AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inNFL 2018 - Page 3 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyNFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyNFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty 
gin (20877)
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14879)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6907)

NFL 2018

Go down 
+7
TBC
Zaphod
Big John
Peggy Sawyer
His Royal Dorkness
davidalan
Hodgepodge
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Peggy Sawyer

Peggy Sawyer

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 am

That was a...weird day in the NFL.

I think I remember only one of those hook-and-lateral desperation plays working among the countless I've seen over the years. Then the Pats of all teams let it happen to them. I don't blame BB for having Gronk on the field as part of a "hands" team on defense; no one expects the multi-lateral play to go that far. But it did, and he oafed it. That on top of some missed kicks by Gostkowski, a mental mistake by Brady to end the first half, and some good things--two blocked punts and some really nice catches throughout--made it a truly bizarre game. It added up to another December loss in Miami for NE, and no more one-seed dreams for us.

Really don't know where to begin with the rest of it, but it seemed like every game was tight and improbable to some extent. I enjoyed the Rams, Steelers, Texans, Panthers and Eagles losing, though there were many officiating errors and the usual feeling of imbalance between offense and defense in today's football. Didn't enjoy seeing the Ravens throw away a chance at victory over the Chiefs, but did appreciate the defensive effort and college-style offense they employed.

Just don't know what to expect come the playoffs this year.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 7:48 am

It was a weird day Sunday, i agree.

Nobody in the NFC seems to be getting hot for that second wild card spot. We could see an 8 win team from the NFC take a playoff spot while one or more 9 win teams in the AFC sit out. Would that cause massive protests?
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 2:58 pm

I was glad to see the Saints garner that #1 seed Sunday.

Man, the Rams look normal in a cold environment. But, even if they stay the #2 seed, they still should host a game here in L.A.

If the playoffs started today, the 'Boys would host a game against the Seahawks. Man, I don't want to see them ever. We need to move up to the #3 seed so we'd play the Vikings.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 pm

TBC has had me thinking about those first-round matchups too, Hodge, and looking at the remaining schedule. I gotta say, i don't like the 'Boys's chances of passing Chicago for that 3 seed, but it's not at all impossible. Da Bears host the Packers then visit SF and Minnesota. I could see that last game going your way, especially if the Vikings have more to play for than Chicago does. Dallas will need to win out though, and you know how the Giants love to ruin other people's fun in Week 17 (or the SuperBowl).

I was jazzed to see the Saints move into the top conference spot too. Hopefully they can hold onto it.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 9:37 pm

The Patriots lost two games in a row. For any other team, that would be "back-to-back losses," but because it's New England, they're "suddenly slumping." It's ridiculous. They lost two road games, one to a divisional foe with a respectable record because of improbable stuff, then lost to another perennial contender who always prepares well for them. I have no love in my heart for the Patriots, but the coverage that *I* have seen, which has been admittedly narrow, has been beyond slanted to almost vertical.

Also, the Patriots lost two road games and suddenly soup materializes. About damn time.

________

For at least almost a day there, the Saints had the unquestionable best winning percentage in the NFL. Hopefully they can hold onto it tonight.
Back to top Go down
Peggy Sawyer

Peggy Sawyer

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 am

I agree that the Pats gloom scenarios have been overblown as usual, but there is a sense of decline. TB12 never made mental mistakes like the throw off his back foot (out-of-bounds by intent, INT by result) in the PIT game, or the sack at the end of the first half in the MIA game. For that matter, Edelman dropped two critical passes that were right in his chest at Pit, and they weren't his only such drops this year. Instead of the TD machine he used to be, Gronk is becoming an infrequent target hardly justifying the double-team attention he regularly receives. Hightower is a phantom half the time. McCourty and Chung are still okay, but they aren't as sharp as in years past. The play-calling, too, is lax...witness the drive consisting of 100% runs which culminated in a meager field goal in the third quarter of Sunday's game. The team is aging and slowing. That being said, we are more than capable of suddenly dominating any given opponent, by virtue of experience and inherent talent. We could easily run the table in the playoffs, though we can kiss a bye goodbye. So, the criticism is simultaneously warranted and excessive. In this day and age of extreme parity and all-offense, this postseason may be ours or anyone's.

