AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 Empty 
gin (20877)
Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch

Go down 
+12
FrodoFraggins
Bee
TBC
Jane
MrBill60
stuntdog
Nessess
His Royal Dorkness
Big John
desi
vonnegut
Warthawg1
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Should be tonight
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Okay... I get it. Wow.

The Empty child and The Doctor dances

The thing is though is with changing Doctors and what-not, how does the rest of the
series hold up against what I just saw? I mean at the Doctor Who awards show, this two
part episode probably brought home some bling.

So as it progressed it was giving me this spooky S-King vibe. Genuinely spooky and 
suspenseful it was, and I was enjoying it well enough on that level even if I thought the
gas mask transformation was a bit hokey. 

Then when the scene at the crash site came about, everything just fell into place as a
pretty masterful piece of writing. What had seemed hokey before now made perfect
sense, and the whole story was shown to be so very well crafted.

I don’t really have a lot of detailed analysis to get into as I just want to savor what
I just consumed, but I will note a couple of things.. 

The actors - I loved the girl playing Nancy, while the Doctor and Rose were
their usual great selves. Captain Jack Harkness was good as well, but whoever
it was playing Nancy was great. 
The interaction between Rose and the Doctor - My how their relationship has grown.
I saw it over the past few episodes, but this took it to a new level. The post-breakup
back together now and better than ever level after having called her an ape.
The Doctor pleading for “just this once”.. was packed with emotion, as was the result 
of his plea.

It was all really lovely, the Doctor danced, and this one time... 
Everybody lived.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 pm

Florence Hoath as Nancy.  What a wonderful performance.

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 TNLm1yg
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 12:10 am

She was fantastic.
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin
desi

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 12:43 am

you'll love the 10th Doctor
Back to top Go down
TBC

TBC

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 3:19 am

desi wrote:
you'll love the 10th Doctor

Pumbaa and I are old pals. I can lay you good odds he won't.
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin
desi

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 am

But he's so good and the stories are awesome
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm done watching, nothing compares to those episodes.

(j/k about not watching further).
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 2:20 pm

Well i know the next episode will disappoint me.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Just a few notes. .

Loved the history..  

- In Britain's darkest hour there is hope.  Loved Nancy's question to Rose, "Are you German?" and Rose's response.

- Rose's Union Jack tee-shirt, particularly illuminated by searchlights,  makes a great bullseye for those German Messerschmitts and Heinkels.

- Love Capt. Jack's remark about the Doctor looking like a U-Boat commander.  Makes me wonder what the people in the club thought when he stood up in front of the microphone.

-Did I mention the period music?    

- the strays. A really nice job of how they were depicted, and we got the story of why some of them weren't in the country with most of the children.  I have to wonder if Nancy's story, and how she stole food from the wealthy and those who had their little secrets, and taking care of those kids,  was based on actual events.  Just superb writing in either case.   "Yes Miss", the respect shown by the kids to Nancy shows her to be wise beyond her years and extremely responsible. yes, motherly. ;)

The Doctor to Nancy:

"1941. Right now, not very far from here the German war machine is rolling up the map of Europe. Country after country, falling like Dominoes. Nothing can stop it, nothing until one tiny, damp little island says "no". No, not here. A mouse in front of a lion. You're amazing. The lot of you. Don't know what you do to Hitler, but you frighten the hell out of me. Off you go, then. Do what you got to do. Save the world."
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Okay... I get it. Wow.

heart2 heart2 heart2 heart2 heart2

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm so, so angry right now that the analysis post I did for these episodes,
when Mo was watching, is now gone. I got real deep into it. Oh well.

I was having one of those "so tired, go to bed at 9:30" nights last night. Tonight I'll rewatch and comment more.

Warthawg1 wrote:

The Empty child and The Doctor dances

The thing is though is with changing Doctors and what-not, how does the rest of the
series hold up against what I just saw? I mean at the Doctor Who awards show, this two
part episode probably brought home some bling.

