Keith (5172)
MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyMLB Hall of Fame! EmptyMLB Hall of Fame! Empty 

MLB Hall of Fame!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Glad to see Mo getting inducted, it's a bit much that he's the first unanimous selection.

Glad to see Moose and Halladay getting in, but without Clemens already there, it seems a bit off. I'm sure lots of folks are steamed about Schilling getting stiffed again too, and while i'm not a fan (to be fair, not a fan of Clemens either), there's a good argument there, maybe more about Halladay than about Mussina.

It's fine to see Edgar Martinez getting in too, but there are a handful of better hitters who also played defense who are still on the outside looking in, and while i might personally like Martinez more than any of them, it's still pretty glaring.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 am

I had not seen the video of Jeter and Pettitte walking out to the mound in Rivera's last game until this week. Very touching.

Glad for Mike Mussina. We saw him pitch for the O's before they succumbed to the Dark Side. He's apparently in no hurry on whether he'll go in as an O or a Yankee or neither (which I didn't know was an option).
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 am

I think Mussina should go in as an Oriole. He had his best years as an Oriole, and played for them longer. 10 years in Baltimore, 8 in New York. All 5 All-Star appearances came as an Oriole. 8 times he received Cy Young votes in Baltimore; that happened in New York only in his first and last years there.

The stats that best make the case for Mussina's induction are his win total, winning percentage, and over 2800 strikeouts. 147 - 81 as an Oriole, win pct .644; 123 - 72 as a Yankee, win pct .630. Strikeouts as an Oriole: 1535; as a Yankee: 1278 - very slight (2%) Yankee edge in K/yr (153.5; 159.5).

He never did win a World Series, either, though he certainly did a lot more playoff work with the Yankees.

If he feels he'd rather wear a Yankees cap, i'm fine with that. He was a great player for the Yankees for a long time. I'm glad it's up to him to decide. I never knew neither was an option either; is that new?
Back to top Go down
Maturin

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 9:00 pm

This is based on me reading a few stories about Mussina, but my sense is that the player gets to weigh in -- and I fussed w/that sentence in my first post specifically to avoid the word "decide." tongue

But agree with your logic on which hat should represent him.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 9:15 pm

My impression has been that the player gets to decide which hat to wear. I remember a LOT of fuss and indignation in NY about Gary Carter choosing the Expos cap. He only started and ended his career in Montreal, as well as playing more than half of career there; doesn't he realize how important '86 was for NYC?!?

At that time (2003), the Expos no longer existed, and Carter was the first player elected to the Hall to wear their cap; there was speculation that he might be the only one. He has since been joined by Andre Dawson (2010) and Tim Raines (2017).
Back to top Go down
Maturin

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 9:29 pm

My second post possibly makes no sense because I misread what you were asking about (tho I did get the impression that it's not entirely up to the player but maybe that was the sangria). I don't know about the neither option. Pitchers and catchers report pretty soon, woot. That I do know.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 10:01 pm

I'm certainly no expert on the Hall of Fame myself, and i also tend to post while drinking.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 7:38 am

Mussina decided he wanted to wear a Yankees cap for enshrinement, and the Hall signed off on it.

I found this piece from the Baltimore Sun, which answers some of our questions from upthread: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-mussina-hall-of-fame-hats-20190123-story.html
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 2:40 pm

I liked the Commish reading Rivera's HoF plaque. cry
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 6:49 am

That part was pretty cool. I liked seeing Rivera's crowd, lots of familiar faces.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2019 10:30 pm

Sox bounced back this past weekend. They won 3-4 from the Yankees. woooo
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptySat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 pm

As of right now, the Yankees have won 9 of their last 10, Boston 3 of their last 10. The Yankees are 15 games ahead of Boston, though it's only 14 in the loss column.

I'll take the rest of this to the main thread.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Larry Walker finally in his 10th and final year of admissibility

and kuddos to his sponge bob shirt

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 8:31 am

This year has only two inductees and they're a first-balloteer and a last-balloteer? Derek Jeter and Larry Walker are both highly worthy Hall of Famers IMHO.

