AFTER LOST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFTER LOST

A place to talk about your favorite shows after Lost

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog inUnder the Dome - Page 3 TVGuidebbtn
Top posters
desi (22502)
Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyUnder the Dome - Page 3 EmptyUnder the Dome - Page 3 Empty 
gin (20877)
Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyUnder the Dome - Page 3 EmptyUnder the Dome - Page 3 Empty 
blondie (18214)
Derek (15292)
ExpletiveDeleted (14879)
iwantmycrayons (13554)
Avalon (9543)
Ez (9256)
Goof (7490)
MrBill60 (6907)

Under the Dome

Go down 
+6
Iggy
ExpletiveDeleted
gin
JJ
blondie
iwantmycrayons
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Ez
Ez

Under the Dome - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:02 pm

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 pm

iwantmycrayons wrote:
Ez wrote:
I have started reading the book, I have noticed a few changes already and I am only a few chapters into it.
i started 3 years ago and that's about as far as I am tongue

Read more so we can nitpick further. coffee
Back to top Go down
gin
Admin
gin

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Ez wrote:
I have started reading the book, I have noticed a few changes already and I am only a few chapters into it.

worst book evar
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 7:54 am

JJ wrote:
iwantmycrayons wrote:
Ez wrote:
i started 3 years ago and that's about as far as I am tongue

Read more so we can nitpick further. coffee
gonna read some more tonight and over the weekend, I have 12 weeks to see if I can stay ahead of the nitpick curve
Back to top Go down
JJ

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 12:19 pm

My biggest problem right now though....

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 4:41 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome

ok, this was useful in reminding me of who the characters are.  I couldn't remember Rusty and I remember Norrie (her name anyway) but not her mothers - now i know why
Back to top Go down
JJ

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 pm

You didn't remember Rusty?! :O
Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 pm

No Embarassed It's been a while
Back to top Go down
JJ

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 am

re-read. I bet you'll lap Vod. coffee
Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 8:18 am

I did think about that but its just too long. lol 

I have too many books waiting. smilingnerd 
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 8:30 am

JJ wrote:
that wouldn' take too long, I bet EZ has already passed me
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin
desi

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 am

Finally watched.. ill watch a couple more episodes, but I dunno if i'll get into this one

The wind blew with a new purpose.

The destruction of a fabrication that once held all the answers.

It destroyed them; swallowed them whole.

Passed through the digestive system of a monster named truth.

-Astaria Stone

Back to top Go down
JJ

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 10:51 am

iwantmycrayons wrote:
JJ wrote:
that wouldn' take too long, I bet EZ has already passed me

lol...I can almost guarantee he did. lol2 
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 10:52 am

blondie wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome

ok, this was useful in reminding me of who the characters are.  I couldn't remember Rusty and I remember Norrie (her name anyway) but not her mothers - now i know why
it's Kim Kardasian isn't it?/

btw- stupid stupid name, not a bad nickname but naming a kid North west is effin ridonculous
Back to top Go down
gin
Admin
gin

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

A Letter From Stephen

For those of you out there in Constant Reader Land who are feeling miffed because the TV version of Under the Dome varies considerably from the book version, here's a little story.

Near the end of his life, and long after his greatest novels were written, James M. Cain agreed to be interviewed by a student reporter who covered culture and the arts for his college newspaper. This young man began his time with Cain by bemoaning how Hollywood had changed books such as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity. Before he could properly get into his rant, the old man interrupted him by pointing to a shelf of books behind his desk. "The movies didn't change them a bit, son," he said. "They're all right up there. Every word is the same as when I wrote them."

I feel the same way about Under the Dome. If you loved the book when you first read it, it's still there for your perusal. But that doesn't mean the TV series is bad, because it's not. In fact, it's very good. And, if you look closely, you'll see that most of my characters are still there, although some have been combined and others have changed jobs. That's also true of the big stuff, like the supermarket riot, the reason for all that propane storage, and the book's thematic concerns with diminishing resources.

Many of the changes wrought by Brian K. Vaughan and his team of writers have been of necessity, and I approved of them wholeheartedly. Some have been occasioned by their plan to keep the Dome in place over Chester's Mill for months instead of little more than a week, as is the case in the book. Other story modifications are slotting into place because the writers have completely re-imagined the source of the Dome.

That such a re-imagining had to take place was my only serious concern when the series was still in the planning stages, and that concern was purely practical. If the solution to the mystery were the same on TV as in the book, everyone would know it in short order, which would spoil a lot of the fun (besides, plenty of readers didn't like my solution, anyway). By the same token, it would spoil things if you guys knew the arcs of the characters in advance. Some who die in the book—Angie, for instance—live in the TV version of Chester's Mill…at least for a while. And some who live in the book may not be as lucky during the run of the show. Just sayin'.

