AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inMovie Review - Page 5 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMovie Review - Page 5 EmptyMovie Review - Page 5 Empty 
gin (20877)
Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMovie Review - Page 5 EmptyMovie Review - Page 5 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14878)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6906)

Movie Review

Go down 
+11
Pi-O-My
stuntdog
ExpletiveDeleted
Zaphod
Big John
desi
iwantmycrayons
blondie
Ez
Derek
gin
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Big John

Big John

Movie Review - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am

Unfriended: Dark Web 6/10, Cable worthy - A group of friends gather online for game night only to be stalked by a murderous hacker. I enjoyed this film which takes place through the lens of a computer screen. The ending wasn't as predictible as one minght think and the suspense throughout kept me interested

Venom, 7/10, Dollar Theater worthy - Origin story about an anti-hero hero who bites off human's heads when they are bad. I didn't expect much from this Tom Hardy vehicle and so I was pleasantly surprised. Superhero movies are a dime a dozen these days and rather uninspiring at that. Origin stories, however, are usually a fun ride and this flick is no different.

Await Further Instructions 6/10, Cable worthy - Weird sci-fi-ish social experiment type of film about a family quaranteed in their own home by an unknown force presumed to be the government. Things devolve into madness as the family disagrees on how to handle the extremes of the situation. The ending, once again, is not easily predicted.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 4:27 pm

I thought the first Unfriended was pretty good, so I'll get to the second one -- but glad to see I don't need to rush because there's a lot out there right now!

Where is Kyra? is devastating, totally devastating. The imagery is amazing, expertly composed to keep you distanced while the story draws you in. The photography is dark, desaturated – the only color much of the time is Kyra’s yellow coat so that coat becomes a marker for her identity, covered with a plastic poncho when she’s reduced to handing out flyers in the rain, and
serious spoiler:

Michelle Pfeiffer gives a terrific performance, as does Keifer Sutherland (who tells a whole backstory in the tone of his voice when he loses the temper he’s been struggling to control.) Pfeiffer uses her fragility as a strength here, and it’s just heartbreaking to watch her character struggle, desperate to catch a break. Really a terrific movie, though seriously depressing.

Tully was an interesting look at motherhood, but I was seriously bothered by the heroine’s husband. The movie is from the heroine’s perspective, so it’s hard to know how much of the husband’s insensitivity to her needs is partly the wife’s fault for never asking him for help. And I absolutely hated the last shot
the last shot:

But it's worth seeing because it's a pretty much well-written take on how overwhelming parenting can be, and Charlize Theron and Mackenzie Davis make a great mother/nanny team.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 pm

Halloween - not bad. I still prefer the original one as MM seems more menacing and less Jason-like. He was so unhurried in the original, this new one he does rush around a bit.

Last edited by Zaphod on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 am

Bad Times At The El Royale, 7/10, Dollar Theater worthy - Tarantinoesque thriller with a great cast. If you like the genre, El Royale (with cheese) is worth price of admission.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Big John wrote:
Bad Times At The El Royale, 7/10, Dollar Theater worthy - Tarantinoesque thriller with a great cast. If you like the genre, El Royale (with cheese) is worth price of admission.

Trying not to choke from laughing while eating my burger. I loved Cabin in the Woods so I'm hoping to get to this one.

Let me recommend Berlin Express, an excellent 1948 movie by Jacques Tourneur. It's set during the aftermath of WWII (including doc footage of Frankfurt and Berlin in ruins) with an international group trying to help set Germany on a better course. The plot makes sense, the action is tight, the performances are good, especially Robert Ryan. There's a great scene in a derelict brewery, and a scene toward the end that's as tense as Tourneur's great horror work. Maybe the politics gets a bit abstract -- the very last shot says it all about why the world needs peace -- but it's not overbearing.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Ballad of Buster Scruggs: mild, but pretty good. some very nice photography. 7/10
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Finally got to see Doctor Strange. 7/10, really well done. At first i thought that starting with his origin story might be a mistake, that they could've started with something a little more exotic, but they razzle-dazzled up his origin enough to make it a fine movie. Cucumberbunny was outstanding in the role, and it was almost as much of a visual feast as i'd have wanted.

I'd hoped for lots of dimension hopping insanity with Clea, of which i got none, but at least they did a good job with the brief time spent in the Dark Dimensions, and while i would've enjoyed a Dread Dormommu closer to the one in the comics, this one worked just fine and i can't complain.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Never read the comics but enjoyed the film. Felt bad for that Lambo, though.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 11, 2019 3:41 pm

I thought they did a great job with his swirly wrist motion thingies, something I felt the comics didn't consistently do.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 am

Agreed, the visual aspects of the film were definitely top-notch.

If you'd told me 20 years ago that i'd enjoy a Doctor Strange movie, and that shortly thereafter, an Aquaman movie would become a massive blockbuster, i might have suggested a good therapist. Yet, here we are.

I finally started Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode VIII) last night. It's pretty good. I'm pretty well aware of how much hate this movie got and i was prepared for a much weaker film but expected to love it anyway. So far it's definitely not weak overall - it does have a few eyeroll moments but every Star Wars has had those for me. Furthermore i've always viewed the series as being overtly political and even started a thread at MyPolitics called Politics In Pop Culture: Star Wars about it. To me, this seems like one of the less overtly political SW films. Anyway, i expect i'll write more about it after i finish it.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 14, 2019 6:54 pm

The House that Jack Built: rent worthy. Very good job by Matt Dillon - interesting character he portrays you both are intrigued by and hate for things he does. Some nice directing by Lars Von Trier too. Also some unintentional funny moments. If you like dark and aren't squeamish, check it out.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Mary Poppins Returns.  Very nostalgic and a pretty worthy sequel.  Some good original tunes and animated sequences,  and I'm relieved that Emily Blunt can sing without the aid of autotune (re: Emma Watson in BaTB).  She's no Julie Andrews but comes as close as a mere mortal can. I had a smile on my face the whole way through.  Some fun cameos by DVD and Angela Landsbury.  7.5/10.