So many of the best players of a generation aren't included because of a rule that wasn't enforced for most of their careers. No Sosa, no McGwire, probably soon Bonds and Clemens will lose eligibility, still no Pete Rose, probably A-Rod will have a tough time, and for ALL that the MLB Gogs's hold holy, still no Shoeless Joe, DECADES after his FULL exoneration... the Hall in Cooperstown may still be worth discussion, but i fear i'll never be taking the short drive to put any of my hard-earned coin in their till.
Back to top Go down
ExpletiveDeleted

ExpletiveDeleted

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Hall Of Fames are generally BS anyway

FCOL Whitney Houston is in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 5:00 pm

Mooooooookie!

My Dodgers picked one of the top 5 players in the League. And, I heard there's enough $ to offer him a massive contract next season.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 5:25 pm

Man, I listen to the Astros commentary on their cheating scandal and found it lacking sincerity. Especially the owner saying the scandal had no bearing on their World Series win.

Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 11:46 pm

@ExpletiveDeleted wrote:
Hall Of Fames  are generally BS anyway

FCOL Whitney Houston is in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Yeah, and Slayer isn't. One thing i think you can't say about the Hall in Cooperstown is that it features athletes who were more famous for other sports other than they were for baseball.

________

Hodge old buddy, i hate to break it to you, but if the Astros hadn't cheated your boys out of a Commissioner's Trophy, the Yankees definitely would have. tongue
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptySun Feb 16, 2020 5:42 am

@His Royal Dorkness wrote:

________

Hodge old buddy, i hate to break it to you, but if the Astros hadn't cheated your boys out of a Commissioner's Trophy, the Yankees definitely would have. tongue

I still feel like 2001 was a hose job. Look...Pat Gillick took over as GM of a team on the way up and made it great. He had already taken the Blue Jays to the World Series back-to-back, so I think he was qualified. The Mariners in the late 1990s seemed to be built around Ken Griffey, Jr., Randy Johnson, Edgar Martinez, and Alex Rodriguez. What Gillick did was let three of those pieces go, one by trade and two to free agency, and use the money to bring in players who were not maybe as great but were still good to full more places in the line-up at the same price. Carlos Guillen, a solid defensive shortstop with a .300 bat was A-Rod's replacement, but the fans never accepted him because he wasn't A-Rod. Mike Cameron was the new man in middle pasture, somehow he actually became well liked. Maybe it was because of the time he hit four HRs in a game, two in one inning, going back-to-back with Brett Boone for both of them, the only time in ML history that teammates have ever accomplished that feat. (In fact, it's the only time in ML history that two player on they same team have ever hit two HRs each in the same inning, never mind consecutively)

In 2001 with the arrival of Ichiro everything fell into place. It was a mutant season. Every starting pitcher, including John Halama (who???) won at least 15 games, as did middle reliever Arthur Rhodes. All of the regular starting position players had career years, or close to it. The team started hot and stayed hot. Unlike previous years under Piniella they never had a major let-down. They won 116 games, tying the 1906 Cubs for most wins in a season, but not the best winning percentage because those Cubbies did it in fewer games. Then they hit the ALCS and suddenly the whole team stopped hitting at the same time.

When you watch enough baseball on TV you can tell what the ump is going to call before he does it. You can tell when he's being generous with the outside corner, when he's playing the "favor the superstar pitcher" game. What I saw in the 2001 ALCS was the home plate umpires giving the Yankee pitchers a distinctly wider strike zone than they were giving the Mariner pitchers. Not sure what the immediate after-effects of 9/11 had on this, that On High determined New York absolutely must have a World Series to boost it's morale or what, but I didn't like my team being the patsy for it.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptySun Feb 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Did you feel better when your former boy Randy "Big Unit" Johnson and future Red 'Bloody' Sox Pitcher Curt "Bloody Sock" Schilling led the Arizona Diamondbacks to victory in that year's World Series over the Yankees?

