AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in2019-2020 Season! TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
2019-2020 Season! Empty2019-2020 Season! Empty2019-2020 Season! Empty 
gin (20877)
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6907)

2019-2020 Season!

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Oct 25, 2019 7:45 pm

After several years of comparative stability, the NBA has seen an off-season that has changed the face of the Association as a whole, with dramatic changes to the rosters of nearly every franchise, or at the very least nearly every competitive franchise.

Most teams have played only one game so far this year. The Clippers and Pistons have played two each, but the other 28 teams have each played one regular season game. Nevertheless there have already been several memorable games: the Clippers beating the Lakers, Milwaukee's big comeback against Houston, the Nuggets beating the 'Blazers, and the Clippers GOING NUTS on the Warriors are a few examples that come to mind already.

The Knicks made a valiant effort against the Spurs, too.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySun Nov 17, 2019 2:29 am

There is a TON to say about everything that's happened so far this season.

However, i just popped in to share a news flash that i think everybody knows is close to both sides of my heart:

The Portland Trailblazers have signed Carmelo Anthony. He has a non-guaranteed contract (at least until January), and i couldn't find exact details anywhere, but he's got to be willing to play anywhere for any money at this point, and i can't see him getting on board with a likely playoff contender like Portland for much more than the veteran minimum, maybe with some incentives.

I sincerely hope that he has been genuinely humbled and that he's able to contribute exactly as where and how he's asked to, and i hope he flourishes. But if he hasn't truly humbled and has some mental fantasy of taking a superstar-type and making the 'Blazers somehow "his team," he will richly deserve failure.

More on this historic season to comre if/when i find time to write. Go Bricks Knicks!
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Nov 22, 2019 5:48 pm

This past Wednesday (November 20, 2019), Kawahi Leonard and Paul George played their first game together this season. The Clippers beat Celtics, 107-104 in OT.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyTue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 pm

The Clippers, much like last year, are trying something new this year. The way they're structuring their backcourt, the customized player packages for different times of the game that also vary based on opponent. It's a very ambitious concept, but if anybody in the League is the right man to organize the whole thing, get the most out of his scouts, and sell the concept to the players, it's Doc Rivers. It's amazing that last year he achieved more with less talent than any other coach, with a novel approach to the game, and this year he's got an essentially brand-new roster, and while there's considerable added star power, there are depth issues and just not much in the way of big men with the talent to be starting at this level, but once again he's getting creative and once again he's selling novel concepts, this time to veteran players. He's incredible.

I also have to give it up to the Lakers. They assembled a much deeper roster than anybody had expected them to be able to, myself definitely included. I think LBJ is playing WAY too many minutes, but i get it. They want to get their first unit used to each other and accustomed to winning together. They can afford to rest LBJ and some of the marquee players down the stretch, and if they can get healthy and hot headed into May 2020 and land a top 4 seed, they'll be in a good place, and if they can stay near the top of the conference even better.

The West has at least 6 teams that could be Championship contenders. Seeing Kristaps and Tim Hardaway Jr propelling Luka Doncic and the Mavs into that group is very frustrating. Speaking of former Knicks and personal bitterness, Carmelo has been hot lately and seems to be channelling some of his old skills again. As long as he keeps his ego in check, Portland could get hot and be a dangerous team come Playoff time. I'm still looking forward to seeing what Zion can do with the New Orleans Ex-Lakers.

It is critically important that i point out a certain fact while i can: the Knicks have a better regular season record than the Warriors right now, 4-13(.235) vs. 3-15(.167)

The East will be interesting as all get-out as the season progresses too. I personally don't think anybody's going to stop Milwaukee this year, but there are plenty of teams who want to give it a chance. I think seeding in the East will ultimately be more important in the East this coming postseason as the bottom seed or two could well be teams that can be swept out, giving the highest seeds a little extra rest.

At this point i really hold out ZERO hope that the Knicks will develop over the course of this season, and after the utter disaster of this last postseason, i just don't know. Maybe the NYC NBA market will become similar to what LA's was like for so long, with one team (Lakers, Nets) being contenders every year and the other (Clippers, Knicks) becoming money-making losers. Of course, for that to happen the Nets will have to start actually contending regularly (which looks likely at this point IMO) AND James Dolan needs to continue this new thing he's been doing over the last few years of not handing out comparatively big paydays to his players.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyThu Dec 12, 2019 7:54 pm

So the Knicks fired David Fizdale. Opinions on the move vary. It's pretty clearly not Fizdale's fault that the Knicks have been a bad team during his tenure with the team, as nobody can make good cheesecake out of sawdust and dog shit, and some voices (Jalen Rose i.e.) are even saying the Knicks are doing Fiz a solid by firing him.

However, as much as i'll be the first to say that no coach could have gotten a winning record out of the talent the Knicks have had, against the recent level of competition in the Association, i also happen to think that the firing was justified. This year's squad just weren't even trying, and it seemed like Fizdale wasn't even trying to get them to try. I understand the level of frustration that he must've been feeling, and the level of frustration that the team has to have been feeling, after getting shut out in Free Agency right after having dealt their best player and arguably second-best specifically to free up cap space for Free Agency. Nonetheless, the head coach can't let personnel problems stop him from doing his job of motivating the players he has and working to get the most out of them possible, or at the very least pushing them to succeed. Fizdale wasn't doing that. Frankly i didn't think he did as well as he could've with the last season's squad either, and IMO his presence might well have had something to do, if only in small measure, with exactly HOW bad the Knicks got shut out in FA.

I'm not saying that the guy can't coach, or even that he couldn't potentially be a championship-calibre coach (though i don't see any rings on his fingers in the future personally, i also wouldn't say it's impossible, not in this Association where so many players have taken on roles far surpassing execution on the hardwood). The relationship had gotten toxic, and this season it was clear from any handful of Knick games one could pick at random that Fizdale was just trying to have fun while tanking for a lottery pick. Again, i can understand why he felt that, but he stopped working on player development, he stopped working on team building, and he stopped trying to innovate. When that happens, it's time to go.

But, Mo, couldn't this just have been about sending a message to the players? NO. Is it a message to the players? YES, but it's more than that.

No coach could take this Knicks team to the playoffs, IMO. Nevertheless there are some talented ballers on the squad who need development and proper encouragement, like taking it to the wire against Indiana the other night. That was the first fun Knicks game i've seen this year. Suddenly the guys weren't still moping about shit from months ago, but instead they were looking to create something to build on, even if it's not much, at least it's movement in a positive direction instead of stagnation in the cellar.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySat Dec 14, 2019 4:20 pm

His Royal Dorkness wrote:
So the Knicks fired David Fizdale. Opinions on the move vary. It's pretty clearly not Fizdale's fault that the Knicks have been a bad team during his tenure with the team, as nobody can make good cheesecake out of sawdust and dog shit, and some voices (Jalen Rose i.e.) are even saying the Knicks are doing Fiz a solid by firing him...