Soup here? Hi, Soup!
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 1:56 pm

His Royal Dorkness wrote:
The Patriots lost two games in a row. For any other team, that would be "back-to-back losses," but because it's New England, they're "suddenly slumping." It's ridiculous. They lost two road games, one to a divisional foe with a respectable record because of improbable stuff, then lost to another perennial contender who always prepares well for them. I have no love in my heart for the Patriots, but the coverage that *I* have seen, which has been admittedly narrow, has been beyond slanted to almost vertical...

Peggy Sawyer wrote:
...The team is aging and slowing...
I agree we're not used to seeing the Pats as "normal", but I think Peggy hit the nail on the head. The "team" is getting older and slowing down. Plus, isn't it about time the League has caught up with the impregnable New England Patriots?

...Also, the Patriots lost two road games and suddenly soup materializes. About damn time.

Peggy Sawyer wrote:
...Soup here? Hi, Soup!
Where in the HELL is Soup?

...For at least almost a day there, the Saints had the unquestionable best winning percentage in the NFL. Hopefully they can hold onto it tonight.
Boy, that was close!  scrd

I'm amazed at how different the Saints are away from home. On the "road", this team is beatable. At home, they average 30+ points a game. Nearly unbeatable.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Hodge, the Saints finished their road season 7-1. They'll have to win out the season for their home record to tie it. I get what you're saying, though. I was worried about this game two months ago, and HATED the idea of the Saints and Panthers playing two of the last three games of the season head-to-head. The Panthers are built to beat the Saints, and had it not been for the defensive adjustments enabled by the acquisition of Eli Apple, they'd have won last night's game. I'm still a little worried, the Saints could potentially become the 3 seed if the Steelers are just a little lucky and the Panthers catch the breaks.

I guess soup got LOST somewhere between General and here. *sigh* facepalm
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Hodge, the Saints finished their road season 7-1...
HRD, I was just going by how tough it looks when they're away from home.
They score 10 points in a loosing battle against the 'Boys, and win a nail-biter (12-9) against the Panthers.
The other games away from home, what was their scoring average?

...The Panthers are built to beat the Saints, and had it not been for the defensive adjustments enabled by the acquisition of Eli Apple...
You know HRD, I've heard nothing but bad things about Apple. IIRC, wasn't he cut by the previous regime in New York. Brought back, then cut by the current regime.
It was even said during that game against Dallas, that the offense was picking on him because he was so vulnerable.

...I'm still a little worried, the Saints could potentially become the 3 seed if the Steelers are just a little lucky and the Panthers catch the breaks...
That's going to be a tough game against the Steelers. They have everything to play for. They can't be that far ahead of the Ravens in the AFC-North, so they're going to try and win out.

You have the tie-breaker against the Rams, so you only have to win one of the last two to secure homefield throughout the playoffs. Am I right about that?

ETA: Wanted to name the Dallas Cowboys who have been named to the Pro Bowl.

1. Zeke Elliot
2. Demarcus Lawrence
3. Tyron Smith
4. Zack Martin
5. Byron Jones (1st time)
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Apple has opened up the Saints's strong side secondary a lot over the guy he replaced, whose name i've already forgotten, and frankly not trying to remember. He was cut once by the Giants but was traded to the Saints. He might be looked at as a reclamation prospect but honestly i think it was an important pickup that's allowed Dennis Allen to implement defensive schemes that didn't and couldn't work with his predecessor. Think about the Saints's D before they got him and since. I've actually watched most of the games, and the difference is remarkable.

I'm honestly not sure about the tie-breaker v Rams, but i know that two losses could spell 3 seed, and IF the Saints lose to the Steelers, the Panthers will gut themselves to bring the Saints down a peg in week 17.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 7:33 pm

HRD, just got this news over the wire:

Ron Rivera will sit Cam Newton for the remaining two games of the season.
Which means, when the Saints play them in the last game of the season, they'll have their backup under Center.
Here's the complete story. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001001897/article/panthers-cam-newton-expected-to-miss-rest-of-season
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Oh, that IS good news. Thank you, Hodge!!!
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Latest news:

Josh Gordon has stepped away from the New England Patriots for the rest of the season. 'Cause! His mental health!
Now, the backdrop to this is, he's apparently going to be suspended indefinitely (once again) by the League for substance abuse.
I'm going to assume, this "substance" can't be marijuana? You can stop marijuana for a millions of dollar contract. Can't you?  ?

Here's the whole story: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002110/article/patriots-wr-josh-gordon-indefinitely-suspended

Also, what does this do for the chances of the Patriots going far in the playoffs?

Peggy, Soup, what are you guys hearing from those close to the team?

