HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in2019 Season TVGuidebbtn

2019 Season

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maturin

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 2:06 am

Phuckin Phillies.

Best of luck, Bryce. Enjoyed every minute.

Go Nats.  base
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 7:54 am

I'm kind of surprised to hear that. I know they were considered the most likely to land him, though some folks in Southern California said otherwise. Personally i'd expected him to go someplace more likely to win big soon.

Oh well. I guess we can get used to seeing Philly in the mix again, although they'll pitching help before they can contend for anything significant.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Rich Man!   2019 Season EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Heard today that the Anaheim Angels outfielder Mike Trout has agreed to a contract extinction. 12years/$430Mil!
This will be the largest contract in "sports" history.
I should check to see if we're related. Surprised
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Give us the dirt if you manage to figure out the lowest possible number of degrees of separation, Hodge.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 4:58 am

Never mind me. I am just enjoying the M's being off to a hot start to the season while it lasts. Not really bothered that most of the wins came against a bunch of really crappy teams...White Sox, Royals, Red Sox...
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Haven't they gotten off to hot starts the last few years? I overheard a couple people at work saying that Seattle could win the West this year. When i saw that Ichiro was on the roster for opening day, i wasn't sure what to think: i thought i'd heard that he'd wanted to become a batting instructor and/or bench coach, and that he'd hung up the cleats, so was it just a stunt? They ran him out to right field for a couple games and he went hitless with a walk and a strikeout in 6 plate appearances, and now he's off the roster again. What was up with that, TBC?

But they're not just hot, they are ON FIRE. That division is doing great so far - no team is under .500 yet. Meanwhile in the East, only Tampa has a winning record. It is still verrry early though.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 1:45 pm

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:
Haven't they gotten off to hot starts the last few years? I overheard a couple people at work saying that Seattle could win the West this year. When i saw that Ichiro was on the roster for opening day, i wasn't sure what to think: i thought i'd heard that he'd wanted to become a batting instructor and/or bench coach, and that he'd hung up the cleats, so was it just a stunt? They ran him out to right field for a couple games and he went hitless with a walk and a strikeout in 6 plate appearances, and now he's off the roster again. What was up with that, TBC...
HRD, I thought Ichiro had retired as well. He's got to be as old as you are, especially since you've had another birthday.

I'm hoping the Angels can stay within reach this season. I think they've made the playoffs once in the last 10 years. cry

My Dodgers have gotten off to an excellent start this season. Add that to Belinger leading MLB in HRs, could be an omen for good things. Man, I'd like for them to win another World Series before my time is up. scrd
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Mariners had a season-opening series in the Tokyo Dome against the A's a few days before everybody else opened. That was Ichiro's curtain call, and yeah, it was pretty much a PR stunt. The first Japanese position player to come to the US ends his long career playing in Japan with the MLB team that signed him 18 years ago. And then for the third time he turned down an award given to Japanese civilians which has only twice previously been handed out to a baseball player, Saduharu Oh being one of them, saying through a third party that he would prefer that such an honor come later after he has completed more of his life's work. Somehow I don't think his plans from here on out involve blathering insipidly on NHK's "Ichiban Besebaru", starting a company farming Sea Bream in Truk Lagoon, or idly destroying his liver.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 4:47 pm

@Hodgepodge wrote:
Haven't they gotten off to hot starts the last few years? I overheard a couple people at work saying that Seattle could win the West this year. When i saw that Ichiro was on the roster for opening day, i wasn't sure what to think: i thought i'd heard that he'd wanted to become a batting instructor and/or bench coach, and that he'd hung up the cleats, so was it just a stunt? They ran him out to right field for a couple games and he went hitless with a walk and a strikeout in 6 plate appearances, and now he's off the roster again. What was up with that, TBC...
HRD, I thought Ichiro had retired as well. He's got to be as old as you are, especially since you've had another birthday.

I'm hoping the Angels can stay within reach this season. I think they've made the playoffs once in the last 10 years. cry

My Dodgers have gotten off to an excellent start this season. Add that to Belinger leading MLB in HRs, could be an omen for good things. Man, I'd like for them to win another World Series before my time is up. scrd
He's actually a little older than me, Hodge!  Surprised Crazy, i know!