Last edited by MrBill60 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 20, 2019 2:00 pm

MrBill60 wrote:
Mary Poppins Returns.  Very nostalgic and a pretty worthy sequel.  Some good original tunes and animated sequences,  and I'm relieved that Emily Blunt can sing without the aid of autotune (re: Emma Watson in BiTB).  She's no Julie Andrews but comes as close as a mere mortal can. I had a smile on my face the whole way through.  Some fun cameos by DVD and Angela Landsbury.  7.5/10.
This is nice to hear. I'm looking forward to it. Probably not in theatre, though. Thanks for the review!

________

I finished The Last Jedi. It was good. 7/10.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 20, 2019 2:22 pm

His Royal Dorkness wrote:
MrBill60 wrote:
Mary Poppins Returns.  Very nostalgic and a pretty worthy sequel.  Some good original tunes and animated sequences,  and I'm relieved that Emily Blunt can sing without the aid of autotune (re: Emma Watson in BiTB).  She's no Julie Andrews but comes as close as a mere mortal can. I had a smile on my face the whole way through.  Some fun cameos by DVD and Angela Landsbury.  7.5/10.
This is nice to hear. I'm looking forward to it. Probably not in theatre, though. Thanks for the review!

________

I finished The Last Jedi. It was good. 7/10.

Unfortunately the new songs don't really stand out and aren't as memorable as "Supercali...", for instance, but they're fun.  Maybe old age has taken over and I have to listen to them a couple more times.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 1:34 am

I finally saw Thor: The Dark World. It had some problems but also some very nice things, a bit of a mixed bag. 5.5/10.

It was the only MCU film i'd been chronologically missing. Up next is Guardians 2 or Homecoming, whichever i get a chance at next.
Back to top Go down
Big John

Big John

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 12:16 am

Movie Review - Page 5 Split-sequel-glass--1536670085-list-handheld-0

Glass, 10/10, Opening Weekend worthy - It's important for you to understand that I'm not a fan of comics or superhero movies. Yet I give this movie a 10 despite its constant in your face reverence of and reference to them. In order to fully enjoy Glass you must first see Unbreakable and Split. I would love to tell you more but I don't want to spoil any little part if it. It's been over a year since I enjoyed a new release so much.
Back to top Go down
Zaphod

Zaphod

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 2:25 pm

agree on Glass, John. enjoyable.
ending:

Bird Box: hokey premise but a fun watch for the tension. Mist meets the Happening. Rent worthy. Surprised this is not a Shyamalan flick, it really feels like it.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyFri May 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Thank you to whomever around here (or maybe the old board since I can’t find it with the Search here) recommended Radius. That was a smart little movie. I always prefer puzzle movies like that when they have some underlying things to think about, like whether you’re always responsible for previous actions.

It may be too slow for some (though all the little details add up really well) but I loved a Korean movie called Burning. Steven Yuen (yes, sweet Glenn) is bone chilling as a – well, you’ll figure it out. Let’s just say that his cheerful chuckle will send a shiver down your spine, and he gives an amazing performance, as does Jeon Jong-seo as the girl who – well, you’ll figure it out, or maybe not. This isn’t a horror movie, more about social dislocation and lack of emotional connection, but making excellent use of beats that work in a horror movie way.
Back to top Go down
MrBill60

MrBill60

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyFri May 17, 2019 3:20 pm

I recommended Radius, Pi-o-my. Glad you enjoyed it.  Very B, but some pretty good scenes and a nice twist. I'll have to check out Burning.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyFri May 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Ah, so it was you, Mr. Bill -- thank you directly!
Back to top Go down
stuntdog

stuntdog

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptySat May 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Movie was excellent. One of my fav comedies in last 10 years, maybe ever. To be fair the last few years have had some excellent ones (Edge of Seventeen & Lady Bird) that would probably make the list as well. popcorn
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 7:20 pm

We did some movie watching this weekend.

Tops was Split, which i really only wanted to watch because i recently heard that it's the sequel to Unbreakable, which i enjoyed, and required watching before seeing Glass, which i want to watch. Based on my first watch, i'm rating Split at 9.5/10, which is an extraordinarily rare high score from me. There is so much going on in this movie that i won't try to unpack it all. This movie has it all: top-notch acting; some of the most brilliant cinematography and direction that i've ever seen; great casting; great setwork, costuming, props, and makeup; an important message; fun escapism; a twist ending that caught me by surprise even though i was thoroughly spoiled, and very solid writing. I feel that the writing could've been just a little better, which is the only thing holding me back from giving this beast a full 10/10.
Back to top Go down
Pi-O-My

Pi-O-My

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 4:53 pm

I’ve always found James McAvoy sort of creepy so I thought he was perfect for Split. And I was pleasantly surprised that the girls weren’t all screechy and dimwitted.

Speaking of terrific performances, I'd recommend Ben is Back. It feels much more real than Beautiful Boy (not to imply bad performances there) and with a lot more tension than most problem-child-goes-home movies.
Back to top Go down
His Royal Dorkness

His Royal Dorkness

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 02, 2020 10:10 pm

Just watched Jane Eyre starring Orson Welles. It was sublime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Review   Movie Review - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie Review
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5