The 2001 Mariners were something special, and no doubt about it. But i have a hard time seeing their playoff loss to the Yanks as a 911 nod when the series is taken in a context that includes that year's World Series.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyTue Feb 18, 2020 2:52 am

Did you feel better when your former boy Randy "Big Unit" Johnson and future Red 'Bloody' Sox Pitcher Curt "Bloody Sock" Schilling led the Arizona Diamondbacks to victory in that year's World Series over the Yankees?

The 2001 Mariners were something special, and no doubt about it. But i have a hard time seeing their playoff loss to the Yanks as a 911 nod when the series is taken in a context that includes that year's World Series.

Matter of fact, yes I did.

And if you are having trouble seeing it that way I will add more ammo.

The Mariners and Athletics started out going in opposite directions. April was mostly divisional play month and by May 1st the A's were dead last in the Bigs, 19 games behind the M's. They finished the season 98-64, 18 games out of first place, so from that point they actually played one game better than the Mariners. It can be argued that they were just as good of a team. Also, the M's and A's played the same schedule that year, swapping destinations on road trips and visitors on home stands, by July they had become the one-two punch that every team in the league was glad to be done with. I didn't watch the ALDS, but Oakland bats vanished just as mysteriously vs Yankee pitching in that series as Mariner bats did in the ALCS.

Remember the Giants - Angels World Series? Pretty exciting stuff, but nobody saw it except for folks on the West Coast. A Seattle-Oakland ALCS would have been horrible for the league. A Seattle-Arizona or Oakland-Arizona World Series would have been a disaster. The object wasn't to let the Yanks win the Series. It was to get them in it. That fix combined with the Nats last October means that the Mariners are now the only extant franchise in MLB to never have played in the World Series.

To which I must add...Gotta love the Nats' fans: "We traded away our best player! Whatever shall we do?" I dunno...mebbe win the World Series.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyTue Feb 18, 2020 2:06 pm

...Hodge old buddy, i hate to break it to you, but if the Astros hadn't cheated your boys out of a Commissioner's Trophy, the Yankees definitely would have. tongue
Our pitching would've done you guys in. Especially since you guys wouldn't have been able to steal signs. pfft

When I posted our acquisition of Mookie Betts, I forgot to mention we also picked up Cy Young winning pitcher, David Price.
Man, our starting pitching should be envied throughout the League.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyTue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 pm

TBC,

I have a much easier time believing the fix was in for the Yanks in '01 over TV ratings than over 9/11.

I actually do remember the Giants and Angels WS, not that i watched the whole thing. It was the very next year, '02, and Anaheim won game 7. Iirc there were a few pretty high scoring games and a couple lower scoring games. I think John Lackey won game 7. I was rooting for SF, if you can believe that.

I hate the Angels, btw. In 1998, the Yankees set an AL record with a 114-48 record. Yeah, Seattle broke it a few years later. The reason i mention it is that in 1998, only one team won their season series with the Yankees: that's right, the Angels. Until 2009, the Yankees had never won a postseason series against that franchise.

Hodge, Betts is a great acquisition no doubt. I hope he stays healthy and productive for your boys. Changing Leagues might be a good thing for Price as he approaches the autumn of his career. He'll have a whole season mostly seeing bats who aren't so familiar with him.

And i'm sorry to say it, but Darvish was tipping his pitches. The Yankees don't do dirty shit like Houston was doing, but i'm confident that those Yankees matched up damned well against those Dodgers.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 4:48 am

In 2001 we were suffering from overexposure up here, largely thanks to David Lynch, Cameron Crowe, every god damned Grunge band, Tom and Meg. The Mariners just happened to be playing some pretty good baseball starting in the 1995 season with the "Refuse to Lose" team making it all the way to the ALCS after knocking off the Yanks in five in the ALDS on Gar's walk-off two out double scoring Junior from first...still one of the greatest moments in Seattle sports history, up there with "The Tip".

