floater" or "floating sh*t" , lol.  I love how the language is oriented to the deep space environment.  They also have hand signals that go with a lot of the phrases (so they can communicate in space suits).  There are some good online references to the language ..  for instance, https://www.memrise.com/course/1476694/lang-belta-belter-creole-phrasebook/1/?action=prev

To pochuye ke?
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Something simple like Sasa Ke is my favorite. I swoon every time I hear it.

Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 5:28 pm

duplications are annoying. sasa ke? tap

Last edited by davidalan on Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Mi sasa.

Yam seng!  wine
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Sasa ke would be derived from "suss okay" and if you don't get the first word you haven't been watching near enough programming from the BBC. Keya is from "okay yeah", or the Germanic ja depending, probably both.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 12:56 am

"Stay away from the owkwa!"

I thought Miller was just using slang, 'acqua', but 'owkwa' is the Belter term for water.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 1:11 am

belter has a phonetic spelling definitely.

didn't know about the british influence on sasa ke. i thought it would be from the French savoir (to know) plus the version of what que which is also a conjunction (that or which). my guess is influences come from many sources.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 1:28 am

this was kind of fun. you've probably seen it on your youtube travels.  lmao

Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 am

Haven't seen it, that was great.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 2:55 pm

@MrBill60 wrote:
"Stay away from the owkwa!"

I thought Miller was just using slang, 'acqua', but 'owkwa' is the Belter term for water.

Does this make Awkwafina a Belter? ;)

We're doing a rewatch/firstwatch of Season 2, and I have to admit that I was on the edge of my seat, again, when Amos was out there doing repairs while the Roci was getting shot at during "Doors and Corners"'s raid.

Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Yes that was quite exciting. Another example of the quandary of saving the individual vs saving the many.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 12:31 am

Most people being bashed against the walls at 5 or 6 times their weight would suffer major broken bones but Amos is special.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 2:48 am

I know. It was unrealistic. I don't anything about the physics of space but I thought that amos being attached in any way to the ship while it was moving that fast would have killed him right there. but for the sake of fun i let it go. another similarly unrealistic moment happens in season 3. I thought the strain of holding on after bouncing on the exterior of the ship would be a problem. Plus the proximity to energy. But there are so many good scenes in that episode that I let that momentary oh really moment go. For the sake of fun.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 10:03 am

Watch Alex's little "fun with beverages" scene while everyone else is on Ganymede with Prax. They messed up completely there. Tilts his head back to drink? Don't think so. It's amazing that for all they got correct, like tears filling the eye sockets, they got a lot wrong yet.

First: The decks on the Roci are oriented flat. Parallel to the length of the ship. The only drive is at the stern so the only direction "apparent gravity" inside the ship while under thrust can happen would be if someone were standing on the aft bulkhead of a compartment, not on the floor. Yet they sit there and eat food, drink coffee out of cups, like no big deal. They only way this would actually work is if they used the attitude thrusters to provide a slight acceleration. Complete the main burn, reorient the ship 90 degrees to direction of travel, and kick on the thrusters to provide just enough acceleration to give you a good solid up and down, maybe 0.1G.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 am

TBC, the decks are are in fact 90 deg to thrust.  Like all Expanse ships it's like a skyscraper on its side. .   What I have trouble wrapping my head around is the deceleration phase of the  Flip and Burn where they accelerate toward the destination maintaining 1 G (I think it's more like .3 g if there are Belters or Martians on board), then at the midway point, they flip and decelerate until they dock at the destination apparently maintaining gravity through the deceleration phase.  I'm trying to use a real world example like an elevator and it doesn't compute.  Maybe I have to picture a car doing a 180 and applying the throttle while pointed in the opposite direction to make it stop in which I believe are g forces pushing you back against the seat.  Hmm... need to think about this some more.  As you can tell,  space flight mechanics are not my forte.  ;)  

The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 0PNn98t
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Their world. Their rearrangement of the rules. But if it was something I knew about and could articulate as the both of you do it would probably at least puzzle if not disappoint me.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Actually David, my understanding is that for the most part,  it's pretty closely based on real world physics.  I don't know about Alex's head tilting back when drinking the globs of beer or whatever he was drinking, but using  thrust gravity and the orientation of the Roci to that thrust seems pretty accurate, that is if we had an engine that could provide enough thrust to constantly accelerate to maintain a certain g force for extended periods of time.  Once it stops accelerating, you float.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 12:45 pm

