AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zaphod

PostSubject: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Fri May 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I really love the seafaring genre of shows/movies like the Terror and Master and Commander. I can't imagine how horrible life at sea must have been, and so many of the sailors seemed to start in their TEENS. What a hard life that must have been - awful food, awful weather working conditions, backbreaking labor doing everything on the ship - and no way to communicate with home other than the mail times you'd put into port.

The Bounty was a good movie, tho seemed to soften up what life truly was like. In the Heart of the Sea I enjoyed, got a nice taste of the awful sea life. The Pirates movies do not count, that is Disney version of seafaring and therefore phonius balonius.

Thoughts, opinions?
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Fri May 11, 2018 5:34 pm

I think the worst of the lot are the slave ship oarsmen, like the scenes in Ben Hur, it's basically a death sentence.  In Shogun, all the oarsmen were Samurai who willingly rowed themselves to death as a matter of honor.

I started watching the miniseries "To the Ends of the Earth" with Cumberbatch.  I've only seen part of the first episode and it appears to be a pretty realistic portrayal of life on the high seas in the 19th century.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Fri May 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Mr B, I saw that. Quite good, enjoyed it. It's not deep by any stretch, but the acting is really enjoyable IMO.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Fri May 11, 2018 11:34 pm

I saw Master and Commander years ago. I liked the supporting/minor characters more than the major one. I would never be a part of that Commander's ship. They couldn't make me. I'd rather be on Billy Budd's ship. Oh wait...  sml
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Fri May 11, 2018 11:50 pm

I like that T-Pain video I'm On A Boat.

Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Sat May 12, 2018 1:29 am

Love sea movies. The "Master and Commander" movie was based on a series of novels by Patrick O'Brian, who based the sea battles and adventures on the Royal Navy archives. Extremely readable and entertaining. Stephen King has said that one of his favorite fictional characters is from that series -- Stephen Maturin, who's also on some NPR 100 Best Characters list.

If you like old movies, Errol Flynn made some great swashbucklers at sea.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Sat May 12, 2018 10:53 am

@Big John wrote:
I like that T-Pain video I'm On A Boat.

nice
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Sat May 12, 2018 11:21 am

LOL that video was indeed fun.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   Sat May 12, 2018 3:40 pm

@Maturin wrote:
Love sea movies. The "Master and Commander" movie was based on a series of novels by Patrick O'Brian, who based the sea battles and adventures on the Royal Navy archives. Extremely readable and entertaining. Stephen King has said that one of his favorite fictional characters is from that series -- Stephen Maturin, who's also on some NPR 100 Best Characters list.

If you like old movies, Errol Flynn made some great swashbucklers at sea.

i will try some of the errol flynn's, thanks.

OMG I tried reading one of O'Brian's novels after having seen M&C. He's a good writer but they are NOT easy reads - long complicated sentences where I found myself having to reread them several times before I got what he was saying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies   

Back to top Go down

The Terror/Master and Commander?seafaring shows/movies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-