What you just saw was written by Steven Moffat.
He does a handful of other (really fantastic) episodes over the course of the next few seasons.
Then, in S5, he takes over the show altogether. He's a wildly controversial show-runner (or, was-- he just finished his run and passed the reins to another, just now), as far as how his single episodes stack up against his season-long arcs, but as much criticism as I can (and sometimes do) throw at him, he's a DAMN good writer.

This episode was a tone-setter. The show is like this. It learned how to be like this from Moffat.
There will always be silly episodes, and middle-of-the-road episodes, but there are also always REALLY GOOD episodes. This one isn't even my favorite, it's just the FIRST time I was really blown away.

As far as changing Doctors and characters, 9 is my first and will always be special to me, but 10 and 12 are really hard to beat. Most people consider 10 to be the best (with good reason), 12 has kind of a tone that is very like 9, imo, but with a bit more grumpiness and sarcasm, I adore him.
I never got into 11, but he had the best Companions, so, it balanced out.

You'll find as you go, that even when the Doctor changes, it's still the Doctor. The show is very careful to bring that feeling into it, all the time.

Quote :

So as it progressed it was giving me this spooky S-King vibe. Genuinely spooky and 
suspenseful it was, and I was enjoying it well enough on that level even if I thought the
gas mask transformation was a bit hokey. 

Then when the scene at the crash site came about, everything just fell into place as a
pretty masterful piece of writing. What had seemed hokey before now made perfect
sense, and the whole story was shown to be so very well crafted.

Yes.

Quote :

I don’t really have a lot of detailed analysis to get into as I just want to savor what
I just consumed, but I will note a couple of things.. 

The actors - I loved the girl playing Nancy, while the Doctor and Rose were
their usual great selves. Captain Jack Harkness was good as well, but whoever
it was playing Nancy was great. 
The interaction between Rose and the Doctor - My how their relationship has grown.
I saw it over the past few episodes, but this took it to a new level. The post-breakup
back together now and better than ever level after having called her an ape.

Oh yes. Rose and the Doctor and their dancing around each other (pun intended), this is why you can't skip S1. From "random chick travelling in the Tardis," she has become so much more.

As you can see by the end, Captain Jack will be around for a while, and he is a fuckin TON of fun. One of my favorite secondary-Companions. Even his flirting can't really come between Rose and Doctor for but so long, though, lol.

Quote :

The Doctor pleading for “just this once”.. was packed with emotion, as was the result 
of his plea.

That's when I became a fan of this show. And as much as 10 is an icon, and as much gravity and complexity he brings to the role, only Eccleston could have pulled off that scene the way he did.
I finally understood who the Doctor is, with that scene, how much he carries in his heart. How important that moment of grace was for him.
Man just thinking about it gave me chills.

Quote :

It was all really lovely, the Doctor danced, and this one time... 
Everybody lived.

Arrrrgh I want the fucking post I made about this episode. Dammit.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Well i know the next episode will disappoint me.

Next episode is lighter fare, but still better than, like, episode 7 with the news station.

After that, season ends with a nice bang.

S2 has many, many great episodes.
S3 has, possibly, more.

If you made it this far, you're probably in for quite a while, at least.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 pm

I haven't seen S2 in years and I really don't remember much of it, so it'll be new to me.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Episode titles in S2:

The Girl in the Fireplace, Impossible Planet / Satan Pit, New Earth, Army of Ghosts / Doomsday...

Those 6 of the 13 are, imo, the best.

Although the others are also fun.

Except "Love and Monsters." That's the only one I'll recommend for Warty to skip. Nothing can redeem that garbage of an episode.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 pm

I saw "New Earth" last night and it may not be the worst of the worst, but damn there were some really cringeworthy scenes in it.