Last edited by Hodgepodge on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Oh, that IS good news. Thank you, Hodge!!!
Looking out for you! hai
Back to top Go down
Peggy Sawyer

Peggy Sawyer

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 9:57 am

Hodgepodge wrote:
Latest news:

Josh Gordon has stepped away from the New England Patriots for the rest of the season. 'Cause! His mental health!
Now, the backdrop to this is, he's apparently going to be suspended indefinitely (once again) by the League for substance abuse.
I'm going to assume, this "substance" can't be marijuana? You can stop marijuana for a millions of dollar contract. Can't you?  ?

Also, what does this do for the chances of the Patriots going far in the playoffs?

Peggy, Soup, what are you guys hearing from those close to the team?

It's pretty hard to find a positive spin in all this. The trade deadline being past, we can't do much to replace him. Anyone coming in would have to learn a complex offense incredibly quickly, anyway. No, we'll be leaning on our newer, younger running backs more (Hollister's and Patterson's roles will increase); while old hands like Gronk, White, Edelman and Develin will be asked to dig deep and carry the team through the postseason one more time. Knowing how this unit usually reacts to adversity, I think we'll see a focused group and a burst in production, at least temporarily. Whether or not these declining stars can take us to or through another SB is another matter.

Let's face it, it sucks. I really liked what Gordon brought, from day one. Unfortunate for him and the team.
Back to top Go down
soup

soup

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 1:47 pm

Hey everyone. It's been a long time since I got to discuss NFL with you guys. How many years has this been going here, looks like since 2012.

ANYWAY:

1) Josh Gordon- Look, it was a low risk, potentially high reward act, which paid off short term, just not long term. Don't know why the guy can't stay off the weed, it really should not be a banned substance, but he should be able to stay off. Wish him good luck.

2) Steelers game- God, we played bad. 14 penalties? We deserved 9 of them. My fave was the PI that the ref threw from the other side of the field, 6 secs after the play was over. Tony Romo said "I don't see anything there" on the replay, but Jim Nantz contributed "it could have been earlier...." Brady's INT, the dropped passes, the inept play-calling. It was all miserable.

3) #2 seed: All we need is for the Eagles to beat the Texans with a backup QB :goof: , and the Pats to win out, at home, against the Jets and Bills. It's doable.

It's also futile if we don't shore up our porous run defense and fix the blitz protection.

Ahhhhhhhh, 5 years of pent up posting...............
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 6:44 pm

Peggy Sawyer wrote:
It's pretty hard to find a positive spin in all this. The trade deadline being past, we can't do much to replace him. Anyone coming in would have to learn a complex offense incredibly quickly, anyway. No, we'll be leaning on our newer, younger running backs more (Hollister's and Patterson's roles will increase); while old hands like Gronk, White, Edelman and Develin will be asked to dig deep and carry the team through the postseason one more time. Knowing how this unit usually reacts to adversity, I think we'll see a focused group and a burst in production, at least temporarily. Whether or not these declining stars can take us to or through another SB is another matter...
Yeah, I've been hearing that everyone else is going to have to step-up.
That old adage, next man up is definitely going to get a workout when the playoffs start.

Peggy Sawyer wrote:
...Let's face it, it sucks. I really liked what Gordon brought, from day one. Unfortunate for him and the team.

soup wrote:
...1)  Josh Gordon- Look, it was a low risk, potentially high reward act, which paid off short term, just not long term.  Don't know why the guy can't stay off the weed, it really should not be a banned substance, but he should be able to stay off.  Wish him good luck...
You know every time I saw Gordon in a Pats uniform I got a glimpse of the past.

I know he wasn't as tall, and he probably wasn't as fast, but he reminded me of Randy Moss. I thought this was going to rejuvenate his career in New England.

For millions of dollars I think I could quit anything. JMO!
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Remember Ricky Williams!!!

________

Nice to see you finally found the NFL thread, soup!
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 8:21 pm

I must admit I figured out how the Browns could slip into the playoffs before the read about it. I kept hearing the Browns are still mathematically in! How? Well I figured out it requires Indianapolis and Tennessee both losing on Sunday and then tying the subsequent week. Deeply unlikely. But the Browns' genuine goal should be to win out the season. Then they should keep their current coach and staff. And improve the team itself without disassembling it.

