AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 Empty2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 Empty2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 Empty 
gin (20877)
2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 Empty2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 Empty2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

2018-19 NBA Season

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 2:17 pm

If Canada doesn't build a wall that is.

and Trump is going to pay for it
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 2:46 pm

BA, i also really enjoyed the Pistons teams that featured Rip Hamilton, Chauncy Billups, Ben & Rasheed Wallaces, and Tayshaun Prince. Larry Brown coached those teams, too. I am NOT a Lakers fan but i find it impossible not to root for James. Not so much because i see him as a hero on and/or off the court, but because of inertia at this point. I've respected his skill set and work ethic a ton from his very first season, and i feel like he brings together a set of basketball skills that the game hasn't seen either since Oscar Robertson, or maybe even ever before. I've loved watching him play for his whole career. Now that he's starting to decline physically, he's still one of the best players in the Association, and i want to see him adjust psychologically and play out the rest of his career showing that he learned those important lessons about teamwork and sacrifice and understands how they can help him lead another team to greatness. I don't care if he never wins another championship specifically, but i think his choice of LA as a landing pad shows that he realizes that greatness isn't measured purely in championship rings. There are good reasons why Charles Barkley is a Hall-of-Famer and Bob Horry never will be.

I can understand your point, though, that when teams you don't care about are the only ones left playing, it's tough to take interest. I'm somewhat there myself, and don't honestly expect to watch all that much of this year's Finals. I still think it was a great postseason overall, but i'll admit that yet another Golden State blowout will be an anticlimactic coda for it.

Hodge, did you see the news item about how Porzingas threatened to go play in Europe if the Knicks didn't trade him?

Link: https://www.businessinsider.com/kristaps-porzingis-knicks-trade-demand-europe-2019-5

Del, get over it, man. Basketball is an international game now, and Toronto deserves to celebrate this no matter where the players are from. But since you asked, YES, power forward Chris Boucher hails from the Frozen White North.

I'm not interested in debating whether or not giant screens in downtown Vancouver are a good idea. I expect it to be a short series.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 4:15 pm

not knocking basketball, just because toronto is in canada dosent make the raptors canadas team
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 5:15 pm

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
If Canada doesn't build a wall that is.

and Trump is going to pay for it
I thought Trump promised that Canada's wall would be paid for by The Philippines.

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
not knocking basketball, just because toronto is in canada dosent make the raptors canadas team
I can't argue with that. I'd have thought Vancouverites would be more likely to pull for the West Coast team, or at least pretend to give a shit about the Seattle Storm winning the WNBA Finals last year. Vancouver used to have an NBA team of their own, too, if not for very long. But people's memories are short.

I know how *I* feel every time Hodge refers to the Dallas Cowboys as "America's Team." It not quite offensive, but almost, and definitely irritating.

To be honest, i don't mind it SO much from Hodge, because at least he really is a Cowboys fan, but i hate it when the sports media does it. "Red Sox Nation" and "Yankees Universe" are also stupid terms in my humble opinion.

I have some semi-related questions for you, Del:

There's talk that Montreal might get an MLB team again at some point. Don't you think Vancouver deserves one before that?

Should the NFL consider having Canadian teams? How popular is the CFL in Canada? There aren't a ton of teams but they play plenty of games and it seems like the Grey Cup is considered a pretty big deal. Do you follow the sport at all?
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon May 27, 2019 6:33 pm

not a fan of MLB but BC Place Stadium was built for CFL football but can be configured for baseball and is currently the home of the CFL's B.C. Lions and MLS Whitecaps F.C.

I am a fan of the CFL. there are 9 teams a tenth team is suposed to join from atlantic canada in 2021

preseason started this past weekend 2 preseason games 18 regular season games Grey Cup is at the end of November. each team has a 46 man roster 44 man game roster 21 canadian players 20 import players (americans mostly but this year some mexican players have been drafted) and 3 quarterbacks

Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2019 2:51 pm

His Royal Dorkness wrote:
...Hodge, did you see the news item about how Porzingas threatened to go play in Europe if the Knicks didn't trade him?

Link: https://www.businessinsider.com/kristaps-porzingis-knicks-trade-demand-europe-2019-5...
No, I didn't read that article, but I don't blame him.
After Jackson destroyed what was left of the team, I'd want out as well.
Speaking of Phill Jackson...There are rumors he's apart of the dysfunction that the Lakers have become. Add, Kurt Rambis and his wife.  omg

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
Now see, I heard all of Canada are willing to come up with ideas to keep Kawhi in the country.
Foregoing the usual requirements for citizenship, and making him a Canadian citizen immediately.

...I know how *I* feel every time Hodge refers to the Dallas Cowboys as "America's Team." It not quite offensive, but almost, and definitely irritating.

To be honest, i don't mind it SO much from Hodge, because at least he really is a Cowboys fan, but i hate it when the sports media does it. "Red Sox Nation" and "Yankees Universe" are also stupid terms in my humble opinion...
HRD, you know how I love using that term.  lol4  Like you, it drives non-fans into the street screaming and hollering at the top of their lungs.
I usually add...They're probably pinkco-Communist. That really drives non-fans to look for a fire-arm.  lol4
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2019 3:29 pm

who is Kawhi?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Hodgepodge wrote:
...Hodge, did you see the news item about how Porzingas threatened to go play in Europe if the Knicks didn't trade him?

Link: https://www.businessinsider.com/kristaps-porzingis-knicks-trade-demand-europe-2019-5...
No, I didn't read that article, but I don't blame him.
After Jackson destroyed what was left of the team, I'd want out as well.
Speaking of Phill Jackson...There are rumors he's apart of the dysfunction that the Lakers have become. Add, Kurt Rambis and his wife.  omg

I don't think it's fair to blame Phil Jackson alone for all that shit, and obviously Porzingas doesn't either, because Carmelo's last act as a Knick was to run Jackson out of town. So ditto Carmelo. In reality, the responsibility for this last mess rests on the same shoulders as the last ten Knick messes: James Dolan. I'm not about to call for him to sell the team just yet, though. I really do think he's learned a lot from his mistakes of the last ten years, and he has several qualities that every fan wants their franchise owner to have: he's got seriously deep pockets, he's not afraid to spend like crazy, he wants to win, and he's genuinely a nice guy.