I guess I need to mentally distance myself from EC/TDD because there were some clunkers in S1, too.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 11:17 pm

I enjoyed all of the episodes in S1 so far, despite the fact that it seems several may have been quite far
from ever receiving critical acclaim from the collective realm of fandom.

I guess that’s a good sign, but I am already sad that this is the only season for the 9th doctor.

He has really grown on me.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
I enjoyed all of the episodes in S1 so far, despite the fact that it seems several may have been quite far

I guess that’s a good sign, but I am already sad that this is the only season for the 9th doctor.

DAMMIT SPOILERS WHO SPOILED YOU.

It's much better when you don't know when Doctors or Companions exit.

I do think that 10 will grow on you, as well. It's just a matter of how many episodes it will take.

Honestly, for all that I mourned when 9 went, it was about 30 minutes into 10's first episode when I was sold.
Back to top Go down
Bee

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 1:09 am

Ahhh! Yay for this thread. I shall read it tonight and relive the season. Woohoo!

Update: thanks for this- I'm ready to rewatch S2. I liked Eccleston. He sold me on the show. I feel he was perfect as the doctor who braced the jolt of transitioning from old to new? I'm not sure since I haven't seen the old, but in general- the story is a bit jarring. I needed the doctor to be goofy and bizzare, but also very fast/to the point, and in control. Enough to ask, "Who is this doctor person? What is wrong with him? And, why do I love everything he does/think he's so cool?" But, he's not so adorable like the 10th doctor- not at all, honestly. Completely chaotic and just go-go-go, no time to wait! I couldn't imagine missing him on purpose. What a waste! The farting episode was quite shit, btw. Agree 100%
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 6:55 am

vonnegut wrote:
Warthawg1 wrote:

DAMMIT SPOILERS WHO SPOILED YOU.

It's much better when you don't know when Doctors or Companions exit.

I do think that 10 will grow on you, as well.  It's just a matter of how many episodes it will take.

Honestly, for all that I mourned when 9 went, it was about 30 minutes into 10's first episode when I was sold.  

This is pretty much unavoidable. Almost everyone in this thread has talked about the 9th Doctor vs the 10th, and then the next and then
the next, and then we have the new one coming... etc

... and I’m pretty good at maths.

I know that the current Doc had only 1 season. Tennant is next and I
think he has a 5 year run(?)... the  there is some other guy, and then there is some other guy who was there for 2 or 3.. then Peter Capaldi
who I think you had as an avatar or signature and he was there for 3 again I think. The new Doctor is #13 and will be a woman.

Way too much talk and just having a general awareness makes it hard
to be completely pure about that.
Back to top Go down
FrodoFraggins

FrodoFraggins

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 pm

vonnegut wrote:
I'm so, so angry right now that the analysis post I did for these episodes,
when Mo was watching, is now gone.  I got real deep into it.  Oh well.

I tried finding archives of the forum on the wayback machine but had no luck Sad

BTW: this is my first post on these forums. :)

I didn't start watching Nu Who until after Eccleston left and so my views on Eccleston versus Tennant are skewed towards Tennant. For me, Tennant and Tom Baker are tied for my favorite Doctors with no one else close at all. They are both excellent at both dark and light material. Eccleston skewed a bit towards the brooding but more mysterious side. Which is fine as he brought a bit more weight to the role in that regard.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 pm

OMG FRODO!!!
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:

This is pretty much unavoidable. Almost everyone in this thread has talked about the 9th Doctor vs the 10th, and then the next and then
the next, and then we have the new one coming... etc

... and I’m pretty good at maths.

I know that the current Doc had only 1 season. Tennant is next and I
think he has a 5 year run(?)... the  there is some other guy, and then there is some other guy who was there for 2 or 3.. then Peter Capaldi
who I think you had as an avatar or signature and he was there for 3 again I think. The new Doctor is #13 and will be a woman.

Way too much talk and just having a general awareness makes it hard
to be completely pure about that.

