AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inSummer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season TVGuidebbtn

Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season

Go down 
AuthorMessage
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season Empty
PostSubject: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 9:27 pm

To kind of pick up from where i left off from the last thread (link: http://afterlost.forumotion.com/t5542p100-2018-19-nba-season#169233 )

I think the Lakers actually did pretty well for themselves out of this year's FA bargain bin. They spent some money on Danny Green, and i think that was a wise choice for a few reasons. Green brings championship experience from just this last Finals to a crew that has almost none except for LBJ. I've longed for LBJ to work the 1 for many years, most particularly after Kyrie left Cleveland for Boston. However, switching to that level of physical responsibility is going to NEED to mean fewer minutes, and number on the old depth chart at PG is our old buddy Rajon Rondo, who is still a pretty nice option for a bench point guard on offense, and still needs defensive backcourt help. Danny Green is MISTER defensive backcourt help, and second-string SG Kentavious can play some D too. Kentavious may not be much of a scoring threat for a shooting guard, but he'll generate some production offensively and doesn't need to be a big scoring threat for this team, plus LA got him CHEEP. LeBron and Dan Green will be the starting backcourt, with Kuzma, AD, and "Boogie" up front.

Avery Bradley showed he still had some life left in him after the Clips shipped him to Memphis late last season. Maybe he can do something for this frontcourt bench. If not, he didn't cost shit. JaVale McGee showed last year that he can still be a big defensive stopper in the low post, and can still score some, if only from inside the paint. I don't expect anything from Jared Dudley, but bargain hunting is bound to land some duds. Maybe the Lakers scouts see something there that i haven't.

Quinn Cook is the third string PG. He'll be gunning for Rondo's job, which might be what Rondo needs for a little motivation, and if that doesn't motivate Rondo, i think a motivated Quinn Cook could just be a better option.

We'll have to see how "Boogie"'s game recovers. We'll have to see how Kuzma handles the pressures that will be on him. A week ago, when the Lakers had three guys on their roster and were strung along by Kawhi, i thought they stood a good chance of missing the playoffs again. Now, i think they stand at least even odds of making the playoffs. There's no way they go deep as currently constructed, but i'm impressed by most of what they pulled out of this year's FA scrap heap, and i think they helped themselves a lot.

________

I'm eager to do my breakdowns on the new-look Clippers, but i'm not entirely sure they're done making moves yet. I fully expect that OKC and Houston will be making some moves.

Does anybody else have any thoughts to share on the craziest week of any pro sport's off-season? Is Hodge too busy jumping over the moon thanks to the Dodgers and Clippers?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:55 pm

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:
I'm eager to do my breakdowns on the new-look Clippers, but i'm not entirely sure they're done making moves yet. I fully expect that OKC and Houston will be making some moves.

CP3 and a bunch of picks for Russell Westbrook was NOT what i was expecting. In fact to be honest, i didn't necessarily that expect that Houston and OKC would be making any moves with each other whatsoever. I don't really understand exactly what the Houston front office was thinking. It kinda seems like trying to put Kobe and LeBron on the same team, expect with some added personal bad blood thrown in for the hell of it. Now more recent rumours are coming out of Houston that they plan to limit the number of minutes that both guys are on the court together, and that they think this move will help lure Tyson Chandler.

nts

There are only so many minutes in a game, and these are both guys who hate the pine. Also, last i checked Tyson Chandler might have mentioned enjoying a Tyler Perry Drama (soap opera) or two, but that doesn't mean he wants his professional life to mirror one. Nonetheless he's signed a one-year deal.

I expect that neither Houston nor OKC is done moving pieces around just yet.

Oh, and nobody's talking to Carmelo. Where's that tiny violin emoji when i need it. There are some other talented unsigned guys out there though.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 2:52 pm

I'm eager to do my breakdowns on the new-look Clippers, but i'm not entirely sure they're done making moves yet...
HRD, I'm not sure what this "full" team will look like either. To be continued!