@MrBill60 wrote:
TBC, the decks are are in fact 90 deg to thrust.  Like all Expanse ships it's like a skyscraper on its side. .   What I have trouble wrapping my head around is the deceleration phase of the  Flip and Burn where they accelerate toward the destination maintaining 1 G (I think it's more like .3 g if there are Belters or Martians on board), then at the midway point, they flip and decelerate until they dock at the destination apparently maintaining gravity through the deceleration phase.  I'm trying to use a real world example like an elevator and it doesn't compute.  Maybe I have to picture a car doing a 180 and applying the throttle while pointed in the opposite direction to make it stop in which I believe are g forces pushing you back against the seat.  Hmm... need to think about this some more.  As you can tell,  space flight mechanics are not my forte.  ;)  

The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 0PNn98t

Cute picture, but that's not the interior of the ship as it's shot in the show.

There's another thing, and that is the design in the first place. I don't suppose a lot of sci fi visuals designers give much thought to this, but the entire space ship school of design of completely wrong. They are all thinking about how it will look on the screen instead of how it will be practical to live and work in.

Starting with the basics. We think that "ships" should be long and thin because we are used to boats on the water. They are made that way for reduced resistance from the water itself. Space has no resistance so no need to make it long and thin if it is going to stay in space. Hold on a mo...there is one reason to do so, and that is for thrust. Basically so that you can easily balance the ship on the drive like a pencil when you are burning. But you don't need to do this. It's a simple matter to keep the ship stable under burn using lateral thrusters guided by inertial sensors. If the plumb bob ain't "straight down" fire the side motors until it is. So still no reason to have a ship that is long and thin.

What is the best shape for a space ship? Prepare to be assimilated. That's right, the boring A.F. Borg Cube. That's if you don't have artificial gravity. If you do then "giant shoebox" is probably your best bet. But nobody would watch a show where all the spaceships were cubes, so don't hold you breath waiting for this to appear on a screen near you in the future. That's not going to stop me from telling why it's the best idea.

The Tachi, as it is shown in the drawing, is cool and all, but getting from point A to point B is awfully ladder intensive. I can tell that none of these writers was ever in the Navy. Gene Roddenberry was in the Navy. That's why he put cool elevators on his starships. He knew that ladders blew. I was in the Navy. Ladders are a horrible way to get around on a ship in one G, probably barely tolerable in fractional G. So you really want to reduce the number of ladders as much as possible by reducing the number of decks as much as possible.

Next reason is to shorten distances. You saw Amos and Prax getting bounced around with the hard maneuvers. Put everyone in the middle of the ship and at the very least they won't get knocked about during a hard flip, so that will only leave burns which is still a relative "down". But there are other things which will also be shortened. A lot less ductwork, wiring, water and environmental systems lines, because everything is close together. And the best part is that you have a lot less surface area in relation to the mass. So if you have a small warship like the Tachi and wish to add ablative plating as a defense against small-caliber HKE projectile weapons you can do so without adding as much mass to the ship.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 2:33 pm

I think where Amos and Prax were dealing with the ship is where they ended up and strapped in. But of course it was for plot reasons first so that they could be entries in the battle of the flying tools. Now even though Amos and Prax themselves were interesting the event itself was after one viewing skippable. To be honest when I want to see the best of season 3 disc 1 I prefer episodes 1 and 3 but I do love the very end of episode 2 when Bobbie is guiding Avasarala into the Roci and that priceless stare from Holden.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 9:04 pm

It's exactly that flying tools scene I am talking about. If everyone is in a centrally-located compartment that would not be a problem.

There was a YouTube video I watched, someone sent it under the heading of "This is funny". Must have been Oktoberfest somewhere in Germany. A bunch of young women sitting down on a round platform which is flush with the surrounding floor, looks about 8 feet across, maybe stainless steel. They are all wearing the traditional dresses. The platform starts spinning at maybe 10 RPM-ish, one rotation every 5-6 seconds, and these gals start sliding off. Best place to be is near the center where inertia won't ssend you off, so as the group thins out the ones remaining cluster closer in. At this point the men start swinging burlap sacks, I think loaded with sawdust, suspended from overhead, trying to knock them close to the edge and off. I don't know what the winner got, but yeah, it was pretty funny and it looked like they were all having a fun time.

