AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Better Call Saul

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrBill60

PostSubject: Better Call Saul   Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:47 pm

Season 3 just dropped on Netflix and I'm re-watching the season. There is no firm premiere date for Season 4 yet, but it will hopefully be before June.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 pm

good show!
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:16 am

It's good, but i haven't been able to get invested in it. I've tried watching s1 a few times now, and i enjoy it, but it feels like something's missing, and i inevitably wind up drifting off or wandering away, at least mentally.

I keep meaning to give it yet another chance. One of these days.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:54 pm

Mo, BCS seemed to sort of shift, and improve, as it found its footing. The first few episodes felt too much like Odenkirk’s Mr. Show stuff for my taste, but then it got more BB-ish. Once the Kettlemans become less important and Jimmy’s relationship with Mike and also Nacho get more interesting (as does Nacho himself) the show improves a lot. The Mike material in particular gets really good in the later seasons.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:42 pm

the Mike character makes it for me, such an interesting character. Saul I like, but when they crank up the comedy, I'm the same it starts losing me. I like it better when Saul is in strife or unhappy.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Walter White kept saying that he did what he did for his family until he finally reveals to Skyler that he did it for himself, it made him feel alive and he was good at it.
Jimmy/Saul on the other hand has already broken bad at a relative young age but is doing his best to move toward legitimacy, working his butt off getting a law degree and it's mainly because of wanting acceptance from his brother and later his close friend,  Kim Wexler.  It's fascinating to watch his internal struggle of his wanting to run cons,  take shortcuts and make easy money that comes so naturally, and it's primarily his feelings for Kim who keeps him in check as he tries to do the right thing, but he still skirts and sometimes crosses the line when he feels it's necessary. Unlike Walt, he checks himself for family and friends, but if those relationships break down for any reason, his true nature is likely to emerge unchecked.  It's a really fantastic character study even though we know which of those forces ultimately wins and where he ends up.  

The story takes place several years before we hit the Breaking Bad timeline, however Saul's current situation is also shown and I believe we'll have more episodes that will focus on his present circumstance and the eventual outcome beyond the Breaking Bad events.  

Mike's journey is also fascinating.  His backstory and motivations are thoroughly explored and it really picks up about midway through the first season.   There are also younger versions of characters from the Breaking Bad universe and following their journeys are fascinating as well.

Everything from the cinematography, music, editing, and acting is on par with Breaking Bad.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:01 pm

:2thumbsup: Well said, Mr. Bill.

I'm hoping that the most recent of the Cinnabon segments (when "Gene" can't help himself from giving legal advice to the kid he'd just helped the mall cops catch) means that he'll have an interesting struggle for some kind of redemption. But right now, I want to see how Jimmy reacts to that fire!
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:03 pm

@Pi-O-My wrote:
:2thumbsup:  Well said, Mr. Bill.

I'm hoping that the most recent of the Cinnabon segments (when "Gene" can't help himself from giving legal advice to the kid he'd just helped the mall cops catch) means that he'll have an interesting struggle  for some  kind of redemption. But right now, I want to see how Jimmy reacts to that fire!

I hope Jimmy doesn't feel too guilty, he tried to reconcile with Chuck just before the fire and Chuck just threw it in is face. I wasn't sure what the fire was really about, was Chuck trying to knock the lantern off and commit suicide or was he having some sort of disassociated repetitive convulsions due to his mental state?
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Mr. Bill, this is just my opinion (reinforced somewhat by some commentary by Michael McKean) but I think Chuck wanted to kill himself in a passive way. Not do it in a definitive act but in a way that would create a fatal accident. When he told Jimmy that he (Jimmy) didn't matter very much to him (Chuck) I don't think he was being honest but I don't think his kicking at the lantern was in response to how horrible he'd been to his brother. I do think that his basically cutting ties with his only living relative was instrumental in causing the anxiety that I think is responsible for his "allergy" and I think he couldn't take living like that any more. Also, keep in mind that he'd been taking pills - the doctor had him on three different meds, so I don't have any idea what he was taking.

Just want to add how brilliant it was to have the episode begin with Chuck reading from a "Mable" book to Jimmy by lantern light. The flashback ends with the camera moving in on that lantern.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Pi-O-My, Nice catch on the lantern, I didn't make the connection. I couldn't believe McKean wasn't nominated for an Emmy although I think he's up for a Saturn Award.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Better Call Saul   

Back to top Go down

Better Call Saul
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
AFTER LOST :: TV and Movies :: TV-