...But, Mo, couldn't this just have been about sending a message to the players? NO. Is it a message to the players? YES, but it's more than that.

No coach could take this Knicks team to the playoffs, IMO. Nevertheless there are some talented ballers on the squad who need development and proper encouragement, like taking it to the wire against Indiana the other night. That was the first fun Knicks game i've seen this year. Suddenly the guys weren't still moping about shit from months ago, but instead they were looking to create something to build on, even if it's not much, at least it's movement in a positive direction instead of stagnation in the cellar.
Once I read TPTB were disappointed in the teams record, I knew Fiz was on the hotseat. I'm not sure what TPTB expected from this team.
Yeah, their 1st-round pick hasn't shown the potential everybody expected, but, and this may sound funny, what did they expect?
You trade away an all-world player (the "Unicorn"), because, I suppose you were afraid of his healing powers.
There's not a lot of seniority left on the team. Yeah, you brought in Morris (not sure which of the twins this is) and Gibson, but did you expect them to take the kid under their wings?

You're definitely right about no coach being able to coach this team to the playoffs, so are TPTB looking for one of those superior coaches from the past? There's a lot of them sitting on the sidelines looking for a job.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 3:42 pm

When Fiz took the job, he set off doing really good things with player development, and with creating a positive atmosphere even though everybody there knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the squad on the hardwood couldn't be a deep competitive threat. He helped guys develop their skill sets, he helped instill the value of teamwork, and he used scouting effectively to show the team how plays can be designed to create and then take advantage of mismatches.

To be fair to Fiz, he had a few really talented young players and some solid veterans to help out with all of that, and the team was expecting to land a great lottery pick and score big in free agency, so they were looking to lay positive foundations so the big draft pick and free agents could have something to build on other than their own talents.

As so often happens with the Knicks, all the wheels fell off.

I can understand trading Porzingas because he really wanted out and he didn't have a lot of time left on his contract. The trade that was made was horrible, though. Giving up Hardaway too was a big mistake and the Knicks got almost nothing in return - out of the three players that came to NY, only Dennis Smith Jr. is on the current roster. Smith has been an acceptable if not remarkable bench PG with modest numbers so far this year. Horrible trade, just utterly unacceptable. Lee and Burke for Smith might have been a fair trade, but they got nothing back nearly worth Hardaway, and they basically just gave Kristaps away.

I think it's important for people to remember that the NBA draft lottery is just what its name says: a lottery. Third overall is the highest first round pick the franchise has had since they picked Pat Ewing. RJ Barrett has looked pretty good so far this year. More on this in a minute.

Then free agency passed the Knicks by like the franchise didn't even exist. Julius Randle has been one of the best players on this team, but clearly he wasn't what the Knicks and the fan base had envisioned before free agency opened up.

So Fizdale felt extremely disappointed, and one could hardly blame him. The problem is that he stopped trying. Granted the Knicks are probably putting less overall talent on the court than i've ever seen before but the show must go on. RJ Barrett, Alonzo Trier, Mitchell Robinson and the other young guys like Kevin Knox all deserve a chance to develop as pro ballers. Julius Randle, Frank Ntilikina, Elfrid Payton, and the other young-ish guys like Bobby Portis all deserve chances to improve their skill sets and teamwork abilities. Taj Gibson and Wayne Ellington deserve a chance to share their experience and help the younger players learns the ins and outs and ups and downs of the NBA lifestyle. Especially the downs, in this case, not to overemphasize how badly the Knicks suck. Fizdale's attitude not only didn't facilitate these things, it actually actively hindered them.

Furthermore, as bad as this Knicks team is, they're not the worst team in the Association. They're among the bottom, but they shouldn't finish this season dead last, and that's where Fiz was leading them. There's no bonuses to be had by having the very worst record overall, only in the bottom 5 (is it 5? idr exactly). The Knicks will finish in the lottery again this year regardless, but they should go down fighting, and Fiz had given up. I don't necessarily blame him for feeling that way, he got hit with a pretty much perfect storm of shit storms, and i hope some other franchise will take a chance on him. The Knicks need a head coach whose focus is on the now and the future though, not how they got screwed last summer.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 4:00 pm

The Knicks had a 4 - 17 record under David Fizdale this year, and have a 3-3 record since Mike Miller took over.

Now, i'm not trying to suggest that the Knicks are or should be a .500 or better club. It's fair to note that two of those 3 wins were against Atlanta and Golden State's JV D-League squad (both of whom were already worse than Fizdale's Knicks), and that the other win was in Sacramento, who are under .500 but currently sitting on the 8 seed in the West. However, i watched the very first game after Miller took over, when the Pacers came to the Garden, and it was a very close contest against a team that is virtually guaranteed a postseason slot. The Knicks lost by one point, and had any number of things gone just a hair differently, the Knicks could have won or could have lost by a little more.

The two Nuggets games offer a great contrast. In MSG, with Fizdale coaching, the Knicks got absolutely dominated on both sides of the court for all four quarters, and lost by 37 points. Just ten days later in Denver, with Miller coaching, the Knicks won the third quarter, kept in close in the 2nd and 3rd, and lost by only 6.

I've watched a handful of Knicks games already this year, and with Fiz at the helm the players weren't getting motivated by their coach because he'd given up and wasn't even trying anymore. Anybody who can inject some positivity is an upgrade. I don't doubt that if the Knicks had landed a good FA or two, Fizdale might have been motivated himself, and had some to share.

Last night, the Knicks dropped 144 points at MSG. All 11 Knicks scored. Third-overall pick RJ Barrett led all scorers (other than Atlanta's Trey Young, who had 42) with 27, and he and Mitchell Robinson both double-doubled. 6 Knicks had double-digit points scored, and Damyean Dotson scored 9., Elfrid Payton had 9 assists, out of 40 for the team. The Knicks out-rebounded Atlanta 55-36. Every player had a rebound except Payton. Every player had an assist except Robinson. Every player had double-digit minutes on the hardwood.

Playing uptempo but still moving the ball around, lots of substitutions to keep the legs fresh, get everybody used to each other, lean on the best players but get everybody involved: that's the kind of BBall this Knicks teams NEEDS to play to be able to have some fun, win at least some games, and create an atmosphere that might lure in some top-tier talent. Even if it doesn't bring in that talent, at least it's putting better entertainment product on the floor and allowing the players to develop at the same time.

