A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

TV Series Recommendations

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sandi

PostSubject: TV Series Recommendations   Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:07 am

We need a spot for recommendations. hai

I've just finished "Altered Carbon" on Netflix and I highly recommend it.  

Netflix wrote:
In a future where humans can transfer their minds from body to body, a rebel is brought back to life to solve a twisted, high-stakes murder case.

Back to top Go down
neillt006

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:47 pm

The first two seasons of Genius on National Geographic were very good, in my opinion.

N.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Series i've really totally enjoyed: The Wire; Breaking Bad; LOST; The X-Files; Star Trek: TOS & Star Trek Continues; Millennium; Game of Thrones; Rome; A&E's Poirot (feat. David Suchet); Futurama; How I Met Your Mother; Red Dwarf

Series i've mostly enjoyed: The Walking Dead; Oz; Orange Is The New Black; Dirk Gently; The Young Ones; South Park; Dollhouse; Firefly; Star Trek: The Next Generation

Series i enjoyed at first that then lost me: Dexter; The Shield; Legion; Colony; Revolution; Caprica

________

Hardly an exhaustive list but it's a start.

Last edited by His Royal Dorkness on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:57 pm

Very good shows: Spaced, Life's Too Short (amazingly funny), Plebs, Shameless (prefer the british one, but that's just me), Dr Who, Torchwood, Bob Newhart (if you like old school comedy), Trailer Park Boys of course. Black Books (any Graham Linehan stuff is really good IMO.)

for drama, 911 is good but can be intense at times (some scenes i had to look away); Code Black is good tho i can never figure out when it airs; The Shield is still great, watched a couple of times and still holds up on rewatch; Northern Exposure still fun to watch, esp the Chris episodes; House still good after several rewatches, really strong cast
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:10 am

If yer talking bout new shows how bout HBO's Sharp Objects. From Buffy's Marti Noxon. Based on Gone Girl's Gillian Flynn's 1st novel.
Starring the impeccable Amy Adams & great character actor Patricia Clarkson with Elizabeth Perkins & The Newsroom's Chris Messina.
All episodes directed by Big Little Lies' Jean-Marc Vallée. Kinda like cross between Big Little Lies & True Detective S1 style wise.
Back to top Go down
sandi

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 am

@neillt006 wrote:
The first two seasons of Genius on National Geographic were very good, in my opinion.
N.

yay  I'm two episodes in on the first season and it's excellent.  Thank-you!

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:
Series i've really totally enjoyed: The Wire; Breaking Bad; LOST; The X-Files; Star Trek: TOS & Star Trek Continues; Millennium; Game of Thrones; Rome; A&E's Poirot (feat. David Suchet); Futurama; How I Met Your Mother; Red Dwarf

Series i've mostly enjoyed: The Walking Dead; Oz; Orange Is The New Black; Dirk Gently; The Young Ones; South Park; Dollhouse; Firefly; Star Trek: The Next Generation

Series i enjoyed at first that then lost me: Dexter; The Shield; Legion; Colony; Revolution; Caprica

________

Hardly an exhaustive list but it's a start.

I bolded the shows you mentioned that I too enjoyed.  I opted out of Legion and Dirk Gently after the first season, but I might pick them back up at a later date.

"Rome, Red Dwarf, Dollhouse, Caprica"

What are Rome and Red Dwarf about?  I've seen Red Dwarf mentioned before but I've never seen it.  

At some point I'll probably watch Dollhouse and Caprica.

Are there any new series that you enjoy?

@Zaphod wrote:
Very good shows: Spaced, Life's Too Short (amazingly funny), Plebs, Shameless (prefer the british one, but that's just me), Dr Who, Torchwood, Bob Newhart (if you like old school comedy), Trailer Park Boys of course. Black Books (any Graham Linehan stuff is really good IMO.)...

I watch the Doctor and I love, love, love Torchwood.

Any new series on your radar?

@stuntdog wrote:
If yer talking bout new shows how bout HBO's Sharp Objects. From Buffy's Marti Noxon. Based on Gone Girl's Gillian Flynn's 1st novel.
Starring the impeccable Amy Adams & great character actor Patricia Clarkson with Elizabeth Perkins & The Newsroom's Chris Messina.
All episodes directed by Big Little Lies' Jean-Marc Vallée. Kinda like cross between Big Little Lies & True Detective S1 style wise.

Vinnie! hug4  

I have mixed feelings about this show.  The cast is stellar and the plot is compelling.  However, I don't like our heroine and I think the pace is too slow.  Adams as Camille delivers a good performance (as always).  But I'm tired of Camille's drinking and depression.  She drinks so much, she should be dead from cirrhosis of the liver or some terrible auto accident due to driving drunk.  And it's obvious something has happened to her that she isn't dealing with which is driving her depression.  But couple that with the slow pace and I don't know how much longer I'm  going to hang.

I will watch at least one more episode and hope that she becomes more likeable.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:39 pm

@sandi wrote:
[
I watch the Doctor and I love, love, love Torchwood.

Any new series on your radar?

That new Michael C Hall series 'Safe' looked interesting, ALTHO I don't think I can get past hearing him do a brit accent, it's way too distracting.

I started 'The Outcast' season 1, looks promising. And creepy.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:55 pm

@sandi wrote:
What are Rome and Red Dwarf about?  I've seen Red Dwarf mentioned before but I've never seen it.  

At some point I'll probably watch Dollhouse and Caprica.

Are there any new series that you enjoy?
Rome is a semi-fictional/semi-historical relatively short series that follows events in the Empire not long after the death of Julius Caesar. It has amazingly good costuming & sets, well above average writing and acting, and pays attention to details that many films and shows never bothered with, such as accuracy regarding the type of military tactics that were actually used at the time. Not that there's much military activity, but what there is, is reasonably well done.