I hope the Angels stink out loud this year. Of course, i hope that every year. As a longtime Yankee fan, quite frankly i think of the Angels as the true nemeses of my beloved Bronx Baby Bombers. I've got no love in my heart for the Red Sox, but no hate either; i can't say the same of the Angels.  Mad

@TBC wrote:
Mariners had a season-opening series in the Tokyo Dome against the A's a few days before everybody else opened. That was Ichiro's curtain call, and yeah, it was pretty much a PR stunt. The first Japanese position player to come to the US ends his long career playing in Japan with the MLB team that signed him 18 years ago. And then for the third time he turned down an award given to Japanese civilians which has only twice previously been handed out to a baseball player, Saduharu Oh being one of them, saying through a third party that he would prefer that such an honor come later after he has completed more of his life's work. Somehow I don't think his plans from here on out involve blathering insipidly on NHK's "Ichiban Besebaru", starting a company farming Sea Bream in Truk Lagoon, or idly destroying his liver.  
Awww, those are the kind of PR stunts that i actually enjoy. Good for him, good for Japan, and good on the M's organization for a classy move, even if they probably only did it to sell stuff.

The potential future plans you dismiss seem unlikely to me as well. Any idea what he IS planning to do? I was a little skeptical of the batting coach idea, but only a little, as his whole plate approach is so different from pretty much anybody else, but then again that doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't teach the mechanics of approaches he didn't personally use.

ETA: Somehow i doubt that Daisuke Matzuzaka nor Hideki Irabu was the ballplayer other than Saduharu Oh to win that neglected (by Ichiro Suzuki) civilian honor. If it was any player who came over to MLB, which seems unlikely, my guess would be Godzilla - Hideki Matsui.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptySat Apr 13, 2019 12:42 am

Kazuhiro Sasaki was the all-time saves leader in Japan before joining the Mariners in 1998. He returned after the 2000 season because someone had passed him on that list and he wanted top spot again. He wouldn't be winning any good conduct awards though, not after the way he very poorly handled dumping his wife in favor of a 24 year old news reader. I know there is no way to handle that which would not somehow count as "poorly" when you are living in the public's eye, but moving into a love nest with her and getting her pregnant while you are still married to your wife is a bit much.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyMon Apr 29, 2019 3:36 pm

I know it's still early, but my Dodgers are still leading the NL-West. Plus, Cody Bellinger is tied for the lead in HRs, with 14, but his .427 batting average and 36RBIs, lead the Majors.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyMon Apr 29, 2019 8:29 pm

The Yankees have actually been doing amazingly well, all things considered.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyMon May 06, 2019 7:47 pm

The Florida Marlins are the only NL team with a winning percentage lower than .424 (14-19, Washington, divisional rival even - sorry Maturin, but this needs to be said), and the only team in the majors lower than .343 (Royals, 12-23).

The Marlins are 9-24, a .273 winning percentage. They could potentially be headed for historic levels of horrible. Imagine an exhibition of them playing a well-selected AAA all-star team. Now imagine if Vegas laid odds on the game.

I understand why Jeter was upset at being asked about tanking. I felt bad for him. But this is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyMon May 06, 2019 10:10 pm

The Nats are catastrophic. The only uninjured position players are the catchers. Not even exaggerating. I feel bad for the Marlins; they were my favorite non-Nats team in the NL East. They're not getting any crowds; a little worried about whether they'll survive as a Florida team.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyTue May 07, 2019 6:56 am

The only uninjured Yankee position player so far this year has been 35 year old Brett Gardner. 2 of the 3 best starters have been hurt, and two key relievers.

At one point a couple weeks ago, the Yankees were fielding a team whose combined annual salaries was less than the opposing pitcher's or one of the opposing outfielder's.

Yet they've managed to win somehow, so i'm not complaining.

Sanchez and Andujar are back, but just look at yesterday's box score: https://www.google.com/search?ei=h2LRXMCvOdDn5gLO-KjAAw&q=yankees+box+score&oq=yankees+bo&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l10.3487.3710..5038...0.0..0.121.212.1j1....3..0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i20i263j0i131.p2Ey9WdJYpg#sie=m;/g/11fh__ytnb;4;/m/09p14;tb2;fp;1;;... <- It's a who's not who of guys the Yankees expected to be playing.