I don't know if Mike Miller can be the head coach of the future for this franchise, but there is ZERO doubt in *MY* mind that he's provided an immediate upgrade in Fizdale's wake.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 2:13 pm

The Knicks had a 4 - 17 record under David Fizdale this year, and have a 3-3 record since Mike Miller took over...
HRD, what's this Miller guys resume? I know nothing about him.

...Last night, the Knicks dropped 144 points at MSG. All 11 Knicks scored. Third-overall pick RJ Barrett led all scorers (other than Atlanta's Trey Young, who had 42) with 27, and he and Mitchell Robinson both double-doubled. 6 Knicks had double-digit points scored, and Damyean Dotson scored 9., Elfrid Payton had 9 assists, out of 40 for the team. The Knicks out-rebounded Atlanta 55-36. Every player had a rebound except Payton. Every player had an assist except Robinson. Every player had double-digit minutes on the hardwood...
Got a chance to watch the highlights of this game, and I have to admit, they were a much better looking team. But, lets not forget, they were playing the Hawks.
But I'm with you, anything that makes the team better, I'm all for.

Playing uptempo but still moving the ball around, lots of substitutions to keep the legs fresh, get everybody used to each other, lean on the best players but get everybody involved: that's the kind of BBall this Knicks teams NEEDS to play to be able to have some fun, win at least some games, and create an atmosphere that might lure in some top-tier talent. Even if it doesn't bring in that talent, at least it's putting better entertainment product on the floor and allowing the players to develop at the same time...
Who's the starting five? Who's first off the bench?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Frank Ntikilina has mostly been starting at the point, with RJ Barrett at the two. In the frontcourt, Marcus Morris and Julius Randle have been handling starting forward duties, with Taj Gibson on the post.

As for who's the sixth man, it's been Mitchell Robinson: 22.5 min/gm in 24 appearances; shooting .684 from the floor and .639 from the stripe, with 10.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 0.7 apg, and 1.8 bpg with 0.8 turnovers/gm. ETA: yeah, that .684 from the floor isn't a typo nor a mistake; he hasn't taken a shot from downtown yet this year, he's a post man through-and-through.

Now that Elfrid Payton is fully healthy again, he might start seeing a lot more minutes too. Bobby Portis, Kevin Knox, and Damyean Dotson have each been seeing plenty of playing time off the bench. Wayne Ellington, Dennis Smith, and Allonzo Trier have all seen double-digit minutes in at least a dozen games each too.

________

As for Mike Miller, he took the Texas State Bobcats to the NCAA Big Dance back in '97, and won the NBA G League Coach of the Year Award two seasons ago. Here's a link to his Wiki, the relevant part is a quick read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Miller_(basketball,_born_1964)

There are a lot of guys out there looking for a job, though Head Coach of the Knicks is probably rightly regarded as a bowl of shit job for anybody qualified for it. If Miller continues to do well in the interim role, he might not have as much competition as he would if it were a different franchise.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 6:27 pm

...As for Mike Miller, he took the Texas State Bobcats to the NCAA Big Dance back in '97, and won the NBA G League Coach of the Year Award two seasons ago. Here's a link to his Wiki, the relevant part is a quick read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Miller_(basketball,_born_1964)...
Okay, he's got some G-League experience. yay
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Yeah, pretty much, but when a franchise has the kind of history the Knicks have over the last couple of decades, and especially with everything that's gone down involving head coaches, it's not exactly a position that really attracts all the cream of the crop of qualified candidates.

I'm well aware that it's still NYC, one of, if the very best big market  to come to. But with the Nets just across the Brooklyn Bridge, and having the talent they have, the Knicks are very much in danger of becoming the other New York team, MSG or not.

Probably the Knicks will still get some good candidates, but the situation feels pretty hopeless. I don't know why everything James Dolan touches turns to shit, but since he changed his ways after the Isaiah Thomas debacle, it seems like President Steve Mills and GM Scott Perry need to be held accountable for the shitshow of the last few years, particularly this past offseason. Even Sassy said so.

I personally tend to forget that the Knicks acquired two first-round picks as part of the Porzingis trade, and i'm hardly alone in that.

Hope springs eternal for Knicks fans, and we are a die-hard loyal LARGE fan base. Aside from selling out MSG more often than not, the merchandising money makes sure there's plenty of cash available to pay any coach out there, with a well-paid staff and front office, and cash on hand to pay the luxury tax if the franchise ever again gets to the point where it can attract highly paid players.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyWed Dec 25, 2019 12:40 am

Hodge, do you wish to share any feelings about players who might or might not show up to play against The Clippers on Christmas Day this year?
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Dec 27, 2019 2:19 pm

Hodge, do you wish to share any feelings about players who might or might not show up to play against The Clippers on Christmas Day this year?
HRD, I was truly glad to see everyone making the trip. "Trip" being a strange word, because the Clippers and the Lakers share the same building for the time being.
But, I do have a question.
Remember a few seasons ago, when the Cavs were swept by the Warriors. "King" James came to the post-game interview with a soft-cast on his hand? Supposedly, he'd hit a chalkboard injuring his hand during half-time.
Did you notice how the "King" James camp came to this post-game interview with the notion he'd re-injured his groin?

I didn't give it a second thought after the Warriors/Cavs game from a few years back, but have we started to see a man not willing to give up the crown to a better man?
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Dec 27, 2019 5:10 pm

That's entirely possible, Hodge and it was something i'd worried about. LBJ said all the right things when the Lakers were courting Davis, but he has a history of Diva-ing.

To be fair, i'm not sure Davis really is a "better man" overall, though he's definitely younger and has more total basketball ability than LBJ does at this current time.

Out of curiosity, i checked the Lakers' current depth chart and roster, and LBJ IS listed as day-to-day, but it's listed as a strained groin.

Keep in mind that the Lakers are still going to have to try to get Davis to sign a long-term deal after this season, and that LBJ has tied the rest of his playing career, and therefore a considerable portion of his eventual legacy, to the Lakers, and that he's currently highly motivated to stay humble and "allow" Davis to lead the team in scoring, rebounding, and minutes per game. He's played a game more than Davis has, though, and has more total minutes played, so slight is the mpg advantage.