The person flying the ship should be the one at the very center.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 5:25 pm

I had an online discussion the other day where I thought The Expanse should have done a better job of orienting the viewers around the Roci.  There are scenes where the characters just appear in the galley, eating Alex's lasagna or Holden making his famous coffee, and there is a door that leads somewhere but it's never shown what is outside that door. Same with the Medbay.  

It would have been nice, for example, to show a conversation that begins in the CIC and then the camera follows them down to the galley. They do show ladders and there are some clues along the way, such as Amos dragging an unconscious Martian up the ladder to the CIC from the armory below and there are some exterior shots that show the orientation of the crew and ship through a portal or airlock, but it needed to be clearer and these moments are too few and far between to get a real feel for the layout.   In the books, the Roci does have an elevator,  but it hasn't been shown in the series.  I think of the Roci as not only a setting but a character in which other characters interact.  The more we know, the better.  

Of course there are a lot of supplementary materials such as the graphic I posted above, but first time viewers are not likely to dig too deeply. Hopefully they'll do a better job next season.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm

I don't know. I generally get an okay sense of where people are and maybe where they go to in order to get to the next place on the Roci in particular.

The Roci as I recall can hold up to 30 people and these people would likely be at stations or at least half of them would be while the other half would be asleep in Drax's old room or Miller's old room or somewhere. Maybe ships like the Canterbury (before its explosion) or the Donnager (before its explosion) or the Agatha King (before its explosion) or the Arbogast (before its explosion but not explosion) give a better representation of how a ship is structurally organized because there are people about. The Roci has too much room with no people in it. They need a bigger crew. Maybe they need to reinvite all the cool guest crew (Prax, Draper) or guest passengers (Pastor Anna, Avasarala) to fill in some spaces. I'd volunteer. To make the coffee. And maybe to walk in space. If the ship never moves. That looks too dangerous.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:36 am

@MrBill60 wrote:
I had an online discussion the other day where I thought The Expanse should have done a better job of orienting the viewers around the Roci.  There are scenes where the characters just appear in the galley, eating Alex's lasagna or Holden making his famous coffee, and  there is a door that leads somewhere but it's never shown what is outside that door.  Same with the Medbay.     

It would have been nice, for example,  to show a conversation that begins in the CIC and then the camera follows them down to the galley. They do show ladders and there are some clues along the way, such as Amos dragging an unconscious Martian up the ladder to the CIC from the armory below and there are some exterior shots that show the orientation of the crew and ship through a portal or airlock, but it needed to be clearer and these moments are too few and far between to get a real feel for the layout.   In the books, the Roci does have an elevator,  but it hasn't been shown in the series.  I think of the Roci as not only a setting but a character in which other characters interact.  The more we know, the better.  

Of course there are a lot of supplementary materials such as the graphic I posted above, but first time viewers are not likely to dig too deeply.  Hopefully they'll do a better job next season.  

There's a scene in Firefly which is an uncut roll through the entire ship. Cargo bay, common area, engine room, living quarters, med bay, conn, all in one take with a steady cam. Brilliant cinematography. I don't even remember which episode it was in.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Another excellent fan trailer
warning: S3 spoilers.  

Last edited by MrBill60 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : video creator replaced with update.)
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 pm

Oh Avasarala     love
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 10:10 am

Haha, love Avasarala, and she has the only spoken line in the video. I enjoyed the music and editing .
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 5:08 am

That was great, Crisjen made it fucking awesome.

The only really negative part about the second half of S3 was that she was not there. All the action was out with the Ring while she was back on Earth playing Sec-Gen.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 am

Sure. The show could have had her communicating more with the Thomas Prince for example. Or speculating back on Earth as to what was going on when the Ring woke up and when the ships began entering it. She probably for instance would have been doubtful of Holden's involvement in blowing up the ship on behalf of the OPA in the first place. After the Rockhopper annoyingly turned himself into a bloodied pureed mush.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 pm

I think that would have all been distraction, though. It would have been added footage which would have taken away from the pacing. Also it would have made her a REMF, or at least seem to be one. Sec-Gen Gillis was a REMF, probably the REMFiest REMF of REMFdom. We don't want Avasarala to become a REMF.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Forgive my ignorance. I had to look that up. I was surprised what I found!

