AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Big John

PostSubject: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:39 am

Currently binging this thriller about a CIA analyst reluctantly placed in the field. It's an eight episode story and I've watched it through the first five so far. I recommend it for fans of the genre.

Last edited by Big John on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ez

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:59 am

I plan on watching it, love the Jack Ryan books

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:59 am

Some of Clancy's stuff, in retrospect. I am talking about the technical details he cooked up that made everyone think he had some sort of inside knowledge. No, he was just a guy who wrote good stories and sweated the details. So it made it difficult to tell unless you absolutely knew already what stuff was real and what he made up for the books. The rule of thumb at the time was if it wasn't public knowledge it was imaginary...like the "Smart Pig", the JSOW in "The Bear and the Dragon". Would have been an awesome munition to have, one shot takes out an entire platoon even if it's spread out over the area of a football field, but it was fantasy. But at the time it sounded like something that would actually be in development.
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Interesting tidbit there TBC.

Got done watching season 1 this morning. It's good. Can't go wrong with Jack Ryan. Wasn't great though. Looks like the will be a season 2. Hopefully they'll kick it up a notch.
Back to top Go down
Ez

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Just finished it. I thought it was a good starting point, i hope there is a 2nd season

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:26 am

I'll get to watching as soon as I get through some other stuff.
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Okay, watched the first two episodes. Hooked so far. Couple of notes on Ep 1... I KNEW that was Greer in the Camaro immediately. Bonus points for Jack getting a surprise ride in a Coast Guard H-53 just moments after meeting his future wife. I think she's already figured out he doesn't work for State by that point. Note that the writers switched her field from Ophthalmology to Epidemiology. Can not say that I like it. In the books by the time she become First Lady she is an eye surgeon at Johns Hopkins and has a Lasker Award gathering dust somewhere and I like that Clancy wrote her that way. .
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:55 pm

I can't wait for this one either.

Huge Tom Clancy fan. Read all of the "Jack Ryan" books except the last couple.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 pm

i think i've read most of them, but it has been awhile so maybe some more came out in the meantime. GREAT movies with Harrison F as Ryan, good shtuff.
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:33 pm

She becomes first lady?
Back to top Go down
Ez

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 pm

In the books, happens at the end of Sum of All Fears, which was nothing like the movie

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Does Baltimore not explode?
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 pm

No. Um....And it was in the next book in the Ryan story line, Debt of Honor.

Debt of Honor plot:

Back to top Go down
Ez

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Ok, I knew it was close to that, just couldn't remember which book it happened in.

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 pm

@Big John wrote:
Does Baltimore not explode?

No, the target is in Denver during the Super Bowl, but the bomb doesn't destroy Denver, just kills a lot of people

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:02 am

I have been waiting for Ed and Mary-Pat to show up but they are not listed on IMDb as characters. Ah well. If they do show up in this version of Clancy's universe, maybe in S3, they might be doing spook work in Moscow, just like when we first met them in Cardinal of the Kremlin, but different.
Back to top Go down
Big John

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 am

What do you think is the best Jack Ryan movie? For me, Red October has never been equaled.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:51 pm

@TBC wrote:
Okay, watched the first two episodes. Hooked so far. Couple of notes on Ep 1... I KNEW that was Greer in the Camaro immediately. Bonus points for Jack getting a surprise ride in a Coast Guard H-53 just moments after meeting his future wife. I think she's already figured out he doesn't work for State by that point. Note that the writers switched her field from Ophthalmology to Epidemiology. Can not say that I like it. In the books by the time she become First Lady she is an eye surgeon at Johns Hopkins and has a Lasker Award gathering dust somewhere and I like that Clancy wrote her that way. .  
I've watched the first two as well, TBC, and I'm enjoying the HELL out of it. yay

I caught the change in Cathy's (his future wife's) occupation as well. I also liked the change in Jack's relationship with Cathy's father. IIRC, in the books, he was a mentor to Jack, but they're portraying him as a guy looking for inside information.

And Big John, without a doubt, The Hunt for Red October, is the best "Jack Ryan" movie.  yay
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:53 am

Red October was....yeah. wow...But Clear and Present Danger was almost right up there. Dafoe as Clark was a good casting decision. Haven't even seen Sum of All Fears, no desire to.

Friend of mine was a drone jockey. Enlisted out of college (Evergreen State University), went through training, spent a year in Iraq "flying" from an air conditioned trailer. all because the Army told him that UAV pilots would all receive commissions if they had Bachelor Degrees. When they reneged he got his Honorable.