Listen, I've always been a situational writer. My idea of what to do with a plot is to shoot it before it can breed. It's true that when I start a story, I usually have a general idea of where it's going to finish up, but in many cases I end up in a different place entirely (for instance, I fully expected Ben Mears to die at the end of 'Salem's Lot, and Susannah Dean was supposed to pop off at the end of Song of Susannah). "The book is the boss," Alfred Bester used to say, and what that means to me is the situation is the boss. If you play fair with the characters—and let them play their parts according to their strengths and weaknesses—you can never go wrong. It's impossible.

There's only one element of my novel that absolutely had to be the same in the novel and the show, and that's the Dome itself. It's best to think of that novel and what you're seeing week-to-week on CBS as a case of fraternal twins. Both started in the same creative womb, but you will be able to tell them apart. Or, if you're of a sci-fi bent, think of them as alternate versions of the same reality.

As for me, I'm enjoying the chance to watch that alternate reality play out; I still think there's no place like Dome.

As for you, Constant Reader, feel free to take the original down from your bookshelf anytime you want. Nothing between the covers has changed a bit.

Stephen King
June 27th, 2013
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:21 pm

gin wrote:
A Letter From Stephen

For those of you out there in Constant Reader Land who are feeling miffed because the TV version of Under the Dome varies considerably from the book version, here's a little story.

Near the end of his life, and long after his greatest novels were written, James M. Cain agreed to be interviewed by a student reporter who covered culture and the arts for his college newspaper. This young man began his time with Cain by bemoaning how Hollywood had changed books such as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity. Before he could properly get into his rant, the old man interrupted him by pointing to a shelf of books behind his desk. "The movies didn't change them a bit, son," he said. "They're all right up there. Every word is the same as when I wrote them."

I feel the same way about Under the Dome. If you loved the book when you first read it, it's still there for your perusal. But that doesn't mean the TV series is bad, because it's not. In fact, it's very good. And, if you look closely, you'll see that most of my characters are still there, although some have been combined and others have changed jobs. That's also true of the big stuff, like the supermarket riot, the reason for all that propane storage, and the book's thematic concerns with diminishing resources.

Many of the changes wrought by Brian K. Vaughan and his team of writers have been of necessity, and I approved of them wholeheartedly. Some have been occasioned by their plan to keep the Dome in place over Chester's Mill for months instead of little more than a week, as is the case in the book. Other story modifications are slotting into place because the writers have completely re-imagined the source of the Dome.

That such a re-imagining had to take place was my only serious concern when the series was still in the planning stages, and that concern was purely practical. If the solution to the mystery were the same on TV as in the book, everyone would know it in short order, which would spoil a lot of the fun (besides, plenty of readers didn't like my solution, anyway). By the same token, it would spoil things if you guys knew the arcs of the characters in advance. Some who die in the book—Angie, for instance—live in the TV version of Chester's Mill…at least for a while. And some who live in the book may not be as lucky during the run of the show. Just sayin'.

Listen, I've always been a situational writer. My idea of what to do with a plot is to shoot it before it can breed. It's true that when I start a story, I usually have a general idea of where it's going to finish up, but in many cases I end up in a different place entirely (for instance, I fully expected Ben Mears to die at the end of 'Salem's Lot, and Susannah Dean was supposed to pop off at the end of Song of Susannah). "The book is the boss," Alfred Bester used to say, and what that means to me is the situation is the boss. If you play fair with the characters—and let them play their parts according to their strengths and weaknesses—you can never go wrong. It's impossible.

There's only one element of my novel that absolutely had to be the same in the novel and the show, and that's the Dome itself. It's best to think of that novel and what you're seeing week-to-week on CBS as a case of fraternal twins. Both started in the same creative womb, but you will be able to tell them apart. Or, if you're of a sci-fi bent, think of them as alternate versions of the same reality.

As for me, I'm enjoying the chance to watch that alternate reality play out; I still think there's no place like Dome.

As for you, Constant Reader, feel free to take the original down from your bookshelf anytime you want. Nothing between the covers has changed a bit.

Stephen King
June 27th, 2013
he didn't mention kim kardashians stupid name for a kid once in that letter tongue 
Back to top Go down
JJ

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 12:38 pm

I still want the damn corgi. 36 
Back to top Go down
gin
Admin
gin

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 5:20 pm

i loved his little letter to us. it's a different story but has a similar theme. ah i do idolize that man. leg
Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm

I guess it's nice that we can just watch it and get surprised again.
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 am

I totally forgot this was on last night, and was fast asleep,
Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:06 am

I need to check the dvr - I know I have conflicts on Monday nights but I must've been half asleep when I realized it because I didn't reschedule anything.

I'm not worried about it - I can catch up on vacation.
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 am

blondie wrote:
I need to check the dvr - I know I have conflicts on Monday nights but I must've been half asleep when I realized it because I didn't reschedule anything.