...CP3 and a bunch of picks for Russell Westbrook was NOT what i was expecting. In fact to be honest, i didn't necessarily that expect that Houston and OKC would be making any moves with each other whatsoever. I don't really understand exactly what the Houston front office was thinking. It kinda seems like trying to put Kobe and LeBron on the same team, expect with some added personal bad blood thrown in for the hell of it. Now more recent rumours are coming out of Houston that they plan to limit the number of minutes that both guys are on the court together...
This is a totally ridiculous move. Doesn't make sense at all.

I've heard another rumor...OKC is already trying to move CP3s enormous contract. Miami is supposedly looking at a way to bring him onboard.
This would definitely make Jimmy Butler a happy man.

Here's a stat: Harden and Westbrook rank 1 & 2 in ball usage. Which means, they both want the ball in their hands when there's 10sec left in the shot-clock. If I understand the rules as they stand, they'll still only be one ball on the court at a time. This won't last. They'll be fighting for the ball before the season is half-way thru.

...Oh, and nobody's talking to Carmelo. Where's that tiny violin emoji when i need it. There are some other talented unsigned guys out there though.
Heard rumors they Carmelo and his gorgeous wife, La La, are splitting?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Can you imagine DWade taking league minimum to work limited minutes at home games and take some of the road trips with the team so he can share some veteran championship presence in general and also be at peak conditioning when he does take the floor, potentially with Jimmy Butler and Chris Paul? It'd be some fun moments, but honestly i don't think Wade will be back. He doesn't look like a Brett Favre to me. The Heat could be a good team this year. For that matter, a lot of teams in the East look like they could be good this year, and there's still value to be had in the Veteran Free Agency Bargain Bin, too. I totally agree that the Bucks are Thee team to beat in the East.

I think the Raptors will host a playoff series too. I know they lost their best player and a damn fine shooting guard, but they still have the core pieces and a slightly better bench than they had the few years previous to the championship, when they were in the top 3 in wins in the East for several years there. I know the Nets and 76ers are sexy picks to take high seeds in the East this year, and i can't dismiss either out of hand, they could both be very strong teams. I think Boston will surprise everybody who expects them to drop to the basement of the Conference standings. I think they might host a playoff series or at worst take the 5 or 6 seed.

We can already predict several East Conference teams won't make the postseason: Knicks, Cavs, Bulls, Hornets, & Wizards. That's a third of the conference and 5/7ths of that conference's teams that won't play more than 82 games.

Hawks, Heat, Magic, Pistons, and Pacers look like the middle third of the pack, none of whom will likely catch a whiff of the conference semis.

ETA: I forgot to consider that KD won't actually be squeaking his kicks on any Brooklyn hardwood next season. Could the Nets actually be worse than they were last year? Yes they could. I'm gonna blame that one on the late-morning drinking. [/edit

I really don't think Miami can find cap space for CP3. They entered free agency with the most guaranteed payroll for the upcoming season of all teams in the Association. If they do find a way, i feel like it probably costs them a significant portion of the remaining talent AND some picks, and this is a team that has already traded away 4 of their next 6 picks, including both 2021 picks. Personally i think they're a better team without him - i think the Butler trade was one of those rare trades that actually improves both teams.

Sounds like Carmelo is available in more than one market. I imagine that States-side at least, he's a much more desirable boyfriend/future ex-husband than he is desirable as a small forward or shooting guard in the NBA these days. I have very mixed emotions about 'Melo. There might be a better market for his basketball skills in other countries, and if he were to go overseas to try to redeem himself...