The guy in the show is an AF 2nd Ell Tee who was jerked from flight school along with his entire class. The way the military is going to UCAVs sort of reminds of the post-WW II era. Back then we had The Bomb and somewhere, someone got the idea that so long as we had it we would be safe, nobody would ever attack us, so we really did not need anything except delivery systems for nukes and the means to protect them. Aircraft Carriers, which had practically won the naval war in the Pacific and proven effective in hunting German U-boats in the Atlantic, were going to be dropped from future funding in the mid-1950s until someone pulled a Doolittle-esque stunt of flying a bomber capable of carrying the smallest nuke then in the US inventory from one of the Essex Class CVs. Then JFK sent troops to clean up a mess in a former French colony and Johnson escalated it into a full shooting war (or allowed it to be escalated, take your pick) and the Air Force were caught with their flight suits down. When they had been a part of the Army providing cover for ground troops had been a major part of their mission. 20 years later there was only one Close Air Support aircraft left, and that was the Douglass A-1 which entered service too late to see action in WW II but had proven effective in Korea. There was nothing which could drop bombs from low altitude accurately, thereby be sure of hitting the target while avoiding massive collateral damage with a high likelihood of returning to safely from the mission. This didn't arrive until Grumman, aka Bethpage Ironworks, introduced the A-6 Intruder in 1966. See that pretty picture to the left, the lightning bolts, sword, lion....If you have been wondering what that is about. US Navy Attack Squadron 145. "The Swordsmen". a little bit of my old history. VA-145 only ever was equipped with two types over it's operational history: the Skyraider from it's founding in 1952 to 1967 and the the Intruder from then until it was disbanded in 1989, so you can understand the affinity I have for both aircraft.

UCAV's are the new thing, there are a lot of pluses when you remove the human from the aircraft. For some time they have using the davantages for a small,, light, hard to detect aircraft with a long loiter time which can monitor a target clandestinely, at night or in broad daylight, and fire an air-to-ground Hellfire missile. Next up is that the Navy has already cleared UCAV's for carrier operations. Not quite ready for Top Gun meets Short Circuit...or Ghost in the Machine, the first UAV to be operational in the fleet is going to be a tanker. This comes as absolutely no surprise to me....give people a fantastic technological advancement and they use it to get rid of the shit job that everyone hates doing. lol4
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:56 am

@Hodgepodge wrote:
@TBC wrote:
I've watched the first two as well, TBC, and I'm enjoying the HELL out of it. yay

I caught the change in Cathy's (his future wife's) occupation as well. I also liked the change in Jack's relationship with Cathy's father. IIRC, in the books, he was a mentor to Jack, but they're portraying him as a guy looking for inside information.

And Big John, without a doubt, The Hunt for Red October, is the best "Jack Ryan" movie.  yay

Hodge, Buddy. Glad you found the place.

*Cam Mitchell* We're getting the band back together

Warmest regards to TPTB, aka Mrs Hodge.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:37 pm

I've got a couple more, and this is excellent. yay
Really impressed with the acting of John Krasinski. I've only seen him in, The Office, so I thought he was just a comedian.
Back to top Go down
sandi

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 pm

I just watched the first episode. Loved it. I was a little dubious about the actor playing Jack Ryan but I think he captured Jack Ryan pretty well.

I was disappointed that Greer was demoted -- I don't remember anything like that from the books or movies.

I knew when Jack sat down with that prisoner that he was talking to "the man". I bet that meal and his civil treatment will work in his favor in the future. Got to love the grenade move!
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:42 pm

@sandi wrote:
...I was disappointed that Greer was demoted -- I don't remember anything like that from the books or movies...
"Yay, and if you believe that, my black arse will be the Director of the CIA."
I'm pretty sure he wasn't demoted either, but I guess it could've happened prior to the books/movies.

@sandi wrote:
...I knew when Jack sat down with that prisoner that he was talking to "the man".  I bet that meal and his civil treatment will work in his favor in the future...
Continue watching. You have no idea. scrd
Back to top Go down
sandi

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Oh, I will continue watching. Might even watch episode 2 today!

I feel bad for the people without amazon who are going to miss this series.

Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:58 pm

@sandi wrote:
...I feel bad for the people without amazon who are going to miss this series.
There are places online where they'll be able to find it and watch. I wouldn't be surprised some of the other streaming services might have it.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:50 pm

After finishing S1, I wanted to check and see if talk was favorable enough to warrant another season.

Found out that even before the premiere, it got such positive buzz, it was already approved for a second season. yay

As a matter of fact, here's some info on S2 http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/feature/a865502/jack-ryan-season-2-release-date-cast-trailer-plot/.
Back to top Go down
TBC

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:12 pm

There's no listing on IMDB in S2 for the Foleys. Ed and Mary-Pat are two of my favorite side characters from the books.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 pm

TBC, remember the guy who headed the "black Op" team who first picked Suliman. He was also with Greer and Ryan in Paris when the apartment blew up.