Hodgepodge wrote:
ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
Now see, I heard all of Canada are willing to come up with ideas to keep Kawhi in the country.
Foregoing the usual requirements for citizenship, and making him a Canadian citizen immediately.
lol lol

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
who is Kawhi?
One of the elite ballers in the NBA, the best player on the Raptors. He finished 3rd in MVP voting last year, 2nd the year before. Still a young guy, and a free agent after this season.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyThu May 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Kawhi Leonard also already has an NBA Finals MVP Award on his shelf, from when the Spurs beat the Heat.

Which makes it a little odd that he was one of the Raptors players who appeared to make a jitters-related mistake in the first few minutes of tonight's Game 1, which is at the half right now with Toronto up by ten. Luckily for Toronto, the Dubs looked a bit creaky at first after 9 days off and scored the fewest points of any first quarter they've played this postseason.

Toronto NEEDS to hold onto this game if they want to get deep into this series.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyFri May 31, 2019 2:30 am

Now that I've been schooled---hahaha---Toronto takes game one.

can beer can
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 3:11 pm

I'm very glad that Toronto won game 1 at home. I hope that they can win game 2 as well. I really hope this is a moment that Toronto sports fans can remember and hearken back to even if this series doesn't ultimately go their way, because i really don't think they can win 4 games in this series unless there are more injuries to Golden State.

Game 1 was a great game, tons of fun to watch. There were certain things about the Warriors' play that probably won't continue consistently, though. Raptors players got a lot of open shots at times when Golden State's defense didn't rotate. That's something that will not happen as frequently again. "Boogie" Cousins was sluggish and ineffective. He hadn't played in well over a month. He'll get a lot better, and fast. Kevin Durant didn't play. He will. The Dubs shot 43% from the field and gave up 16 turnovers. Both of those numbers are unlikely to be repeated, not to take anything away from the Tenacious D played by the Raptors.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, so mostly i'm just hoping that it IS a good fight, and game 1 showed us that that's at least possible. I am pulling for the Raptors to win the series because they're the underdog, because Toronto has never won an NBA Finals, and because they're the East Coast team, and even a team in the NorthEast. I'd like to see Jeremy Lin, Kyle Lowry, and Marc Gasol win rings. Hell, i'm hoping Jeremy Lin sees some minutes in a win. He's contributed some in the very limited minutes that he's seen this postseason. But i'd be okay with Golden State winning another one. It would cement, in my opinion, the greatest NBA dynasty legacy since the Jordan-era Bulls, and i respect the way they did it. When they went out and got Durant, they didn't say, "Well, we won't need to pay Iguoadala a fair contract next year now," they didn't let any of their established key pieces get away. It was expensive to do that, and every single guy on that team had to sacrifice a little personally to let KD come in and become the top dog.

I hope Toronto can do it again tonight. I hope i can stay awake long enough to watch the whole game.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 10:57 pm

That was definitely worth staying up for. Golden State steals one on the road by owning the 3rd quarter. Cousins is back in form.

Iguodala burying that dagger from downtown with 6 seconds left was straight-up assassin shit. That dagger hit hilt deep in the heart of every Raptors fan. Does anybody else remember when he was known as, "The other A.I.?"

It's possible that the Raptors won't win another game in this series, unless Thompson is more hurt than it initially appeared AND Durant either doesn't come back or comes back but isn't near ready to do so. I hope that they can at least win game 5 back in Toronto.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Toronto has to win one in California or it's over. There will be no momentum without a split. But I wonder if it isn't over now. You don't mess with Golden State. You don't expect them to give you two games. You keep them from doing so. But maybe you can't...
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 1:30 pm

interesting stat i heard on the radio this morning

more Canadians are watching the NBA finals than the Stanley Cup
but
more Americans are watching the reverse...percentage wise of course seeing that you outnumber us 10 to 1

Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 12:11 am

davidalan wrote:
Toronto has to win one in California or it's over.
From a purely technical standpoint, that's only true now that Toronto has lost a home game.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 5:43 pm

davidalan wrote:
...Toronto takes game one.

can beer can
For those that don't know, BA lives in the Canadian portion of Cleveland.  55

I'm very glad that Toronto won game 1 at home. I hope that they can win game 2 as well. I really hope this is a moment that Toronto sports fans can remember and hearken back to even if this series doesn't ultimately go their way, because i really don't think they can win 4 games in this series unless there are more injuries to Golden State...
...It's possible that the Raptors won't win another game in this series, unless Thompson is more hurt than it initially appeared AND Durant either doesn't come back or comes back but isn't near ready to do so. I hope that they can at least win game 5 back in Toronto.
Just heard the report...KD will not play game #3, and GSW is hopeful Klay can suit up.

That was definitely worth staying up for. Golden State steals one on the road by owning the 3rd quarter. Cousins is back in form...
You couldn't have said it any better, HRD. 18-0, run to start that 3rd-qtr.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 11:23 am

Toronto takes game 3. Two Golden State injuries left that team in a bind. I didn't watch the game but from what I read Curry was the main reason GS was even remotely close (at times). I hate injuries. But if things remain status quo Toronto may take another game in Oakland.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Yeah injuries are a crappy way to win or lose a Finals. But it's not like Golden State has recently been on the other side of it. Two years ago both Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love were hurt, and last year the Dubs probably would've won anyway, but LeBron breaking his hand definitely made a difference.

It's possible that the Raptors won't win another game in this series, unless Thompson is more hurt than it initially appeared AND Durant either doesn't come back or comes back but isn't near ready to do so. I hope that they can at least win game 5 back in Toronto.
Looks like those qualifiers were met, and the result was predicted.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 11:45 pm

Toronto wins again. Leads series 3-1. 4-1 in Toronto? I think so.

can bball1 can
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 12:30 am

Van Vleet lost a tooth? Is he with the Maple Leafs?

fall5
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 5:45 am

I think waiting for their backs to be against the wall before bringing back Durant is a dumb idea, and i hope it backfires instantly.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 12:46 pm

I think waiting for their backs to be against the wall before bringing back Durant is a dumb idea, and i hope it backfires instantly.

I hope so.....

the Toronto centric news cycle is wearing on me.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 4:24 pm

davidalan wrote:

can bball1 can

Guys, this thing ends in Toronto in 5 games.

I really expected the Dubs to win game 4 on their home-court, but the whole team was a disappointment. Curry couldn't hit the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

Looks like ExpletiveDeleted is going to have to live thru a whole year with everyone in Canada wearing a Raptors t-shirt. pfft
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Hodgepodge wrote:
davidalan wrote:

can bball1 can

Guys, this thing ends in Toronto in 5 games.

