AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inDallas Cowboys - Page 4 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyDallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyDallas Cowboys - Page 4 Empty 
gin (20877)
Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyDallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyDallas Cowboys - Page 4 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14879)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6907)

Dallas Cowboys

Go down 
+3
Zaphod
davidalan
Hodgepodge
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 pm

He had some pretty bright moments in the sun, but you could be right. I have a hard time picturing him working a lesser role anywhere, too.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm

His Royal Dorkness wrote:
He had some pretty bright moments in the sun, but you could be right. I have a hard time picturing him working a lesser role anywhere, too.
Yeah, you can't sneeze at two Super Bowl rings. yay
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm

He had a very impressive first stint in Jacksonville, too. They were a 4-12 expansion team in '95 who went to the Conference finals as a 9-7 wild card in their second season, then in 97 and 98 they posted back-to-back 11-5 seasons but only won one playoff game, and in 99 they went 14-2 and again to the conference finals, where they lost to the first (and to date the only non-Saints) 13-3 team to have to play on Wild Card weekend, the Titans. Jeff Fisher and Steve McNair's 1999 Titans had handed Coughlin and Brunell's 1999 Jaguars their only two losses of the regular season, but had lost 3 games to other teams (49ers Dolphins & Ravens, i had to look that up), and are to date the only 13-3 Wild Card team in NFL history.

I remember during pre-game, all the commentators were picking the Jags. The first contest between the teams that year had been decided by one point, but the rematch had been a blowout. All the stuffed shirts said no way Tennessee could triumph over the Jags for a third time in the same season, especially not when the Jags had been otherwise unbeaten that season. The commentators were wrong, of course. Fisher had Coughlin's number, or maybe they were stealing signs, IDK, but it was even bigger blowout, 41-10 or something similar. Not that it hardly mattered, though, because meanwhile, back on the ranch in the NFC, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk (who was Beasting Modes before Beast Mode was a thing) and the Rams were putting on The Greatest Show On Turf.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 1:13 pm

...Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk (who was Beasting Modes before Beast Mode was a thing) and the Rams were putting on The Greatest Show On Turf.
Isn't it something! A QB can go undrafted. Regulated to Arena Football and working at a Costco type store. Get a chance in the NFL because of injury, and go on to win a Super Bowl and be inducted into the HOF. You can't make this stuff up.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 4:53 am

Don't get me started on Jeff Fissure. The guy's MO was to keep his job by prioritizing conference games. Taking the Titans to the Super Bowl got him a lot of cachet in Tennessee, but then the league did the whole division shift thing, suddenly he has to face the Colts and Peyton Manning twice each season. Not going to work so well.

He was DC under Buddy Ryan in Philly and then replaced him at that position in Houston after Buddy had gotten into an sideline altercation on the final day of the previous season with OC Kevin Gilbride. When Jack Pardee was fired just after the mid-point of the season Fisher was offered the HC job on an interim basis. He took it and it was made permanent at the end of the season.

Most famously, his biggest failing was that he couldn't properly handle quarterbacks. The Oilers/Titans franchise has had precisely one really good QB since Warren Moon walked away, that was Steve McNair, rest in peace, dude. After trading McNair to Philly, who need a replacement for Donovan McNabb, because they thought Vince Young would be then NEXT BIG THING, then he completely mishandled Young. He brought in Kerry Collins to be the cliche veteran back up and wound up leaning on Collins in 2008 to a division title with Young fuming on the sidelines. Most of the team's success that season can be attributed to the stout defense, led by a front line which included Albert Hanesworth and "The Mutant" Jevon Kearse, a career year running the ball by LenDale White behind a line anchored by C Kevin Mawae. But it was Collins who went to the Pro Bowl. Not many QBs can make the play offs with three different teams. They lost in the Divisional Round to the Ravens. That would be the last time he ever posted a winning record as a head coach.