Last edited by His Royal Dorkness on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 pm

@Hodgepodge wrote:
Here's a stat: Harden and Westbrook rank 1 & 2 in ball usage. Which means, they both want the ball in their hands when there's 10sec left in the shot-clock. If I understand the rules as they stand, they'll still only be one ball on the court at a time. This won't last. They'll be fighting for the ball before the season is half-way thru.
Amen, Hodge, except i think they'll be at each other by season tip off. No basketball team wins when its members compete against each other.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Can you imagine DWade taking league minimum to work limited minutes at home games and take some of the road trips with the team so he can share some veteran championship presence in general and also be at peak conditioning when he does take the floor, potentially with Jimmy Butler and Chris Paul? It'd be some fun moments, but honestly i don't think Wade will be back. He doesn't look like a Brett Favre to me. The Heat could be a good team this year...
I can't imagine this scenario. Also, didn't DWade go thru his retirement party at the end of the season. Can't imagine he'd come back after going thru that.

They showed several of the jersey-swaps from those games, and every player he swapped jerseys is no longer with that particular team. Media pundits are saying Wade's a jinx.  55

...For that matter, a lot of teams in the East look like they could be good this year, and there's still value to be had in the Veteran Free Agency Bargain Bin, too. I totally agree that the Bucks are Thee team to beat in the East.

I think the Raptors will host a playoff series too. I know they lost their best player and a damn fine shooting guard, but they still have the core pieces and a slightly better bench than they had the few years previous to the championship, when they were in the top 3 in wins in the East for several years there. I know the Nets and 76ers are sexy picks to take high seeds in the East this year, and i can't dismiss either out of hand, they could both be very strong teams. I think Boston will surprise everybody who expects them to drop to the basement of the Conference standings. I think they might host a playoff series or at worst take the 5 or 6 seed....

...ETA: I forgot to consider that KD won't actually be squeaking his kicks on any Brooklyn hardwood next season. Could the Nets actually be worse than they were last year? Yes they could. I'm gonna blame that one on the late-morning drinking...
Speaking of the Raptors, that "one-player", is going to be missed.

Prior to Kawhi going to Toronto, what were their playoff status? How many times did they make the playoffs? Wasn't last season Lowry's second with the team?

The Nets lost Russell, but replaced him with Kyrie. They made the playoffs last season. Does the addition of Kyrie put them back in the playoffs?

...We can already predict several East Conference teams won't make the postseason: Knicks, Cavs, Bulls, Hornets, & Wizards. That's a third of the conference and 5/7ths of that conference's teams that won't play more than 82 games.

Hawks, Heat, Magic, Pistons, and Pacers look like the middle third of the pack, none of whom will likely catch a whiff of the conference semis...
I'm right there with you on these predictions.

...I really don't think Miami can find cap space for CP3. They entered free agency with the most guaranteed payroll for the upcoming season of all teams in the Association. If they do find a way, i feel like it probably costs them a significant portion of the remaining talent AND some picks, and this is a team that has already traded away 4 of their next 6 picks, including both 2021 picks. Personally i think they're a better team without him - i think the Butler trade was one of those rare trades that actually improves both teams...
According to media pundits, the deal sending Paul to Miami is hung up due to picks. And, as you so rightfully pointed out, the Heat has mortgaged their future some time ago.

Now I heard, there's a chance CP3 could end up with the Lakers. Yeah, he's getting up in age, but could they get this to workout?

@Hodgepodge wrote:
Amen, Hodge, except i think they'll be at each other by season tip off. No basketball team wins when its members compete against each other.
I'm not looking forward to seeing this, but I'm curious how D'Antoni is going to try.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptyWed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 am

@Hodgepodge wrote:
didn't DWade go thru his retirement party at the end of the season. Can't imagine he'd come back after going thru that.
The whole season was a farewell tour. I don't believe for a second that he'll actually play in the NBA again, i was just having some fun with the idea raised by that Twitter exchange about Pat Riley going to get Jimmy Butler.