My friend Stuntdog should support the Browns in their season ending quest. It means they beat the Ravens which means the Steelers have a better shot of reaching the playoffs. The Ravens of course play the Chargers and I think that'll mean a Raven loss because outside of that weird home loss to Denver the Chargers are hot. They may surpass Kansas City which has a weird Sunday night game at Seattle. Which Seattle will show up?

Houston at Philadelphia is the game I'm most interested in. Will Houston hang on for a bye? Will Philadelphia hang on to their season?

eta: Tennessee wins and Im sure eliminates Cleveland. Also Baltimore is ahead of LAChargers 6-0.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 7:22 am

If the Texans win then the Seahawks will clinch a playoff spot before they even kick-off.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 7:02 pm

The Texans failed. These Eagles (Reigning SBMVP Nick Foles's Eagles) don't go easy into any good nights. The Eagles go to DC next week.

However, Seattle needs only win a game to make the postseason. If they can't handle the Chiefs tonight, they get to host the 49ers next week. If they lose both of those, they might still make it in anyway, but they won't deserve it. That's not likely to happen, but it is, if only barely, conceivable, because the Vikings host the Bears in week 17. SO... *IF* the Eagles lose to Washington AND the Seahawks lose to BOTH KC AND Frisco AND the Viking lose to the Bears, Seattle gets the 6 seed.

What seems likely to me is that Seattle's game tonight is the 5-6 difference maker, although they can lose tonight and still claim the 5 seed with some help from Chicago.

Helluva game right now between the Saints and Steelers. The Bears and Rams have their games well in hand, while the Saints are playing well but certainly not dominating. Really nice to see Ted Ginn Jr. playing well and stretching the field against a fine secondary unit.

Colts-Titans-Ravens all at 9-6 and all looking for that AFC 6 seed. Colts and Titans play heads-up next week, Ravens host the hot Browns. I've no idea how the tie-breakers work out if the Ravens win, nor how Patriot-Texans tie-breakers effect the AFC 2 seed.
Back to top Go down
soup

soup

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 am

And despite the anxiety and death proclamations the Pats are back to the 2nd seed.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 4:30 pm

That "Thank You" to Nick Foles was some cheeky shit. Best hope you don't meet up with the Texans in the post-season.

Hawks are officially back in the playoffs after missing out for a year, thanks to Blair "Laces Out!" Walsh. Talk about yer death proclamations, some sites had the team down for winning as few as FOUR games this season. How about they actually won that many away games, and they will be looking for win number ten on the season on Sunday when they host the Cardinals. Oh, and Russell Wilson is now the first quarterback in the history of the NFL to post winning records in each of his first seven seasons. He's going to be looking for regular season win number 76 against 36 losses.
Back to top Go down
Peggy Sawyer

Peggy Sawyer

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 7:17 pm

soup wrote:
And despite the anxiety and death proclamations the Pats are back to the 2nd seed.

It felt like a loss more than any win we've had in a long while, but whatever...we're back to #2 and even have a chance at #1, should the Raiders pull off a miracle next week.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 25, 2018 2:54 pm

The Pats win against the Jets and they can rest a week. If things go according to math Houston will come back to town.

Whatever happens between Cleveland and Baltimore next Sunday, it's great and weird here to have a shot at a winning season.

New Orleans I guess looks like the best team all around. But the Steelers helped them win.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 1:36 am

For years we have been jerking the Niners' fans in the trash talk FB page about their team being the "Browns of the NFC". A couple of weeks ago I posted up that it's not true anymore...The Browns are actually WINNING! lol4
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 5:40 am

After going 1-31 in the previous two seasons, seven wins has to feel pretty good. I hope they can win in week 17 too, but even if they don't, this season has to feel like a huge relief.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 4:14 pm

This is going to be a hard week to know what your favorite team is going to do when it comes to the final week of the season.
Are they going to play their "starters"? And if so, for how long?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 8:05 pm

It's true they don't have much to play for. The top conference seed is locked up. There are really only a few things that i can think of for much motivation. #1 is that it's always good to end the regular season on a win, especially headed into a bye week. Setting a new franchise record for wins in a season probably isn't a big consideration for Sean Payton, but it might figure in just a little bit. Probably more significant is the consideration that the starters shouldn't rest so much that they go cold.

If i had to guess, i'd say the starters probably play at least the first half, unless something unforeseen happens. If Carolina without Cam puts up a good fight without fighting dirty, they might stay in longer.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 1:41 pm

It's true they don't have much to play for. The top conference seed is locked up. There are really only a few things that i can think of for much motivation. #1 is that it's always good to end the regular season on a win, especially headed into a bye week. Setting a new franchise record for wins in a season probably isn't a big consideration for Sean Payton, but it might figure in just a little bit. Probably more significant is the consideration that the starters shouldn't rest so much that they go cold.