Nevertheless i find it impossible not to feel for the Nats and their fans. They looked like they were going to be okay following Bryce's departure, not that they'd likely be in much better shape if he'd stayed, all things considered.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyWed May 08, 2019 3:51 pm

@Maturin wrote:
...I feel bad for the Marlins; they were my favorite non-Nats team in the NL East. They're not getting any crowds; a little worried about whether they'll survive as a Florida team.
Maturin, do you think there's a chance Jeter wants to move the team?
What would be his chances, realizing there's always been a problem filling the seats in Marlins Park?
Back to top Go down
Maturin

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyTue May 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Hodgepodge, was not ignoring your question -- was away visiting family.

Speaking as a basic, uninformed NL East mope, I don't see how Jeter or anyone could afford to keep the Marlins too much longer in Miami.

My hub and I go to spring training games in Florida. We've wondered about the Marlins and about why regular-season MLB isn't a bigger deal in Fla. Spring training seems like a real money-maker for everyone there now. The Nats/Marlins share a facility, and there's usually a good crowd.

But in regular season, the Marlins' park looks empty. My hub theorized this spring that the Marlins would move to Montreal, but we aren't used to thinking about Jeter in all this. Does he seem like a big Canada guy, or would he hold out for Vegas or elsewhere? MLB has cut weird deals in the past w/owners who want to move, so who knows.

The Rays are allegedly planning a new park in Tampa Bay, so maybe it's not Florida; it's just that too much bad/weird management ruined one franchise. But imo, Florida has everything to support two or more decent MLB teams/fanbases but just never has. It's not right.

Although, at the rate things are going, maybe Jeter's moving the Marlins to DC. Sad
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyWed May 15, 2019 1:18 am

How about Buffalo or New Orleans or Nashville? Or Charlotte? Right next to Atlanta!
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyWed May 15, 2019 2:50 pm

@Maturin wrote:
...My hub and I go to spring training games in Florida. We've wondered about the Marlins and about why regular-season MLB isn't a bigger deal in Fla. Spring training seems like a real money-maker for everyone there now. The Nats/Marlins share a facility, and there's usually a good crowd...
I've always been curious about this phenomenon.  dunno

How are there so many teams completing their spring training in Florida, but the Marlins have such a tough time putting butts in seats.

There was a time when no one thought an NFL team could survive in Los Angeles, because there are so many other things to do in the area. Although, it hasn't been proven yet, there are now two Teams vying for the affections of L.A.

@Maturin wrote:
...My hub theorized this spring that the Marlins would move to Montreal, but we aren't used to thinking about Jeter in all this. Does he seem like a big Canada guy, or would he hold out for Vegas or elsewhere? MLB has cut weird deals in the past w/owners who want to move, so who knows...

@davidalan wrote:
How about Buffalo or New Orleans or Nashville? Or Charlotte? Right next to Atlanta!
As you mention Maturin, it used to be extremely hard to move a franchise out of "its" home area, but its getting easier and easier.
Just show hardship for a number of years, and you're on your way.

Guys, I can't seen any franchise moving to a cold area. Doesn't that rule out Montreal and Buffalo? So, IMO, that leaves the other cities mentioned by Davidalan.
Lets not forget, with the rule change governing gambling, could they move to Las Vegas with the Raiders?
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyWed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm

They could move to Vegas but I hope they don't. It would mess up the geography of the divisions. I say Charlotte. It would match the NFL rivalry.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyWed May 15, 2019 8:34 pm

I myself would go to Vegas (or suck it up and commit to Miami). We discussed it while walking the dog -- my hub claims Montreal wants a team and he may have said it's on the list. Also a possibility, he says: Monterey, Mexico.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri May 17, 2019 3:49 pm

@davidalan wrote:
They could move to Vegas but I hope they don't. It would mess up the geography of the divisions. I say Charlotte. It would match the NFL rivalry.
I forgot about that, BA.
Charlotte would make a better move.

@Maturin wrote:
...We discussed it while walking the dog -- my hub claims Montreal wants a team and he may have said it's on the list. Also a possibility, he says: Monterey, Mexico.
Maturin, I know the Expos moved to Washington D.C. and became the Nationals, but what was the problem with the Montreal Expos?
Would the League give a City another chance at a franchise?
I can definitely see them moving the team to Mexico. MLB has a large fan presence in Mexico, just like the NFL has a following in England.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 5:47 pm

My Dodgers keep winning. Last nights win made it 6 in a row. They're also the first team to 40 wins this season.
We all know, there's no place to go but down. scrd
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 7:03 pm

Looks like the Yanks might land lefty Dallas Keuchel. That'd make a nice addition
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 pm

So that didn't happen. Anyway...