@Hodgepodge wrote:
They showed several of the jersey-swaps from those games, and every player he swapped jerseys is no longer with that particular team. Media pundits are saying Wade's a jinx.  55
That is genuinely funny. It's not actually any one person's fault that the NBA has so much player movement every year. Dear gogs, can you imagine the free-for-all if we didn't have the rules that let a franchise offer a player more money to stay put than anybody else can offer him to move? And even with those rules, every year there are a number of notable sign-and-trade deals done as loopholes against protection.

I saw an article that listed the biggest loser in this year's NBA free agency market so far as "merchandise owners." I had to laugh at that.

@Hodgepodge wrote:
Prior to Kawhi going to Toronto, what were their playoff status? How many times did they make the playoffs? Wasn't last season Lowry's second with the team?

The Nets lost Russell, but replaced him with Kyrie. They made the playoffs last season. Does the addition of Kyrie put them back in the playoffs?
The Raptors had the #1 seed in the East the year before Kawhi got there. Yes, those guys needed a talented playoff veteran leader to show them what it takes. Don't forget that Danny Green is gone now too. Those are why it's sort of a bold prediction to say that Toronto will be in the top 4 in the East again without them. I think Siakam developed incredibly last year and is ready to step up next to Kyle Lowry in a big way, i think Marc Gasol has at least one more solid year in him, and the Raptors remain a deep team who will win some games with their bench too.

As for the Nets, i'm not confident that Kyrie without KD makes them any better than they were last year, which is still better than 2/3 of the Conference...

...We can already predict several East Conference teams won't make the postseason: Knicks, Cavs, Bulls, Hornets, & Wizards. That's a third of the conference and 5/7ths of that conference's teams that won't play more than 82 games.

Hawks, Heat, Magic, Pistons, and Pacers look like the middle third of the pack, none of whom will likely catch a whiff of the conference semis...

I mean, Kyrie went into a STACKED Celtics team as a supposedly can't miss upgrade over Thomas, and really he didn't make the Celtics any better at all. If anything, they played with less emotion, and ended up in the same place, out of the playoffs in the second round.

Now, assuming Durant comes back 100%, i think they'll synergize and energize each other. Assuming also that Kyrie's still healthy and that Brooklyn ownership doesn't get impatient (I think the second is a fair assumption, i think Brooklyn has good ownership)

@Hodgepodge wrote:
Now I heard, there's a chance CP3 could end up with the Lakers. Yeah, he's getting up in age, but could they get this to workout?
I really hope not. The only way i can see it happening is if somebody else wants to eat Paul's payday, and i don't see the Lakers giving up what few assets they've managed to cobble together to convince anybody to do that. I really really really want to watch LBJ play the point for this team. He's 10th on the all-time career assists and 4th in points, and PG will let him rack those two stats up more than anywhere else, plus i just think it'll be fun to watch the way he'll work over various defenses with the scoring options he'll have.

@Hodgepodge wrote:
I'm not looking forward to seeing this, but I'm curious how D'Antoni is going to try.
I love Mike D'Antoni. Loved his up-tempo Suns, wish he'd stayed on with the Knicks, have zero hard feelings towards him that he didn't, and i've even enjoyed seeing him turn James Harden from an All-Star calibre player into a perennial MVP candidate. But i don't think he stands a chance in this situation. I think you could create a brain trust of Pat Riley, Larry Brown, Pops, Phil Jackson, the Van Gundy brothers... shit, add in anybody you want. It's a no-win.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 10:16 pm

Kyle Korver signed a 1-yr with the Bucks for the veteran minimum. He's still healthy in spite of being 38, and his assassin skills from downtown were in top form last season. The Bucks really do need to improve their backcourt, particularly from outside the arc, and off the bench. Korver's not a long-term answer, but he could potentially be exactly what Milwaukee needs to win it all this year.

________

Vegas bookies are giving the Los Angeles Lakers a slight edge over the Clippers for winning the next Finals, with the Bucks only half a slight edge behind the Clippers.