If i had to guess, i'd say the starters probably play at least the first half, unless something unforeseen happens. If Carolina without Cam puts up a good fight without fighting dirty, they might stay in longer.
HRD, just heard Teddy is going to start Sunday's game against the Panthers.
Payton's going to put him front-and-center to see what he can get in this coming draft.

As you mentioned, there's nothing to play for, so why not put a dress on that pig and see if anybody wants to dance. :goof:
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Bridgewater's a fine choice to start that game, and i saw that too. I definitely don't think anybody's worried that Brees will go cold. The O line is so decimated by injury that there's really no room to rest guys. We might see some of the older defensive players getting a little extra rest, and i expect not to see the more valuable receivers playing the slot at any time.

Does anybody think that the Titans have a chance at home this week? Vegas has the Colts as 3 point road favorites. The Titans have never won a game that Andrew Luck started in.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Bridgewater's a fine choice to start that game, and i saw that too. I definitely don't think anybody's worried that Brees will go cold. The O line is so decimated by injury that there's really no room to rest guys. We might see some of the older defensive players getting a little extra rest, and i expect not to see the more valuable receivers playing the slot at any time...
Speaking of your O-Line, which one of your Tackles got hurt in that game against the Steelers? Is he on the mend?

...Does anybody think that the Titans have a chance at home this week? Vegas has the Colts as 3 point road favorites. The Titans have never won a game that Andrew Luck started in.
I don't think they do, but it's the highlighted portion, that gives me pause.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 11:36 am

So the playoffs are official. Some thoughts:

Houston must lament their late season losses because now they face Indianapolis. I pick Indianapolis. They're surging. Houston is merely beating the teams they should but couldn't close out Philadelphia for example.

San Diego at Baltimore. Depends which San Diego. Depends which Baltimore. The Browns were I think a little less inexperience away from upsetting the Ravens. It was a very close game. I pick Baltimore in a close game simply because of home but San Diego winning wouldn't surprise me. Maybe they'll feel a little vengeful.

Philadelphia at Chicago. My heart says Nick Foles and the Eagles but my mind says the Bears. I think in the end the Bears will triumph but I don't think it'll be all that easy.

Seattle at Dallas. Another instance of which team? Which Seattle? Which Dallas? Dallas because they're home? Sure. Okay.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Hodgepodge wrote:
Bridgewater's a fine choice to start that game, and i saw that too. I definitely don't think anybody's worried that Brees will go cold. The O line is so decimated by injury that there's really no room to rest guys. We might see some of the older defensive players getting a little extra rest, and i expect not to see the more valuable receivers playing the slot at any time...
Speaking of your O-Line, which one of your Tackles got hurt in that game against the Steelers? Is he on the mend?
That was Ryan Ramczyk. He's slated to start again. This break is big for the Saints OL. There's only one guy on IR. Armstead, Bushrod, and Warford could potentially all be back in time to host the lowest remaining seed.

davidalan wrote:
So the playoffs are official. Some thoughts:

Houston must lament their late season losses because now they face Indianapolis. I pick Indianapolis. They're surging. Houston is merely beating the teams they should but couldn't close out Philadelphia for example.

San Diego at Baltimore. Depends which San Diego. Depends which Baltimore. The Browns were I think a little less inexperience away from upsetting the Ravens. It was a very close game. I pick Baltimore in a close game simply because of home but San Diego winning wouldn't surprise me. Maybe they'll feel a little vengeful.

Philadelphia at Chicago. My heart says Nick Foles and the Eagles but my mind says the Bears. I think in the end the Bears will triumph but I don't think it'll be all that easy.

Seattle at Dallas. Another instance of which team? Which Seattle? Which Dallas? Dallas because they're home? Sure. Okay.

Your thoughts?
Colts and Texans is an interesting match. Aside from being divisional rivals, they're both teams who've had a lot of postseason disappointments in the last ten years. I agree with BA about the Colts, they're probably the hottest team in the NFL right now and the Texans seemed to be losing a step as the season wound down.

The Chargers have an even longer litany of disappointment. Unlike the Texans, they're not a recent expansion; unlike the Colts, they don't have a SB win in the last 15 years nor an ancient history of winning. I think Baltimore will win this game, though it'd be nice to see Phillip Rivers have at least a little more postseason success.