Hodge's Dodgers are enjoying a ten game lead in the their division and the best record in the senior circuit. In fact the only team in the big leagues with a better record is... The Twins? Who also have a ten game lead in their division.

The Yankees are holding down first place in the East, beating the Rays yesterday and hopefully again tonight, i have the game on now. The Yankee defense just pulled down a GREAT double play mostly thanks to Didi Gregorius.

The Yankees are starting to get healthy again. Before tonight, Stanton had 8 at-bats in 15 plate appearances. I can't ever think of a time in any sport when a team had so many serious injuries to so many critically important players and still managed to win so many games. It's been an incredible season so far for the Yankees. I hope the guys coming back are truly healthy and ready to return. Those rehab assignments are so valuable, i hope everybody is making the most of them.

Tough year so far for Maturin's Nationals, which is a shame. They have some truly great pitchers, it's difficult to see that franchise in sub .500 territory. Part of me wonders how much of their problems are psychological, i know it was hard to watch Harper walk away. If the season ended right now, the Phillies would host the NL Wild Card game. They're doing pretty good, Bryce isn't having a great year statistically. Hard to try to imagine where the Nats would be if he'd stayed, but it's enticing to wonder.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyThu Jun 20, 2019 5:53 pm

So that didn't happen. Anyway...

Hodge's Dodgers are enjoying a ten game lead in the their division and the best record in the senior circuit. In fact the only team in the big leagues with a better record is... The Twins? Who also have a ten game lead in their division...
HRD, you've known me long enough to know I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.  scrd

I think it was Ryu's last start when he got an early shower that I said, the sky's falling. But they continue to win and sweep a number of series to date.

...The Yankees are holding down first place in the East, beating the Rays yesterday and hopefully again tonight, i have the game on now. The Yankee defense just pulled down a GREAT double play mostly thanks to Didi Gregorius...
Explain to me how the Yankees continue to add "huge" bats to their lineups?
Did they find a loophole to add Edwin Encarnacion where it wouldn't hurt their luxury tax threshold?

...The Yankees are starting to get healthy again. Before tonight, Stanton had 8 at-bats in 15 plate appearances. I can't ever think of a time in any sport when a team had so many serious injuries to so many critically important players and still managed to win so many games...
I can't understand that either.

They loose both Stanton and Judge for an enormous amount of time but the remaining bats keep hitting.
How much credit are you giving the competition in the AL, that contributes to their place at the top?  pfft

...Tough year so far for Maturin's Nationals, which is a shame. They have some truly great pitchers, it's difficult to see that franchise in sub .500 territory. Part of me wonders how much of their problems are psychological, i know it was hard to watch Harper walk away. If the season ended right now, the Phillies would host the NL Wild Card game. They're doing pretty good, Bryce isn't having a great year statistically. Hard to try to imagine where the Nats would be if he'd stayed, but it's enticing to wonder.
He's doing awful! ?

As you mention, the Phillies would host a playoff series, but it wouldn't be because he's tearing up the league.
But you're right, great pitching in Washington. It's the only thing that's keeping them out of the NL East cellar. That, and the Mets and the Marlins are still in the division. facepalm

Maturin, what should they do to survive the season?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 am

The trade for Encarnacion was a player-for-player with cash considerations. Seattle got a nice pitching prospect in Juan Then, and agreed to split the remainder of Encarnacion's contract. With Tampa already on the hook for $5Million of that contract, it works out to around $7.5M each. Believe it or not, old friend, that still leaves the Yankees, of all franchises, more than $10M UNDER the luxury tax cap.

There are two big reasons for this. First, for the second season in contemporary memory, the Yankees aren't paying out 7-digit paydays to guys who are no longer playing, or even no longer playing well. The last bloated contract that expired late was CC Sabathia's, which ended before last season. The other thing is that a lot of the Yankees' impact players are very young guys who haven't gotten to the major paycheck part of their careers yet.

It wasn't just Stanton and Judge. At one time or another every single guy expected to start on opening day except the ancient Brett Gardner, as well as multiple starters including their two best, and multiple bullpen pitchers including several of their best, have all missed time already this year.