I really expected the Dubs to win game 4 on their home-court, but the whole team was a disappointment. Curry couldn't hit the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

Looks like ExpletiveDeleted is going to have to live thru a whole year with everyone in Canada wearing a Raptors t-shirt. pfft

Band Wagon Jumpers most of them.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 11:43 pm

Warriors aren't done yet. One point victory. Back to Oakland California.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 12:43 pm

and so it continues
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 pm

The road team has won four of five games so far this series. The last four games, in fact. I expect that streak to end in Oakland Thursday night, and it wouldn't surprise me at this point if Game 7 goes to multiple overtimes.

I definitely didn't want the timing of Durant's return to backfire the way it did. Never want to see that.

Right now the momentum is with Golden State, and i don't expect that to change before Game 7, but these Raptors have risen up and won 3 in a row, so whether it swings back to them at any time or not, IMO this has been an NBA Finals for the ages.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 am

So it's confirmed that KD ruptured his achilles tendon, has had reconstructive surgery, and won't be playing again in these Finals.

That sucks. After these two bad back-to-back injuries, probably nobody will be more willing to gamble more on him than James Dolan, so IMO it's now virtually assured that he'll be a Knick next season, and that will likely virtually assure that he'll never be an MVP-calibre player again. cry

Game 6 tonight. I'm betting the family farm on Golden State to finally win a home game in this series.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 12:52 am

can usa can can usa can
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 3:34 am

I'm very glad that Toronto won game 1 at home. I hope that they can win game 2 as well. I really hope this is a moment that Toronto sports fans can remember and hearken back to even if this series doesn't ultimately go their way, because i really don't think they can win 4 games in this series unless there are more injuries to Golden State.

Game 1 was a great game, tons of fun to watch. There were certain things about the Warriors' play that probably won't continue consistently, though. Raptors players got a lot of open shots at times when Golden State's defense didn't rotate. That's something that will not happen as frequently again. "Boogie" Cousins was sluggish and ineffective. He hadn't played in well over a month. He'll get a lot better, and fast. Kevin Durant didn't play. He will. The Dubs shot 43% from the field and gave up 16 turnovers. Both of those numbers are unlikely to be repeated, not to take anything away from the Tenacious D played by the Raptors.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, so mostly i'm just hoping that it IS a good fight, and game 1 showed us that that's at least possible. I am pulling for the Raptors to win the series because they're the underdog, because Toronto has never won an NBA Finals, and because they're the East Coast team, and even a team in the NorthEast. I'd like to see Jeremy Lin, Kyle Lowry, and Marc Gasol win rings. Hell, i'm hoping Jeremy Lin sees some minutes in a win. He's contributed some in the very limited minutes that he's seen this postseason. But i'd be okay with Golden State winning another one. It would cement, in my opinion, the greatest NBA dynasty legacy since the Jordan-era Bulls, and i respect the way they did it. When they went out and got Durant, they didn't say, "Well, we won't need to pay Iguoadala a fair contract next year now," they didn't let any of their established key pieces get away. It was expensive to do that, and every single guy on that team had to sacrifice a little personally to let KD come in and become the top dog.

I hope Toronto can do it again tonight. I hope i can stay awake long enough to watch the whole game.

davidalan wrote:
can usa can can usa can
Well said.

Nice job Golden State on bringing a dynasty after being horrible for 40 years after being a dynasty. Mad respect to both the Finals teams's rosters and support staff, and what i think was one of the best overall NBA Postseasons ... ever. It was up there.

I hope Kawhi decides to call MSG home next season. Shit, bring in Jimmy Butler too, and an all-star guard...

*sigh*

Just please, if it has to be KD, please, please, don't try to pair him with Joel Embiid.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 14, 2019 2:12 pm

It was kind of a weird finals. Only one home victory. Although with a little more oomph by the Raptors game five could have been theirs. The Thompson injury was just stupid and unnecessary in terms of bad things happening. He just landed weird. The Durant injury however was avoidable and recklessly arranged. I'm sure the Warriors will let him drift and try to sign an equally formidable replacement. I hope they pay Thompson what he's worth though and keep him. He belongs there. As for Toronto I hope their team isn't a one and get rid of everyone. But Leonard will command a large price tag. We'll see. If they can improve though they might be the new best team in a still pretty weak East.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 15, 2019 5:34 pm

I hope Kawhi decides to call MSG home next season. Shit, bring in Jimmy Butler too, and an all-star guard...

*sigh*

Just please, if it has to be KD, please, please, don't try to pair him with Joel Embiid.
You know what, HRD. I've got major respect for Kawhi, but if he leaves Toronto next season, I'd be very disappointed.
You don't bring a World Championship to Toronto and leave. You don't turn into what the media has labeled you, rent a player.
Have we put aside all semblance of loyalty over the last several years? Have all the money the owners have put aside for these "Super Deals" gotten the best of our elite?

davidalan wrote:
It was kind of a weird finals. Only one home victory. Although with a little more oomph by the Raptors game five could have been theirs. The Thompson injury was just stupid and unnecessary in terms of bad things happening. He just landed weird...
When he went down BA, I knew it was over. No way could GSW overcome the loss of both KD and Klay.

davidalan wrote:
...The Durant injury however was avoidable and recklessly arranged. I'm sure the Warriors will let him drift and try to sign an equally formidable replacement...
I couldn't understand this one either, BA.

According to Steve Kerr, when they debated allowing KD to play game 5, a torn Achilles wasn't a possibility. And, when he tried to go by Ibaka and dropped the ball, I said right then, "ruptured achilles".

Now, I have no doubt, KD wanted to play. Everyone wanted him to play. Curious whether if someone had mentioned a 50/50 chance of a Achilles tear, would he have made the same choice? I think so, which is why I think he's going to stay with Golden State.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 16, 2019 12:20 am

Kawhi Leonard wanted out of San Antonio, but he didn't demand an immediate trade. Instead, he was traded because he refused to sign an extension and told upper management that he wanted to try his hand in free agency. The Spurs upper management decided to get something for him while they could. As far as i know, he's consistently said the same thing to Raptors management. I don't see it as fair to lose respect for him for following through on what he's said has been his plan for this summer for the last 4 years; to say that he HAS to forget that idea because he led a new team to a title.