I'd love to see the Eagles soar in Chicago, because i think the Saints match up better against Philly than either Dallas or Seattle. But my brain says Chicago will prevail, and probably lose in L.A.

As for Seattle in Dallas, i think the Seahawks are in better shape. I'll be rooting for Dallas because i have to live with the results.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 4:51 pm

Well BA, I've already accepted this will be another "one-and-done" playoff appearance by "America's Team". I just don't see them beating a Russell Wilson led Seahawks team. Damn Seahawks! Damn TBC!

I honestly think the Eagles can go down there to Chicago and beat the Bears. They've been there before, and it's been a decade since the Bears have seen the playoffs. Plus, Chicago has Trubenski (spl) under Center. Although, I see this kid with nothing but upside, this will be his first foray into the "second season".

Over on the AFC side of the equation: That Texans vs. Colts game is up in the air as far as I'm concerned. I like Houston, but Indy, and in turn, Luck have really showed me something this season. If there's an award for "comeback-player", Andrew Luck is a shoe-in.

Personally, it's time for Rivers to show what he's made of by winning a playoff game. Yeah, its going to be difficult against the Ravens, but it's either now or never.

On the other side, Lamar Jackson is a "freak"! I truly feel, a QB who puts himself in harms way that often isn't long in the League. Do you remember RGIII? After a breakout season, he's now the third-string backup for the Ravens.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 7:03 am

I always said that I preferred quarterbacks with speed and agility to use that to get out of trouble, into good passing situations or to scramble for positive yards, a la Elway or Staubach. Wilson is about the only guy I have ever seen who I don't wince at when he takes of on a designed run. There are several reasons for this. First is that he slides properly. That's the baseball player in him. The second is that he's shorter than most QBs but he's pretty strong. At the tail end of 2014 in a game vs the 49ers he tanked some rookie LB and broke his collarbone. The poor kid retired before camp started the next summer, don't know whether it was because he didn't want to play for a head coach who was a Ron Jeremy look-alike or because too many people were heckling him over a 5'10" QB going over him like Bo over Boz. I don't know that there's video anywhere, you would probably have to watch the game footage from NFL Films, but what happened was wilson was on a designed run down the right side, about 10 yards downfield already by this point, the kid tried to make a play but was out of position, Wilson sensed it and turned into him. Knocked him ass over teakettle, the kid landed hard on his shoulder, that's when the collarbone went. So that's the third thing...he doesn't pick any fights he can't win. Look at Jimmy G-String: Blew out his knee in the third game of the season trying to get a yard on the sideline. Can't fault the determination, pal, but still stupid.
Back to top Go down
Maturin

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 12:20 am

Hodgepodge wrote:

Do you remember RGIII? After a breakout season, he's now the third-string backup for the Ravens.

Sad Washington should go to the hot place and burn for a few eons.

Go Ravens.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 pm

Have to say that the Seahawks' biggest advantage going into this game is the Cowboys' own expectation that they are going to shoot themselves in the foot in the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 8:39 am

What would you say is the Cowboys' biggest advantage?
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 5:06 pm

being fortunate enough to beat the Eagles before the Eagles won 3 in a row.

speaking of the Eagles, methinks the Cowboys should hope for an Eagles win against the Bears. Otherwise the Cowboys face the Saints in New Orleans.

meanwhile in the world of wackiness, there was a certain series of is it a rolling in the endzone touchdown or isn't it even a catch at all or is it a fumble and an opposing touchdown or is the player down by contact during the Chargers and Ravens game. Stuntdog and I were watching all this at a sports bar. We thought the Chargers roll into the endzone was a touchdown. We thought the next play broke the plane but barely resulting in no Ravens run back for a score. Then we saw the replay. A Ravens player tripped up the Chargers runner resulting in a down by contact just before the endzone. The Chargers stormed into the endzone on the next play. Anyway the Chargers hung on for the win after a Ravens rally. With one enemy team (acc. to Stuntdog) dispatched, now he's hoping for the Chargers to do the same to the Patriots (he hates the Patriots---if you didn't know already).
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 9:02 pm

Well, every wild card team except Seattle won.

I wonder if Hodge will go to the Coliseum to see his favorite team play his local team. I believe that Dallas right now is a team that has the potential to beat any team in the league, though next week's game in L.A., the odds against them will be long. If the Cowboys' defense steps up yet again, they'll be in this game at least; it should be fun to watch.