Definitely the Yankees got lucky that they played what should have been some of the easiest stretches of the season during that time period. Also i'd agree with what i think is the implication that the AL is more of a have/have-not league than the NL, though it's gotta piss off a Marlins fan or Diamondbacks fan somewhere to see a Yankees fan and Dodger fan agree on that. Or maybe a closeted Orioles fan. leg
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptySat Jun 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Since the Yankees swept the Tampa Rays about a week and a half ago, the Rays have slumped and the Yankees have stayed HOT, allowing NY to build a 7 game lead in the division and pass the cooling Astros for best record in the AL. In all the Majors, only Hodge's Dodgers have a better record.

Those Dodgers are one of only two teams in the entire NL to have a winning road record. By contrast, the AL East has three teams with winning road records, though two of them are within a half-game of .500 at home.

DJ LeMahieu and Gary Sanchez will be repping NYY as All-Star starters.

The Yankees have 10 men on injured reserve right now, but by comparison they're feeling healthier than they have most of this season. Giancarlo is hurt again, but the core of the team are all fit and playing well again, and now the reserves are a little more experienced and seasoned, and they all got a good taste of playing winning baseball on a winning club at the game's highest professional level. Aaron Boone and his staff all got time to evaluate strengths and weaknesses of all the reserves, and see them succeed while they were at it. I'm actually feeling kinda confident about the Yankees again.

scared
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Since the Yankees swept the Tampa Rays about a week and a half ago, the Rays have slumped and the Yankees have stayed HOT, allowing NY to build a 7 game lead in the division and pass the cooling Astros for best record in the AL. In all the Majors, only Hodge's Dodgers have a better record.

Those Dodgers are one of only two teams in the entire NL to have a winning road record. By contrast, the AL East has three teams with winning road records, though two of them are within a half-game of .500 at home...
What's happened to the Astros? They lost again last night. ?

Speaking of my Dodgers...Last night, they go into the bottom of the ninth, trailing the Diamondbacks, 4-3.
They scrap out a tie, then win the game when the opposing pitcher walks 5-batters in a row. You can't make this stuff up! 55
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 4:47 pm

My Dodgers complete this latest 14-game homestand with a record of 11-3.
So let it be written. So let it be done.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 pm

How about Maturin's Nationals, though? Suddenly they're a half-game ahead of those Harper-stealing Phillies, and if the season ended now they'd host Milawukee for the NL Wild Card game!

The Astros may have cooled off a little, but they still have a 7 1/2 game lead in the West, and i don't think Houston fans should start panicking just yet. Verlander is still as solid an ace as any franchise could ask for and will likely be contending for another Cy Young Award, they have solid 2/3/4 guys in Cole, Miley, and Peacock. They have a well-stocked bullpen, too, led by their closer Osuna, who's posting an ERA of 2.00 on the dot and a WHIP of 0.750. If there's any criticism to be leveled at their pitching staff, the only thing i can think of is that they have only three lefties in the 'pen, and two of them have been putting up some bad numbers. The staff as a whole is still second in the AL in ERA and strikeouts. They've given up a lot of home runs, but they also lead the AL fewest total hits allowed and are second in fewest walks and total strikeouts.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 5:19 pm

How about Maturin's Nationals, though? Suddenly they're a half-game ahead of those Harper-stealing Phillies, and if the season ended now they'd host Milawukee for the NL Wild Card game!
No one should want to play the Brewers.
Yelich is a real man. I saw him stand next to Texiera (spl) for an interview, and they're the same height. And, we know how big Tex is.

...The Astros may have cooled off a little, but they still have a 7 1/2 game lead in the West, and i don't think Houston fans should start panicking just yet. Verlander is still as solid an ace as any franchise could ask for and will likely be contending for another Cy Young Award, they have solid 2/3/4 guys in Cole, Miley, and Peacock. They have a well-stocked bullpen, too, led by their closer Osuna, who's posting an ERA of 2.00 on the dot and a WHIP of 0.750. If there's any criticism to be leveled at their pitching staff, the only thing i can think of is that they have only three lefties in the 'pen, and two of them have been putting up some bad numbers. The staff as a whole is still second in the AL in ERA and strikeouts. They've given up a lot of home runs, but they also lead the AL fewest total hits allowed and are second in fewest walks and total strikeouts.
They got biatch-slapped last night by the Rangers, 5-0. But I agree, they've got to many MVPs and such not to be there in the end.