I'm not worried about it -  I can catch up on vacation.  
I know they replayed the first eppy sunday night, not sure if they will keep doing that, i'll watch it tonight in between my red sox viewing.....and whatever else i have to do to get ready to go away this weekend
Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:48 am

I couldn't possibly add another show on Sundays - I always have about 5 hours of TV to watch without added repeats into it

The Phillies are playing Pittsburgh so they're probably not worth watching 987 
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:53 am

blondie wrote:
I couldn't possibly add another show on Sundays - I always have about 5 hours of TV to watch without added repeats into it

The Phillies are playing Pittsburgh so they're probably not worth watching 987 
funny a year or so ago that was pretty much a gauranteed win,I'll reserve judgement on how good they are til the end of the season, but if you were asked to put odds on the Red sox and Pirates having the best record in the league at the halfway point i imagine they would have been pretty steep
Back to top Go down
Derek

Derek

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 9:58 am

im not watching any new shows again until they are established...id hate to get into this and then it gets cancelled like many others...
Back to top Go down
https://afterlost.forumotion.com
gin
Admin
gin

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:12 am

isnt this a mini-series though? like its not going to go on for many seasons... just this one? i thought?
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:18 am

gin wrote:
isnt this a mini-series though? like its not going to go on for many seasons... just this one? i thought?
thats what they said, 13 eppys, but Tv will try to make it a series if they can make money off of it
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin
desi

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:40 am

It is only 13 episodes, but the final episode in listed as a season finale not series finale... It is listed as a TV Series not a mini-series on IMDB as well

-Astaria Stone

Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 1:20 pm

desi wrote:
It is only 13 episodes, but the final episode in listed as a season finale not series finale... It is listed as a TV Series not a mini-series on IMDB as well
it will end with the main character staring up into space as he dies
Back to top Go down
gin
Admin
gin

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 2:19 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 2:21 pm

gin wrote:
lol
in 6 years, and I'll still be 3 chapters from the end tongue 
Back to top Go down
desi
Admin
desi

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 4:27 pm

was the second episode any good? I'll prolly watch it for my last hour of work if Brian isn't back by then

-Astaria Stone

Back to top Go down
desi
Admin
desi

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 5:23 pm

srsly is there any point to this whole jr and angie thing..

-Astaria Stone

Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 8:18 pm

In the book, yes. I'm getting ready to watch it now
Back to top Go down
JJ

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I liked the second episode more than the first...I'm trying to be less nit-picky. I really like Joe, the kid.

Des--the Junior/Angie thing is a big deal in the book but a totally different story...so I don't know where it's going here...just that she definitely has an affect on Junior.
Back to top Go down
blondie

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 am

I'm trying to not compare it to the book but it does get distracting.

Overall its not too bad though. Better than most SK movies.
Back to top Go down
Goof

Goof

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Under the Dome - Page 3 H3E20F55C

Admin
desi

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2013 9:14 pm

I really like the concept... and I think its interesting to point out that climate change does not affect the dome.. hmmm...

-Astaria Stone

Back to top Go down
gin
Admin
gin

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 am

hate Junior and the trek and meaningful conversation under the city.

hate the kid's "arch nemesis" at the "party" seriously - does anyone act like that for real?

i want to like this show... but it is so typical.  basically also why i hated the book. typical innacurate small town drama
Back to top Go down
Iggy

Iggy

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 11:17 pm

I liked the book, and I am trying to separate the book from the tv show, but it is difficult.

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 pm

I am liking the book a lot, the show is ok, but there are a lot of differences.

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 2:59 pm

I finished it, I didn't really like the ending.
Spoiler:

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Ez wrote:
I finished it, I didn't really like the ending.
Spoiler:

I know. 36 
Back to top Go down
Ez
Ez

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 5:02 pm

I wonder who is gonna replace him in the storyline, if they even do that part of the book. 36 

Iggy

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 pm

I was a fan of the ending either. I felt it was a bit of a cop out. But, that is just my opinion. I agree with what you said as well.

I watch the show, mainly for background, and read what others post about it, to see if it worth watching.

Goof

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 6:12 pm

smilingnerd I've never read the book (or any of Steven King) so I have the luxury of not comparing the show to anything and not knowing how it all plays out. Ignorance is bliss here.
Back to top Go down
Iggy

Iggy

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Goof, that is how I feel about The Walking Dead. I kinda wish I had not read the book. lol

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 12:34 am

Spoiler:

blondie

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 am

I really started feeling bad for Angie - released only to find Jr. waiting.

this show has veered so far off the book (as far as I can tell) that I'm not even able to compare it now. Now its just a "stephen king" movie
Back to top Go down
iwantmycrayons

iwantmycrayons

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 8:50 am

blondie wrote:
I really started feeling bad for Angie - released only to find Jr. waiting.

this show has veered so far off the book (as far as I can tell) that I'm not even able to compare it now.  Now its just a "stephen king" movie
Me too, i've decided no need to "rush" to finish that doorstop, the show, other than a town covered by an invisible dome has virtually nothing whatsoever to do with the book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Under the Dome   Under the Dome - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Under the Dome
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next