I suppose that's true.
But yes, Tennant (10) has a good long run.
Then only one other guy (11), then Capaldi, the grumpy old man I had in my av/sig, who is 12 heart2
And yes, 13 is going to be a woman.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm

At least you aren't spoiled on the companions, maybe.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Bee wrote:
Ahhh! Yay for this thread. I shall read it tonight and relive the season. Woohoo!

Update: thanks for this- I'm ready to rewatch S2. I liked Eccleston. He sold me on the show. I feel he was perfect as the doctor who braced the jolt of transitioning from old to new? I'm not sure since I haven't seen the old, but in general- the story is a bit jarring. I needed the doctor to be goofy and bizzare, but also very fast/to the point, and in control. Enough to ask, "Who is this doctor person? What is wrong with him? And, why do I love everything he does/think he's so cool?" But, he's not so adorable like the 10th doctor- not at all, honestly. Completely chaotic and just go-go-go, no time to wait! I couldn't imagine missing him on purpose. What a waste! The farting episode was quite shit, btw. Agree 100%

Definitely hop on in when Warty does S2.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 1:45 am

Just watched 11, 12, and 13.

Damn.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Apparently the inter-web’s ate my post I made this morning
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 12:28 pm

It eventually had to burp after eating all of losttv-forum, mymedia-forum, and mypolitics-forum.

I bet it was hungry again after that burp.

I hate the interwebz some times. gross
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Apparently the inter-web’s ate my post I made this morning

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 D0e5c74cb589190aab91829852291bff
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 am

I just watched "The Girl in the Fireplace". That's the episode that turned me around on the 10th Doctor.
Great episode.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Well I guess I will have high expectations for that one when Inget there.

The post that the interwebz ate said something about how on the surface that
episode was back to the light campy sci-fi fare of the earlier episodes, but it was
actually delving into some deeper issues. Issues like is the deliverer of the law
responsible for the law being just. 

There was some more stuff I said as well... I am sure it was insightful, but I
don’t remember.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Well I guess I will have high expectations for that one when Inget there.

The post that the interwebz ate said something about how on the surface that
episode was back to the light campy sci-fi fare of the earlier episodes, but it was
actually delving into some deeper issues. Issues like is the deliverer of the law
responsible for the law being just. 

There was some more stuff I said as well... I am sure it was insightful, but I
don’t remember.

I can imagine what it said.

Really I made the "lighter fare" post before re-watching it myself.

I think I've only seen this one twice, and it impressed me more this time than I remember. It seems like "filler" but there is actually a lot going on there, on a lot of levels.

Plus all of the Rose/Mickey-the-Idiot interactions.

Maybe I'll make a post tonight.

Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Yeah that was it... i mentioned it going back to touching the aftershock of Rose going
travelling, but it was really hard for me to care a lot because Rose+Doctor > Rose+Mickey/Ricky.

There is a bit too much deus ex machina in the show, but it doesn’t bother me as much
as it has with some other shows. I’m okay with it because they’ve been up front with it
from the beginning.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Rose+Doctor > Rose+Mickey/Ricky.

Oh hell yeah.

I do like that they finally had it out, though, Mickey like "dude, you run off with some alien and I'm supposed to put my life on hold?"
But he does put his life on hold, of course, because he's a fucking doormat.

There's the aforementioned issue you mentioned with enforcing law / judging the justice of law. Although while the Slitheen (I know that's the family, not the species, but I can't be arsed to look up the species) of execution sounds AWFULLY grisly, it's not like she's innocent. She was going to literally murder an entire planet.