He's had six seasons with winning records, three of which were 13-win seasons, one 12, one 11, and one 10. He's had five more seasons where his teams finished 8-8. And nine full seasons of failing to reach .500, plus going 1.5 in his initial partial season in Houston and 4-9 before neing fired in the Rams first season back in L.A. Adds up to a 172-165-1 coaching record, tied for the most losses by a head coach in NFL history. For the record, Dan Reeves won 190 games.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2020 3:20 am

Jeff Fisher had one hell of a mustache though.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am

And just for comparisons, a few others, regular season totals only:

Bill Belichick 273 - 126
Tom Landry 250 - 162 - 6
Don Shula 328 - 156 - 6
Chuck Noll 193 - 148 - 1
Chuck Knox 186 - 147
Curly Lambeau 226 - 132 - 22
Vince Lombardi, just throwing out for thoroughness because he was only head coach for 10 seasons before his death from cancer at age 57, 96 - 34 - 6
George Halas 324 - 151 - 31
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 7:53 pm

TBC wrote:
...Most famously, his biggest failing was that he couldn't properly handle quarterbacks. The Oilers/Titans franchise has had precisely one really good QB since Warren Moon walked away, that was Steve McNair, rest in peace, dude. After trading McNair to Philly, who need a replacement for Donovan McNabb, because they thought Vince Young would be then NEXT BIG THING, then he completely mishandled Young. He brought in Kerry Collins to be the cliche veteran back up and wound up leaning on Collins in 2008 to a division title with Young fuming on the sidelines. Most of the team's success that season can be attributed to the stout defense, led by a front line which included Albert Hanesworth and "The Mutant" Jevon Kearse, a career year running the ball by LenDale White behind a line anchored by C Kevin Mawae. But it was Collins who went to the Pro Bowl. Not many QBs can make the play offs with three different teams. They lost in the Divisional Round to the Ravens. That would be the last time he ever posted a winning record as a head coach...
What made this true for me was the mismanagement of Jared Goff.
I remember saying after his initial season, "What a bust!" Then, Fisher was fired, and they brought in Sean McVay. What a difference a Head Coach makes. lol2
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 12:36 am

One of the things about sports is that a coach's attitude tends to rub off on the players to the point where they emulate the coach. So if the coach is intense and hard nosed, that will show up on the field. If the coach is a douchenozzle then the players will start doing douchenozzle stuff on the field. Fisher is a douchenozzle. Games against the Rams used to be entertaining, for lack of a better term, just to see what sort of douchenozzlery he would be putting his players up to for a division opponent.

Rams punter Johnny Hekker is from the town of Bothel, which sits at the north end of Lake Washington. FYI, that's the "uncool" end of the lake. The Seahawks training facility and HQ, VMAC, is at the south end in Renton. All the cool stuff is at the south end. And I am not just saying this because I lived in Renton for several years. So, every time the Rams come to town Hekker has a ton of family and friends in the Comp seats at the CLink.

One game, I think it was about the second year of Fisher's tenure, Hekker was punting, Bruce Irvin rushed from the end spot and turned away as soon as the ball was away. Don't know what Hekker was thinking except maybe that Irvin would retaliate, he hit Irvin in the middle of the back full on with his shoulder, knocked him to the field turf. Irvin just looked at the ref, spread his arms as if to say "I wasn't doing anything and he just blindsided me." Out came the magical yellow hankie, 15 yards, personal foul, TYVM.

The very next Rams' possession also resulted in a punt. This time Irvin was also blocked out, but instead of turning to watch the ball he stopped about two feet from Hekker, made eye contact, and then flinched. Hekker went down like he had been cold-conked.

yay lol4 55 lol cool

At this point the Ref came over and told them both to grow the eff up.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 am

Steve McNair, Vince Young, Kerry Collins, and Jared Goff.

That right there is a hell of a lot of talent to fuck up.

I grow a pretty nice mustache myself, y'know.

________

Pardonez moi Francais; when in Rome...