Personally i don't think he has any interest in the Knicks. But i can dream, dammit. And if my dream should happen to come true, i don't think anybody should think any less of Leonard.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 16, 2019 1:57 pm

What's better for Leonard? Being a perpetual nomad or a part of a team that may win it all again next year? No one in the East will be as good as Toronto. Milwaukee ended up being a house of cards. And the West? It's apparently sinking when Golden State walks all over everyone and then falls apart because it doesn't have enough balance after all. But Leonard is his own man and can do what he wants. I have my doubts though that if he leaves he'll win another championship. Of course I have no idea where he's going. Based on Golden State's track record however, he could become the new KD!
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 12:22 am

Perpetual nomad? He played out his rookie contract with San Antonio except that they traded him at the end because he said he didn't want an extension. I'm sure he'll want a long-term deal, and he deserves one. He played for The Spurs for 7 years and Toronto for one.

At this point in the season when LeBron James was 27, he was with The Heat, who had finished losing The Finals to Leonard's Spurs and were getting ready to win back-to-back Finals.

He has two NBA Finals MVPs to go with his two Rings, and he's 27 years old. He's been to the All-Star Game three times, each of the last three years. He's a two time Defensive Player of the Year (14-15, 15-16). He led the league in Steals/Game in 14-15.

If he chooses to stay in Toronto, good for them and for him. But if not, i don't think it's fair to toss around labels like nomad nor journeyman.

It would be interesting if Kawhi went to Golden State and they passed on KD.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 1:23 pm

do you think the Raptors are going to be invited to the WH?

its being reported that the crowd for to days parade in TO is 3x bigger than Trumps inauguration
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm

If I was the Raptors I'd go to Ottawa. Trudeau is a superior host. There might even be French cuisine. Not that Julia Trump crap.

As for the nomad statement I made re Leonard, I think I was basing that on whether he'd move on or stay with Toronto. I didn't know his history. I don't follow players that much. I would say that Lebron is a little nomadic however. Him I know a little.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 1:38 am

LOL great call on the first paragraph, BA, and fair enough on the second.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 3:01 pm

Kawhi Leonard wanted out of San Antonio, but he didn't demand an immediate trade. Instead, he was traded because he refused to sign an extension and told upper management that he wanted to try his hand in free agency. The Spurs upper management decided to get something for him while they could. As far as i know, he's consistently said the same thing to Raptors management. I don't see it as fair to lose respect for him for following through on what he's said has been his plan for this summer for the last 4 years; to say that he HAS to forget that idea because he led a new team to a title...
HRD, does the reason for wanting out of San Antonio fall into Pop's lap? Wasn't he the #1 guy there when he wanted out?

I remembered he 'd gotten hurt the previous season, and everyone thought he was holding himself out, against doctors orders, to keep from coming back.

...Personally i don't think he has any interest in the Knicks. But i can dream, dammit. And if my dream should happen to come true, i don't think anybody should think any less of Leonard.
Supposedly, his preferred landing spot is still the L.A. Clippers. I heard he was from the L.A. area.

davidalan wrote:
What's better for Leonard? Being a perpetual nomad or a part of a team that may win it all again next year? No one in the East will be as good as Toronto. Milwaukee ended up being a house of cards. And the West? It's apparently sinking when Golden State walks all over everyone and then falls apart because it doesn't have enough balance after all. But Leonard is his own man and can do what he wants. I have my doubts though that if he leaves he'll win another championship. Of course I have no idea where he's going. Based on Golden State's track record however, he could become the new KD!
Does anyone know what the "free-agency" picture looks like in Toronto? I heard Gasol is a FA, but is he the only one?

Perpetual nomad? He played out his rookie contract with San Antonio except that they traded him at the end because he said he didn't want an extension. I'm sure he'll want a long-term deal, and he deserves one. He played for The Spurs for 7 years and Toronto for one...
Yeah, he's only played for two teams in his career. Spurs and Raptors.
IIRC, he spent 7 seasons in San Antonio before being traded to Toronto.
He definitely deserves a "Max-deal" somewhere, and I'm sure he's going to get it. Just hoping it's with our neighbors to the north.

...At this point in the season when LeBron James was 27, he was with The Heat, who had finished losing The Finals to Leonard's Spurs and were getting ready to win back-to-back Finals...
Speaking of LeBron...What does everyone think of the Lakers acquisition of Anthony Davis?

ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
do you think the Raptors are going to be invited to the WH?

its being reported that the crowd for to days parade in TO is 3x bigger than Trumps inauguration
I don't think they'll be invited. And, if they are, I hope they decide not to go.

It was an unbelievable crowd in Toronto. I'd never seen it during daylight hours. What a beautiful city.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Hodge, Iirc, Kawhi's agent had been saying politically safe things like, "Mr. Leonard has loved his time here in San Antonio, and appreciates and respects his teammates and the entire Spurs staff and front office; but he's determined to test the waters of free agency when his current contract is over because he'd like the opportunity to choose his own priorities for the remainder of his professional career." It might be worth noting that Kawhi's current contract does have a player option for the upcoming season with a little over $21M guaranteed, so if he doesn't see anything he particularly likes, he could cool his heels for another season without making a long-term commitment.

I also recall hearing that he'd butted heads with Pop a bit, but i remember hearing the same thing about practically every star that ever played there except maybe Tony Parker. Ginobili, Duncan, and Robinson for sure. Pops is a challenging coach, and a lot of players don't like that style, especially in this day and age.

I'll wish the Clippers luck, and they could become a scary good team with that single acquisition. It's amazing what Doc Rivers has done with that franchise.

The Davis trade is one of those massive deals that will only be fairly judged in retrospect. We'll have to see how it goes for those two franchises going forward. It's possible that it could go well for both of them. New Orleans got an unprecedented amount of compensation for the services of a player for a single year, but if LBJ and the Lakers can win Davis over personally and professionally, and sign him for at least 3-4 years, they could have the essentials needed to build a potential dynasty. I think the odds of the trade working out well for the Pelicans are higher, but they're also a bit more deferred. We'll have to see if they can use those compensations as shrewdly as they bargained for them. Iirc, they got three players, four draft picks, and cap space help. It's a monster deal. I really think that like i said at first, we won't really know how this deal will rank historically until we see how the next few seasons play out for the franchises involved. It seems fairly safe to say that the deal WILL go down in history though.

If i haven't already made my feelings clear, i also hope the Raptors don't go to Trump's White House, though i also agree that it seems unlikely that they'll be invited.