I didn't watch much this weekend. The first three quarters of the game in Dallas and the end of the game in Chicago.

The Eagles are dangerous as hell with Foles under center, but the Saints are now well-rested, and the few nagging injuries that persist will be no excuse if things don't go their way. There are never any guarantees at this time of the year, but i feel confident in my guys playing at home next week.

The Chargers haven't beaten the Patriots in the postseason since the 1964 AFL championship game. The Chargers haven't beaten the Pats at all since 2008. I haven't seen much of the Chargers this year, but what i did see was impressive. On the other hand, the Patriots, though a bit diminished, are still the Patriots. Seems like this game could be a toss-up. I'll pick the Pats.

I also think the Chiefs and Colts game is difficult to handicap. The Chiefs have been the best team in the AFC pretty much all season, Patrick Mahomes is probably the MVP, and they have home field and an extra week of rest. On the other hand, the Colts are on a TEAR and in a situation like this i usually tend to take the hotter team over the higher seed. I'll stick to that here, i think the Colts have enough weapons to sneak out of Kansas City with a win.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 pm

The guys in stripes. After three quarters there had been five penalties against the Cowboys, one against the Seahawks, bam, four penalties in a couple of clock minutes either side of the Clark redzone INT even matters. Walt Garrison's crew were happy just to "let the boys play", even missing a blatant facemask when Wilson was sacked in the 1st Quarter, until the Seahawks took a 14-10 lead. At that point they swung the outcome.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 2:57 pm

The 'Boys biggest advantage is their Defense.

Personally, I thought the "Defensive" win against the Saints was a fluke. But, with Saturday's win, I've come to realize just how good this "D" is.

davidalan wrote:
...speaking of the Eagles, methinks the Cowboys should hope for an Eagles win against the Bears. Otherwise the Cowboys face the Saints in New Orleans...
Don't forget BA, we beat the Saints like a rented mule in week 13 . 13-10! Our "D" was all over the Saints Offense.

But, to answer your question, I was pulling for the Eagles for that exact reason.
And, if we can beat the Rams, and Philly beats the Saints. That means, the NFC-Championship game will be at "Jerry's World"!  yay

davidalan wrote:
...meanwhile in the world of wackiness, there was a certain series of is it a rolling in the endzone touchdown or isn't it even a catch at all or is it a fumble and an opposing touchdown or is the player down by contact during the Chargers and Ravens game...
And don't forget about  the play where there was a contested reception, that was ruled a catch and a fumble, but because no one recovered the ball except the Ref., it was then (by rule) not a catch. WTF!  dunno

I wonder if Hodge will go to the Coliseum to see his favorite team play his local team. I believe that Dallas right now is a team that has the potential to beat any team in the league, though next week's game in L.A., the odds against them will be long. If the Cowboys' defense steps up yet again, they'll be in this game at least; it should be fun to watch...
HRD, I've gotten permission to sell any and everything to get enough $ to go to the game next Saturday.
So yes, somehow I'll be at that game.
How 'bout them Cowboys! eee eee eee
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Hodge, i've been trying to tell you about that Cowboy defense for months now, it's good to see you give them the credit they deserve.

And you definitely got bragging rights for that week 13 win, that was no gimme. But keep in mind that it's DIFFICULT to beat the same team twice in one season in that man's league, which is one reason i haven't been talking up how the Saints beat the Rams earlier this year. I'd rather we face Dallas again, and that possibility is still a playoff win away.

________

Is it just me, or does it seem like the Pats fans have gotten real quiet lately?
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Hodge, i've been trying to tell you about that Cowboy defense for months now, it's good to see you give them the credit they deserve...
HRD, I'm such a pessimist when it comes to the 'Boys, I'm afraid to give them credit for anything.

...And you definitely got bragging rights for that week 13 win, that was no gimme. But keep in mind that it's DIFFICULT to beat the same team twice in one season in that man's league, which is one reason i haven't been talking up how the Saints beat the Rams earlier this year. I'd rather we face Dallas again, and that possibility is still a playoff win away...
I've got your Saints beating the Eagles in the Divisional round, and playing the Rams for a trip to the Super Bowl. That's right, I'm picking against Dallas Saturday.

Oh, and I got tickets, but almost got taken by an online scam-artist. Decided to pay-the-Piper and get the tickets from a reputable ticket-agent. Yeah they cost me an arm and a leg, or should I say, Peggy Sawyer's kidney, but she can live with one.