So far it seems like the Lakers' gambles on Dwight Howard and Rajon Rondo have been paying great dividends. There was a LOT of speculation that between those two and the Top Two (AD and LBJ) there would be far too much ego for any one team or maybe even two teams. But the Lakers have been winning and have been in first place all season. The Clippers may not have the better record on the season, but they've shown that they can match up favorable against the Lakers. I can't help but wonder if things in Lakerland stay all sunshine and roses if the team hits a difficult stretch.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Jan 31, 2020 3:33 pm

The '15-'16 Golden State Warriors went 73-9 in the regular season for a regular season winning percentage of .890. Still the Gold Standard for regular seasons, which is fitting for a team that plays in former Gold Rush Central territory and calls themselves Golden State. This particular Golden State team, however, was the one that LOST the Finals to LBJ's Cleveland Cavaliers.

They had beaten the regular season record of the 1995-'96 Chicago Bulls, which was 72-10, although that Bulls team won the Finals 4-2 over what was probably TBC's team, the Seattle SuperSonics (the franchise currently known as the Oklahoma City Thunder for any young folk reading this).

This year's Milwaukee Bucks team is currently sitting at 41-6, and it is entirely possible (if not likely) that they will lose 3 games or less in what remains of the regular season. Stay tuned!

Oh, and some Knicks news after i sober up, because typing it up now would sober me up now, and i don't want that.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySat Feb 01, 2020 5:00 pm

The '15-'16 Golden State Warriors went 73-9 in the regular season for a regular season winning percentage of .890. Still the Gold Standard for regular seasons, which is fitting for a team that plays in former Gold Rush Central territory and calls themselves Golden State. This particular Golden State team, however, was the one that LOST the Finals to LBJ's Cleveland Cavaliers...
How the mighty have fallen.  Surprised
Now, it's a miracle when the current Warriors win a game. And this just when they move into a new billion dollar stadium.  facepalm

...They had beaten the regular season record of the 1995-'96 Chicago Bulls, which was 72-10, although that Bulls team won the Finals 4-2 over what was probably TBC's team, the Seattle SuperSonics (the franchise currently known as the Oklahoma City Thunder for any young folk reading this)...
My favorite team of all time.  woooo
MJ, along with Pippen, were impossible to beat. Wasn't the current Warriors HC a member of this team?

...This year's Milwaukee Bucks team is currently sitting at 41-6, and it is entirely possible (if not likely) that they will lose 3 games or less in what remains of the regular season. Stay tuned!
Thought it was nice to see Giannis' brother start along side, although the Bucks lost.
Curious to see if there was any damage to Giannis during the game. scrd
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 6:56 pm

Steve Kerr was a bench PG for the Bulls from the 93-94 season through the 98-99 season; he saw less action in the last two of those seasons but played plenty of minutes the first four and was still contributing the whole way through. Dude rode a lot of pine in a long career, but when they put him on the hardwood he could play.

BIG big blockbuster trade deal yesterday. I'm sure you saw it. Do you think it matters at all in terms of how this season plays out? Have any of the teams involved made themselves better enough to get them over the hump?

I don't think so, personally. I think it might even be a big step back for Denver.

In other news, Miami has signed AIJr (Iguodala, your boy) to a three year deal. At 35 years old. He's going to be the Julio Franco of basketball.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Steve Kerr was a bench PG for the Bulls from the 93-94 season through the 98-99 season; he saw less action in the last two of those seasons but played plenty of minutes the first four and was still contributing the whole way through. Dude rode a lot of pine in a long career, but when they put him on the hardwood he could play...
I love the story he told about the shot that won the '97 Championship game.

The guy, like Steph Curry, was a pure shooter.

...BIG big blockbuster trade deal yesterday. I'm sure you saw it. Do you think it matters at all in terms of how this season plays out? Have any of the teams involved made themselves better enough to get them over the hump...
Kind'a looks like my Clippers got a little better during the trade deadline. They picked up the Morris twin that played for your Knicks. That should make it easier when Kawhi or PG13 needs a blow.
Curious to know how you see the trading of Russell from the Warriors for Wiggins. To me, it looks like apples for apples.

Wanted to ask you about the removal of your President of Basketball Operations (Steve Mills)? Do you back Dolan in his off-season antics?

...In other news, Miami has signed AIJr (Iguodala, your boy) to a three year deal. At 35 years old. He's going to be the Julio Franco of basketball.
I think his playoff experience will be a huge help when they start. Plus, the guy still has hops and a shot. Plus, he wasn't going to play for the Grizzles. He'd rather retire and live on his glories. At least they got something out of the initial trade.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 7:00 pm

I wasn't too fond of the Morris trade, but at least he went to a good team. Steve Mills needed to go, especially after the dumpster fire of an off-season the Knicks had this past summer. The big question now is whether or not the new guy gets the leverage he needs inside the Knicks organization. Dolan has brought in good people before. Now he needs to get out of his own way. I hope that Dolan has come to realize that just because Isaiah Thomas didn't bring home hardware, letting a guy like that run the ship isn't the wrong course. There's a lot to like about James Dolan as an owner: he's a genuinely nice guy who wants to win, has deeep pockets, and isn't afraid to spend absurd amounts; however, he has also consistently tripped over his own feet an awful lot, and it's not difficult to understand why most players don't want to work for him and why so many fans want him to sell.

____

Personally i think Wiggins is the better player, but to be honest i haven't seen a ton of either of them.

________

Don't forget that the Grizz didn't want Iggy either. He said the time off was really good for him physically, and i can believe it. The Heat have put together a really good team, i'm starting to suspect that they will likely be facing the Bucks in the ECF this year.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 pm

...Dolan has brought in good people before. Now he needs to get out of his own way. I hope that Dolan has come to realize that just because Isaiah Thomas didn't bring home hardware, letting a guy like that run the ship isn't the wrong course. There's a lot to like about James Dolan as an owner: he's a genuinely nice guy who wants to win, has deeep pockets, and isn't afraid to spend absurd amounts; however, he has also consistently tripped over his own feet an awful lot, and it's not difficult to understand why most players don't want to work for him and why so many fans want him to sell...
How do you feel about the banning of Charles Oakley? I heard a lot of fans are down on him for that.

...Personally i think Wiggins is the better player, but to be honest i haven't seen a ton of either of them...
Man, you're right. I knew who Wiggins was, but couldn't remember the highs and lows of his game. And, I blame TV for that. Although, I guess if the Timberwolves had more wins they'd be on television more.