As for the free agency picture in Toronto, Danny Green is the only other player who saw a lot of minutes who's headed into free agency this summer. However, next season is the last contract year for almost all the rest of the core players: Lowry, Siakam, VanVleet, and Ibaka.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 12:38 pm

Tomorrow the NBA hands out the season's awards (MVP, DPoY, Most Improved, et c).

Why does the Association wait so long to do this? I mean, they did the draft already. Only true diehards are paying any attention to the NBA at this time, with Baseball in full swing and Football about to get started. I don't understand the delay.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Anyway, my picks for the awards:

MVP: Giannis Antetokounmpo; biggest two-way impact player in the Association this year, and not to overlook the fact that Khris Middleton made an All-Star appearance this year, Giannas basically single-handedly carried an otherwise subpar team to the conference finals.

Rookie OTY: I'd pick Trae Young by a slim margin over Deandre Ayton. Young played (and started) ten more games, scored more, and had 8.1 Assists/gm. Ayton had a bigger defensive impact and averaged a double-double in 71 games (70 starts) and would be a worthy winner.

6th Man: It's interesting that two of the three finalists are LA Clippers. Even more interesting that i really do dig Sabonis' skill set, but i think this year it'll come down to two players from the same team. I'd give Lou Williams the slight edge in spite of the fact that Montrezl played all 82 games. Any of the three would be a worthy winner imo.

Defensive Player OTY: This is always a tough call for me, particularly in seasons where i don't get several looks at every team. At least this year i feel like i got a significant amount of time watching each finalist. My initial response is that George's defensive season in retrospect is a little outclassed by the years had by Gobert and Giannis. I want to pick Gobert partially because no Jazz made the All-Star Game this year. But ultimately i think it probably was Giannis, even though he was the only finalist to have less than 2 Blocks/Gm.

Most Improved Player OTY: Siakam. JMO, i didn't really see the other finalists much this year. Just checking the stats and i felt like Pascal had the biggest jump.

Coach OTY: Doc Rivers. I was a little upset that Mike Malone (Denver) made the list over Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder. This was probably a year that should've had 4 finalists. Ultimately i feel that Rivers accomplished the most out of the available resources but any of the four (other is Budenholzer, Milwaukee) would be a worthy winner imo.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Hodge, ...I also recall hearing that he'd butted heads with Pop a bit, but i remember hearing the same thing about practically every star that ever played there except maybe Tony Parker. Ginobili, Duncan, and Robinson for sure. Pops is a challenging coach, and a lot of players don't like that style, especially in this day and age...
Now see, I was under the impression everyone loved Pop because he challenged his players to be better.

I remember when Kawahi came into the league, he had great length, but Pop made him a better defender. Plus, he didn't have a mid-range shot when he came into the league, let alone a 3-pointer. Pop supposedly made him better in both those areas.

...I'll wish the Clippers luck, and they could become a scary good team with that single acquisition. It's amazing what Doc Rivers has done with that franchise...
An amazing job, HRD!
He was my pick for "Coach of the Year", in last nights awards.

...The Davis trade is one of those massive deals that will only be fairly judged in retrospect. We'll have to see how it goes for those two franchises going forward. It's possible that it could go well for both of them. New Orleans got an unprecedented amount of compensation for the services of a player for a single year, but if LBJ and the Lakers can win Davis over personally and professionally, and sign him for at least 3-4 years, they could have the essentials needed to build a potential dynasty. I think the odds of the trade working out well for the Pelicans are higher, but they're also a bit more deferred. We'll have to see if they can use those compensations as shrewdly as they bargained for them. Iirc, they got three players, four draft picks, and cap space help. It's a monster deal. I really think that like i said at first, we won't really know how this deal will rank historically until we see how the next few seasons play out for the franchises involved. It seems fairly safe to say that the deal WILL go down in history though...
As you know, I'm not a Lakers fan, but I feel like they paid to much.
Three "first-round picks", including this years "4th-overall"! Jesus H Christ! And that doesn't include all the players that were sent to New Orleans. Ball should've been let go a couple of seasons ago. JMO!
Now, I think LBJ will convince him to sign long-term, AD has this younger-brother attitude when it comes to "King" James.

...As for the free agency picture in Toronto, Danny Green is the only other player who saw a lot of minutes who's headed into free agency this summer. However, next season is the last contract year for almost all the rest of the core players: Lowry, Siakam, VanVleet, and Ibaka.
Man, they'll need to resign most of those guys if they plan on repeating. Oh, and that includes Kawahi staying.  32

Tomorrow the NBA hands out the season's awards (MVP, DPoY, Most Improved, et c).

Why does the Association wait so long to do this? I mean, they did the draft already. Only true diehards are paying any attention to the NBA at this time, with Baseball in full swing and Football about to get started. I don't understand the delay.
The most ridiculous thing in sports.
If I hadn't been paying attention, I would've missed last nights festivities. I'd just assumed I missed it before last night.  ?

Anyway, my picks for the awards:

MVP: Giannis Antetokounmpo; biggest two-way impact player in the Association this year, and not to overlook the fact that Khris Middleton made an All-Star appearance this year, Giannas basically single-handedly carried an otherwise subpar team to the conference finals.

Rookie OTY: I'd pick Trae Young by a slim margin over Deandre Ayton. Young played (and started) ten more games, scored more, and had 8.1 Assists/gm. Ayton had a bigger defensive impact and averaged a double-double in 71 games (70 starts) and would be a worthy winner.

6th Man: It's interesting that two of the three finalists are LA Clippers. Even more interesting that i really do dig Sabonis' skill set, but i think this year it'll come down to two players from the same team. I'd give Lou Williams the slight edge in spite of the fact that Montrezl played all 82 games. Any of the three would be a worthy winner imo.

Defensive Player OTY: This is always a tough call for me, particularly in seasons where i don't get several looks at every team. At least this year i feel like i got a significant amount of time watching each finalist. My initial response is that George's defensive season in retrospect is a little outclassed by the years had by Gobert and Giannis. I want to pick Gobert partially because no Jazz made the All-Star Game this year. But ultimately i think it probably was Giannis, even though he was the only finalist to have less than 2 Blocks/Gm.

Most Improved Player OTY: Siakam. JMO, i didn't really see the other finalists much this year. Just checking the stats and i felt like Pascal had the biggest jump.