________

...Is it just me, or does it seem like the Pats fans have gotten real quiet lately?
No, you're not alone.

But granted, we've only got Peggy and Soup at this new location. Plus, they'll be the first to admit, TB-12 hasn't been his "G.O.A.T." like-self this season.
Back to top Go down
Peggy Sawyer

Peggy Sawyer

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm

Map was here briefly; maybe another trip to the SB will bring him back.

I tried to sell my other kidney to get tickets to the Pats game, but it wasn't worth a down payment! Ah, for the days when I had a well-connected relative (retired now) who could ALWAYS get in.

No, not a GOAT year for the GOAT, but that kinda maybe could be good? The Pats used to be so good at using the underdog card for motivation, until they stopped ever being underdogs again. (And I know we're something like 3-point favorites this week, but up here, that makes us an underdog.)

Anyway, super tough game for us on Sunday. Rooting for the Colts to beat KC in case we do advance.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 pm

If i didn't make it clear someplace else yet, i've picked the following:

Colts over Chiefs, in heart category by a lot, in head category only very thinly. As of this post, Ouch. The Chiefs will host the AFC Championship game in Kansas City for the first time in franchise history this year.

Dallas over Rams, in heart category by a light-year; Rams over Dallas in head category though i expect a reasonably good game not a total blowout.

Patriots over Chargers in the head category, though not by much. Pretty much a toss-up in my heart.

Saints over Eagles in my heart by all of it. Also Saints over Eagles in my head, and i actually hope for a solid blowout. I'm well aware that this Eagles team, with Foles under center, have the potential to beat any given team on any given regulation field. I just don't think it happens for them this week. Like Hodge, i tend to be superstitious against picking my team, but i can't help but admit that i feel pretty confident in this matchup.
Back to top Go down
Peggy Sawyer

Peggy Sawyer

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 9:40 am

Well, very happy NE is moving on to 8th-straight AFC title game; I like close games, but a blowout was welcome this time around. Looked like vintage Pats in all phases, with the best performances coming from BB, Josh and the other coaches...a stellar game plan. We'll be underdogs at KC next week, and I'm fine with that.

Thought Foles was going to pull one out against NO, but not to be. Congrats on advancing, Mo and Saints fans all.

Sorry for your season's end, Hodge. Should Garrett go?

Seeds one and two for both championship games next Sunday. Real toughies both, featuring legends (Brady, Brees) vs phenoms (Mahomes, Goff). Should be exciting...hope the legends win and meet in the SB.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 7:53 pm

The Eagles definitely caught the Saints napping early in that game. I actually got a little nervous that maybe the Saints really did get too much rest. But the Saints advance to their third conference championship game, all since 2006. It's their 2nd time hosting, the other time being 2009.

The Saints and Rams have some history. Before the big realignment, they'd been in the NFC West together with Atlanta and the 49ers. There were a couple years there where the Rams kept the Saints out of the playoff with week 16 games. The Saints's first playoff win was in 2000, and they beat the Rams. That's the only time they've ever played each other in the postseason.

The Saints showed they have what they need to beat this Rams team earlier this year, winning a critical game in LA. This time the game's in NO. I have no idea what's going to happen, but i don't intend to miss a snap.

Kansas City is favored by three points, a half-point less than home field. Anything can happen. I hope not to miss a snap.

[quote=Peggy Sawyer]Seeds one and two for both championship games next Sunday. Real toughies both, featuring legends (Brady, Brees) vs phenoms (Mahomes, Goff). Should be exciting...hope the legends win and meet in the SB.[/quote]
I totally agree!!! You posted something i totally agree with!

I was also sorry to see the Cowboys's season come to an end. I'd really been hoping it could end in New Orleans. I'd have felt at least a little confident in that match-up. Personally, i don't think Garrett should go.
Back to top Go down
Peggy Sawyer

Peggy Sawyer

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 8:09 pm

I totally agree!!! You posted something i totally agree with!

There's a first time for everything, lol.

I personally have never had confidence in Garrett and think the Cowboys will stay stuck in place until they move forward.

Brady vs Brees is too cool to resist, and I'm hoping to see it before the baton is passed, but whoa, that's going to be a brutal, frigid game for the Pats in KC. Hopefully the crowd will be shivering too much to break the decibel record. I honestly think NO can take out LA, more easily than it did the Eagles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL 2018   NFL 2018 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

NFL 2018
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next