AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 Empty2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 Empty2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 Empty 
gin (20877)
2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 Empty2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 Empty2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

2018-19 NBA Season

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Hodgepodge

2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 4:40 pm

His Royal Dorkness wrote:
To address your first point, i think it could be misdirection. While Kawhi sits back and strings the Lakers along, all the other potential max deal players are getting snapped up other franchises. Then when he signs across town (or back in Toronto, remember he still has a one-year player option), it's too late for the Lakers to put together a "Big 3." At first, Kawhi would only meet with owner Jeanne Buss, then he says it's okay for the GM to be there, he's chatting with "Magic" who legally barred from repping the Lakers in a legal sense but is fully entitled to share his opinions with Leonard...
Okay, I said I wasn't going to cry!  cry

Kawhi Leonard signs a 4yr/$141Mil. contract with the Los Angeles Clippers. This is great news, but it gets better.
The Clippers trade for Paul George from OKC, to complete the transaction.

Rumor had Kawhi wanting to play for the Clippers, but wanted help doing so. He met with George in L.A., and asked him to come join him. He said he would, and immediately asked OKC for a trade.

Now, what I heard, Kawhi was going back to Toronto if the Clippers couldn't make a deal for PG13. Jerry West and Bullmer rolled up their sleeves and went to work. I won't go into details about what OKC gets, just let me say, they gave away the farm. But, they got their man.

...Now, you brought up a valid weak point in Horford's game, and you have a very strong point that he and Joel Embiid have weaknesses that may exacerbate each other. I have a pretty negative impression of Embiid as a basketball player in spite of my respect for his skills and athleticism. So if Horford can make some adjustments to let Joel own the low post (and not do all that great a job at it), Philly can be very dangerous. The 76ers might not be done making deals yet, only time will tell for sure...
Man, we share the same notion about Embid. Plus, the guy can't stay on the court. He's to sickly for my taste.

The 76ers weren't finished. They sign Tobias Harris to a max contract of, 5yrs/$180Mil.

...Which brings me to another good question you raised: what does Butler see in Miami? The other day, on Twitter, fans were bugging DWade to come back, play limited minutes off the bench for the league minimum, and help out as Miami transitions. He wasn't entirely resistant to the idea at first, but his resolve seemed to harden a bit as the session went on. But then, he seemed to imply that if Jimmy Butler came to South Beach, he might just feel obligated to do it, because he loves Butler and has always wanted to play with him and/or mentor him a bit. Then suddenly it happened. Now, Dwayne is in no legal sense obligated to do anything, but i wouldn't be even slightly surprised if that had something to do with it...
Well, under that scenario, and because they're both SGs, Wade could give Harris a respite during a game.

...Russell got 4 years and $117M. I'm not sure what Golden State's exact plans are, but i think Curry would stay on the 1, which would put Russell on the 2 at least until Klay returns, which won't be for a full season. There is some speculation that they might be looking to trade Russell before, during, or after the coming season. It's going to be a little difficult to predict what the Dubs are going to look like next year with KD, AI, and "Boogie" gone and Thompson on IR the whole year...
I see this the same way.
They're going to need a replacement for Klay until his knee heals. But, I don't think it'll be hard to get him traded when the time comes. This guy was a all-star last season.

There's a media analyst who predicts the Warriors won't make the playoffs next season. As long a Curry is still on the team, I got'a feel they'll be there in the end.

...You're right that i have a good opinion on Ben Simmons. Yeah, he needs to develop an outside shot, but he's got all the other tools needed to become a perennial All-Star Point Guard, including solid defense. I think his mid-range jumper could use some work but isn't terrible, but i have to agree with you that a max deal seems premature. He's 22 and has two seasons under his belt. They've both been outstanding seasons, but he didn't make the All-NBA Team (yet, i guess), and while i think he was definitely worth more than the mid-level exception, i think jumping straight to a max contract probably overvalues him. He definitely could prove us wrong on that, but really only if he develops his perimeter game without getting rust on any of his other skills.
I just got back from the barbers, and he's got the same opinion as you.

His point..."A guy that big, that can handle the ball the way he does and is able to facilitate that ball the way he does, deserves a great contract." He did mention one drawback. He's dating a Kardashian/Jenner. 55
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Re: 76ers:

Tobias Harris has bounced around a lot - 5 teams in 7 years; most recently he was with YOUR Los Angeles Clippers. He's been starting games for most of his career, and he's put up good numbers consistently everywhere over at least the last four or five years. He's been playing some decent defense, too. Horford is projected to start at the 4. Obviously Embiid isn't going to give up the 5, and he doesn't have a skill set to play anywhere else anyway, not in today's NBA. So on paper at least, the 76ers have a phenomenal starting 5 with Simmons and Richardson in the backcourt and Harris, Horford, and Embiid up front. Horford is going to have to continue to improve his outside shot; it's something he was working hard at for several years, with steady improvement other than a little back-slide last year.

There are potential problems there though, and IMO Embiid is the most obvious one. Simmons likes to take a decent number of shots, and when he's not shooting, he's very effective at finding the best scoring option. Last year that mostly meant Butler or Embiid. This coming year, Embiid is likely to be getting the ball a lot less often. With Philly not having a wide variety of starting deep threats, the lanes will be heavily populated. I don't see Embiid being happy with fewer touches, playing tenacious D and owning the low post for offensive rebounds. If he can prove me wrong, and be more of a "role player," then this team could contend for a high seed in the East.