I'm reading that the big reason for the Lakers recent jump in bookies' books is that the Lakers are proclaiming that LBJ will start at PG and Danny Green at SG. Let me be clear here: I LOVE the idea of those guys as the starting backcourt for this team, especially with Rajon Rondo as the probable second-string PG. What i don't like is using this smart concept as a precept for a misleading betting line.

I don't like the line. The Clippers and Bucks belong up there imo, but i think the Lakers are getting the short odds because lots of bettors are eager to bet on them and seeing short odds makes a significant percentage of those bettors think it just might be a smart bet. This kind of psychological manipulation is why the house never loses.

As much as the Lakers might not belong in the top 3, much less favored, there could be serious problems with the other two teams too. The Bucks' backcourt is questionable; though Korver should be able to give them some reliable help off the bench, his minutes will need to be limited.

The Clippers' starting Center, Zubac, is 0-4 career in 3-point shooting, the backup is a rookie. The starting PF (Millsap) is 5-32 career from behind the arc. JaMychal Green will be starting the season as the bench 4, and with 5 years in the Association he's the veteran of the group. Zubac is the only 7 footer in the group. The Clippers could have some frontcourt issues.

You know who was really good this past season, and is pretty much intact? Denver.
You know who was really good this past season, and definitely got better? Utah.

I didn't catch the line for either of them, but the Knicks are getting ridiculously short odds.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Kyle Korver signed a 1-yr with the Bucks for the veteran minimum. He's still healthy in spite of being 38, and his assassin skills from downtown were in top form last season. The Bucks really do need to improve their backcourt, particularly from outside the arc, and off the bench. Korver's not a long-term answer, but he could potentially be exactly what Milwaukee needs to win it all this year...
Yeah, this is a good pickup.

I remember his 3-point shooting from his time with Utah, but actually throughout his career.
And, because of his shooting quality, that will keep opponents from doubling and tripling Giannis.

...Vegas bookies are giving the Los Angeles Lakers a slight edge over the Clippers for winning the next Finals, with the Bucks only half a slight edge behind the Clippers.

I'm reading that the big reason for the Lakers recent jump in bookies' books is that the Lakers are proclaiming that LBJ will start at PG and Danny Green at SG. Let me be clear here: I LOVE the idea of those guys as the starting backcourt for this team, especially with Rajon Rondo as the probable second-string PG. What i don't like is using this smart concept as a precept for a misleading betting line.

I don't like the line. The Clippers and Bucks belong up there imo, but i think the Lakers are getting the short odds because lots of bettors are eager to bet on them and seeing short odds makes a significant percentage of those bettors think it just might be a smart bet. This kind of psychological manipulation is why the house never loses...
We've seen this over the last couple of seasons. They called him a Point-forward, this last season with the Lakers, but for lack of argument, lets call him a Point-guard.

What gets me HRD, is the Vegas book trying to con us into thinking this is going to be something new and improved. I hope the "line" remains soft when it comes to the Lakers. Kind of doubt it though, everyone loves "King" James.

...The Clippers' starting Center, Zubac, is 0-4 career in 3-point shooting, the backup is a rookie. The starting PF (Millsap) is 5-32 career from behind the arc. JaMychal Green will be starting the season as the bench 4, and with 5 years in the Association he's the veteran of the group. Zubac is the only 7 footer in the group. The Clippers could have some frontcourt issues...
I know exactly what you're talking about.
I'm hoping they'll experiment with Montrezl Harrell, at the 5. He's not a big "3-point" guy either, but with him on the floor, they'll be able to switch everything and play better "D". I hope!

...You know who was really good this past season, and is pretty much intact? Denver.
You know who was really good this past season, and definitely got better? Utah...
We know the Warriors went down to the wire trying to wrestle the #1-seed away from Denver. Donovan Mitchell is a "superstar" for years to come.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season   Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season Empty

Back to top Go down

Summer of '19 and 2019-2020 Season
Page 1 of 1