...Don't forget that the Grizz didn't want Iggy either. He said the time off was really good for him physically, and i can believe it. The Heat have put together a really good team, i'm starting to suspect that they will likely be facing the Bucks in the ECF this year.
I didn't know that. So, all's well that ends well.
You maybe right about them in the playoffs, but I still think the Celtics and/or the 76ers, will play a big role in who comes out of the East.
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyThu Feb 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Oakley > Dolan

But then I am a complete outsider to the Knicks organization and their politics. Maybe I should start a thread on The Lunchpail Crew, make it a semi-official thing.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 6:55 am

Last i heard, Oak was banned from MSG for all of about a week, amd Dolan actually apologized to him, even though Oak was clearly drunk and WAY out of line. Dolan said that he understanded fans' and former players' frustrations and that he was committed to doing a better job as owner blah blah blah. Bottom line, he let Oakley off the hook because he was only saying what a minimum of half a million Knicks fans were wanting to say. As far as i know, Oakley hasn't responded to him (at least not publicly) and has only been to MSG for a few games since then, and those were only when Dolan was out of the country for one reason or another.

TBC, Dolan owns the Knicks, but Oakley owns the hearts of the fans. He's been a season ticket holder since he retired, and while he doesn't sit in the nosebleeds, he also doesn't sit courtside like Spike Lee and certain others; he's not there to be seen being there, he's there to enjoy the games with his fellow fans. He's also a bit cantankerous and doesn't hesitate to let anybody know exactly what's on his mind and how he might feel about you and NYC sports fans absolutely love him. New Yorkers respect forthrightness and despise false civility.

Hodge, TNT and ESPN tend to focus on specific teams at specific times. Over the last five years, i've gotten to see plenty of Golden State but not much of the Suns, for example. MSG covers the Knicks here and YES has the Nets, so when those teams play the less marketable west-coast teams is really the only chance i get to get a good look at those teams and their players.

Also, it was mutually agreed between AI and Memphis that he didn't show up for workouts and that they'd pay him not to play. They wanted to work on developing new players and said they'd try to trade him so they also didn't want to risk him getting injured. They made good on it and even traded him to a potential contender.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Last i heard, Oak was banned from MSG for all of about a week, amd Dolan actually apologized to him, even though Oak was clearly drunk and WAY out of line. Dolan said that he understanded fans' and former players' frustrations and that he was committed to doing a better job as owner blah blah blah. Bottom line, he let Oakley off the hook because he was only saying what a minimum of half a million Knicks fans were wanting to say. As far as i know, Oakley hasn't responded to him (at least not publicly) and has only been to MSG for a few games since then, and those were only when Dolan was out of the country for one reason or another...
So, in your opinion, why are the Knicks so awful?  

...Hodge, TNT and ESPN tend to focus on specific teams at specific times. Over the last five years, i've gotten to see plenty of Golden State but not much of the Suns, for example. MSG  covers the Knicks here and YES has the Nets, so when those teams play the less marketable west-coast teams is really the only chance i get to get a good look at those teams and their players...
You make a great point!
I happen to like the Warriors, so it didn't bother me when they were on TV every night. And now, we're into the "Zion" phenomenon. I know everything there is to know about the kid and he's only played a dozen games.  omg  

...Also, it was mutually agreed between AI and Memphis that he didn't show up for workouts and that they'd pay him not to play. They wanted to work on developing new players and said they'd try to trade him so they also didn't want to risk him getting injured. They made good on it and even traded him to a potential contender.
I've been an AI fan since he joined GSW, and love his defensive prowess.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyMon Feb 17, 2020 12:06 am

Hodgepodge wrote:
So, in your opinion, why are the Knicks so awful?
There's not a fair and accurate answer to that question that's brief enough to be worth reading, much less writing, but i'll try. Ultimately the responsibility, if not necessarily all of the fault, lies with owner James Dolan. He needs to find his own personal Buck Showalter - somebody who can come in and take over and build a team over the course of a few seasons. Dolan is capable of getting out of the way and letting that happen, he did it for Isaiah Thomas. Ultimately,  Thomas failed, and his career crashed and burned, and unfortunately Dolan went back to micro-managing again. He had fingers all over assembling that Amare Stoudamire Carmelo Anthony JR Smith team that had some success, and i think he let their successes go to his head, and i also think he gave himself WAY too much credit for "recruiting" Carmelo. He started getting way way way too involved and the whole thing blew up. The the scattered pieces left blew up including Porzingas' trade demande, and then Mills and GM Scott Perry started talking about how the Knicks WERE GOING TO  sign two future Hall-of-Famer Free Agents to Supermax contracts last summer, as if no player would ever turn down a Supermax in the greatest merchandising city in the NBA. They were incredibly overconfident for very bad reasons and not only didn't hit their mark, they got only two things out of the past Free Agency period: Jack, and Shit, and then Jack went to play in the European Leagues. Since then they have continued to shed their best remaining players.

Mills being gone is a start, and bringing in a popular player agent to replace him could be the right move. Perry needs to be gone before June too, and whoever replaces him needs to be seen working directly with the President of Basketball Operations (guy's name is Leon Rose, btw, a little more on him below) and new HC Mike Miller (or someone better) to create an idea of how they want to work together to improve the franchise. While that's going on, Dolan should leave a book full of signed blank checks and go someplace where Basketball isn't such a big deal - London maybe, or even better Glasgow). He should stay there for the next four years and occasionally tweet that he watched tonight's game and is excited for the future of the franchise. If the Knicks make the playoffs he'll need to show up in person but he should stay in his box. I'm being a bit facetious, yes, but hopefully you understand what i mean. This could be Dolan's last chance with the fan base.

I can't believe i'm saying this again, but here we go: there is still some talent wearing the home colors at MSG this year. Elfrid Payton is averaging 6.9 apg, 1.7 spg, 4.7 rpg, and 9.7 ppg, plus almost half a block pg, while only seeing ~ 27 mpg. He's creative and young and athletic and fun to watch. He's got the handles and the vision to play the 1, the size to play the 3, and with some work he could develop his perimeter shot to be a threat from the wing. Julius Randle and RJ Barrett are still there. I've seen the Knicks play well against some of the best teams in the Association this year, even take leads into the half and even the 4th quarter. But in those 4th quarters, when the opponents' superstars are warmed up and rested and ready to dominate, the Knicks have no answer for that.

I promised a little more on Leon Rose, but i'm getting tired. So: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Rose He used to rep LeBron. He's repped some top-tier talent over the years, i think his only current A-lister is Embiid. I don't think the idea is that he'll bring his own players to the team, necessarily, but more that his experience from the other side of the negotiation table could help bring in some higher-level talent.