TBC, looking at that list of HC win/loss records, it really jumped out at me that the only one on the list who coached in the contemporary era is not only on top of the list, but still active.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 6:32 am

Belichick is never going to catch Shula or Halas for most wins.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 8:33 am

If you added in postseason he'd be a bit closer.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2020 7:53 pm

If they had a post-season to mention in the first quarter of a century of the league Bill would still be looking up at Papa Bear in that category as well.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 30, 2020 2:03 pm

The Dallas Cowboys have had a complete overhaul of their coaching staff. The only coaches to be retained are, Kellen Moore, keeps his former position of Offensive Coordinator. While Leon Lett, former Cowboys player will also remain as an Assistant DL coach.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2020 9:15 pm

There's a vicious rumor out there, that the Cowboys are willing to place the franchise tag on Dak Prescott.
I thought they were a lot closer to a contract than this.
If they do, I hope Dak goes to Cabo and refuses to sign it. What are the 'Boys going to do? They've got a new regime coming in, you've got to have your "Franchise" QB in the building.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 4:36 pm

While attending the Combine, Jerry Jones has indicated they'll use the "Exclusive" tag on Dak.
Initially I thought he should forego coming in during OTAs and mini camp. He'd draw a line and possibly get his deal done. Now, learning the "Exclusive" tag pays a player the average of the top 5 salaries. This would pay Dak around $33Mil for the one-year. Just damn! 32
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 7:06 pm

That sounds like a deal he'd find difficult to decline, and it would buy a lot of time for a genuine extension deal to get done.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 4:14 pm

That sounds like a deal he'd find difficult to decline, and it would buy a lot of time for a genuine extension deal to get done.
Pretty sure I couldn't walk away from that kind of $.

The problem...if the "new"CBA eliminates a Teams two tags for one, that would mean Amari Cooper would walk. Now, using the "Exclusive" tag on Dak would still leave Jerry with the "Non-exclusive" tag for Cooper. scrd

I think everyone and I mean everyone, is waiting for the vote on this "new" CBA. That includes TB12. Oh Peggy!
Back to top Go down
Peggy Sawyer

Peggy Sawyer

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 1:08 am

Uncertainty never helps when you're trying to negotiate terms with players, so it's a road block, to be sure. Still, the Patriots could get TB12 back very easily by simply saying "3 years, $25m, and (insert major receiver here)." Brady would sign. I think it's our dear Bill B who's the problem; his ego prevents him from having the kind of open, collaborative, dare-I-say-equal discussion with Brady that Brady would like in order to feel fully involved in the winning process. It's something the elder Manning had toward the end of his career, and the Pats would be wise to heed Brady's input; he knows what he needs to be successful at this point. But there's always a gulf between BB and the players, probably by design. It may make for a disciplined team, but it can also impede communication--something BB could benefit from, as he can make questionable decisions on personnel. A lot will come down to Kraft's level of involvement, and whether there is a QB that could jump into TB's shoes without requiring major coaching and a transition period (Brady's familiarity with the offense is still attractive to BB). Unless the 49ers really want to swap Jimmy G back to NE, I don't think there's a QB available that fits this system well enough. And I think the Titans are a more attractive team to Brady. So...the game of speculation continues.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 11:10 am

Please....take Jimmy G-String. Just because I want to hear the mental gymnastics from the Niners guys in the Trash Talk page.

And there are probably half a dozen guys currently holding clipboards...wait, everyone has gone to tablets now...on the sidelines on Sundays who could fit in well with Bellichick's system. If the Titans decide to go all in on Tannehill then Mariota could do it. Not as well as Brady at first. That would take a couple of years to get where Brady was at after a couple of years and I don't think Bellichick is going to be coaching for very much longer. But also I think Jimmy is to "polluted" by Shanny's Rube Goldberg system to be able to go back to Bellichick's that easily. He'd have to unlearn a lot of things.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 pm

Peggy Sawyer wrote:
...Still, the Patriots could get TB12 back very easily by simply saying "3 years, $25m, and (insert major receiver here)." Brady would sign. I think it's our dear Bill B who's the problem; his ego prevents him from having the kind of open, collaborative, dare-I-say-equal discussion with Brady that Brady would like in order to feel fully involved in the winning process...
You maybe right Peggy, but I don't think it has anything to do with $. He's always taken less than his worth for the betterment of the team.
I do find some credence in your notion that this comes down to TB12 and Bill B's egos.