Red Dwarf is sci-fi comedy. It follows the universe's last human, named Dave, as he wastes the rest of existence flying around in the empty spaces with a hologram of his annoyingly prim (and deceased) former roomie, the evolutionary descendant of his pet cat, and a few other characters.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 pm

smeeeg heaaaaad
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm

I can't think of any new shows that've caught my attention since The Sinner wrapped.
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:45 pm

The Dr. Who freaks should enjoy Reverie and The Crossing.

The Breaking Bad bums should like Condor and Barry.

I've been watching Sharp Objects. I like the story and the storytelling so far but I'm not sold on the main character. I think I'd like her better without the whole cutting thing they chose to give that character. Despite it being a real thing, and I was close to someone who was a cutter, it's still difficult for me to empathize.

With it's imagery, the general demeanor of the town folk, and the egregiously homicidal dark cloud that looms over them, Sharp Objects has created a setting that I want to see more of.

The guy who plays the sheriff was also the sheriff in another small town mystery show. Hmm.....

Another show, Who Is America, has also caught my attention. Sacha Cohen Baron of Borat fame is entertaining with his shock value style. His antics may get old fast but for the moment it's worth the watch.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:49 am

I suppose there are three new shows i've been watching, though they're each a documentary.

Planet Earth: The Hunt continues the Planet Earth/ Blue Planee franchise with a series dedicated exclusively to feeding habits of creatures in the wild.

South Pacific is narrated by Benedict Cumberbunny, and it focuses on some of the most remote non-polar land masses on our little blue marble. It has virtually nothing to do with the Rodgers & Hammerstein Broadway show, the stories upon which the show was based, nor the film(s?) based upon the show; though so far there has been at least one mention of the story that supposedly inspired Herman Melville to pen Moby Dick.

In Search Of is a reboot of the classic show originally presented by Mr. Spock and Assistant Director Skinner (who was also the skinhead Darby iirc. This time it's Sylar who's going In Search Of. Looks like a fun series so far, hopefully it stays that way.
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:51 am

I recommend all the series whose threads I posted in today, plus Sharp Objects.
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:39 pm

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:

I can't think of any new shows that've caught my attention since The Sinner wrapped.

I saw a preview for that yesterday, how is it?? it has Bill Pullman right ???

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Paxton, Pullman, all the same

eta: miss you Bill P lip

Last edited by Zaphod on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:49 pm

President from Independence day ?? The dad from the Casper movie guy??

I really like him, I think I will check out The Sinner when I am done my Person of Interest rewatch

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:38 pm

@desi wrote:
I think I will check out The Sinner when I am done my Person of Interest rewatch

I just finished watching the first season (eight episodes).  It's excellent and well worth the watch.

Season 2 premieres this coming Wednesday.  Since it's an entirely different case, viewing is not dependent upon having seen the first season.
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:36 pm

okay cool, thanks!

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 pm

desi, nobody named Bill P was in Red Dwarf.

____

I've been enjoying Zachary Quinto's reboot of In Search Of so far.
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Finally got round to Altered Carbon. Was pretty good.
Here's a handful I've seen recently that are worthy of viewing....
BIG:

Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Finished Godless a few days ago, I thought it was excellent, worth seeing.

Sticking to the Dockery theme, starting to watch Good Behavior. It's so funny hearing her talk with an American accent, compared to stodgy Lady Mary.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Older shows: Justified, particularly season 2 with the goddess Margo Martindale (but you need to see season 1 to appreciate the payoff). Walton Goggins' character is mythic.

Luther, a London police noir, with Idris Elba. I think they revived it this year after a hiatus.

My daughters loved The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Yesterday at 8:53 am

Never thought I'd be saying this but there's a Lifetime series that I really like. Well, I've only seen the first episode but I think I'm gonna really enjoy this show. It's simply titled You. Check it out.

Back to top Go down
Paul_nsguy

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Yesterday at 10:18 am

I recently binged the first season of Mr. Mercedes and am now caught up on the second season (about half way through now).  The series is based on the Bill Hodges trilogy by Stephen King.  The first book in the trilogy (Mr. Mercedes) was pretty good, but the books steadily improved and I really liked the last one.  The tv series has been excellent throughout.  Brendan Gleeson in particular is really good as the lead.

As you can expect since it's based on Stephen King books, it has its dark and disturbing moments.

In Canada it airs on SuperChanel/Fuse.  In the US I think it's on Audience.

Trailers for season 1 and 2 below.

Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Yesterday at 4:15 pm

@Paul_nsguy thanks for pointing this out, wasn't even aware of it. watching now, big fan of any stephen king's adaptations. and brandon gleeson, always fun to watch
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Yesterday at 4:26 pm

@Zaphod wrote:
Finished Godless a few days ago, I thought it was excellent, worth seeing...
Started watching this, but RL got in the way and I haven't finished.
But, with your recommendation, I'll finish now.  hai

@Zaphod wrote:
...Sticking to the Dockery theme, starting to watch Good Behavior. It's so funny hearing her talk with an American accent, compared to stodgy Lady Mary.
Pi-O-My and I are the biggest fans of this Dockery led series.

Every episode is a jewel. The things they get into are both hilarious and frightening.

We're into season 3, but don't let that deter you. She's amazing and so are her co-stars. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   Yesterday at 5:28 pm

@Hodgepodge wrote:

Started watching this, but RL got in the way and I haven't finished.
But, with your recommendation, I'll finish now.  hai

yep, do finish, it's good right to the end. GOD i hated Jeff Daniels by the end of it (not the actor, the character).

I'll get back to Good Behavior once I've finished Mr Mercedes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TV Series Recommendations   

Back to top Go down

TV Series Recommendations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-