One bit I LOVED:
(copy/pasting from transcripts)
Quote :

MARGARET: I promise you I've changed since we last met, Doctor. There was this girl, just today. A young thing, something of a danger. She was getting too close. I felt the blood lust rising, just as the family taught me, I was going to kill her without a thought. And then I stopped. She's alive somewhere right now. She's walking around this city because I can change. I did change. I know I can't prove it
DOCTOR: I believe you.
MARGARET: Then you know I'm capable of better.
DOCTOR: It doesn't mean anything.
MARGARET: I spared her life.
DOCTOR: You let one of them go, but that's nothing new. Every now and then, a little victim's spared because she smiled, because he's got freckles, because they begged. And that's how you live with yourself. That's how you slaughter millions. Because once in a while, on a whim, if the wind's in the right direction, you happen to be kind.
MARGARET: Only a killer would know that. Is that right? From what I've seen, your funny little happy go lucky little life leaves devastation in its wake. Always moving on because you dare not look back. Playing with so many peoples lives, you might as well be a god. And you're right, Doctor. You're absolutely right. Sometimes you let one go. Let me go.

SO MUCH in this exchange.
"Always moving on because you dare not look back."
*chills*

Quote :

There is a bit too much deus ex machina in the show, but it doesn’t bother me as much
as it has with some other shows. I’m okay with it because they’ve been up front with it
from the beginning.

LOL, yes, that is part of its charm.

There is also ALL of the Time Travel issues that any Time Travel story has. Sometimes they explain it, sometimes they don't, "fixed point in time," "time can be rewritten," "time can't be rewritten," etc.
They've only barely touched on that this season, with "Father's Day," but it can get fun later on.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Okay, so now that I have time, Shit Going On In This Episode.

Where to even start.

I like that Rose tells Mickey about adventures in the Tardis that we haven't seen (the planet with the frozen ocean, etc). It's the first time it's acknowledged that they aren't just going from crisis to crisis-- we just see the crises because those are the episodes. We aren't seeing just the normal zipping around to all kinds of cool places and times (not enough plot there).
It makes it much more believable, the bond between Rose and the Doctor. They've spent more time together than just the screen time.

The Doctor going cold again. We've seen him go cold before, in "Dalek." It's easy to forget that side of him, but Eccleston (and later, Tennant) do a good job of it (I'll let you find out about Smith-- 11-- on your own).
He does find an alternative to delivering her up for execution, but if he hadn't, would he have given her up to be killed? I think absolutely. Would he have watched, as she asked? I think he could have.
Quote :
DOCTOR: You've been in that skin suit too long. You've forgotten. There used to be a real Margaret Blaine. You killed her and stripped her and used the skin. You're pleading for mercy out of a dead woman's lips.
After all, he's super pissed off at her.

And finding the humane way doesn't mean that he can't do horrible things when he feels it necessary. I can't remember how much has come out about the Time War, at this point, but I know Dalek touches on it pretty hard-- *looks up transcript*
Quote :

DALEK: I demand orders!
DOCTOR: They're never going to come! Your race is dead! You all burnt, all of you. Ten million ships on fire. The entire Dalek race wiped out in one second.
DALEK: You lie!
DOCTOR: I watched it happen. I made it happen.
DALEK: You destroyed us?
DOCTOR: I had no choice.
DALEK: And what of the Time Lords?
DOCTOR: Dead. They burnt with you. The end of the last great Time War. Everyone lost.
"I made it happen... I had no choice."

Compare this with:
Quote :
MARGARET: Public execution's a slow death. They prepare a thin acetic acid, lower me into the cauldron and boil me. The acidity is perfectly gauged to strip away the skin. Internal organs fall out into the liquid, and I become soup. And still alive, still screaming.
DOCTOR: I don't make the law.
MARGARET: But you deliver it. Will you stay to watch?
DOCTOR: What else can I do?
Which is an "I have no choice" echo.

Of course, in the end, he manages to find an alternative, using the power of the Time Vortex inside of the Tardis (which comes off here like a deus ex machina, but it's consistent in retrospect, the Time Vortex comes up again much more than once).
Quote :
DOCTOR: She can start again. Live her life from scratch. If we take her home, give her to a different family, tell them to bring her up properly, she might be all right!
JACK: Or she might be worse.
DOCTOR: That's her choice.