I heard, if Tom leaves, it would be because he wants to prove to the world that those 6 rings has more to do with him than the "system".
And in turn, Bill B wants everyone to realize he's the mastermind everyone thought he was.

Peggy Sawyer wrote:
...A lot will come down to Kraft's level of involvement, and whether there is a QB that could jump into TB's shoes without requiring major coaching and a transition period (Brady's familiarity with the offense is still attractive to BB). Unless the 49ers really want to swap Jimmy G back to NE...
This is the only way I see TB12 going to the 49ers. A trade, whereby "Jimmy G" goes back home to roost.

TBC wrote:
...And there are probably half a dozen guys currently holding clipboards...wait, everyone has gone to tablets now...on the sidelines on Sundays who could fit in well with Bellichick's system...
I've heard the name Andy Dalton being a good fit in NE.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 7:03 pm

The only quote i've seen or heard from Brady so far is, "I'm not going anywhere." To me, that signals that he'll sign for less money and wants to finish his career with the Pats.

And i think TBC's comment about clipboards tablets is dead-on, too. I recall pundits criticizing the offensive play-calling as being "not challenging enough for Drew Bledsoe" and whining that a mobile QB with a big arm was being used as a offense manager type QB. Now with that said, over the years the Pats have exploited every corner of Tom Brady's physical abilities in one way or another and/or at one time or another, and Belichick and Brady both have deservingly punched their tickets for Canton. In MY opinion, Belichick is clearly the GOAT, and while Brady's stats far outpunch his physical abilities, he's done enough to be clearly one of the best of his era.

So why would they NOT want to continue to play together? Kobe/Shaq syndrome? Seriously? These two are supposed to be better than that, and frankly they're both a LOT older than Kobe and Shaq were when they split. I think Brady would be crazy to have to want to prove himself at this point in his career. Belichick is 67 years old himself, so while he might stand something of a chance to establish a third dynasty, and his first Brady-free dynasty, it might be something of a long shot considering where the franchise is currently at, peronnell wise. Micromanaging to the extent that he does takes an immense amount of time and commitment, does there not come a point where he realizes he wants to spend more time with his family?
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 6:28 pm

The only quote i've seen or heard from Brady so far is, "I'm not going anywhere...."
That quote was from Julian Edelmann. And Brady's reply was, "he doesn't know anything!"
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 4:41 pm

Can't believe the 'Boys and Dak couldn't get together on a long term contract.
Having to use the "Exclusive" tag forces the team to allow Amari Cooper to test FA.
Coming to grip with what happen with Dak, I don't expect Amari to stick around.
And, taking the above a little further...with the loss of Cooper, I don't expect Dak to make his presence felt before the pre-season.

IMO, all of this boils down to Jerry trying to get Dak to play under a mediocre salary.
This guy has played 4-years under a 4th-round pay-grade. He's never missed a start, and has taken the Cowboys to two Division titles, and two playoff wins.
What does Jerry want him to do?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 5:52 pm

And after the super-flashy contract 'Zeke got, too. It doesn't look good, Hodge. I guess in today's terms i should say, it's bad optics.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 1:03 pm

And after the super-flashy contract 'Zeke got, too. It doesn't look good, Hodge. I guess in today's terms i should say, it's bad optics.
You know HRD, I kind'a hope Dak holds out before signing the tender.
You got a knew HC wanting to install his offense, but his QB won't be around to learn it.

I'm glad Zeke got paid, but I can't understand why when he had two years left on his rookie contract. Jerry panics, makes him the highest paid RB, and now you don't have anyone to hand the ball off. You want to talk about optics. facepalm

They did get a deal done with Amari Cooper. Cooper and the Cowboys have agreed on a five-year, $100 million deal that includes $60 million guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dallas Cowboys   Dallas Cowboys - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dallas Cowboys
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4