AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inMo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyMo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyMo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress Empty 
gin (20877)
Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyMo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyMo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6907)

Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress Empty
PostSubject: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyTue May 01, 2018 3:03 am

Don't call it a reboot.

I know that i never posted my notes for ep9, and i've lost them now, so buggrem. If i can skip everything between two episodes in on the 5th doc and Eccleston, y'all will do fine w/o my FW impressions of Lost Child.

Season: ??? Episode:10: The Doctor Dances:

He sent them to their room. He was quite cross. Outstanding opening.

It's drunk, i'm late, more to come soon, i promise.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyTue May 01, 2018 5:37 pm

YESSSSS.

Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyTue May 01, 2018 9:34 pm

I don't particularly like Jack. In spite of his rap about being a con man, it's not necessarily that i don't trust him, though there are certainly angles of his personality which i don't trust. I sense that he lacks empathy, and not quite in the same way that the Doctor lacks empathy. The Doctor is capable of some empathy, it's just that his alien nature gets in the way some times. It's nice that Rose having a good time with Jack, but i think she's a young lady with a tendency to love a little too easily some times, and i fear Jack will hurt her, not because he enjoys hurting her, but because he doesn't understand her.

I love Rose's Union Jack tee.

So the Doctor blew up the factory and encouraged a banana grove. He likes bananas, bananas are good. I think i recall a British humour/sci-fi book in which it turns out that bananas were actually sent back in time after having been genetically created. They're highly nutritious, easy to clone, grow in areas where many nutritious food has difficulty, and they even come in their own 100% naturally biodegradable packaging. A Tom Holt book perhaps.

Powerful and angry. I haven't forgotten that i'm expecting a Bad Wolf at some point before the end of the season. I don't expect to see it in this episode, but i wonder if the destruction in the room is connected.

What wonderfully creepy atmospheric music as we listen to the reel-to-reel tapes of the child demanding his mummy and repeatedly asking a man with a baritone voice if he is the child's mummy. Also interesting how otherwise innocent childish drawings of a woman become so chilling in context.

Now there's a ballsy little blackmailer. This young woman was set up as rather a hero in the last episode, but British fiction has historically taken rather a dim view of blackmail in general, and even when someone likable commits it, and even when they do so out of exigent circumstances and even given a noble cause, the blackmailers often pay a hefty price themselves. I think that's one of the reasons that the From Hell narrative used to explain the Ripper murders is so popular in the UK - it feeds into certain tropes and follows a narrative that makes sense in a deeply intuitive way.

Jack just disappeared. Okay. About 15 seconds after boasting about his gallant rescue of the lovely damsel in distress, he buggers off and leaves her there, without so much as a tip of the hat. Pfft.

Great scene with the kids.

So cutesy to see Eccleston playing jealous.

They have a song. Awww. I think that's Glen Miller's In The Mood, too. Juicy.

She wants to dance with the Doctor to the tune of her song with Jack?

At this point i'm rather more interested in the story of the girl with the braids than i am in the love triangle story. The weird disease or whatever it is almost feels more like an X-Files episode than a Doctor Who story.

Just this once, everybody lives. LOL! In the blitz, no less!

I had a feeling Jack wasn't going to die. After all, the Doctor had said that just this once, everybody would live. Jack's readiness for self-sacrifice does speak well of him, though.

And that is Take The A Train!

Great episode!
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyWed May 02, 2018 2:11 am

Rose's UJ tee...first time I saw that I was having a serious Def Leppard flashback...All I got is a photograph....it's not enough.

Quick...how does the first convo between Rose and the Doctor end? Anybody? Bueller? Thank you, Ferris. That is correct. Nice to meet you, Rose Tyler. Now run for you life. unquote. And this is the point where you can begin to heap abuse on Russell Davies because...and I will say this clearly...The. Doctor. Does. Not. Run.

This was a practical precedent set by the first few actors in the role. After all, they were all older blokes and they solved problems with logic rather than by force. When haste was necessary, well, I remember Tom Baker walking briskly a couple of times, but never running because running implies that he has lost control of the situation and the Doctor is never NOT in control of the situation, and not even Davison, the youngest of the early Doctors ever ran. But when Davies resurrected the franchise and cast younger actors to broaden the fanbase he turned it into an action series, Bruce Willis with a blue box and a sex toy that opens doors.