Coach OTY: Doc Rivers. I was a little upset that Mike Malone (Denver) made the list over Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder. This was probably a year that should've had 4 finalists. Ultimately i feel that Rivers accomplished the most out of the available resources but any of the four (other is Budenholzer, Milwaukee) would be a worthy winner imo.
We weren't that far off!

Remember, we'd both given the nodded to Giannis for MVP. I'm so glad the media didn't reward Harden for making basketball a one-man sport.
I thought it was going to be "Doc" Rivers as well, but it ended up Budenholzer, which wasn't a bad choice either.

I went with the winner Luka Doncic, for RotY. He came into the League and lit it up. It took Trae most of the season to show his potential.

Lou Williams has won the 6th-Man award before. Plus, he came into games in the 2nd-quarter and still lead the Clippers in scoring.

Siakam was another shoe-end. IIRC, the guy didn't start playing the game until college. Now, he's won a NBA Finals.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Hodgepodge wrote:
Now see, I was under the impression everyone loved Pop because he challenged his players to be better.
Oh, please. Allen Iverson used to take a lot of heat for his disdain for structure, remember, "Man, we talkin' about practice. Not a game, not a Game, but PRACTice"?? The reality though is that he was merely saying what a lot of pros have always thought, and that share of "a lot of pros" has only been growing over the years. Now, the reality in the NBA is that practice really is important, and teams that have solid structure are more likely to do well. "Pop"s ring collection speaks well of that. And he's respected for the way he coaches, but respect is very different from liked much less loved.

Hodgepodge wrote:
I remember when Kawahi came into the league, he had great length, but Pop made him a better defender. Plus, he didn't have a mid-range shot when he came into the league, let alone a 3-pointer. Pop supposedly made him better in both those areas.
I guess a guy in Kawhi's spot two or three years ago, who's busted ass for Pops and developed those skill sets wants a minute to rest on those laurels, get some appreciation for the improvements he's made in his game, and just enjoy being at the top of his game, if not for the rest of his career, at least for a season or two, maybe even just a few months. But Pops don't play that. It's, "you got your mid-range jumper now (you're welcome); you're a genuine threat from the perimeter now (you're welcome); NOW, it's time you picked up your defensive game (you'll thank me when you're there)." It's not hard to say Pops is right, because when you stop getting better in this Association, you're automatically getting worse, because the competition ONLY improves year-to-year. But once a relationship sours, it can be difficult if not impossible to get things back on track, especially when we're talking about the kind of massive egos that flourish in the NBA.

Hodgepodge wrote:
As you know, I'm not a Lakers fan, but I feel like they paid to much.
Three "first-round picks", including this years "4th-overall"! Jesus H Christ! And that doesn't include all the players that were sent to New Orleans. Ball should've been let go a couple of seasons ago. JMO!
Now, I think LBJ will convince him to sign long-term, AD has this younger-brother attitude when it comes to "King" James.
I think Lonzo Ball has yet to come into his own in the NBA yet. Do i think he'll be everything his father expects? Of course not. But he's still very young (21 years old) and he's eager to learn and, perhaps most importantly, i don't think his dad's blatherings distract him. He strikes me an emotionally grounded young man who's proven his willingness to play a role, work hard, learn from others, be a part of a team - all qualities that could turn him into a true leader on the hardwood a few short years from now. Frankly, out of a BIG grab bag of high-quality goodies that N'Orleans got in that trade, he might turn out to be the single best piece.

If Davis doesn't sign at least a 3 year extension, this will go down as the worst trade in NBA history to date. All of Jimmy Dolan's blunders combined will look a lot better by comparison.

Hodgepodge wrote:
We weren't that far off!

Remember, we'd both given the nodded to Giannis for MVP. I'm so glad the media didn't reward Harden for making basketball a one-man sport.
I thought it was going to be "Doc" Rivers as well, but it ended up Budenholzer, which wasn't a bad choice either.

I went with the winner Luka Doncic, for RotY. He came into the League and lit it up. It took Trae most of the season to show his potential.

Lou Williams has won the 6th-Man award before. Plus, he came into games in the 2nd-quarter and still lead the Clippers in scoring.

Siakam was another shoe-end. IIRC, the guy didn't start playing the game until college. Now, he's won a NBA Finals.
Yeah, we did pretty good. I'd mentioned Budenholzer as a good option for coach. I was off on Rookie, but i forgive myself, and you nailed that one.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Oh, please. Allen Iverson used to take a lot of heat for his disdain for structure, remember, "Man, we talkin' about practice. Not a game, not a Game, but PRACTice"?? The reality though is that he was merely saying what a lot of pros have always thought, and that share of "a lot of pros" has only been growing over the years. Now, the reality in the NBA is that practice really is important, and teams that have solid structure are more likely to do well. "Pop"s ring collection speaks well of that. And he's respected for the way he coaches, but respect is very different from liked much less loved...
Got to love AI!  I love you

Yeah, I'm with you. Practice turns individuals into a well-oiled team.

I guess a guy in Kawhi's spot two or three years ago, who's busted ass for Pops and developed those skill sets wants a minute to rest on those laurels, get some appreciation for the improvements he's made in his game, and just enjoy being at the top of his game, if not for the rest of his career, at least for a season or two, maybe even just a few months. But Pops don't play that. It's, "you got your mid-range jumper now (you're welcome); you're a genuine threat from the perimeter now (you're welcome); NOW, it's time you picked up your defensive game (you'll thank me when you're there)." It's not hard to say Pops is right, because when you stop getting better in this Association, you're automatically getting worse, because the competition ONLY improves year-to-year. But once a relationship sours, it can be difficult if not impossible to get things back on track, especially when we're talking about the kind of massive egos that flourish in the NBA...
I got the impression Kawhi felt disrespected by Pop.
After all he'd given to Pop and the Spurs over the years, why wasn't he willing to accept Kawhi's feeling he was still hurting after his surgery.
Pop may've been under pressure from ownership to get him back on the court. A conflict ensued, and a great friendship was fractured.

I think Lonzo Ball has yet to come into his own in the NBA yet. Do i think he'll be everything his father expects? Of course not. But he's still very young (21 years old) and he's eager to learn and, perhaps most importantly, i don't think his dad's blatherings distract him. He strikes me an emotionally grounded young man who's proven his willingness to play a role, work hard, learn from others, be a part of a team - all qualities that could turn him into a true leader on the hardwood a few short years from now. Frankly, out of a BIG grab bag of high-quality goodies that N'Orleans got in that trade, he might turn out to be the single best piece...
Well, I still look at Lonzo's shot and want to vomit.  drool
I will give you, his overall court awareness. His passing ability. He's big enough to be a good defender. And, he's still got time to grow.