I find it neat that his solution addresses the nature/nurture debate-- was she evil because she was raised to be by her fucked up family, and can she actually change and be better?

Maybe it's reckless to allow the possibility that she'll be worse, as Jack says, but this at least gives the Doctor a chance to not have to kill by proxy.
And a recurrence of "choice," in a little thematic nod.

The Doctor identifies with her too much. And I think, in part, his coldness towards her is a reflection of his unforgiving attitude with himself, someone who has-- as he says-- "slaughtered millions." But sometimes you let one go. He's giving her a choice, something he feels he didn't have.

But also him playing with her teleporter and having her run towards them over and over again was pretty funny.
Shit like that made me remember the goofiness of this episode, but I'm glad I rewatched and caught the non-goofy stuff.

Oh, and I have to give a shout out to this excellent line:
MARGARET (while holding Rose hostage): One wrong move and she snaps like a promise.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Have we ever met a Slithereen with a heart? We only have a sample from the family, not the species. Who knows, maybe the entire species is that way, so giving her a second chance at life won't make a bit of difference.

I love the new location in Cardiff, Wales. I keep forgetting that there's a completely different Welsh language and script there. Cool seeing it on buildings and billboards.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 12:29 pm

LOL, and the "Bad Wolf" in Welsh.

"Nah, probably a coincidence."
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Languages interest me and it's interesting hearing interviews in Welsh with actors such as Ian Rheon and Rhys Ifans.  We're so used to hearing them speaking English on screen.

for size:
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 1:05 am

MrBill60 wrote:
Have we ever met a Slithereen with a heart?  We only have a sample from the family, not the species. Who knows, maybe the entire species is that way, so giving her a second chance at life won't make a bit of difference.  

I think you are missing a major point here.

If the entire species is that way, then why in the F did the death sentence come about?

We’ve only met a family, not a species. You have only seen the equivalent of the  Firefly family from “The house of a Thousand corpses” and judging the human race from that.

Who knows is right I suppose, but something sets this family apart
from the rest of the species.

Plus the Doctor knows a lot things... why would he give her a second chance if this a species thing?
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 2:31 pm

That makes sense. I initially thought that she might be lying about the execution, but it's central to the story, so it must be true. I don't recall if the Doctor commented on the species when they first landed in the earlier episode. Might have to revisit that.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 pm

From the wikia that encompasses all canon works (not just the show):

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Raxacoricofallapatorian
Quote :
Unlike the Slitheen and Blathereen families most Raxacoricofallapatorians were a peaceful race that taught their children maths and poetry. They made their home world a paradise for them and other peace loving species and some of them were brilliant farmers but they despise criminal members of their species and punish them without mercy.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Great resource, I'll definitely be referencing it.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:

Plus the Doctor knows a lot things

He knows a whole lot of things.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 pm

Bad news: no new episodes

Good news: new hardwood floors in my house
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Warthawg1 wrote:
Bad news: no new episodes

Good news: new hardwood floors in my house

I approve of hardwood floors, so I will forgive your transgression.

I'm actually rewatching ep 12 right now. It's goofy as fuck, lol, but it gets heavy in 13.

Save time when you can watch both together, they are a two-part.
Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 12:15 am

Dude... these floors are like... awesome. 

So am I at 12-13 now? I think i might be.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 am

You are indeed.

I'm going to go ahead and post my comments while I watch.

Don't click the spoiler tag (in the post I make after this one) until you've watched and commented.
Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 12:37 am

episode 12:

Back to top Go down
vonnegut

vonnegut

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 2:07 am

episode 13:

Back to top Go down
Warthawg1

Warthawg1

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 6:40 pm

I’ll try and get at it tonight.

Yes, I mean watching Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wartys Dr. Who First Watch   Wartys Dr. Who First Watch - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wartys Dr. Who First Watch
Page 3 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next