Meanwhile you bring up a good point with your post regarding pacing. I'm sure that Avasarala was receiving a bounty of intelligence reports. Up to where the Thomas Prince entered the Ring. Maybe later Avasarala and Holden will have a very interesting as in WTF Were You Thinking conversation.

Sec-Gen Gillis was a self-serving idiot.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 9:23 pm

It's sort of a military acronym for a back-seat driver, only on a much larger scale.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2019 10:41 pm

and probably given to those who may be particularly deserving.

many of the inner politicians had positions that presupposed the facts. gillis of course gravitated to the strongest opinion at the time. or who mirrored back at him flattery and praise.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 7:50 am

Exactly it. That's how Errinwright was able to control him like [insert trite metaphor here]. When the attack on the MCR's stealthed first strike missile batteries was not 100% successful, one platform got one missile away, it was Gillis's fault for aborting the initial attempt at last moment, not Errinwright's for the needless escalation.

I haven't read the books so I don't know how this plays out down the road, but I do know that Franck and Abraham, or James S.A. Corey as they are known collectively, wrote the books as a history for a cancelled game world. The opening of the many worlds through the Ring leads me to conclude that it was an exploration and exploitation game similar to No Man's Sky with defined human factions, Earth, Mars, and the Belt in competition. Okay, as things stand Earth and Mars have backed down from actively trying to destroy one another but a lot of harsh feelings are still simmering, Anderson Dawes is still preaching that the worst news for the Belt is peace between Earth and Mars, and nobody knows what is out there that wiped out the civilization that built the ring system. Season 4 is going to be even wilder, and I can't wait for it.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 am

I can't wait for season 4 either. I started reading "book 4" because I couldn't wait but to be honest it wasn't the same as what the visuals give. I read a few chapters but it didn't captivate. One thing shows can do is re-edit books that may have been okay but benefitted from a translation in movies or tv. Of course some visual versions flop. C'est la vie! I wonder though if there devoted book fans like the series as much or are dismayed at the changes as some book to screen fans can be. I know I have been sometimes with certain projects. Some of the HP projects for one. That just comes to mind.

You mention the politics of the Belt vis-à-vis strife between the Inners. One thing I really enjoy about this series is that politics and strategies can turn quickly depending on circumstances. Others in The Belt say that war will radiate to the Belt. But I wonder if destabilization in the Inner Planets is what The Belt sees as a golden opportunity for independence. Well, yes and no. The Belt is not a monolith. It's certainly not contiguous. It's scattered from point A to point Z. I think they would do better with a centralized point that can be defended: Tycho perhaps. Of course it would be economically dumb for the Inners to blast the Belt to kingdom come as Earth and Mars have a craving towards money making and exploitation. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't make examples of less desirable populations. Hell, look at Phoebe and Eros! Based on the political landscape generally, I would side with the Belt but which Belt? The one that eventually would come together in a more unified effort. The closest I've seen was the Behemoth but even there well there were problems. Actually who really interests me are the characters of any world who defy their cog status and try to do good and who ultimately transcend obvious boundaries. Anna. Draper. Alex. Miller. Holden. Naomi. Amos. You know, the ragtag gang who weave in and out of one another's lives. The occasional heroes in other words. Because to be honest I think this solar system politically speaking is too immense to change.

I don't know any of the games you cite but that's an interesting origin story. Something they liked was canceled and they developed something of their own as a response.

Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am

It's amazing that out of a failed RPG they've written 8 novels and 6 novellas.  One of the authors, Ty Franck, was mentored by GRRM and I think it should be the other way around, GRRM could learn some things from Abraham and Franck, particularly in the area of producing work.  I just finished The Churn  which focuses on Amos' backstory in Baltimore.  Pretty good stuff.  What is also interesting is that the authors are in the writers' room, so a lot of what you see on screen is their contributions to the series.   I think it's one of the few shows based on a book series that have the authors actively involved in the screen adaptation. Of course, B5 was all J.M. Straczynski, which why it was so awesome.

Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 2:11 pm

How to tell you are a sci-fi geek: You can correctly spell "Straczynski" without looking it up. And then there is another factiod you would need to be an aviation geek to know. In the pre-WW II years there were two companies with similar names making aircraft in the US. Sikorsky and Severski. One might think there would be brand confusion, but there wasn't. Sikorsky made flying boats before the war but ceased all production of finished aircraft while founder Igor Sikorsky concentrated on a silly idea of developing vertical flight, and during the war the company made money as a parts supplier for other aircraft manufacturers. Seversky was founded by Russian-born Alexander Seversky, a WW I fighter pilot who had lost a leg in combat. In 1935 the company produced the P-35, the US Army Air Corps's fighter with an inclosed cockpit, retractable landing gear, and all-metal construction. However, the company lost money, the board forced out Alexander Seversky, the new boss man changed the name of the company to Republic, and it went on to produce the linear development from the P-35, the P-47 Thunderbolt. In the 1960s Republic was bought out by Fairchild, notably produced the A-10 Thunderbolt II, more familiarly known as the Warthawg. I think another corporation owns that now... Meanwhile Igor Sikorsky's company is still fiddling around with that inane idea of vertical flight.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Interesting about Severski, all the Grumman WWII ac and T-6 trainers resemble that original design. Sikorsky's famous for their heavy lifters.

I'm not really into "reaction vids" but this woman is brilliant. She's currently working on a video focusing on Miller's arc which I'm looking forward to.

Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 7:25 am

Well, the Grumman plant was in Bethpage, on Long Island. That's not very far from Seversky's plant in Farmingdale. In fact, the two towns are adjacent to one another I just find out when I look on Google Maps.

When you think "heavy lifters" you go right to the Sikorsky Skycrane, right? Too bad a company named Erickson bought the production rights to that particular model...or not, maybe. It means they are continuing to make in limited numbers a helicopter that the original manufacturer has long since ceased to produce.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 7:59 am

That's a great reaction vid. I would love to get her take on "Miller the Goo" as I call him. Yes, he exists only exists within Holden's perception, but he is not based off of Holden's memories. That damned trilby is the proof of that. Miller left it behind on Ceres so nobody on the Roci ever saw him wearing it. What is he then? Well, he's formed from the consciousness of Miller himself, or at least the residual memories, but there's another issue. The particular bit of goo that is talking to Holden through an ersatz Miller is under the floor plating of the cargo deck of the Roci, thanks to the efforts of that hybrid that hitched a ride off Ganymede. The ring, on the other hand, is entirely constructed from matter derived from the tiny amount of nanoparticle which Julie Mao inadvertently took with her when she fled the Anubis for Eros. The trip to Ganymede didn't happen until after Eros was already a crater on Venus so the Goo never met Miller. This leaves nanoparticle communicating among it's separate parts as the only way that the goo aboard the Roci could have access to Miller's personality and memories.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 am

She has a season to go before she gets to Proto-Miller, but I'm definitely following her.  As you can tell by her tats, she's also deeply into GOT and I'm looking forward to her upcoming reviews on the final season.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat May 04, 2019 11:31 am

Season 4 casting news..   :

Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyTue May 07, 2019 11:39 am

Starbucks are everywhere - Winterfell, The Rocinante ...

The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 Cuppaj10

So is FedEx.

The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 GvstXX4
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyTue May 07, 2019 12:54 pm

On that ship! There'd be four cups! At least!

coffeee coffeee coffeee coffeee
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptyWed May 08, 2019 8:02 pm

Avasarala's response to "mansplaining"  ...

The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 Manspl11
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySat May 18, 2019 6:28 am

Mansplaining? I thought it was more that most guvment types have technical knowledge which ends with how to operate a Karups.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 11:26 am

Nee-Chan just finished up a rewatch. I walked past her room and overheard the scene where Bobbie is asking who defaced the Mars flag on the bulkhead playing on her comp. Kind of surprised me because when I asked about it earlier, some months back, she didn't find the show all that great. I guess it grew on her because now she is looking forward to season 4 as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Expanse - Syfy   The Expanse - Syfy - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Expanse - Syfy
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next