A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inMLB Hall of Fame! TVGuidebbtn

MLB Hall of Fame!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Glad to see Mo getting inducted, it's a bit much that he's the first unanimous selection.

Glad to see Moose and Halladay getting in, but without Clemens already there, it seems a bit off. I'm sure lots of folks are steamed about Schilling getting stiffed again too, and while i'm not a fan (to be fair, not a fan of Clemens either), there's a good argument there, maybe more about Halladay than about Mussina.

It's fine to see Edgar Martinez getting in too, but there are a handful of better hitters who also played defense who are still on the outside looking in, and while i might personally like Martinez more than any of them, it's still pretty glaring.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 am

I had not seen the video of Jeter and Pettitte walking out to the mound in Rivera's last game until this week. Very touching.

Glad for Mike Mussina. We saw him pitch for the O's before they succumbed to the Dark Side. He's apparently in no hurry on whether he'll go in as an O or a Yankee or neither (which I didn't know was an option).
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 am

I think Mussina should go in as an Oriole. He had his best years as an Oriole, and played for them longer. 10 years in Baltimore, 8 in New York. All 5 All-Star appearances came as an Oriole. 8 times he received Cy Young votes in Baltimore; that happened in New York only in his first and last years there.

The stats that best make the case for Mussina's induction are his win total, winning percentage, and over 2800 strikeouts. 147 - 81 as an Oriole, win pct .644; 123 - 72 as a Yankee, win pct .630. Strikeouts as an Oriole: 1535; as a Yankee: 1278 - very slight (2%) Yankee edge in K/yr (153.5; 159.5).

He never did win a World Series, either, though he certainly did a lot more playoff work with the Yankees.

If he feels he'd rather wear a Yankees cap, i'm fine with that. He was a great player for the Yankees for a long time. I'm glad it's up to him to decide. I never knew neither was an option either; is that new?
Back to top Go down
Maturin

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 9:00 pm

This is based on me reading a few stories about Mussina, but my sense is that the player gets to weigh in -- and I fussed w/that sentence in my first post specifically to avoid the word "decide." tongue

But agree with your logic on which hat should represent him.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 pm

My impression has been that the player gets to decide which hat to wear. I remember a LOT of fuss and indignation in NY about Gary Carter choosing the Expos cap. He only started and ended his career in Montreal, as well as playing more than half of career there; doesn't he realize how important '86 was for NYC?!?

At that time (2003), the Expos no longer existed, and Carter was the first player elected to the Hall to wear their cap; there was speculation that he might be the only one. He has since been joined by Andre Dawson (2010) and Tim Raines (2017).
Back to top Go down
Maturin

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 9:29 pm

My second post possibly makes no sense because I misread what you were asking about (tho I did get the impression that it's not entirely up to the player but maybe that was the sangria). I don't know about the neither option. Pitchers and catchers report pretty soon, woot. That I do know.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 10:01 pm

I'm certainly no expert on the Hall of Fame myself, and i also tend to post while drinking.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 7:38 am

Mussina decided he wanted to wear a Yankees cap for enshrinement, and the Hall signed off on it.

I found this piece from the Baltimore Sun, which answers some of our questions from upthread: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-mussina-hall-of-fame-hats-20190123-story.html
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 2:40 pm

I liked the Commish reading Rivera's HoF plaque. cry
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 6:49 am

That part was pretty cool. I liked seeing Rivera's crowd, lots of familiar faces.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2019 10:30 pm

Sox bounced back this past weekend. They won 3-4 from the Yankees. woooo
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptySat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 pm

As of right now, the Yankees have won 9 of their last 10, Boston 3 of their last 10. The Yankees are 15 games ahead of Boston, though it's only 14 in the loss column.

I'll take the rest of this to the main thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! Empty

Back to top Go down

MLB Hall of Fame!
Page 1 of 1