Hodgepodge wrote:
...Hodge, TNT and ESPN tend to focus on specific teams at specific times. Over the last five years, i've gotten to see plenty of Golden State but not much of the Suns, for example. MSG  covers the Knicks here and YES has the Nets, so when those teams play the less marketable west-coast teams is really the only chance i get to get a good look at those teams and their players...
You make a great point!
I happen to like the Warriors, so it didn't bother me when they were on TV every night. And now, we're into the "Zion" phenomenon. I know everything there is to know about the kid and he's only played a dozen games.  omg  
I haven't really paid attention, at least not yet. From what little i've seen, he's either the next Shaq or the next Dwight Howard or the next Greg Oden. Reality will more likely land somewhere in the middle. I don't see him as a Shaq-type talent, though it might be fair to say that a Howard-level-talent-with-a-better-attitude could shake things up in the Association. I guess time will tell.

Hodgepodge wrote:
I've been an AI fan since he joined GSW, and love his defensive prowess.
I remember when a young Iguodala played for Philly with Allen Iverson: AI & "the other" AI. They were fun to watch together.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyThu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Did anyone watch the All-Star game last Sunday (2-16-20)?
I heard they introduced a new format (suggested by CP3, Chris Paul) and it was a big hit.
Supposedly, all of the sports pundits have nothing but positive things to say about it.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySat Feb 29, 2020 8:55 pm

I didn't watch this year's All-Star Game. I don't usually, but i've enjoyed it when i have watched in the past. I too heard positive things about this year's spectacle, but they lacked any specificity. What was different about this year's format?

Meanwhile we might have THREE losing teams in this year's playoffs, and they WON'T all be from the East! In the East, Milwaukee has a NINE game lead over TWO teams with winning percentages over .700, and the Bucks have lost only three road games!! In the West, the Lakers have a six game lead over two teams who share the outstanding record of 40-19. By contrast, there are SEVEN teams in the NBA who have won 20 or less games. There's not much mediocrity in this year's Association, in fact there's only one team that's within 5 games of .500 in either direction.
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 4:24 pm

...Meanwhile we might have THREE losing teams in this year's playoffs, and they WON'T all be from the East! In the East, Milwaukee has a NINE game lead over TWO teams with winning percentages over .700, and the Bucks have lost only three road games!! In the West, the Lakers have a six game lead over two teams who share the outstanding record of 40-19. By contrast, there are SEVEN teams in the NBA who have won 20 or less games. There's not much mediocrity in this year's Association, in fact there's only one team that's within 5 games of .500 in either direction.
Well, SASSY thinks the Rockets, playing with their new "small" ball, will end the season as the 2nd seed in the West.
My question...where are the Nuggents and Clippers going? fnger

For some reason, there's a debate on who'll end up with the MVP trophy. "King" James or the "Greek Freak".
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 4:18 pm

HRD, what in the HELL is your owner doing in New York?
He's now gotten his most ardent fan (Spike Lee) to step away from the Garden for the rest of the season.

Last edited by Hodgepodge on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 pm

There's really only one answer to your question that makes any sense: he's decided that he needs EVERYbody to get together in opposition so that he can sell the team with a (semi-)clear conscience.

Unfortunately for NYC basketball fans, James Dolan's actions don't usually make sense.

I feel an odd desire to stick up for Spike Lee here, btw. I recall him referring to the owner as, and i mis-quote from memory here, "Jimmy Dolin' (Out Crazy Money To Players Who Don't Deserve It)."

I'm pretty disgusted myself, i don't blame Spike for opting out of further appearances at MSG this season. I wonder if he's selling the rest of his tickets for the season through one of those online second-hand retailers. If so, one might think that those primo courtside spots would fetch some serious currency, but let's also remember that NYC consumers can be tough customers, and the Knicks are bad enough this year that Spike might take a loss from the retail price, though i gotta think that getting something back in terms of cash is better than whatever entertainment value would be left for him in them.

I don't feel like ranting. All the nice things i ever said about Dolan are still true, but man he's a bigger liability than ever, and every time it seems like he might actually have learned something important about what his role should be, he makes an even bigger mess just a couple weeks later. It's frustrating in a way that i expect is understandable to fans of a team owned by Jerry Jones, but at least Jones's team competes most years!

I feel like he needs his own version of Buck Showalter to come in and build the franchise up, but i also feel like he'd show Showalter the door six months after he hired him. Life as a Knicks fan has offered a lot of bleak moments and this is definitely another one.  wah
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Mar 06, 2020 6:38 pm

There's really only one answer to your question that makes any sense: he's decided that he needs EVERYbody to get together in opposition so that he can sell the team with a (semi-)clear conscience...
Have you heard what Charles Oakley wants to happen?

He wants Silver to go to the other owners and force Dolan to sell the team. Just like what happened with Don Sterling and the Clippers.

Now, I don't think this would be fair, the situations are different, but I've heard fans side with Oakley.

Onto another subject...My Clippers are dominating the League. Last night they beat the Rockets like a drum, and took their "small ball".
This is their 6th straight win in dominating fashion.

I'm hoping I get a chance to watch Bucks vs. Lakers II tonight. The two players vying for the seasons MVP trophy should put on a show.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySat Mar 07, 2020 11:02 am

Frankly i don't think what happened to Sterling was fair, though it was understandable. And sure the fans side with Oakley, at this point the devil we know is about as bad as it gets as far as putting a competitive product on the hardwood.

But at least Dolan tries to put a competitive team together. He's consistently prioritized wins over profit and has never been afraid to pull the trigger on a player deal over money; no coach ever said that they were frustrated that they couldn't pay their assistants a competitive wage (even though they're in NYC so an extra 30% is built in).

At this point there is genuine concern that the Knicks can never be competitive again with Dolan in the owner's box. No marquee coach nor player wants to be there, and nobody can blame them. So i understand where Oak and the fans are coming from, and part of me is pulling for them. I gotta say be careful of that devil you don't know, though. We wouldn't want an ownership group that'd prioritize profits; the Clippers and Warriors might both have been competitive teams recently, but there was a two-decade stretch where neither team got within rock-throwing range of the playoffs but they made money every year. Knicks fans wouldn't be too happy if the Nets became the big brother in the NBA the way the Yankees and Giants are in their respective leagues, but even that isn't a fair comparison to the Lakers-Clippers relationship back in the 80s and 90s, which is what could happen if Dolan is forced to sell.