Kelly, you laughed at me for "being all about 11"? It's not Matt Smith so much. even though I did take an immediate liking to him. It's that Moffat has been returning the series more toward what it was in the Pertwee/Tom Baker/Davison years. Only better. The meta-arc over the first two seasons of Smith was one of the greatest things I have ever seen on TV. And it only improves from there because the next Companion is one whom...well, won't go in to that. But Capaldi was not into running, the whole "He's too OLD to play The Doctor" line and I really doubt that Whittaker will be asked to run.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyWed May 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Ahhh, it's a hipster thing.

Now it makes sense.

Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyFri May 04, 2018 12:16 am

vonnegut wrote:
Ahhh, it's a hipster thing.

Now it makes sense.

I'd call it more a "levels of attraction" thing. Casting a wide net.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyFri May 04, 2018 1:25 am

You were definitely into levels of attraction before it was cool.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyFri May 04, 2018 7:22 am

Fish gotta swim, bird gotta fly, Kelly gotta be snarky.

It doesn't get much hipper than Bokononisms.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 12:06 pm

*looks around*

Huh.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 am

So i finished The Doctor Dances, finally, and hope to provide some notes on the rest of the season.

I also peeked ahead a bit and watched the first Jodie Whittaker episode. I couldn't help but notice that she was running a lot, which is something i've noticed about Eccleston as well. It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers the serious purists, but there is a bit of dignity and gravity that's lost to it. I got a nice laugh out of Graham pointing it out by first complaining that she's running (at an alien) and then that they're ALL running (at the alien). Way to embrace the warts.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Tennant was known for his running shoes.  I never noticed them on the others.  Maybe Smith, but I don't think they went with his bow tie.  :goof:
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptySat Nov 24, 2018 12:39 am

OMG you're watching again.

And OMG you can't just go from 9 to 13.

DO IT RIGHT MO OMG
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptySat Nov 24, 2018 7:02 am

Watching Boom Town.

I don't really have a lot to note on until they're all meeting up and the Slitheen's admitting to her plan to ride a pan-dimensional surfboard on a concussive nuclear blast out of our backwater solar system.

Everywhere they go, Bad Wolf. Yeah, i'd noticed. Coincidence my foot.

Raxicoracofallapatorious. Doesn't seem difficult to me.

This slitheen is murderous scum. I don't see how the Doctor could live with himself if he doesn't deliver her to justice.

Rose and Mickey are sneaking off for a little tawdry romantic evening of bar hopping and a hotel room. Sounds like fun.

Dinner in bondage, not so much.

If all of Cardiff did disappear, would London even notice?

Margaret regressed to egg-hood. What a great symbol to use, an egg. And it was the Heart of the TARDIS that regressed her, which has a shitton of potential ramifications, far too many for me to try to catalog, but from a writer's standpoint it opens all kinds of crazy possibilities.

Also, seeing the egg and having confirmation of what it means for "Margaret" makes a lot more sense of her final words as Margaret.

Rose wants a chance at a new life too? I think she's just sad about Mickey, i don't think she really means it. I almost kinda liked Mickey in this episode. Sure, the whole thing about claiming to be seeing whatshername (who lost weight) was a bit obvious and pathetic, but it was also a little poignant and sweet. Apparently he's decided that he really has some very strong emotions for Rose. His last appearance in this ep seems to hint that he might go dark, and let his resentment and bitter jealousy get the better of him. I believe in his essential goodness, though. If push comes to shove his intentions are good. I don't blame him for being a bit selfish, hopefully his stupidity won't get the best of him.

Wacky looking preview for Bad Wolf. Weakest Link meets Big Brother with Daleks thrown in for fun? eyes

________

Have no fear, vonne. If anything, my peek ahead helped motivate me to start watching more regularly again. Maybe i can be caught up in a year or two.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress EmptySun Nov 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Season 101, Episode 10: Bad Wolf

Well, great intro. We're as disconcerted as The Doctor. There was a lot to take in a short period of time. I'm guessing that a lot of it will/would make a lot more sense on re-watch.

Ah-ha-ha, Anne Droid. I'm glad i wasn't sipping my drink at that moment. But seriously folks, Rose is totally and utterly stupified, which is probably an ideal state for playing The Weakest Link. I wonder if Jack will be similarly confuddled.

Jack's thing was creepy from the start. He was far too comfortable even though it was a bit fun to see it. Drastic plastic surgery, eh? I guess The Doctor will be likely be the only one taking the bull by its horns.

REALLY weird scene with Rose. Her empathy was all off, not realizing that everybody else there was taking it all way too seriously.

Disintegrator beam? Is that really a way to shoehorn Daleks in?

-------- 16 minutes in
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress   Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress Empty

Back to top Go down

Mo's Dr Who Continuation FW Continuated in progress
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-