...If Davis doesn't sign at least a 3 year extension, this will go down as the worst trade in NBA history to date. All of Jimmy Dolan's blunders combined will look a lot better by comparison...
Well, the stuff I've been hearing since the trade tells me, his long term deal is a shoe-in.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 7:59 pm

You could be spot on about what went down between Leonard, Pops, and the Spurs organization. If so, i don't feel bad one bit for the Spurs nor for Pops. Sometimes i think a coach has to be willing to take a stand for his players as well as representing management's desires to those same players. It can be a difficult balancing act, but the Spurs had a lot of success over more than a decade, so imo if trust was being lost somewhere than Kawhi was right to get out of the organization and go somewhere new. Winning another Finals MVP puts an exclamation point on the validation that the successful season already provided. For Toronto, winning the Finals was clearly the goal, as they'd been on the brink of being championship-calibre for a couple years and had just won their division 3 of the last 4 years.

________

The Lakers-Pelicans deal has been expanded to bring in the Washington Wizards, and as of right now the Lakers have three guys signed for the coming season. They literally emptied their roster other than LBJ, AD, and Kyle Kuzma. Two small forwards and a center. These guys would tear up Ice Cube's Big3 semi-pro basketball league.

Did you see any of the Big3, Hodge? It's a fun concept, but it was a little difficult to see Greg Oden out there on his creaky knees trying to compete without injuring himself again.

I'm no Lakers fan either, but i've always rooted for LBJ, and i've enjoyed AD as well. It'll be interesting to see how they use the resources they have left to fill out all that roster space. If they were to sign Kawhi, they'd need to pay a whole handful of players league minimum and another handful less than the mid-level exception to avoid the luxury tax.

When i saw this morning's headlines about yesterday's frenzy, i was scanning and re-scanning to see what the Knicks scored.

Julius Randle and Taj Gibson.

https://twitter.com/valleyboyzz_/status/1145497747732062208

Knicks President Steve Mills understands that some fans could be disappointed.

MmmKay. 77

He'd have been better off just admitting that nobody wants to play for this fucked up franchise. Sad
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 8:19 pm

So anyway.

Brooklyn is about to pay KD a full assfuckton (equal to two cheekfucktons) to not play at all for the next year +. But they got Kyrie and KD the year after that. Nicely done, Jizzle & crew.

Miami got Jimmy Butler. Like a day after Dwayne Wade hinted on Twitter that that was about the only thing that could get him back on the hardwood next season. DWade just did a straight-up farewell tour, and the NBA ain't like Rock 'N' Roll, idk if he'll really come back or not. If he does, it'd virtually have to be at league minimum as Miami is already into the luxury tax for the coming season.

Kemba Walker will be replacing Irving at the point in Boston. I think that improves the C's.

A lot of the other action may yet be impermanent. Wags are saying Golden State may flip Russell. They won't likely be bringing back "The Other A.I." though they did re-sign Splash Brother Klay Thompson, who will be making a lot of money to not play basketball.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 am

So apparently the Heat and 76ers got the Clippers and Blazers involved in their trade, and Philly also signed Al Horford away from Boston. The deal now gives Miami significant cap relief as well as a nice bench big man (C/PF) in Meyers Leonard. LA picked up Maurice Harkless from Portland and a future first-round pick. Harkless should be a good fit for the Clippers. Miami is sending true center Hassan Whiteside to Portland and SG/SF Josh Richardson to Philly. There's speculation that Richardson could flourish in Philly in ways that he didn't in Miami, though i think his stats have been respectable; he's 25 and just finished his 4th year in the Association, being a full-time starter the last two years.

On the face of it, this is a deal that benefits every player and franchise involved. Leonard, Whiteside, and Richardson are playing on contracts that are due to expire.

If Richardson plays up to his potential in his contract year, and Horford stays healthy (he's been healthy the last 5 years and most of his career so far, though he did just turn 32, which is getting up there for a big man), Philly could potentially be the beasts of the East this year. Consider that Brooklyn won't have KD playing. If Kawhi Leonard decides to take his player option year in Toronto, Philly could give them a run for their money. My main concern for Philly is Joel Embiid: there's no doubting his skills and physical ability, but i question his heart; he's young, though, he's 24 with about 2 1/2 years playing in the NBA, so it's not too late for him to mature and develop some mental and emotional toughness.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 2:53 pm

...The Lakers-Pelicans deal has been expanded to bring in the Washington Wizards, and as of right now the Lakers have three guys signed for the coming season. They literally emptied their roster other than LBJ, AD, and Kyle Kuzma. Two small forwards and a center.

...I'm no Lakers fan either, but i've always rooted for LBJ, and i've enjoyed AD as well. It'll be interesting to see how they use the resources they have left to fill out all that roster space. If they were to sign Kawhi, they'd need to pay a whole handful of players league minimum and another handful less than the mid-level exception to avoid the luxury tax.
Apparently the fascination of playing with LBJ is still high enough to coze Kawhi to give the Lakers a long look.
To me, that's the only reason he'd go to the other L.A. team.  dunno
He's got multiple Finals wins, and with those wins came Finals MVP's, so that can't be the reason. ?

...Did you see any of the Big3, Hodge? It's a fun concept, but it was a little difficult to see Greg Oden out there on his creaky knees trying to compete without injuring himself again...
HRD, it was something I couldn't watch especially when I saw "Big Baby" Davis out there.

...When i saw this morning's headlines about yesterday's frenzy, i was scanning and re-scanning to see what the Knicks scored.

Julius Randle and Taj Gibson.

https://twitter.com/valleyboyzz_/status/1145497747732062208

Knicks President Steve Mills understands that some fans could be disappointed.

MmmKay. 77

He'd have been better off just admitting that nobody wants to play for this fucked up franchise. Sad
I think the Knicks put all of their eggs in one basket. That basket, getting KD to come play in the market. They also thought KD would bring another super-star with him.
HRD, I personally think it was a done deal, and were misled by KD and his camp.
Here's something you may not know happened...KD told everyone involved, including Westbrook, he was going to stay in OKC. He was just going to listen to what GSW was selling.
He met with GSW, then sent a text to OKC telling them he was gone. They didn't even deserve a phone call, let alone a fact-to-face.

So anyway.