What are we going to do with the Red Socks? ?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 am

*ahem*

At this moment the Yankees and Dodgers have the best records in baseball, with winning percentages of .653 and .646, respectively. (Last night the Yankees were at .649)

The Red Sox are 9 games ahead of .500, good for 7th best in the AL, 3rd in the division and 9.5 back from the Yankees, only 2.5 games back of both of the teams who'd play the Wild Card Game if the season ended here, so to speak. Those two teams are the Indians and Athletics, who have both been hot lately, not to say Boston's boys haven't been playing winning ball too.

The Nats have been doing well too, keeping pace (at worst) with other winning teams in the senior circuit recently. They're at .500 on the road, which no NL Central team is within a half-dozen games of boasting.

Hodge, Yelich IS a monster of a man, and the Brewers have some good pitching and play solid defense, too. In today's MLB, you gotta score runs to win games, but it's nice to know that the fundamentals still matter too, and the whole game hasn't devolved to strikeouts, walks, and long balls.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptySun Jul 21, 2019 5:45 pm

*ahem*

At this moment the Yankees and Dodgers have the best records in baseball, with winning percentages of .653 and .646, respectively. (Last night the Yankees were at .649)...
They just keep on winning! The "Pin-stripes" are 9-gms. up on Tampa, and 11-gms. up on the Sox.

My Dodgers are 15-gms. up on the Diamondbacks, with the best record in the Majors (66-35).

...The Nats have been doing well too, keeping pace (at worst) with other winning teams in the senior circuit recently. They're at .500 on the road, which no NL Central team is within a half-dozen games of boasting...
Maturin must be scared to post, we haven't heard from her in awhile. Her Nationals are only 5.5 games behind in the NL-East. I'm just like her too. If things are going well, I keep a low-profile.

...Hodge, Yelich IS a monster of a man, and the Brewers have some good pitching and play solid defense, too. In today's MLB, you gotta score runs to win games, but it's nice to know that the fundamentals still matter too, and the whole game hasn't devolved to strikeouts, walks, and long balls.
We love those stats, but you bring up a great point. Fundamentals are just as important.
Personally, I like the Brewers!
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptySat Aug 10, 2019 2:51 pm

It was an interesting trade deadline. A lot of folks seemed underwhelmed. Personally, i liked the fact that the Mets decided to be buyers instead of sellers.

IMO, Hodge's Dodgers improved their team the most, but Houston grabbing Greinke might turn out to the most significant individual player acquisition for this season. I'm not happy about the Yankees not moving on an available starter - idk what Houston gave Arizona for Greinke, but he has an expiring contract (https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/?s=greinke), so he'd have been a perfect addition for this Yankees team that really needs a short-term hired gun starter who can eat a lot of innings and post better than league average stats, with playoff experience and a SHITTON of veteran's wisdom that could be added to Sabathia's for a lot of young pitchers in the Yankee organization.

Boston made some apparently significant additions, but it seems like if they weren't the defending champs, they'd be facing the derision that the Mets have been getting. Right now, they're 15 games behind in the division (16 in the loss column), 9 games behind the Wild Card leader (10 in the loss column), and behind two other teams for the bottom playoff seed, by 5 games and 5 1/2 games (7 and 6 games in the loss columns). They're still in the mix, but they'll need to start improving their play and get some help from the rest of the league to go deep past September.

The Braves got better too, and i hear it said that an ATL/LA NLCS could be some Next Level Shit.

Maturin's Nationals are clinging on the top Wild Card spot in the NL, though 4 other teams are within 1 1/2 games and 7 total teams are within 5 1/2 games. There are really only a few NL teams with no shot at the wild card game.

Hodge that Brewers team is currently sitting on the bottom NL playoff seed right now, with a whole lot of teams not far behind them.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 6:33 am

We enter the back half of August, the "Dog Days" of legend and lore. The Yankees have the best record in MLB, something they've shared with the Dodgers so often that one might start to wonder if Dave Roberts and Aaron Boone were both top students in the same kindergarten classes together.

The Dodgers have locked up the West, but the NL Wild Card race promises to have some thrills; there are 9 teams who i'd say have credible claims to potentially play in the NL Wild Card game, though that includes non-Dodgers Division leaders, so 4 playoff slots are available for those 9 teams. The Nats have been hot and remain at the NL 4-seed, and they're also only ~ a handful of games behind Atlanta for the Eastern Division lead. The Phillies are in the thick of the NL Wild Card chase; could they end the Curse Of The Bryce this year?

The NL East has 4 teams over .500, but the Marlins aren't the worst team in MLB, nor even second worst. They've got over .050 win pct leads on both Baltimore and Detroit.