Side note, the game prior the M's had won on a walk-off HR by Buhner off John Wetteland. That series was his final MLB appearance, he was replaced my Mariano Rivera as the closer, he became a coach and was the Mariners' pitching coach a few seasons ago. He had the opportunity to share his experience of that evening with one of the reporters for The Seattle Times. It seems that after the game he went to a nice lounge to try to forget the game, a waitress bringing him another whiskey remarked "That was some game tonight. Did you see Jay's home run?". He replied "Yeah. I'm the guy who threw the pitch." She just walked away quietly...

Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 2:02 pm

...I hate the Angels, btw. In 1998, the Yankees set an AL record with a 114-48 record. Yeah, Seattle broke it a few years later. The reason i mention it is that in 1998, only one team won their season series with the Yankees: that's right, the Angels. Until 2009, the Yankees had never won a postseason series against that franchise...
Not sure you guys know, but I've lived my whole life in SoCal. And yeah, I hate the Angels as well. Which doesn't make a lot of sense. I love Gene Autry (former Angels owner). He's my 2nd-favorite TV cowboy after Roy Rogers.

...Hodge, Betts is a great acquisition no doubt. I hope he stays healthy and productive for your boys. Changing Leagues might be a good thing for Price as he approaches the autumn of his career. He'll have a whole season mostly seeing bats who aren't so familiar with him.

And i'm sorry to say it, but Darvish was tipping his pitches. The Yankees don't do dirty shit like Houston was doing, but i'm confident that those Yankees matched up damned well against those Dodgers.
Staying healthy is always something to pray for when you make an acquisition like this.
I'm really hoping Price has something left in this years tank. With him, our pitching rotation looks formidable.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 4:43 pm

We all hate the Angels. Whadda ya know? It's pretty easy to when you think about it. They have changed geographic identity without relocation how many times now? They started out as the Los Angeles Angels playing at the home of the old Coast League team of the same name, Wrigley Field (built a year before the stadium in Chicago), moved to Dodger Stadium for four seasons before taking over Orange County. Somewhere in there they rebranded themselves as the California Angels. Okay. Not bad. Four other MLB teams in Cali by this point and you are going to claim the whole state. Whatever polishes your halo. So, well entrenched in Anaheim Stadium they have stayed. Then Disney bought the team and renamed it the Anaheim Angels. Greeeeat. Just waiting for the Arlington Rangers, the Queens Mets, etc... When that proved about as popular with the team's fan base as a pile-up on I-10 at 5:30 on a Monday in July something different was needed. Something *ahem* COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Not gonna hold my breath waiting for the Texas Rangers of Arlington or the New York Mets of Queens.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Let's not forget that crapgasm Angels In The Outfield. Has there been a worse baseball movie made? If so, i hope never to watch it. It's not even that the Yankees are the bad guys, i could enjoy that, in fact in i have thoroughly enjoyed it in other movies. It's just (imho) a terrible film whose concept makes ZERO sense.

I think Price will have a resurgent year. He came up with the Rays, then went to Toronto (after a very brief stint in Detroit), then Boston. He's spent 12 years pitching in the arguably the most competitive division in the bigs, he's pitched against DHs not pitchers. I know the NL West has some good bats, but they haven't spent the last 12 years scouting the guy, and he didn't survive 12 years at the top level of the game, in that division, by being easy to scout. The Dodgers score runs, too, and Price has always done a lot better with run support. Everybody does i know, but i think he gets an extra psychological edge, especially since having left Tampa.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 9:02 pm

@TBC wrote:
We all hate the Angels. Whadda ya know? It's pretty easy to when you think about it. They have changed geographic identity without relocation how many times now? They started out as the Los Angeles Angels playing at the home of the old Coast League team of the same name, Wrigley Field (built a year before the stadium in Chicago), moved to Dodger Stadium for four seasons before taking over Orange County. Somewhere in there they rebranded themselves as the California Angels. Okay. Not bad. Four other MLB teams in Cali by this point and you are going to claim the whole state. Whatever polishes your halo. So, well entrenched in Anaheim Stadium they have stayed. Then Disney bought the team and renamed it the Anaheim Angels. Greeeeat. Just waiting for the Arlington Rangers, the Queens Mets, etc...
They were just trying to make a home for themselves. The Dodgers had been here since the late '50s.