...Miami got Jimmy Butler. Like a day after Dwayne Wade hinted on Twitter that that was about the only thing that could get him back on the hardwood next season. DWade just did a straight-up farewell tour, and the NBA ain't like Rock 'N' Roll, idk if he'll really come back or not. If he does, it'd virtually have to be at league minimum as Miami is already into the luxury tax for the coming season...
What in the world did Jimmy Butler see in Miami? As you mention, DWade is gone.
Is Sproltra (spl) still the coach?
I know they've got the left-handed guard, can't think of his name right now, but that's all I can name.

...A lot of the other action may yet be impermanent. Wags are saying Golden State may flip Russell. They won't likely be bringing back "The Other A.I." though they did re-sign Splash Brother Klay Thompson, who will be making a lot of money to not play basketball.
How long was the deal for Russell? Is he going to replace Klay until he returns?

So apparently the Heat and 76ers got the Clippers and Blazers involved in their trade, and Philly also signed Al Horford away from Boston. The deal now gives Miami significant cap relief as well as a nice bench big man (C/PF) in Meyers Leonard. LA picked up Maurice Harkless from Portland and a future first-round pick. Harkless should be a good fit for the Clippers. Miami is sending true center Hassan Whiteside to Portland and SG/SF Josh Richardson to Philly. There's speculation that Richardson could flourish in Philly in ways that he didn't in Miami, though i think his stats have been respectable; he's 25 and just finished his 4th year in the Association, being a full-time starter the last two years...
When I heard about Hartford, I was trying to figure out how they were going to play him and Embid together? They both primarily play with their backs to the baskets. I don't see this working.

What got me was the "Max" contract for Ben Simmons.
I know you think highly of the kid, but he can't shoot outside the "key" Give me a break!
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 pm

To address your first point, i think it could be misdirection. While Kawhi sits back and strings the Lakers along, all the other potential max deal players are getting snapped up other franchises. Then when he signs across town (or back in Toronto, remember he still has a one-year player option), it's too late for the Lakers to put together a "Big 3." At first, Kawhi would only meet with owner Jeanne Buss, then he says it's okay for the GM to be there, he's chatting with "Magic" who legally barred from repping the Lakers in a legal sense but is fully entitled to share his opinions with Leonard.

As for what he might see there if he is in fact genuinely interested, i'd say a potential dynasty. For many players, the opportunity to be part of something generational means a lot more than other things. I also feel obligated to point out, and i mean no disrespect to the Clippers, that merchandising as a Laker is one of the most financially lucrative opportunities in all of professional sport. In the NBA, only the Knicks surpass them, and very very few other franchises get anywhere near those top two.

As for the Knicks' offseason so far and the situation with KD: given what happened with Durant's achilles, it's almost certainly for the best that he didn't sign with the Knicks. Dolan has spent way too much on far too many rehab cases and Knicks' fans are done with it. Yes, we're not happy with what we picked up, but missing out on KD & Kyrie isn't the worst thing. I think Jimmy Butler would not work out as a Knick, he's too mercurial of a player both personally and professionally. Professionally, he goes through hot and cold streaks, and the fans in MSG can be tough when a player is going through a slump. When NYC fans get rough on somebody, it can be ugly. I'm not saying i think he'd have wound up changing his name to Mega Galactic Tranquility, but i don't think he'd like calling MSG home court, and yes that's a shame, but i'm pretty sure i'm right. Klay Thompson, aside from also being seriously injured, was, like many other players, never actually going to be available for the Knicks. So IMHO, the two players they coulda shoulda made offers to were Kemba Walker and Al Horford.

Now, you brought up a valid weak point in Horford's game, and you have a very strong point that he and Joel Embiid have weaknesses that may exacerbate each other. I have a pretty negative impression of Embiid as a basketball player in spite of my respect for his skills and athleticism. So if Horford can make some adjustments to let Joel own the low post (and not do all that great a job at it), Philly can be very dangerous. The 76ers might not be done making deals yet, only time will tell for sure. But if they are done, i think they look a little deeper overall even if no single player they added has the value of Jimmy Butler.

Which brings me to another good question you raised: what does Butler see in Miami? The other day, on Twitter, fans were bugging DWade to come back, play limited minutes off the bench for the league minimum, and help out as Miami transitions. He wasn't entirely resistant to the idea at first, but his resolve seemed to harden a bit as the session went on. But then, he seemed to imply that if Jimmy Butler came to South Beach, he might just feel obligated to do it, because he loves Butler and has always wanted to play with him and/or mentor him a bit. Then suddenly it happened. Now, Dwayne is in no legal sense obligated to do anything, but i wouldn't be even slightly surprised if that had something to do with it.

But there are other great things about playing for the Heat. They have great talent scouts and their owner has deep pockets. This is the franchise that won the Shaq Sweepstakes and LeBron's The Decision. They can bring in other talent to surround Butler, and they're not afraid to pay. Headed into free agency, they were well over the soft cap and fairly close to the hard cap. Now, they've unloaded a lot of big contracts. Keep in mind that Miami had Wade in his goodbye tour year last year and mostly a bunch of talented guys who most casual fans have never heard of, and they finished only a couple games out of a playoff berth. YES Eric Spoelstra is still there and you can definitely count that as a selling point. Pat Riley is also still there, and is credited as the architect of the deal that brought Butler into the fold.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that home games are played in Dade County. Butler is still a single guy, y'know. :goof:

Russell got 4 years and $117M. I'm not sure what Golden State's exact plans are, but i think Curry would stay on the 1, which would put Russell on the 2 at least until Klay returns, which won't be for a full season. There is some speculation that they might be looking to trade Russell before, during, or after the coming season. It's going to be a little difficult to predict what the Dubs are going to look like next year with KD, AI, and "Boogie" gone and Thompson on IR the whole year.

You're right that i have a good opinion on Ben Simmons. Yeah, he needs to develop an outside shot, but he's got all the other tools needed to become a perennial All-Star Point Guard, including solid defense. I think his mid-range jumper could use some work but isn't terrible, but i have to agree with you that a max deal seems premature. He's 22 and has two seasons under his belt. They've both been outstanding seasons, but he didn't make the All-NBA Team (yet, i guess), and while i think he was definitely worth more than the mid-level exception, i think jumping straight to a max contract probably overvalues him. He definitely could prove us wrong on that, but really only if he develops his perimeter game without getting rust on any of his other skills.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

2018-19 NBA Season
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next