I think if the fans want him to sell, then they should pressure him, they shouldn't pressure Association leadership and the other owners. I don't see the other owners being at all motivated to help anyway, but if they are, it'll be because they have somebody profit-minded in mind to take the reins. If Oak and a significant percentage of the fan base stop buying merch, stop going to the Garden, stop watching the games, and stop patronizing the sponsors - shit can change. That's a message that might break Dolan's heart, but if Dolan's the one in charge of finding new ownership, we (as Knicks fans) stand a better chance of having our beloved team handed over to ownership that's motivated to win rather than to earn.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySun Mar 08, 2020 1:14 am

The Clippers definitely have a fine stretch going with 6 wins in a row, although i personally wouldn't call a 6 point win over a 76ers squad without Joel Embiid, "dominating fashion"

They'll "host" the Lakers this afternoon (it's morning on this coast already), and the Lakers have a 3 game win streak themselves. So far this season the Clippers have stepped up and won each meeting between these teams, and iirc this is the last they'll see each other this regular season. Will the Clippers sweep the season series or will the Lakers steal one "on the road?"
Back to top Go down
Hodgepodge

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Frankly i don't think what happened to Sterling was fair, though it was understandable. And sure the fans side with Oakley, at this point the devil we know is about as bad as it gets as far as putting a competitive product on the hardwood.

But at least Dolan tries to put a competitive team together. He's consistently prioritized wins over profit and has never been afraid to pull the trigger on a player deal over money; no coach ever said that they were frustrated that they couldn't pay their assistants a competitive wage (even though they're in NYC so an extra 30% is built in)...
You're definitely right about Sterling.
He did everything to keep every $ in his pocket instead of trying to field a winning team. I honestly think this was the reason they got rid of him. Yeah, they were motivated by what transpired publicly, but he was such a cheap bastard, they used the public ire to force him to sell.

There are guys out there like Ballmer who has $ to burn. Like you mentioned, if the fans stop coming to MSG, and stop patronizing the teams sponsorship, they can get him to sell.  

...They'll "host" the Lakers this afternoon (it's morning on this coast already), and the Lakers have a 3 game win streak themselves. So far this season the Clippers have stepped up and won each meeting between these teams, and iirc this is the last they'll see each other this regular season. Will the Clippers sweep the season series or will the Lakers steal one "on the road?"
Not sure what happened Sunday, but my Clippers got biatched-slapped by the Lakers and specifically, "King" James. They still hold the lead in the head-to-head, with 1 more game to play.

Speaking of Madison Square Gardens (MSG Co.)...Has anyone heard Steve Ballmer is in talks to buy the Inglewood Forum from MSG Co. He's trying to move the Clippers as far away from the Lakers as possible.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 pm

After Covid's done I see the NBA (more than the NCAA) either resuming its season in some way or just jumping straight into the playoffs. The end of the season is 4/15. That would be the time of the 30 day assessment. Let's say things clear up. Why even play regular games? What do you think? I myself wonder if 30 days won't extend to 60.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 6:13 am

The NBA doesn't actually have a lot of space in the schedule, much like the NFL. They really need the Finals to be over by the end of June to have the bare minimum of time needed for between-season activities before the regular season starts again. If they cut a couple days from free agency, a day from OTA's, etc, maybe they could free up a week. The owners will want as few games cut as possible as every game's take at the gate is significant revenue, and once their piece of the merch and concession action is considered, canceled games cost a lot of money. Most of the player payrolls are all guaranteed money, too, so the only players really hurt by it are the ones who're already at the bottom of the pay scale.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 2:27 pm

Based on what you're saying then the NBA will or should jump right into the Finals and keep current records and rankings done and done.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 9:27 pm

I can't even right now
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 10:36 pm

sorry. i must have misread what you were saying. that happens with me sometimes. i probably read key words and then drew my own conclusion. dyslexia sequentia.

as for my own interpretation of myself! i think they'll jump right into the playoffs. the basketball season is stupidly long anyway.

bball1  bball1  bball1  bball1  bball1  bball1  bball1  bball1
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyFri Mar 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Oh, you're probably right, and i don't think you misread me. I'm just very upset about it is all.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Okay, i've calmed down a bit. If i'm properly interpreting the smoke signals coming from the NBA, the plan now is that they're hoping to resume play in about a month; they won't shorten the regular season; best-of-5 format for the first round of this year's playoffs, and The Finals can be over before the end of the first week of April; hand out all the seasonal awards a couple few days after that, and let Free Agency open before the Draft even starts, but not close FA until a few days after the Draft is over; cut as many pre-season games from next season's schedule as are necessary for the 20-21 season to start on time.

That looks really solid to me, i hope i'm reading and understanding and presenting it all clearly, and i hope that a month is long enough.
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 2:35 pm

I don't think you meant April though. If things go just right probably a month after the far too long playoffs would normally end.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 am

Lol you're right i meant August.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 3:24 pm

Hodgepodge wrote:
Speaking of Madison Square Gardens (MSG Co.)...Has anyone heard Steve Ballmer is in talks to buy the Inglewood Forum from MSG Co. He's trying to move the Clippers as far away from the Lakers as possible.
Did you know that in that horrible (or so i've heard, i haven't actually seen the movie) 2005 film Bewitched, which starred Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell, there's a scene where Nicole Kidman leans in to confidentially alert Will Ferrell, "I'm a witch," and his response is, "Oh yeah? I'm a Clippers fan!"

There's an episode of Family Guy where Stewie (the baby) walks out of Bewitched, and has an ~ 3 minutes sketch where he catches a cab to the airport, flies across the country to LA, buys a "Star Map" then catches a cab to a mansion, sets up a small ladder next to the front door, and rings the doorbell. When Will Ferrell answers the door, Stewie kicks him in the nuts and screams, "THAT'S NOT FUNNY!"
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyMon Apr 27, 2020 11:02 pm

*gasp*
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 6:51 pm

This season took an odd turn.

As of right now, it looks like this bubble is going to happen. I mean, the bubble has been happening, mostly very successfully, and it looks like the NBA is going to be able to proceed with the current plan for the rest of the season: 8 games per team play-in scenario, with 22 teams in contention for 16 seeds, etc.

There are a lot of interesting little sub-plots involved, even though the Knicks aren't there because the Knicks aren't one of the best 25 NBA teams, much less the best 22, and they were mathematically eliminated from this postseason already anyway.

I don't want to talk about Porzingas Hardaway and the Mavs; i don't even want to talk about Skinny Carmelo.