He was the one who carried out the final assassination of Suliman's compatriot.

Anyway, he's going to be this latest iteration of "Clark". hai
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Sup Hodge! :dog:
Thought the show was OK.
To be fair, I've read quite a few of the books.
Think I stopped after Ryan became VP.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:19 pm

I watched the first episode and it was pretty good.  I think Krasinski makes a pretty good Ryan. When he was in the bureau office, I was expecting him to pull some pranks with the flirty treasury analyst,  but haven't quite figured out who the Dwight character is yet.  :goof:
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:45 pm

I'll agree with Hodge & TBC about Red October. However, I still think it woulda been better with Ford. On the other hand, Patriot Games was far and away my favorite of the books. I actually read that 1st and October 2nd. Then the rest in order.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:24 pm

I like that this show has Big Screen production values. I don't know where he Yemen and Syria scenes are filmed, but they look pretty authentic. as well as filming in Paris and the French Alps. I'm through episode 5 and still enjoying it.

That drone pilot just can't get himself fired no matter how hard he tries. He did the right thing, but I don't see how he kept his job and he should voluntarily turn in his wings. He's in the wrong line of work and definitely can't be trusted to follow orders.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 am

I finally finished this series.  I enjoyed it but I had to remind myself that Jack Ryan is a superhero and doesn't need backup.  That Ryan didn't have a radio to communicate during the cell blackout sort of bothered me as unrealistic, but you know, superhero. Overall I liked the action, the cinematography and location shoots. Very well done.

The pointless story about the drone pilot was finally resolved.
I hope his lucky streak at gambling keeps paying off because it sounds like he's going need all the money he can get to keep flying into the danger zone to pay off the families of his innocent victims.  He's definitely in the wrong business and should quit while he's ahead.  He should have been fired much earlier after disobeying orders and choosing his own target.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:46 pm

@MrBill60 wrote:
I finally finished this series.  I enjoyed it but I had to remind myself that Jack Ryan is a superhero and doesn't need backup.  That Ryan didn't have a radio to communicate during the cell blackout sort of bothered me as unrealistic, but you know, superhero. Overall I liked the action, the cinematography and location shoots.  Very well done...
Superhero! On the contrary.

Remember, the scene you're talking about, that was Greer and Ryan's first mission together. Greer even mentioned, "I don't know you." Putting him in that room with the "real" terrorist was a way to get him out of the way while they talked to the "suspected" terrorist.

You know MrBill, I totally agree with you about the locales and cinematography. Great in both areas. IIRC, the locations deemed "Middle-East", were actually filmed in north Africa. The locales in Paris were actually filmed in Canada.

@MrBill60 wrote:
...The pointless story about the drone pilot was finally resolved.
I hope his lucky streak at gambling keeps paying off because it sounds like he's going need all the money he can get to keep flying into the danger zone to pay off the families of his innocent victims.  He's definitely in the wrong business and should quit while he's ahead.  He should have been fired much earlier after disobeying orders and choosing his own target.
Totally pointless unless they bring him back. But, why would they do that? He had nothing to do with the overall story line. Except when he unknowingly helped the mother and her daughters escape the assassin.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 pm

@Hodgepodge wrote:

Remember, the scene you're talking about, that was Greer and Ryan's first mission together. Greer even mentioned, "I don't know you." Putting him in that room with the "real" terrorist was a way to get him out of the way while they talked to the "suspected" terrorist.

Hey, Hodge, good to see you.  I was actually referring to the finale when he was chasing down Suleman outside of the hospital and the subway station.  He was doing all that on his own without any backup or anyone's knowledge of where they were.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:46 pm

@MrBill60 wrote:
Hey, Hodge, good to see you.  I was actually referring to the finale when he was chasing down Suleman outside of the hospital and the subway station.  He was doing all that on his own without any backup or anyone's knowledge of where they were.
Oh, I see now.

IIRC, the scene started off with Ryan and Greer heading to the scene of the bombing at the restaurant. Then Ryan realized it was all a ploy to get to the hospital where the President was under observation.

I remember what you're talking about. They split up when they arrived at the hospital and Ryan ended up tracking Suleiman out of the hospital and to the train station.

Oh, I also think Ryan will have to revisit the boy if the series continues past a couple of seasons. Someone has to pay for killing his father. judgy1
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Yeah, I agree, they definitely need to keep tabs on Suleman's son. Too bad, but he is definitely a risk of becoming an extremist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan   

Back to top Go down

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-