AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inGreg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyGreg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyGreg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME Empty 
gin (20877)
Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyGreg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyGreg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek

Derek

Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME Empty
PostSubject: Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME   Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 am

Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME Greg-maddux-cap-ap2

On Thursday, the Hall of Fame announced which caps would adorn the bronze plaques of the six Class of 2014 honorees. For four of them, the choice of teams was quite obvious, but the decision for Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa to have blank caps came as a surprise.

The choices for the caps of managers Bobby Cox (Braves) and Joe Torre (Yankees) and players Tom Glavine (Braves) and Frank Thomas (White Sox) were no-brainers, relatively speaking. All four spent time with other teams, but their success — which for Torre was focused on his time as a manager, not a player — was most concentrated with the aforementioned teams.

The decision to use a blank cap for Maddux rates as the more puzzling choice of the other two. While he was drafted and developed by the Cubs and then returned to Chicago for a 2 1/2 season run late in his career, three of his four Cy Young awards and all three of his trips to the World Series came with Atlanta. He ultimately spent more seasons with the Braves (11) than the Cubs (10) and threw about 500 more innings for the former with an ERA nearly one run lower (2.63 to 3.61). Six of his eight All-Star appearances came as a Brave, as did eight of his 11 trips to the postseason; of the other three, two came with the Dodgers and just one with the Cubs.

In Maddux’s view, by not choosing sides, he’s paying tribute to fans of both teams. From his statement in conjunction with the announcement:

“It’s impossible for me to choose one of those teams for my Hall of Fame plaque, as the fans of both clubs in each of those cities were so wonderful. I can’t think of having my Hall of Fame induction without support of both of those fan bases, so, for that reason, the cap on my Hall of Fame plaque will not feature a logo.”
The blank for La Russa makes more sense. He won three pennants and one World Series in 10 seasons as the manager of the A’s, who put up a .542 winning percentage on his watch. He won three pennants and two World Series in his 16 seasons with the Cardinals, whom he managed to a .544 winning percentage. He had a total of four postseason appearances in Oakland and nine in St. Louis, but the latter total was aided by the expanded playoff format. He also took the White Sox to the postseason once in his nine seasons on the South Side.

Like Maddux, La Russa viewed the blank cap as a means of not slighting any of the teams he piloted:

“It’s the totality of the success of each of those three teams that led me to Cooperstown, so I am choosing to not feature a logo so that fans of all clubs can celebrate this honor with me.”
Maddux and La Russa won’t be alone among Hall of Famers when it comes to blank caps, though of the seven of the eight such honorees — Andy Cooper, Frank Grant, Pete Hill, Biz Mackey, Luis Santop, Ben Taylor and Cristobal Torriente — were Negro League players. Catfish Hunter, who won World Series with the A’s and the Yankees, is the only major leaguer in the Hall with a blank.

The Hall solicited input from each honoree as to the cap choice. “The Museum staff works with each inductee by suggesting an appropriate logo option, or no logo at all,” said Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson. “For those whose careers were built significantly among multiple teams, not having a team logo is equally acceptable.”

Past cap decisions, such as those for Gary Carter (who went in as an Expo, though he would have preferred the Mets) and Wade Boggs (who went in with a Boston hat but had to deny rumors that he had agreed to wear the cap of the Devil Rays, for whom he played the last two seasons of his career) created controversy. After the Boggs episode, the Hall re-asserted that it had final say. In the end, though, what matters is the player on the pla
Back to top Go down
https://afterlost.forumotion.com
blondie

blondie

Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME   Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:06 am

weird, I only think of Maddox as a Brave.
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME   Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 am

blondie wrote:
weird, I only think of Maddox as a Brave.  
yeah me too, I kinda forgot he played for the Cubs, but then again it is the black hole of baseball  tongue 
Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME   Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:11 am

I remember being really surprised to see him as a relief pitcher and I know he was on the Cubs at the time but still. He dominated as part of the Braves. The entire team dominated the '90's.
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME   Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 am

he was an original cub..and then left and did his thing with the braves..and then after his prime we decided to sign him again...

i love him...the maddux family were from vegas and played in area highschools while i was a kid...

Back to top Go down
https://afterlost.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME   Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME Empty

Back to top Go down

Greg Maddux and Tony La Russa will have blank caps for Hall of Fame plaques HALL OF FAME
Page 1 of 1