AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inthe umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  Emptythe umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  Emptythe umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  Empty 
gin (20877)
the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  Emptythe umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  Emptythe umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
davidalan

davidalan

the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  Empty
PostSubject: the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2    the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 2:05 am

a fitting title to a fitting opening

Run Boy Run

smokethingy

Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2    the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 2:06 am

soon will follow discussion of episode 2.

smokethingy
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2    the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 2:08 am

in a couple of pots posts my own commentary will begin. please feel free to add your own commentary to this or any other episode.

smokethingy
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2    the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 2:09 am

smokethingy
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

PostSubject: Re: the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2    the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 2:43 am

so far it appears that number 5 is the star of this show. or one of two stars because i think number 7 vanya has a role to play that will be more extraordinary than her asshole father could have ever imagined. but it's number 5 who blows his gasket at mealtime and ends up traveling way too far in the future at such a young age. there (but at the end of the episode) he plucks elle driver's eye the prosthetic eye out from the fingertips of 1 luther who is definitely dead in the fiery rubbly catastrophic future. 5 also discovers 2 diego, 3 allison, and 4 klaus. but no 7 vanya? and in between 5 has not one but two brash meetings with the representative of the medical parts clinic in an effort to find out the owner of the detached futuristic eye. and if that's not enough 5 survives a shoot out at a department store while rescuing the mannequin dolores who maybe was 5's wilson ball in the future. anyway 5 is the primary catalyst so far.

but what are the others up to?

1 luther still seems to be stumbling around looking for answers. he has another knife encounter with diego and a conversation that ends equally poorly. then he wanders back to the mansion only to discover that 3 allison suddenly agrees with him about their asshole father's death and that 5 has been hurt but 5 not only doesn't want help but insists that help is futile.

2 diego sticks in nose into the business of real detectives. and gets tased for his trouble. apparently diego and the woman detective had a thing. but now she's not having any of his bullshit. so diego wanders to his boiler room pied a terre and senses 1 luther's presence so diego throws another knife but this time just to mess with him. i loved diego's tone with: you have a nice day. at the end of the episode he's off again to yet another shooting spree caused in part by brother 5.

3 allison gives 7 vanya a rather dumb tongue-lashing and then smokes while sitting on the window sill of her former bedroom. she also talks on the phone about the reason why her missing a session is valid. she sounds misunderstood. unfortunately she also sounds underwritten at times, as though her purpose in being there is to help the boys connect the dots. anyway i hope for more from her next episode.

4 klaus has some of my favorite moments. particularly with a livelier dead 6 ben who is silent no longer in fact he's deeply sarcastic and biting towards 4 klaus' substance spree and on stealing priceless artifacts from the house to feed his habit. 6 ben gives one of the best comeback lines where after klaus tells him to drop dead ben answers back with low blow. loved it. klaus also obliquely comes out as at least bisexual if that wasn't obvious already. after he helps 5 the boy at the 5's second go at the medical parts clinic, 4 klaus rambles on about shacking up with some guy for a few days because he just needed a place but it didn't mean anything, but of course 5 teleports into a cab and leaves 4 klaus unpaid for impersonating 5's very psycho father.

7 vanya offers 5 the couch and further conversation about 5's prophetic apocalyptic vision, but 5 bolts. 7 vanya returns to the house and 5's there. all is not well. meanwhile 7 vanya has to carrying on her day of giving violin lessons. some dude student older than she was expecting shows up and they have a weird time of things. more on him later.

there of some other new people who seem to have more than incidental supporting role significance. the first two are hazel and cha cha. paid assassinations. hazel worries a lot about declining per diems and a reduction in their dental plans. cha cha worries more about working not behind a cubicle and about reaching death or retirement. she also chides hazel for not following protocol. hazel is tired of carrying this heavy item around and hides in their shared motel room near his bed. im sure that's a good idea. whatever that item is, we'll be seeing it again. as for these two they're best when they have snappy lines and loud ratatat weapons. but when they have bureaucratic conversations they sound well too bureaucratic and uninteresting. they're fun three quarters of the time.

the other new person is 7 vanya's adult violin student leonard. leonard presents as a midlife crisis nerd but i think there's more to him. he may be one of the special born who asshole professor wasn't able to find. or he may be a villain. he's something though. maybe he's the eye guy. not sure yet. we'll see him again.

this episode wasn't quite as dynamic as the first one, and thank goodness for number 5 the boy whose rebellious adventure into time travel ended up heartbreaking and you felt it, number 4 klaus, and number 7 vanya to keep the story energy level as high as they did. 2 diego wasn't bad per se, but he was caught up in a storyline i just didn't care all that much about. 6 ben was the breakout supporting player. i hope there's more of him.

what did you think of this episode or of the show in general?

smokethingy
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2    the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Number 5 is so good in this role that I had to look him up and find out how old he really is. Turns out, he really is just a teen ager, albeit a brilliant prodigy of a teen ager. Looking forward to his future works.

This entire cast is amazing and did a great job. It's good to see Billy Bones from Black Sails again.

It's hard for me to discuss the show episodically since I binged it. All the eps run together. This is the type of show, for me, that's just good stupid fun, much like Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Not a lot of deep thinking required and enough unique ideas to keep me interested.

I hope there is a season 2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2    the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2  Empty

Back to top Go down

the umbrella academy on netflix episode 2
Page 1 of 1