The Yankees and Astros have started to put some space between themselves and the rest of the their respective divisions. Likely the Twins and Indians will both play at least one postseason game, though there are enough teams in striking distance to change that: the Rays and A's are a half game apart for the road Wild Card spot right now, with Boston still theoretically in the chase.

Hodge, things aren't looking great for those Red Socks, the defending champs. Right now they're 6 1/2 games behind Tampa for the road Wild Card playoff slot, and the A's have a 5 game lead on Boston too. Certainly not insurmountable with ~ 6 weeks left, and they've been playing well, particularly on the road. If they can make the postseason, we know they have the potential to go all the way, but they'll need to catch some breaks as well as continuing to play well.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 2:37 pm

...The Dodgers have locked up the West, but the NL Wild Card race promises to have some thrills; there are 9 teams who i'd say have credible claims to potentially play in the NL Wild Card game, though that includes non-Dodgers Division leaders, so 4 playoff slots are available for those 9 teams. The Nats have been hot and remain at the NL 4-seed, and they're also only ~ a handful of games behind Atlanta for the Eastern Division lead. The Phillies are in the thick of the NL Wild Card chase; could they end the Curse Of The Bryce this year?
Lets not forget the Mets! They've been playing great ball since the All-Star break. Man, I'd like to see them make it.
As you mention, Maturin's Nats are holding their own against the remaining teams in the NL.
Always been a fan of Bryce, especially since he played for Dusty Baker. Do they have enough to make it to the playoffs?

...The NL East has 4 teams over .500, but the Marlins aren't the worst team in MLB, nor even second worst. They've got over .050 win pct leads on both Baltimore and Detroit...
Man are the Orioles a bad team or what.  facepalm

...The Yankees and Astros have started to put some space between themselves and the rest of the their respective divisions. Likely the Twins and Indians will both play at least one postseason game, though there are enough teams in striking distance to change that: the Rays and A's are a half game apart for the road Wild Card spot right now, with Boston still theoretically in the chase...
DA (BA) will be praying for the Indians.
But, the Yankees, and even moreso the Astros are the thoroughbreds of the AL.
Will the Yankees have enough bats (healthy) to contend with the Houston bats? How's that pitching going to compare?

...Hodge, things aren't looking great for those Red Socks, the defending champs. Right now they're 6 1/2 games behind Tampa for the road Wild Card playoff slot, and the A's have a 5 game lead on Boston too. Certainly not insurmountable with ~ 6 weeks left, and they've been playing well, particularly on the road. If they can make the postseason, we know they have the potential to go all the way, but they'll need to catch some breaks as well as continuing to play well.
Yeah HRD! If they can just make it to the big-dance we both know they can offer an upset.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyYesterday at 10:30 pm

The Yankees' playoff starting rotation, even if the best arms are all healthy, cannot compare with Houston's. IMO the Yankees' bullpen is a shade better, but i'd still say Houston has a clear overall advantage in pitching. Both teams play stellar defense. The Yankees have a significant offensive edge. It will be a very interesting ALCS if these teams meet up, especially if both are healthy and firing on all cylinders. Traditionally great pitching will beat great hitting 9 times out of 10 in a best-of-seven format, but the game's been changing, and i think the Yankees' offense is at the forefront of that change.

IF it comes down to those two teams, and IF Greinke wins a game, and IF the Astros win the LCS in 6 or more games, i pledge to personally vomit on a picture of Brian Cashman.

________

It IS awful nice to see that the Mets have been playing well. I seem to recall reading at least one opinion piece entitled, "The Mets are deluded, not contenders." Well.... pfft to that writer with a side of HA HA MOFO
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season EmptyToday at 1:40 pm

The Yankees' playoff starting rotation, even if the best arms are all healthy, cannot compare with Houston's. IMO the Yankees' bullpen is a shade better, but i'd still say Houston has a clear overall advantage in pitching. Both teams play stellar defense. The Yankees have a significant offensive edge. It will be a very interesting ALCS if these teams meet up, especially if both are healthy and firing on all cylinders. Traditionally great pitching will beat great hitting 9 times out of 10 in a best-of-seven format, but the game's been changing, and i think the Yankees' offense is at the forefront of that change...
Is Stanton back, or is he still on the IL?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2019 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019 Season   2019 Season Empty

Back to top Go down

2019 Season
Page 1 of 1