The NBA has announced that the league single-person award voting will be closed before play restarts. So all of the All-NBA selections, along with MVP, DPOY, Rookie of the year, Comeback etc etc etc should all be based on the games played before the restart. So i'm sincerely hoping that i can shock my dear old friend Hodge by saying that this year, i don't think Giannis should win the League MVP, in spite of scoring 29.6 ppg and bringing down 13.7 Rebounds/gm and being the best player on the winningest team. As late as early March, i would still have said Giannis would probably wind up with the MVP. However, those last 17 games are now gone, and i think somebody else did better over the course of 63 games:

LeBron James deserves a FIFTH NBA MVP award. He led the league in assists with an eye-popping 10.6 per game!!!1! and STILL scored 25.7 ppg and brought down 7.9 rebounds - and add in 1.2 steals and a half a block per game, and you've got a season the defies belief. Add in a healthy dose of best record in the West, season with only one other All-Star on the team, and you've got a SLAM DUNK on this year's MVP.

IMO  55 55 55
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 8:53 pm

Lebron has helped to bring the Lakers in from the Mojave. But I will root for the Bucks.
bball1
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 1:37 pm

The East has gotten downright interesting again. The Bucks and Raptors have been struggling since the restart, though the Bucks have been good enough to finish clinching the best overall record. however the Celtics and Heat have both looked absolutely outstanding, and the 76ers were looking dangerous until last night's news that Ben Simmons is out for the remainder of the year. Indiana has slumped, and the Nets and Magic are barely playoff teams; so the first round in the East will probably be pro forma, but the conference semis and ECF could be some great stuff.

The Wizards now have a worse record than Charlotte, who wasn't invited to the Bubble.

Out West, the Phoenix Suns have been ON FIRE, rocketing up through the standings. The Grizz have been very poor. It looks like only Portland and maybe San Antonio could keep Phoenix from that first round exit against the Lakers.

Speaking of the Lakers, they've had some rust to knock off, and though they've clinched the best record in the West, they've now dropped three straight, and they and the Clippers have looked inconsistent and a little vulnerable. None of the 3-7 teams have exactly been lighting things up either, though, although Dallas seems to have found their way in spite of a couple recent losses.

There's less than a week left before the end of the regular season now, with the final games scheduled for this Friday. There's still some room for movement in the 4-6 seeds in the East, and in the 5-7 seeds out West. I'd think that 5 seed in the West is a big improvement over the 6 or 7, as i think Houston is considerably softer in neutral site play than Denver or LAC.

I hope Hodge is doing okay, the Clippers will probably make things very interesting before it's all said and done.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySat Aug 15, 2020 1:18 pm

The bubble restart was pretty exciting, i gotta give it to the NBA: they wrote a very compelling few weeks of seeding games, and the way they set up the West to come down to the last day with four teams playing for two spots, then those two spots playing for the 8 seed, was brilliant. The only flaw was that Phoenix went 8-0 and lost out to Memphis who went 2-6, although it's only fair to note that obviously the Grizz had a solid lead AND the Grizz played a MUCH tougher 8 games than the Suns did.

I also have to give it to the NBA that aside from a few minor warts, the bubble concept was brilliant and the execution appears to have worked brilliantly too. Improper planning and/or execution could've made this whole thing a non-starter or a failure in the first week, but now a few weeks into it, most of us feel confident that the NBA can crown a legitimate champion for a season that dealt with a historically unprecedented crisis.

With that said, i feel like it's time for some playoff predictions. I see a lot of chalk in the first round, which is hardly rare in the first round, but i'm going to predict that there will be ZERO first round sweeps in the West this year, and that prediction is based heavily on the idea that Memphis can't win two elimination games in a row against the Trailblazers. Portland presents some matchup challenges for the Lakers, and the Lakers never felt like they were firing on all cylinders since the restart. I have no real doubts that the Lakers will get it going and win the series, but it could wind up going 6 or even 7 games. The significance of that is less rest. With a 35 year old LBJ as the overall leader of the team, and with several older vets like Rajon Rondo and Dwight Howard playing important roles on the team, rest is going to be a major determining factor in how well the Lakers do in the WCF and, if they win those, The Finals.

The Clippers could blow Dallas out pretty quickly. Luka Doncic deserves the accolades he's been receiving, and i'm only mad at James Dolan for how good the Mavs have been with Porzingas and Hardaway Jr teaming up with Luka, but the Mavs bench, while looking good compared league-wide, doesn't have a lot to throw at the Clips bench led by 6th man Lou Will. The Clippers starting three are better than the Mavs starting three, the Clips starting five are better. If any first round series out West could be a sweep, it'd be this one, and as the Clips are almost certainly making the WCF, the extra week or so of rest that they get from a short first round could make a big difference if the Lakers struggle early against Portland.

Denver can definitely handle Utah. Two of the truly deepest teams in the Association, yes, but like the Clips/Mavs matchup, the higher seed is better at each layer of depth. I expect Utah to win a game or two, but i'd be surprised if they win more or less than that.

Houston and OKC is a little more intriguing. I think OKC's bench will make this a fun series to watch, but i think the Rockets have too much strength in the front of the roster for them. I think this series could go anywhere from 5-7 games, but i don't think the ultimate result is in doubt.

Back East, both the Bucks and Raptors could break out the brooms against the Magic and the Nets, respectively. Brooklyn's been playing with a lot of heart, and could potentially steal a game from Toronto, but otherwise these two series will be ugly beatdowns.

The Celtics face off against Philly in the 3-6 series, and this might be the best series of the entire first round, although with Ben Simmons out, i don't see the ultimate outcome as being in doubt. The C's have found their rhythm and are a genuine threat to win it all this year, albeit a bit of a longshot. The 76ers are desperate, strong, and likely to come out swinging for the fences. I think Philly will play well and win 2 to 3 games in the series, maybe even get to 3-2 over the Celtics, but i really don't think Embiid can play at a high enough level for enough minutes night after night to get it done. The Celtics have too many weapons, too much depth, and their superior endurance and depth will win out.

A lot of people expect Miami and Indiana to be a great series, and it could well be. I think Miami wins this series handily.

So those are my first-round (and play-in) picks. It's almost straight chalk... does anybody think I'm wrong?
Back to top Go down
davidalan

davidalan

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! EmptySat Aug 15, 2020 7:26 pm

I looked up the standings and there was some weird math going on. Why should Milwaukee have played an extra game? Or did I read that wrong? Anyway I figure in the east it's going to a Milwaukee Toronto rematch. Toronto has won 9 out 10 so maybe they got momentum. If I was Milwaukee I would have lobbied harder to start the playoffs right away. I'll go with Toronto because acc. to what I looked up (and did not know) they finished hot. In the west? Lakers. Playing the Clippers in the west finals in Florida? Um. Unfortunate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2019-2020 Season! Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2019-2020 Season!   2019-2020 Season! Empty

Back to top Go down

2019-2020 Season!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next