But i don't see a ton of depth. Mike Scott is a nice deep threat off the bench, and they have a couple young guys who've shown some potential, too. Overall though i don't think they'll get good production from their bench, and every one of their starters is going to need rest.

________

Re: LAC:

Like any true Knicks fans, i hate the Pacers with the heat of a thousand suns. Paul George managed to leave that franchise without having any of my personal animosity attached to him long-term. I will wish the best for your Clippers this coming year. The Clips traded away all their picks for the next several years, and are taking on George's contract, but they had the cap space and didn't lose any talent that they couldn't afford to lose. But make no mistake, your boys have mortgaged away their longer-term future to try to bring home the hardware in one or both of these next two seasons.

Leonard, George, and Gallinari are all career small forwards (and likely all All-Stars too) though they also all have skill sets that could let them play anywhere except the 1 and the 5. Gallinari's the biggest, Leonard's the best shot, George is the best defender. I don't want to try to predict how Doc Rivers will utilize these skill sets, nor who i expect to be working the point at season tip-off - i imagine Lou Williams will most likely still be the bench point guard and most likely still log the most minutes at the point again. I think Rivers will figure out a way to have a second squad that can outperform other franchises' starters. Right now i think the Clippers have to be favorites to win the West.

Re: GSW:

No way they miss the playoffs. I know they lost some important pieces in KD and AI, and true core member Klay Thompson won't play this coming season, but when you have Steph Curry at the point, decent scoring options, a couple decent big men, and Steve Kerr designing plays, you have a playoff team. I'm not sure exactly who will be starting nor who will be starting at what spots, but the Warriors are still a team with great depth. and Kerr's had great success eschewing the traditional defensive zone responsibilities in favor of their "switch-switch-switch-and then switch again" type defense. I don't see them as a serious title contender with the talent they currently have, but only a few things would need to shift a little for that to change. Even with no significant changes, i wouldn't be surprised if they host a first-round series.

I LOL'd about Simmons dating a Kardashian/Jenner, and i also wasn't aware of that. I'm not entirely convinced that there even is a real curse there. After a little research just now, i'd say that it hasn't hurt James Harden, Blake Griffin, or Chandler Parsons, and a few of the guys who supposedly fell victim to the curse, i'm not sure that their dating life had anything to do with their fall from NBA grace.

So i'm still strong on Simmons as starting PG for what should be one of the very best teams in the Association, who will be genuine championship contenders if they can get personality issues settled.

One other thing. I haven't heard too many people talking much about Boston. I'm not convinced that Walker will not prove to be an upgrade on Kyrie for this Celtics team.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Re: 76ers:

Tobias Harris has bounced around a lot - 5 teams in 7 years; most recently he was with YOUR Los Angeles Clippers. He's been starting games for most of his career, and he's put up good numbers consistently everywhere over at least the last four or five years. He's been playing some decent defense, too. Horford is projected to start at the 4. Obviously Embiid isn't going to give up the 5, and he doesn't have a skill set to play anywhere else anyway, not in today's NBA. So on paper at least, the 76ers have a phenomenal starting 5 with Simmons and Richardson in the backcourt and Harris, Horford, and Embiid up front. Horford is going to have to continue to improve his outside shot; it's something he was working hard at for several years, with steady improvement other than a little back-slide last year...
Yeah, I was sorry to loose Harris from the Clippers.
Without having to share time with everyone else on the roster from 2019, he should be able to contribute a lot more next season.
Horford will definitely have to improve his mid-range jumper if he's going to play the "4". But, he's improved his 3-point shot to a degree that he'll have to be guarded at the line.
The starting-five you mentioned, could be something to watch next season. That is, if Simmons finds a jump-shot!  :goof:

I'm sure you're aware, many sport pundits have picked the 76ers to come out of the East. I think, with a year under their belts, the Bucks are the team to beat.

...Re: LAC:

Like any true Knicks fans, i hate the Pacers with the heat of a thousand suns. Paul George managed to leave that franchise without having any of my personal animosity attached to him long-term. I will wish the best for your Clippers this coming year. The Clips traded away all their picks for the next several years, and are taking on George's contract, but they had the cap space and didn't lose any talent that they couldn't afford to lose. But make no mistake, your boys have mortgaged away their longer-term future to try to bring home the hardware in one or both of these next two seasons...
Without player-minimums and such, I don't know how we're going to stock the bench. This better work!  scrd

...Leonard, George, and Gallinari are all career small forwards (and likely all All-Stars too) though they also all have skill sets that could let them play anywhere except the 1 and the 5. Gallinari's the biggest, Leonard's the best shot, George is the best defender. I don't want to try to predict how Doc Rivers will utilize these skill sets, nor who i expect to be working the point at season tip-off - i imagine Lou Williams will most likely still be the bench point guard and most likely still log the most minutes at the point again. I think Rivers will figure out a way to have a second squad that can outperform other franchises' starters. Right now i think the Clippers have to be favorites to win the West...
I'm hoping Gallinari can stay on the court long enough to make an impact.
I've got'a believe out starting five will be:

PG - Beverly
SG - Shamet
SF - Leonard
PF - George
C- -Zubac

I too think Lou Williams will captain the 2nd-unit off the bench.
I also think, with Harrell playing the 5, and with how the game is being played, they could switch everything on the floor.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2018-19 NBA Season   2018-19 NBA Season - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

2018-19 NBA Season
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3