@TBC wrote:
...When that proved about as popular with the team's fan base as a pile-up on I-10 at 5:30 on a Monday in July something different was needed. Something *ahem* COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim...
TBC, you must've lived here once upon a time. There's nothing worse than an accident on the Santa Monica Fwy., at rush-hour.

Let's not forget that crapgasm Angels In The Outfield. Has there been a worse baseball movie made? If so, i hope never to watch it. It's not even that the Yankees are the bad guys, i could enjoy that, in fact in i have thoroughly enjoyed it in other movies. It's just (imho) a terrible film whose concept makes ZERO sense...
Yeah, I didn't like that one either.
But, one of my favorite baseball movies, "You throw like a girl!" Sandlot.

@TBC wrote:
...I think Price will have a resurgent year. He came up with the Rays, then went to Toronto (after a very brief stint in Detroit), then Boston. He's spent 12 years pitching in the arguably the most competitive division in the bigs, he's pitched against DHs not pitchers. I know the NL West has some good bats, but they haven't spent the last 12 years scouting the guy, and he didn't survive 12 years at the top level of the game, in that division, by being easy to scout. The Dodgers score runs, too, and Price has always done a lot better with run support. Everybody does i know, but i think he gets an extra psychological edge, especially since having left Tampa.
Damn! I can't remember a pitcher who moved from the AL to the NL?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyFri Feb 21, 2020 11:34 pm

A pitcher who moved from the AL to the NL?

Lessee... Clemens and Pettite come immediately to mind, as does the recently mentioned Randy Johnson. Pedro Martinez did it. And those are all just guys who should be in the Hall by now, i'm sure it's happened a lot.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 5:18 pm

A pitcher who moved from the AL to the NL?

Lessee... Clemens and Pettite come immediately to mind, as does the recently mentioned Randy Johnson. Pedro Martinez did it. And those are all just guys who should be in the Hall by now, i'm sure it's happened a lot.
What actually prompted this question doesn't make a lot of sense now with analytics and such.

While Price has never pitched as a NL pitcher, I'm sure NL teams will have the "book" on him. What he likes to throw at certain times in a game.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Feb 26, 2020 1:08 am

I know there was that effort to make the strike zones more similar, so that's not that big an adjustment anymore, but a guy who has accuracy as strong as Price's would've adjusted to that pretty quickly anyway imo.

The scouts can figure a guy out on paper in a few months but it's not until a lot of the bats that actually see him on a regular basis start to figure him out that he's in trouble, and Price is no one-trick pony. He's got several quality pitches. I stand by my prediction that he has a strong year.

It does seem a little dumbfounding that this trade appears to have taken place over money, particularly and especially the Red Sox's desire to get under the luxury tax threshold. Betts was the defending AL MVP last year. Price is potentially poised to pitch himself into the Hall in Cooperstown, a 5-time All-Star 33 year old with a career .652 wpct including his first six years with the Tampa Rays, where he won a Cy Young one year and was runner up another year.

I love to pretend to hate to bring it up, but it reminds me of a famous player-for-cash trade that saved a theatre in Boston from bankruptcy (for a few extra years anyway).  But then i see that Conor Wong hit a Grand Slam in Spring Training and i cackle wickedly. I see Dusty Pedroia is still playing after his combined 31 At-Bats in the last two years. I like Dusty, i hope he's feeling better. Nonetheless i feel like this post should be read with ominous music playing in the background. Maybe not Imperial March though. Maybe the dramatic stuff about who shall stand before the might of The Two Towers, with Yankee Stadium and Dodger Stadium rising into view like Mordor and Isengard.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyWed Feb 26, 2020 3:29 pm

...The scouts can figure a guy out on paper in a few months but it's not until a lot of the bats that actually see him on a regular basis start to figure him out that he's in trouble, and Price is no one-trick pony. He's got several quality pitches. I stand by my prediction that he has a strong year...
From your keyboard to God's eyes!  scrd

...It does seem a little dumbfounding that this trade appears to have taken place over money, particularly and especially the Red Sox's desire to get under the luxury tax threshold. Betts was the defending AL MVP last year. Price is potentially poised to pitch himself into the Hall in Cooperstown, a 5-time All-Star 33 year old with a career .652 wpct including his first six years with the Tampa Rays, where he won a Cy Young one year and was runner up another year...
Well, all reports to the contrary.
I've heard nothing from the pundits except the Red Sox are in a rebuilding landscape.
I'd be curious to know how much of Cora's Astros backstory prompted this move?

...I like Dusty, i hope he's feeling better. Nonetheless i feel like this post should be read with ominous music playing in the background. Maybe not Imperial March though. Maybe the dramatic stuff about who shall stand before the might of The Two Towers, with Yankee Stadium and Dodger Stadium rising into view like Mordor and Isengard.
I like him too. I'd be curious to know what our resident Nationals fan has to say about the hire. Oh Maturin!

HRD, I don't know how long Henry has given the organization to turn this thing around, but for now, you can stick-a-fork in the Boston Red Sox's.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 8:40 pm

Maybe not Imperial March though. Maybe the dramatic stuff about who shall stand before the might of The Two Towers, with Yankee Stadium and Dodger Stadium rising into view like Mordor and Isengard.

Pedant moment: The specific Two Towers were Isengard and Minas Morgul.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 8:56 pm

yay
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 1:39 pm

Was looking over the Mariners spring training roster. Pitching staff looks good but the position players are a sketchy lot. There's a rookie who came up through the team's farm system in two years after being drafted out of college starting at First. I don't think we have had that since Alvin Davis. Oh wait...he wasn't on the opening day roster in 1982.

That was an odd occurrence. All 8 position players on the opening starting list for the 1981 Salt Lake City Gulls were the 1982 opening day starters for the Mariners at the same positions, except for Davis. He was called up a week into the season and inserted into the starting line-up immediately. That's how badly things had gone for the team. They had gone from Dick Williams to Del Crandall to Maury Wills, who was drinking heavily. Wills was fired mid-season and Rene Lachmann was hired for what would be his only managerial job in his very long tenure as an MLB coach. He hit the reset button on the team. Still lost more games than they won but they were fun. One of the best parts of the act was the arrival of closer Bill "Cuffs" Caudill and his set-up man Ed Vande Berg, a diminutive lefty with baffling off-speed stuff. I got both their autographs one night and I was surprised how short Vande Berg was. Also how genial. Caudill was known as 'The Inspector", his walk from the bullpen to the mound would be serenaded by Henry Mancini's "Theme from The Pink Panther". He was also a notorious prankster, but occasionally would cross the line. Once Lachmann bought a pair of running shoes which Caudill deemed an offense to taste. His response was to pour some lighter fluid on them in the middle of the clubhouse and light them on fire. This necessitated a new carpet for the clubhouse, because huge black burn mark. Not quite up there with the time Ken Griffey, Jr. snuck a cow into Lou Piniella's office, but it's pretty legendary in the all-time Mariner japes book.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Had a chance to watch the highlights of an "All-Access" baseball game the other night. It was a woot!
Has anyone else got a looksee?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 7:17 pm

I thought about catching some of the Red Sox and Braves version today, Hodge, but decided it would be time better spent helping TPTB straighten out and reorganize some of our bedroom.

It was the Braves who were all "miked up" too, which isn't something one can normally expect from the generally AL East oriented ESPN. Ah well, it's good to hear that they're making it fun. As you may or may not know, i'm fond of recommending minor league and preseason big league games as fun and cost-efficient options to big league regular and post season games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MLB Hall of Fame! Empty
PostSubject: Re: MLB Hall of Fame!   MLB Hall of Fame! Empty

Back to top Go down

MLB Hall of Fame!
Page 1 of 1